Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Battlestar Galactica Series 4 thread
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 16:55 

God that was fucking unbelievable!

Jesus christ, they've really ramped it up to eleven. That's just... mental. I mean it's been clearly brewing but you just don't expect it to be so... can't wait for next Saturday. Dr. Who wishes it was this compelling. This show is brutal and Starbuck sat at that table was horny as all fuck. Magnigicent stuff, Galactica is still better than any cinematic action thriller for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 
I forgot about this - how vain

GovernmentYard wrote:
God that was fucking unbelievable!

Jesus christ, they've really ramped it up to eleven. That's just... mental. I mean it's been clearly brewing but you just don't expect it to be so... can't wait for next Saturday. Dr. Who wishes it was this compelling. This show is brutal and Starbuck sat at that table was horny as all fuck. Magnigicent stuff, Galactica is still better than any cinematic action thriller for a long time.

It was awesome wasn't it?

Any other show would have been:
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Earth's shit. Oh well. Lets just carry on yeah! Hug hug!

But BSG really shows the fallout for all the decisions made.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 
Meh

I was a big fan of the old Battlestar Galactica in my youth but I have missed this out from my US downloading schedule.

Is it wise to start from series 1 or could I jump in at the start of series 4 without being lost?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:56 

Nemmie wrote:
Is it wise to start from series 1 or could I jump in at the start of series 4 without being lost?
NO! Massive spoilers and hugely reduced emotional impact. You need to watch it all through.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 
Meh

OK I will have to put some effort into finding series 1 then. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:00 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Also, don't go into it with any expectation of it being anything like the original series. That's what made me not like it until about Series 4.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:02 

Nemmie wrote:
OK I will have to put some effort into finding series 1 then. Cheers.
There is a cheap DVD box set of seasons 1-3 I bought in Zavvi a few months back for £30.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 19:52 

Plenty of torrents of everything so far. TPB and Demonoid. Then get the complete works box set for Xmas this year. You need the mini series first.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 20:27 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

There is an awful lot of 'filler' episodes in the previous seasons (much like the second episode of the second half of the fourth season). Personally I recommend the fifteen minute series 1-4 recap on the sci fi channel website if you can't face the prospect of 'buying' three and a half series.

While I've enjoyed the stuff I've seen of BSG (although the New Caprica stuff got tiresome towards the end), I just can't raise much sympathy towards many of the characters or indeed the fate of the human race. Not sure how they're going to tie this all up but I suspect by the end...

We'll find out that everybody is a cylon or cylon cross breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 0:31 
Excellent Member

Good lord. THIS. *Shakes head in disbelief*

Why not splurge some money friends? It's as if Clive Sinclair designed the Robin Reliant.

http://io9.com/5146586/launch-the-alert ... lestar-car

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 19:58 
Excellent Member

Just watched the latest. Once again:

FRAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!

Another excellent episode, shocking bits, a few funny bits, lots of arse-kicking bits. And Alessandro unspellable-second-name pulls out all the stops as Gaeta.

5/5

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 22:24 

Hmmm.... excellent episode again but

this feels like we've just had a 2-part filler episode. ie - not advancing the real plot but just treading water until Cavil turns up again.

on the plus side, it's good that
Starbuck has finally had a couple of good episodes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 22:29 
Isn't that lovely?

Bluce_Ree wrote:
Hmmm.... excellent episode again but

this feels like we've just had a 2-part filler episode. ie - not advancing the real plot but just treading water until Cavil turns up again.

on the plus side, it's good that
Starbuck has finally had a couple of good episodes.

Sorry, if that was filler, Fill me up to the top baby!

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:19 

Not filler at all.

When you look at all the loose threads they need to, or at least might be expected to tie up before the end, there's a couple of things resolved now which allows greater focus on larger issues.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:30 
Excellent Member

I agree, not filler.

Also:

I liked when Zarek was told to leave by the Quorum, and thought, 'Wow, neat sideburns on the subtle-adnomisher there.' It was the first time I felt warmth towards the whiny 'Rhubarb! Rhubarb!' Quorum. Then they all got shot. Wowsers!

Sorry, they machine gunned the Quorum! Awesome! I mean er, deeply tragic.

Gaeta was pretty awesome. His death pretty much choked me up, despite him being a traitor. I still count him one of the good guys.

