Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: I've just played some Counter Strike
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 0:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

First server, I had to wait ages for all the "comedy" noises to download, and then we were playing on some weird Simpsons map with no buy zones, and it was rubbish. The next one was a Dust2 Deathmatch (?) and was rubbish. The next was full of American kiddies who kept playing music down their voice comms, and it was rubbish. Finally, I got onto a good UK server and played some tactical rounds with some grown ups, and fuck me if I wasn't reminded that it's one of the best games in the world.

I love CS.

Post subject: Re: I've just played some Counter Strike
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 0:10 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

For some reason I SUCK at CS but I'm sliiiightly better at CS:Source. The only gun I can even half rely upon is the Bullpup though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 0:44 
Origional CS I hope.

Theres a youtube video of some american kid getting really pissed off there, but I cant find it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:06 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Source is fine. I've been playing since Beta 2.0 (the AW/P went through a stage of being a semi-auto, it was great), and it's only really got better, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 
Excellently Membered

I Agree! It's pretty good! Just I'm sure I'm rubbish now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 
Isn't that lovely?

cs is Take That to Quake's T-Rex

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

itsallwater wrote:
I Agree! It's pretty good! Just I'm sure I'm rubbish now.

So am I, properly rubbish - I think I went 10 for 15 at one point last night, and that was the best I did.
We should have a Beex game. Modz vs Forumites :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lace and I are old hands at CS:S. Skill is variable, but I seem to recall when we were playing 4-5 times a week for solid hours at a time we were almost invariably at the top of the table for whatever server we were in.

These days of course I'm lucky if I can retain a 1:1 KD. Haven't played for a good old while, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:03 

I used to play CS for hours every single day. I'm ace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:04 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

ComicalGnomes wrote:
These days of course I'm lucky if I can retain a 1:1 KD. Haven't played for a good old while, though.

:this:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:06 
Comfortably Dumb

I've only played Counter Strike on the Xbox against the AI bots. As you can imagine, I wondered what all the fuss was about and turned it off shortly after.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Also, shotty ftw. Not the auto, mind. Decent range, decent power, requires the ability to aim in order to score a kill. A pretty good match for anything, I reckon.

AWP = gay, obv. I make a practice of TKing boring awpers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

ComicalGnomes wrote:
AWP = gay, obv. I make a practice of TKing boring awpers.

Oh God. You're the sort of person I deliberately avoid playing CS on the same server as.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Presumably you're the kind that hides with the sniper rifle in the same spot every round waiting to tiresomely snag a few easy kills. That's the kind I cheerfully TK :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 
INFINITE POWAH

So, which version of CS would this be then, if we're to do it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 

Lord Chris wrote:
So, which version of CS would this be then, if we're to do it?
Whichever one doesn't have CG and Grim..., by the sounds of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:34 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Condition Zero.

Really.

:ninja:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

A map full of awpers is sheer misery, I don't play the game to try and pop people off from a distance through a scope, but it just escalates to the point where everyone is forced to have an awp to have any hope of killing anyone, Ugh.

Deagle5 is an awesome map though, if I recall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:37 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
A map full of awpers is sheer misery, I don't play the game to try and pop people off from a distance through a scope, but it just escalates to the point where everyone is forced to have an awp to have any hope of killing anyone, Ugh.
Hang on, every single time we play CoD4 with LaceSensor, he plays as a sniper class and demands the killcam is turned off so he doesn't give his position away when he gets a kill. Did you spend all your CS career TKing him then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 
INFINITE POWAH

"awp"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:38 
UltraMod

I'd be up for this as long as it's 1.6. My lappy would struggle with Source.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Lord Chris wrote:
"awp"?

Super powerful sniper rifle, you LOLFAGx0RN00B

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Hang on, every single time we play CoD4 with LaceSensor, he plays as a sniper class and demands the killcam is turned off so he doesn't give his position away when he gets a kill. Did you spend all your CS career TKing him then?

Ha, what a twat. Hiding in one spot the entire time is not playing.

But yeah, I believe we had a good old time killing each other too.

AWP = one shot kill sniper rifle. I don't know whether they've nerfed it but basically it was insta-death 99% of the time regardless of where you were shot.

The scout is a fair sniping weapon, it takes at least two decent hits to be killed by it, or one awesome shot to the head. That I can live with.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And that's why you should be playing Quake III or something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:11 
INFINITE POWAH

ComicalGnomes wrote:
AWP = one shot kill sniper rifle. I don't know whether they've nerfed it but basically it was insta-death 99% of the time regardless of where you were shot.

