Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: PC Fucked
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 15:15 

There's a sudden lack of output from my new Cyberpower PC. As CP do not work weekends, I'm stuck without my PC and needing to get some stuff completed by tomorrow. I'm not getting a response from anyone on their forum, so here's my original post - hopefully someone on here can help.

Quote:
Hello, had my Gamer infinity GT for a week now, very pleased with it, been using it for web browsing and the odd game for a week to make sure it isn't prone to falling over. All fine.

This morning I have been using Pinnaacle Studio 11 to finish a video for some friends. I was asked by the software to install some effects from a second DVD which came bundled with Studio 11. This I did, all went well, then I was asked to shutdown and restart. The machine restarts, but I get nothing on my monitor, no signal Input'. I doubt this is pinnacle's fault, as I'm unsure what it could do to prevent the card even displaying the POST.

So... gfx card reseated on motherboard, connections checked at back of monitor and where the DVi cable joins the card - the machine sounds like it is booting as normal, and yet nothing on screen at all.

That said, a 'normal' boot for this machine has from day one involved
me pressing the power button, the machine whirrs into life for a moment, then winds down again, then whirrs back up and goes on to boot in a regular manner.

I am currently getting bip boop bip bip when booting, my motherboard is a MSI P35 Neo-F P35 Chipset LGA775 and my gfx card is a ATI Radeon HD 4850 PCI-E x16 512MB. No overclocks or anything.

I need to get my video finished and burnt off by Sunday, people are due to take it to France. Support are off at the weekends, so hopefully someone can give me some pointers here, or I am screwed.

Cheers,

Mike

/edit according to the MSI website, the power on - off - on thing is normal. I have tried the monitor with other PCs, it works fine. There are two dvi sockets on my gfx card, tried both of tem, and nothing is working still. PC boots, no display output at all. The fan on the card is spinning as it should.

Post subject: Re: PC Fucked
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 16:10 
Excellent Member

Damn, I've been thinking hard and I can't think of anything. I'll try and collar my IT colleague here and see what he says. Long shot though.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk has a good forum that may be of some help. I'll have a search when I can too, see what I can find. Bad luck mate. :(

Edit: Looked in further. It's worrying that it's not even getting to BIOS. So nothing at all comes up? No Safe mode option or anything? When I once experienced No Signal Input it was because of a resolution change, and I had to do safe mode and switch the default res back to something within my monitor/cards limitations. Sounds like this could be hardware though.

Tried it with a different monitor?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 16:50 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Last time I experianced this was the graphics card simply not being in the slot correctly, even though I thought it was. But you've checked that.

To be honest, I can't think of anything you haven't tried short of voodoo magic.

Have you tried another monitor on that PC? Try booting with the insert key held down (on some BIOS it boots straight to the settings screen which may have a different resolution or something). Have you tried simply leaving it alone for 15 minutes?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 17:47 
Excellent Member

what about the power supply? My computer has been having a similar problem and i suspect that's thereason. I thought it was because of the DVI-to-VGA adapter but since i've changed monitor and the problem remains. The monitor goes back and forth between detecting the connection and not, but only in the first few minutes while everything its cold. After a while it gets better so i suspect its the power supply. I still have to try to re-slot the gfx card though

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 17:58 

Anyone Cardiff way got a spare pci-e x16 card I can try in this fucking thing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 19:23 
Excellent Member

Goatboy wrote:

'fraid not. I've only AGP. :(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 20:37 

I don't know what the code means but ignoring that I'm voting PSU.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 21:00 

nervouspete wrote:
Goatboy wrote:

'fraid not. I've only AGP. :(

Probably for the best. I'm avoiding human contact because this fucking debalce (which stretches back months across various platforms in one way and another) has me feeling like raping someone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 22:28 
Isn't that lovely?

I've had problems before like that (the beeping any way) and it's when the gfx card has lost power connector. Plug that back in and it's been fine. Might not be the case for you, but certainly worth checking.

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 22:53 

Apparently the transcript for the beeps is

bip = I'm alive!

BOOOP = I've got USB!

biip = 1...

biip = 2....

biip = 3 devices connected via usb.

Which solves that one. I've reconnected EVERYTHING though, and still no joy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:12 

Well that's... just.... erm..... woo! I think.

Turned the thing on again this morning just to have a quick listen again to the sounds of it booting to see if I realise anything I'd missed yesterday... and it worked. First time. Booted to recovery menu, so I selected 'last known good profile' and am now sat looking at my desktop.

Very relieved, however we've still got the issue of it not giving me anything to the monitor yesterday for all day, which I don't want to be a regular occurance. I am tempted to make a sweeping guess at it being a heat issue - however I was running Pinnacle studio 9 prior to reboot and the machine has handled much more intensive apps than that, such as Sins of a Solar Empire this week.

I guess my next question then is in Vista, how do I get a log of what was going on when the graphics output was hosed? "Boot logs", or suchlike? Should be some way of nailing this issue if I can see what is or is not happening at boot.

So surprised it worked, when it sprang into life, rather than sit at my desk and use it, I backed away from it and phoned my wife!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:18 

I doubt it made it as far as Vista if it didn't POST.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:32 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 

What?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 

I believe he means that it was POSTing, just not outputting the POST results to the screen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:14 

I'm trying to find out whether I can get a log of the post, boot, and so on... but I'm not sure whether I'm being answered or not. Was Dudley's post hinting something obvious I've missed? I need a cup of tea.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:18 

I'm saying that asking Vista for logs when you implied it never got as far as even realising the PC HAS Vista is unlikely to be successful.

If it did actually boot Vista but didn't display anything you MIGHT see something in control panel / Admin tools / Event Viewer but given it's not being displayed in the BIOS it's unlikely simply because the PC isn't realising it has a graphics card, so won't be telling Vista about it in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 13:03 
Excellent Member

Goatboy wrote:
Apparently the transcript for the beeps is

bip = I'm alive!

BOOOP = I've got USB!

biip = 1...

biip = 2....

biip = 3 devices connected via usb.

Which solves that one. I've reconnected EVERYTHING though, and still no joy.

Repeated bips means your motherboard is reversing.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 14:42 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

If it were mine I'd send it back. Diagnosing self builds is one thing, but if I pay for a pre-built I expect the bastard to work perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 14:48 

Indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 14:53 
Not to be confused with elbow

A guy called 'Colin' didn't have anything to do with it did he?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 18:28 

Nope.

TBH I realise that a custom-built PC, where I've changed a few options in the spec, and which is shipped by our nation's finest couriers is going to stand a chance of shaking loose somewhere along the line.

This is a bit of a mystery though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 18:34 
Chu chu chu!

Goatboy wrote:
Nope.

TBH I realise that a custom-built PC, where I've changed a few options in the spec, and which is shipped by our nation's finest couriers is going to stand a chance of shaking loose somewhere along the line.

I had one of those built about two PCs ago. They thought they could avoid the problem by gluing everything into their respective slots. Lots of upgrading fun, that one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 22:11 

Cyberpower ones come with a sticker reminding you to take the side off, remove all the internal bubble packing and check nowt has come loose. Makes a change from Pc World machines where your warranty is invalid if you need to add a card in the first 12 months!

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]