That makes: Billy, Callie, Gaeta - all people I really didn't want bad things to happen to or die 'cos of them being idealistic and young and lovely. I expect that Hotdog's going to follow then. And Tigh, just to kick me in the teeth. Don't be a Pevans' favourite, BSG team!

Finally...

Once again everything with the wonderful Romo Lampkin is bringing the awesome.

Can't wait 'till next week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:57 
Excellent Member

Interview with the writer of the episode below. Apparently there were a LOT of cuts, all for time reasons, and infuriatingly they sound as if they'd have made everything a bit more plausible and smoother and deeper.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... ngeli.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:51 

Fucking great episode.

And it isn't filler I'm really impressed that they've tackled the fallout from paths they've taken themselves down.

No one can say, 'they wouldn't just ally themselves with the cylons' there would be chaos. Because there already has been

Absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 13:32 
Isn't that lovely?

If the last 2 episodes were filler, I give you the juiciest steak you've ever had. A bloody 1lbs T-Bone steak sitting on your plate, dominating it, looking at the tomatoes with disdain, the chips are backing away from it slowly to an extent that they are falling off the plate. And do you know what?

When Tigh felt his child kick, I practically burst into tears. How moving was that?

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 13:36 
Excellent Member

Dagnaggit! In work and can't watch this for hours yet. :'(

Wowsers, is it really that awesome? Wowsers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 16:57 

It's like a tap with liquid revelation coming out, only the pressure seems to vary.

Absolute unilateral spoilers follow, do not read until you are fully up to speed, or you'll ruin your show:

I am now confused about the five - they were as I currently have figured cylons from Kobol? So either on Kobol humans made cylons and the cylons only went to colony 13 with humans, the other twelve were just human colonial parties. Or... Only humans left Kobol and Cylons were developed on earth discreetly and earlier than on the other colonies. Post-nuclear war (between the 13th colony humans and cylons) the five journey to the twelve colonies to warn them, arrive too late, and instead try to teach the 12 colony cylons by giving them the ability to be more human, which gives us the rest of the humanoid cylon models.

SO the following conundrums remain, either way...

The existance of god/gods is not explained, yet we've the recurring idea of 12 colonies, 12 models and the 'happened before' mantra. There's osmehting in that obviously.

The oracle who revealed the truth about hera to Deanna on New Caprica. She obviously tapped into somehting there, but what? god/gods?

Head Six/Head Baltar - what, and how?

Starbuck? Why did she return, and how come she is so overwhelmingly sexy in this series, compared ot the other three?

Mainly though I'm confused about the Number Sevens - we are told they are called 'Daniel' or were, and Cavil did for them. I'm guessing as there's things the five need to be together to do, the rest probably have some cumulative effect when united. I'd imagine Cavil probably killed all but one of the sevens, and when the reckloning arrives it will be revealed that Daniel was either Felix Gaeta, Tom Zarek or the man who oversaw their execution. Which his new missus will forgive him for, just before she rots to death. I'm unsure why I've not been aware of number seven before today - all the talk of the final five led me to believe all other cylons had been revealed. So why have I no recollection of anyone in the show or on the internet ever asking who number seven was?

Maybe I've forgotten or missed something, I've no idea what.

Fucking blinding stuff, though, still.

Glad there's a film at the end, I really don't want this to finish. This is to sci fi telly what Watchmen was to graphic novels. Simply the best telly ever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 17:06 
Excellent Member

Could we have a dimlie of foaming-mouthed 'WANT NOW!' nature? Ta. For now, this will have to do: 8) :droool:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:32 

re 'head' characters...

if six can 'broadcast' to Baltar and vice versa, perhaps that's just a brain thing that Cavil discovered and that indicates Baltar is the new 7.

re this episode

fucking hell!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 

Firstly: FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!

SUPER SPOILER MODE ENGAGE!

NERDLINGER MODE ENGAGE!

:titler: MODE ENGAGE!

Replying to GuvYard (mainly to get it straight in my head), ripping out all the spoiler brackets bar this one - so click it at your peril.

GovernmentYard wrote:
It's like a tap with liquid revelation coming out, only the pressure seems to vary.