The scout is a fair sniping weapon, it takes at least two decent hits to be killed by it, or one awesome shot to the head. That I can live with.

IRL, of course, getting shot by a sniper rifle almost anywhere will kill or incapacitate you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 

Lord Chris wrote:
IRL, of course, getting shot by a sniper rifle almost anywhere will kill or incapacitate you.
That's a compelling argument. Of course, real life also lacks respawns. I think when you die in Counter-Strike the game should permanently delete itself from your hard disk and refuse to reinstall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:14 
Excellently Membered

I've been playing a little "Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory" as it's open source or something of the same idea. It's ok but it's an option if not everyone can buy CS....?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lord Chris wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Getting shot by most guns generally kills you, but that doesn't explain why the TMP is little better than a pea shooter. I'm just glad the game provides remedies for people that piss you off, even those on your own team :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:
That's a compelling argument. Of course, real life also lacks respawns. I think when you die in Counter-Strike the game should permanently delete itself from your hard disk and refuse to reinstall.

Whilst I can see this argument going on across a number of threads between here and the END OF TIME, suffice it to say that you're wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:20 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:

Imagine the way that it'd be played if that was the case. You'd be shitting yourself the whole time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:22 

Lord Chris wrote:
Whilst I can see this argument going on across a number of threads between here and the END OF TIME, suffice it to say that you're wrong.
Whilst I find it difficult to agree with Craster, YOU'RE WRONGER.

Games don't need realism, they need to be fun; they need enough verisimilitude[1] so that you are not bugged by the things that are wrong ("hey, why does my Japanese soldier have an American rifle?") but not so much that the fun is drained out ("hey, why do I have to do 16 hours of boot camp mini games before I can fight in the war?"). Where these lines fall move from person to person, but even in the most sim-heavy genres such as racing games, massive unrealistic abstractions still take place.

The one exception to prove my rule[2] I can come up with is MS Flight Sim, which of course is doing its damndest to completely represent reality. But I believe this only underscores my point, because frankly, it's barely a game any more.

[1] I love this word
[2] I love this phrase, since finding out it isn't the nonsense it sounds like

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

And to summarise, one shot kills at TEH GHEY.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 
Isn't that lovely?

ComicalGnomes wrote:

never play Quake 3 CPM

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Lord Chris wrote:
Whilst I find it difficult to agree with Craster, YOU'RE WRONGER.

I fear you have started a feud, sir. A feud that will be handed down from generation to generation, until THERE IS ONLY ONE.

The disagreement I thought we're having is that I'm complaining about things that are ruining the verisimilitude (this is also an awesome Teenage Fanclub song) and you're apparently taking a "well, respawning is unrealistic so stop complaining" tack - I've been interpreting your comments on this as meaning that I shouldn't be complaining about any inaccuracies as there are bigger ones there already. However, your quotes below do clarify things a bit, and I don't think we're actually in disagreement, ultimately:

Quote:
Games don't need realism, they need to be fun;

Of course, the realism can be part of the fun, and the lack of realism can ruin the fun. So this is a bit of an odd (and WRONG) thing to say. Subject to the below...

Quote:
they need enough verisimilitude[1] so that you are not bugged by the things that are wrong ("hey, why does my Japanese soldier have an American rifle?") but not so much that the fun is drained out ("hey, why do I have to do 16 hours of boot camp mini games before I can fight in the war?").

This bit is entirely true and I wholeheartedly agree. Enough so that I can forget the silly first sentence in this paragraph.

Which means that our two positions can be easily reconciled - I get utterly pissed off by the lack of realism in games that are selling themselves as being set in a particular era or theatre of operations or whatever. If you're setting a game in WW2, the enjoyment of that game can be broken by anything that is obviously incongruous, as it kills what little suspension of disbelief one needs in order to enjoy a game set in that place/time. For instance, if you're playing Close Combat: Invasion Normandy and once you get into the bocage country the Germans suddenly unleash a horde of robots. That might be fun if you're playing a WW2 game billed as some sort of "Nazi '46" alternate history game, but in a straight WW2 game it's game breakingly silly. See also - boxes of dogs in COD5.

Conversely, while the game ending every time you die would be realistic, this would be annoying in a multiplayer setting as you're then sat waiting for the next match to start - which is tedious and pointless. This is a concession to "reality" that would be game breaking. But most things done to make a game more historically accurate would add to the game, rather than break it - unlike death ending things completely.