Absolute unilateral spoilers follow, do not read until you are fully up to speed, or you'll ruin your show:

I am now confused about the five - they were as I currently have figured cylons from Kobol? So either on Kobol humans made cylons and the cylons only went to colony 13 with humans, the other twelve were just human colonial parties. Or... Only humans left Kobol and Cylons were developed on earth discreetly and earlier than on the other colonies. Post-nuclear war (between the 13th colony humans and cylons) the five journey to the twelve colonies to warn them, arrive too late, and instead try to teach the 12 colony cylons by giving them the ability to be more human, which gives us the rest of the humanoid cylon models.

I don't think the final five are from Kobol themselves. As I interpreted the show I the fat black priest lady and I think (head?) 6 said that the humans and 'Gods' lived together in peace on Kobol. I'm guessing the 'Gods' were the first(?) cylons that evolved into skinjobs. Then the humans and 'Gods' fell out and left to found the 13 colonies. I believe the 13th Colony was cylon skin jobs. However their ability to Resurrect faded away as they bred instead. So the Kobol cylons became basically human (and us!)

Then at some point us human cylons on Earth starting making new cylons. And that oh so similar rebellion started again. Meanwhile the Final Five were just 5 people on Earth who worked to reawaken the ability to resurrect and used it to escape the destruction of earth.

They then decided to fly to the other colonies (of actual humans) to warn them not to make cylons, Going slower than light ment they took yonks and found the first cylon war in process and the colonial-cylons trying to make skin jobs....

(This doesn't explain Starbuck though)
Quote:
SO the following conundrums remain, either way...

The existance of god/gods is not explained, yet we've the recurring idea of 12 colonies, 12 models and the 'happened before' mantra. There's osmehting in that obviously.

Yeah, I think Ellen mentioned that they hoped that the colonial-tin-pot-cylons belief in a one true god was what they hoped would give the skin jobs compassion and end the cycle. Clearly that didn't work (so far at least).

Quote:
The oracle who revealed the truth about hera to Deanna on New Caprica. She obviously tapped into somehting there, but what? god/gods?

I wouldn't be suprisied if they try and forget about that. Unless the colonials are also cylons.

Quote:
Head Six/Head Baltar - what, and how?

Like it has been said, I'm suspecting it is Baltar. The Artist Daniel was crippled and became the mad scientist baltar (poor science!).

Quote:
Starbuck? Why did she return, and how come she is so overwhelmingly sexy in this series, compared ot the other three?

Yeah. The Xena model is still on Earth. The ship dying means they are stuck by earth - I'm still pondering whether any human that dies near earth ressurects. How that would work though I don't know. That or the fall of Daniel made him a woman called starbuck, and the original Daniel is The Faceman. (shudder). And damn straight is she good lookin' at the minute.

Quote:
Mainly though I'm confused about the Number Sevens - we are told they are called 'Daniel' or were, and Cavil did for them. I'm guessing as there's things the five need to be together to do, the rest probably have some cumulative effect when united. I'd imagine Cavil probably killed all but one of the sevens, and when the reckloning arrives it will be revealed that Daniel was either Felix Gaeta, Tom Zarek or the man who oversaw their execution. Which his new missus will forgive him for, just before she rots to death. I'm unsure why I've not been aware of number seven before today - all the talk of the final five led me to believe all other cylons had been revealed. So why have I no recollection of anyone in the show or on the internet ever asking who number seven was?

Maybe I've forgotten or missed something, I've no idea what.

I remember the main writer guy talking about how their not being a 7 was a mistake before they settled on the idea of the final five. So that could have been a clever double bluff or just them plugging an annoying left over hole.

Quote:
Fucking blinding stuff, though, still.

Glad there's a film at the end, I really don't want this to finish. This is to sci fi telly what Watchmen was to graphic novels. Simply the best telly ever.

Damn straight. Best Sci-fi on tv since. Ever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:14 

Also:
If John Hodgeman is a human does that make the cylons macs? MR HILARIOUS FACE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:38 

In a moment of weakness/insomina I made this:

http://booomer.ytmnd.com/

Warning Sound. Warning series 1/2 spoilers.

200hrs in photoshop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 0:48 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Holy shit! I've watched the latest three episodes and... Fuuuuuck.
Also, I can't be the only one that
thought what Gaeta was right. And now the fucking ship is falling apart!
My money is still on Starbuck (who looks good because she has long hair and has put on a little weight, reckon) being a young version of Ellen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 

Grim... wrote:
Holy shit! I've watched the latest three episodes and... Fraaaack.
Also, I can't be the only one that
thought what Gaeta was right. And now the fucking ship is falling apart!
My money is still on Starbuck (who looks good because she has long hair and has put on a little weight, reckon) being a young version of Ellen

BsgEEX'd that for you

Yeah, once again the show has made me emotionally side with people who are in the wrong really. I know the alliance is the only way to break the cycle and stop all this happening again. But I only know that because of my privileged position as viewer. But if I was a resident on the fleet, with so much that Adama and Rosilin hide from the fleet, I would totally side with Gaeta.

This ladies reviews and stuff are great (Mr Chris linked to her before) and at one point Old Apollo/Zarek guy #more" class="postlink">responded to her about his view on the mutiny. For ease I'll quote it here (& spoilered for huge):

Quote:
Here's Richard Hatch's comment on Zarek:

First, having played Zarek for the past four years I would like to say that never did I play this character as a villain nor did I think he was one and I still feel that way. After paying the price of 25 years in prison for standing up for human rights and seeing both his family, friends and cohorts killed by a supressive government on his home planet he had every right to distrust the powers that be on Galactica that seemed to think that only they had the right to make decisions for the people.

And since Zarek was blocked illegally by Roslin and Adama at every turn including from winning a fair election he had to resort to any leverage he could gain to assert some kind of voice in what had become an almost dictatorial government run by Adama and Roslin, who looked with disdain upon the council of the 12 and did pretty much what they wanted without consensus of the people.

And after four years Zarek had basically only two suits and hardly any money and as the smart man he was from learning many lessons the hard way why would he want power for the sake of power. He experienced first hand what power could do on his home planet and how it could corrupt, and the only reason he would want power having been to hell and back was to ensure that the people had a voice in their govenment.

Did everyone forgot what democracy is about or do we just shut our eyes when the government no longer listens to the democratically elected representatives of the people just because we love the characters. And by the way I love both these actors and the character they play too the fact is they broke as many laws as they claim Zarek did.

The truth is from everything I've read and from all the scripts I played it was clear to me that Zarek's actions were always about making a positive difference which is what his whole life was about. My god he paid with 25 years in prison for it and with his life. And tell me, knowing what we know about the Cylons and their programming how could anyone ever trust them again. Even the human Cylons themselves have no idea of what they're capable of doing because of their hidden programming.

Also, Zarek was far from perfect, but tell me how in hell could he have accomplished anything in a honest and straightforward way when he was blocked in every way possible and his reputation tarnished by Adama so no one would trust him. Adama had all the power and the military behind him so he had to resort to whoever and whatever he could use to have any voice at all.

Does anyone forget that Zarek was in solitary confinement on New Caprica because he didn't go along with Baltar's agenda. Is that the M.O. of a power hungry terrorist.

Did anyone ever read Zarek's backstory. Doesn't seem so. People only took what Adama said about him as God's truth but if you really study his actions you would see that he never did anything that wasn't for the reason of supporting his idealistic vision of a true democracy where the government is accountable and this government was definitely not accountable.

The government of Adama and Roslin as much as we love these character broke every constitional rule or law to stay in power and to assert their will, regardless of their positive motivations they had destroyed a true democracy on the Galactica and yet Zarek is looked upon as the power hungry bad guy because he was one of the few to stand up and challenge them.

And why, because he believed that just because we have a 9:11 type holocaust you don't shut your eyes and turn over your power to the govenment because that's the surest way to lose your rights and what we as a people have fought many wars to protect. In my opinion to say that Zarek wanted power only for the sake of power is absolutely wrong and doesn't make any rational sense if you truly study this characters actions and words.

In truth Zarek, Adama and Roslin all wanted power for the same reason, to make a positive difference but Zarek still idealistically believed that the government should always be accountable to the people represented in this show by the council of the 12.

In closing it's so easy to just write off Zarek as another power hungry terrorist but tell me where in this four year story arc did he ever do anything that supported that belief. His words, his feedback his words of wisdom, his actions were always in support of his agenda to make the government accountable, and the reason for that was because he had suffered as much as anyone under a government that operated without acccountability and I hate to say it this seems to be the direction the present govenment on Galactica is heading. You're telling me that only Roslin or the Adama family including Apollo has the right to lead and no one can challenge them. That seemed to be the case here. Democracy is a fragile institution and can easily be lost if we don't make our govenments accountable and for me this amazing series BG has truly explored this theme in a powerfully honest way.