Quote:
The one exception to prove my rule[2] I can come up with is MS Flight Sim, which of course is doing its damndest to completely represent reality. But I believe this only underscores my point, because frankly, it's barely a game any more.

See also - most flight sims. You can dial down the realism if you're frightened by it, but you play something like Jane's F-18 and it's bonkersly complicated. It's a complete simulation - or as complete as one can get on a PC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:35 
INFINITE POWAH

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Not really, no.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lord Chris wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Not really, no.

OMGNOOB.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:39 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You run across open ground in the face of enemy fire, you'll get popped in the head. Seems reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:42 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Although bunny-hopping about can make you harder to hit. The SAS do this in real life, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Indeed. Dimmers just got the Kangaroo Defence from a British Army manual.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:43 
Legendary Boogeyman

True, but at least let one shot kills (hereafter known as OSK) be difficult to pull off.

When I play, I like to just run around and shoot stuff without thinking too much. If I instead have to go and read an online guide to learn secret ninja skills to avoid being killed within 10 seconds of spawn by the cunt I can't see on the other side of the map with his cunting little snipe gun, then my enjoyment is significantly decreased.

With the AWP in CS, give yourself 3 or 4 rounds to get the hang of it and it just becomes a game of who can get the shot in first. Not fun. Especially on some maps where any other type of gun is precluded for the fact you'd have to break cover to use it. Breaking cover, of course, that gets you insta-dead by the 5 snipers all sitting on the other side of the map. Boring.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:44 
INFINITE POWAH

ComicalGnomes wrote:
If I instead have to go and read an online guide to learn secret ninja skills to avoid being killed within 10 seconds of spawn

Duck?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

Lord Chris wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
If I instead have to go and read an online guide to learn secret ninja skills to avoid being killed within 10 seconds of spawn

Duck?

Since camping AWPers rarely move, I could easily survive by merely refusing to move into their field of view. Since they're always camped around bomb sites or hostage areas though, that means I can't do anything but hide. So you have me, hiding from the snipers, and the snipers, who are quite happy to sit there immobile for 5 minutes hoping someone gets bored and appears in their scope, doing nothing every round.

Given the choice between this and popping the unimaginative fools on my own team, I know which is going to give me the most lols.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:
With the AWP in CS, give yourself 3 or 4 rounds to get the hang of it and it just becomes a game of who can get the shot in first. Not fun. Especially on some maps where any other type of gun is precluded for the fact you'd have to break cover to use it. Breaking cover, of course, that gets you insta-dead by the 5 snipers all sitting on the other side of the map. Boring.

That's not a problem with the game allowing one-shot kills. That's a problem with the game allowing one-shot kills whilst simultaneously not allowing appropriate use of cover.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

Again, the scout is fine, as there's reasonable scope (ha) for rushing the sniper without immediately dying. That strikes me as balanced. There's not much you can do against a OSK camper that has more than a couple of seconds ground between you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:54 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

If there is a place where a snipe can sit that leaves rushing as the only option, then that's a map problem, surely? If I'm immune from being rushed head on, then I should be able to be snuck up on from the flanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:57 
Legendary Boogeyman

Unless your whole team are snipers, in which case it's time to find a new server. There are a fair old few that lock out the AWP for the reasons described above.

Again though, Deagle5 is a good map for lols. You have a Desert Eagle, limited ammo, and a knife. Fairly quick round turnover but loads of fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:06 
Comfortably Dumb

ComicalGnomes wrote:

That seems a little odd. So you can get killed by being shot once in the foot for example?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

devilman wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

That seems a little odd. So you can get killed by being shot once in the foot for example?

Hydrostatic shock, innit.

Does CS have smoke grenades?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:09 
Sleepyhead

One good thing about the CoD4 map design is that whilst there are some good sniping spots, none are impregnable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

Most of the time, in my experience devilman, yes.

Smoke grenades there are, but depending on the map this can be insufficient to even the score. You either get killed trying to throw it, or you get a team full of AWPers rattling holes in the smoke that kill anything that could be in there. There are also flashbangs, which are super, but sometimes don't work. Many times I've had one land at my feet that fails to blind me.

The more we discuss this the more I fancy a game. Source doesn't require uber-graphics by any means. Any faily modern laptop can handle it no probs.

Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next