I feel privileged to have been a part of this wonderful series and I truly loved playing Tom Zarek. One of the most flawed, complex and misundertood characters I've ever played.

Angeli also commented after Hatch did:

[To] Harold S.: I respect you criticisms and hope that the remaining episodes will compensate for your disapointment with "Blood on The Scales." But for the record, Mr. Hatch didn't "hate the end of the show" -- at least that's what he told me and after spending many hours with him on and off the set, I'm inclined to take Mr. Hatch, a passionate and consummate professional, at his word. Once he understood the intent of the script, he fully embraced the ending. It's one of the reasons why Mr. Hatch's performance was so extraordinary (in my opinion).
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:00 

well that (ep 4.16 - Deadlock) was
the shittest episode in a while.

1. Did we need so many fucking shots of the engine room?

2. Why has Ellen gone back into drunken psycho mode? I want mumsy super-scientist Ellen back.

3. Tyrol was up for being Chief, now he's wanting to leave?

4. Why do BSG's writers think that making babies is the biggest thing ever? Firstly Helo gets together with 8/Sharon/Athena because she's having his kid (a kid that could/should be some sort of robo-monstrosity freak) and now I'm meant to give a fuck that 6 is losing hers. Also, love = fertility? Fuck off.

5. No Cavil.

6. Baltar should have died two seasons ago. His plotlines have been fucking shit since.

7. Needs more Doc Cottell.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:18 

I can't disagree with a single word of that, though I wish I could. I was more confused than anything else by this one. Such episodes have tended to make more sense in hindsight though, and you can't really follow the last three with anything as good, just isn't possible.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:09 
Goth

Do you think you could mention which episode you're spoilering when doing spoiler tags. Some I'll want to read but others I won't because I don't necessarily watch them as soon as everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 18:31 

Good point Nirejhenge.

Episode 4.18 (4.16 if you don't count razor) Deadlock:
I liked that episode, it was slow and didn't advance the plot much, but they were clearly shuffling pieces around for the final and saving money.

Some points were really wonderful.
  • Tigh and Adama's man love :'(
  • Finding out Liam is short for William (my name - never occurred to me before)
  • If Tigh thinks you are drinking to much...
  • 'Imagine not just being the final 50,000 but the final 5'
  • The literal and figurative blending of the ship. The Cylons on the photo wall was very much :'(

The only point that didn't sit was Tyrol voting to leave. But he's been all over the place so it didn't seem to huge a stretch - but still reeked of happening just to serve the plot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 18:39 

The James Callis (Baltar) Man Love Appreciation Post.

Evidence he is awesome:

1) He's Handsome. Especially now his hair is short.
2)

3) This interview is awesome. (From the gap between 4 and 4.5.
On religion:
Quote:
AVC: What is your take on the religion that Baltar preaches?

JC: On a personal note, I have difficulty with this as a performer. Because this season, I say one thing, and then I say something totally different. It's what I've been saying to the writers and the directors. "How do I say this?" For example, one moment, "There [are no gods]! It's all rubbish! They can't help you because they don't exist!" And then the next minute, "There is a God, and He's our salvation, He loves you." I'm like, "Which one of these is it?"

Then the writing staff and the directors come back to me and go, "But James, that's what all of these horseshit people talk about! One minute they're talking Latin, and then they change their mind! Just look at some of these people—" And the name that comes up again and again is Jim Jones. [But] Gaius is not Jim Jones.

To be honest, I don't believe it. I don't believe it as James Callis, and I don't believe that Gaius believes it either. Because he couldn't. And I think a lot of it comes out of, "Well, you've set yourself up on a dais, and you've got a microphone, now fucking have you got something to say?" And actually, he doesn't have something to say. He's constantly treading water with the most woolly—I mean, it's terribly woolly. And the thing about that is, the more you say about anything, the more explanation there is to an idea, the more complex an idea is, and the more it's not really going to be encapsulated by the thing you're talking about.

On a personal note, myself, I find religion—I can understand it, I can understand why we have it, as a kind of force on the planet. And I also at the same time think it's ludicrous. My Latin education teaches me that religion comes from religio, which means, "to bind." To bind with rope. And that's all it means. So whenever I hear somebody go, "I feel so religious right now!" I'm like, "Well, you're tying yourself up in knots, are you?" There's no spiritual connotation to that word whatsoever. And while it binds you to a rope, because it's about belonging, it alienates you to others. That can't be part of God's plan, if there is a God.

So I do find all of those things really tough, to be honest. Belief is everything when you're performing something. If you don't have the belief behind it, then that actually puts a shunt on the character. It's like, "Does the character believe this for a minute?"

On writing:
Quote:
There's some phrase, I think it's in Chaucer, about how everything that's written is didactic. As soon as you write something down, as long as it's not a shopping list, it's some idea about the world. It's Michel de Montaigne writing his essays, it's Plato writing The Republic, it's Ron writing Battlestar. All of these things concern human beings, and somebody's idea about them. Everything that we write is to teach ourselves in some way to behave better, to think more, or to think differently. And if the thing you're doing doesn't actually address any of those, then maybe you are writing a shopping list.

So to conclude: I'm not. But if I was, I would.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 18:54 
Excellent Member

Dr Lave wrote:
The James Callis (Baltar) Man Love Appreciation Post.

So to conclude: I'm not. But if I was, I would.

I second this Man-Love, not to frighten you James, if you happen across this thread, but you're a bit too awesome. Have more than a suspicion that the writers haven't a fucking clue what to do with your character, which is a shame as you're one of the best ones.

Well, I watched the episode and I thought it was okay. There was nothing wrong script wise there, it was well written. But the plot was just too scrappy. Ellen seems to have flipped from an ace-best wry, amused, fatalistic cylon to a hybrid of her old self and new with a big dose of Laura Roslin thrown in because - hey - they need at least one schemey woman an episode right? Tyrol I cannot believe would leave Galactica, she's as much part of him as she is Adama. Baltar needs a plot desperately, and this cult better be going somewhere or it wins Dobby the House-Elf reward for 'Why the fuck are we wading through this shit?' Tory remains the one dimensional evil bitch, still no explanation why mind. There seems to be a growing inertia and emotional shrivelling, it's like watching a bunch of people shrink into themselves and their bitter little world - become more and more co-dependant and twisted and packed in until they blip down neutron star style into either a tiny core of matter followed by massive explosion, or a depressing miniscule thing sucking like nothing before.

And yet there's still plenty of awesome: all the Tigh and Adama stuff, Baltar remains funny if pointless, poor old Liam and yes, Ellen's speech about survivors.

In summary, high quality but I have concerns, and I suspect that whatever happens this season BSG has infuriatingly let the title of BESTEST SCIFI EVER slip from its fingers, having to make do with the title merely of, "NOT QUITE BESTEST SCIFI EVER".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 19:03 

(4.16)

re: the cylon wall photos, I thought that was a bit of a joke. Cylons take photos of each other? Is there even a point to taking photos of each other?

also: how did Boomer find the fleet?

interestingly, there were cuts to the scene with Baltar getting the guns. Due to the mutiny there are not many marines left to police the lower decks. In the cuts Adama was considering using centurions to do the job until Baltar offered his way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 19:07 

I think it was kind of an important episode though, because
last weeks Exposition Off painted Ellen return as the final earth-cylon to be the return of the 'true' Ellen. And to see that the final five aren't Gods. Aren't super brains. But weak, fragile and tremendously jealous people.

It was an episode showing that the final faction in this little play, even with their memories, are also very much human.

But yeah the episode wasn't up to scratch compared to the previous episodes - but what could be?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 19:12 

Bluce_Ree wrote:
(4.16)

re: the cylon wall photos, I thought that was a bit of a joke. Cylons take photos of each other? Is there even a point to taking photos of each other?

also: how did Boomer find the fleet?

interestingly, there were cuts to the scene with Baltar getting the guns. Due to the mutiny there are not many marines left to police the lower decks. In the cuts Adama was considering using centurions to do the job until Baltar offered his way.

1) Early in the season they specifically mention that the Centurions had chips to prevent them being able to identify individual cylons - so the skin jobs can definitely tell them apart. As could Tyrol tell that that was Boomer. The growing individualism between the cylons is a theme anyway. I'm watching through the series again, and one of the first big events with the cylons is when Caprica 6 and Boomer 8 get names.

To me the wall bit was really moving.

2) Ellen was on board. Ellen with all her memories. So she still knows where her home planet of Earth is.

3) Ah that makes the Baltar bit make a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 23:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dr Lave wrote:
Good point Nirejhenge.

Episode 4.18 (4.16 if you don't count razor) Deadlock:
I liked that episode, it was slow and didn't advance the plot much, but they were clearly shuffling pieces around for the final and saving money.

Some points were really wonderful.
  • Tigh and Adama's man love :'(
  • Finding out Liam is short for William (my name - never occurred to me before)
  • If Tigh thinks you are drinking to much...
  • 'Imagine not just being the final 50,000 but the final 5'
  • The literal and figurative blending of the ship. The Cylons on the photo wall was very much :'(

The only point that didn't sit was Tyrol voting to leave. But he's been all over the place so it didn't seem to huge a stretch - but still reeked of happening just to serve the plot.

Yup, I agree with pretty much all of that. Also - the R&D sketch at the end was awesome :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 13:51 
Master of dodgy spelling....

I have finally caught up with BSG too a while.

How many episodes are left 5 or 6?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 14:02 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Kovacs Caprios wrote:
I have finally caught up with BSG too a while.

How many episodes are left 5 or 6?

After last night's episode I think there are only three left, with the last two in a two hour special.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 18:32 
Isn't that lovely?

Morte wrote:
After last night's episode

Ah to the mininovatron

Malc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 20:42 
Excellent Member

As am I. Off to the thing. That does the thing. That gets me the thing. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 0:40 

So 4.17: Fucking brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 0:48 
Isn't that lovely?

Dr Lave wrote:
So 4.17: Fucking brilliant.

Question about the piano player. Was he real? is Starbuck now having the same hallucinations that Gaius has? Why her Father? (that was her father right?)

Poor Chief...

Malc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 0:49 

No, yes and
because he's Cylon 7. Kara is his daughter and could regenerate or be ressurect on Earth because it's the res point for the thirteenth tribe, who are Cylons. What is less clear is the whole thing about Head Six and Baltar, Head Dad and Starbuck and what Boomer did to Tyrol. Who just isn't with it at all, is he?

I wonder what
Gaeta and Zarek
would have done in this episode, were they in
Adama and Roslin's
shoes?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:52 

Think I've worked it ALL out. Spoiling for brilliant insight*

So I'm not sure that her dad was Daniel The #7 cylon. It's clearly the most likely idea, but not necessarily true. I think the important thing here is that she may have projected. Like 6 told Balter about way back in Series 3 when he was on the basestar. But Boomer today showed that it can be more than altering your surroundings.

I think this projecting may be the big thing that explains everything. Coupled with Ellen saying that she thought (of Hera) "she's plugged into something which is manipulating all of us". If projecting can effect anyone (i.e. a cylon can push a projection on a human) then Rosilin's visions (and everyone elses) can be explained. As can Head 6, Head Baltar, Head Piano Man and so on (I would expect the 'mystic' that told 3 (xena) about Hera being alive would also have been a 'head'). All of these would have been pushed on the cylons or humans by a third party.

Baring in mind that the show is working towards suggesting that the only way out is forgiveness and living together. Mixing. As such I think the third party who is pushing this on all three factions is....

]The Hybrids. The first human/cylon mix. Using their baseships to push the projection out and manipulate things.

If true I guess sam is becoming the conduit to communicate with them.

Doesn't explain Starbuck being reborn though. Unless she's a 'head' for everyone. But then how does she fly a plane..

*not guaranteed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 22:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is that Apollo on Law and Order UK on ITV right now?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 22:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

IMDB says yes. Bugger me - either he's damned good at accents or he's English. Oh, he's from Hammersmith. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 0:30 

Yes, he's English. He had a recurring role on Hornblower, I believe. Also, his (English) wife had a minor role on BSG with her native accent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 23:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Fuck, that was good. Chief! Boomer! Hera! Music!
Awesome :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 23:47 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Grim... wrote:
Fuck, that was good. Chief! Boomer! Hera! Music!
Awesome :)

Will watch tomorow :)

Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next