Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pretty Tactical/RPG Games
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:48 
What-ho, chaps!

My friend wants a game to play!

Can anybody recommend some games that are like Ring of Red and the Front Mission series? Making a team and sending it out and blowing stuff up. Big robots a plus.

Let's talk about some tactical robot games!

Post subject: Re: Pretty Tactical/RPG Games
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:47 
Worst

Not so much with the robots, but anyone into tactical/S-RPG needs Disgaea games. They are amazing.

I wish I could vouch for Makai Kingdom, but I didn't really feel that one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 15:20 
Caution Live Bear.

Disgaea seconded, as its awesome. I didn't mind Makai Kingdom, or Phantom Brave either.
Soul Nomad and La Pucelle (despite me taking my screen name from a character in this) are the weakest of the bunch.

Quote:
Let's talk about some tactical robot games!

Bad news on the robot front, the granddaddy of all Robot Anime Srpg war games is the Super Robot War Series http://www.suparobo.jp. Due to various licensing issues they remain Japanese only,with only one GBA game being released in the west. Though there are some fan translations of the older series.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 15:51 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Gunrox is a very simplified online UFO. It's free and tiny and extremely easy to set up and play. http://www.gunrox.com . Worth a look, at least. I rather enjoy the odd game here and there.

UFO2000 (I think) should be available still - it's the original UFO mangled into a two player email game. I've not played it for long enough to be critical, but there's probably a limit to how bad it could be. Also, if you do give it a go, let me know and I'll join you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:16 
Worst

Bear or Bust wrote:
Disgaea seconded, as its awesome. I didn't mind Makai Kingdom, or Phantom Brave either.

Makai was a case of waiting for it to click. I reckon there is something great buried under the murky graphics and lack of Disgaea-style quick level-ups. It ended up being a case of getting Disgaea 2 before Makai got its hooks in.

I got the idea of depth from the Edge review; no idea whether it actually is that deep, or whether the reviewer was trying to make himself look hardcore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:01 
Honey Boo Boo

You should be able to track down a copy of Power Dolls for free somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:23 
Excellent Member

i really like Battle of Wesnoth, an open source game.

I'm also quite fond of the Fire Emblem series. Yes, not much strategical depth and too much forgettable text, but i like the "dead is dead" approach.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 
Chu chu chu!

Ring of Red was a real gem. The timed-fire system was nail-biting like little else I can think of before or since.

Another vote for Disgaea. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Surprised no-one's mentioned silent storm yet. An incredible slice of strategic shoot-me-do, and the best ufo/jagged alliance-style tactical action since, well, Jagged Alliance 2. You'll also get bonus stompy power armour towards the end but, alas, 'tis a bit gash.

I didn't get along with Gunrox at all. The step-step...step... ...step-step rubbish walking thing may have soured my opinion somewhat, as I'm fickle that way. I've been meaning to give the splendidly named Bang!Howdy a bash, but haven't got around to it yet. Seems promising on the more casual side of things.

Another great one that's nowhere near what you mentioned while still being very definitely a tactical RPG is uber-beardathon Temple of Elemental Evil, which has a tremendous tactical combat system buried underneath the shitty town sections and dishwater-dull plot. Essentially pure Turn-based Dn'D in computer form, complete with a baffling array of options. Get it with the circle of eight fan patch, as the core game is legendarily broken.

Wesnoth is indeed a good'un, but just a little too random for my liking. And from what I've played of the new King's Bounty, that one's definitely worth a go. Just imagine Heroes OF Might and Magic, but good, very good, and completely hatstand with it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:44 
Kindly deeds done for free

SisterCheeba wrote:
Ring of Red was a real gem.

"I respectfully disagree!"
\

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:07 

A fine choice of faceplate there sir.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:13 
Hibernating Druid

I prefer this one.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 
Excellent Member

SisterCheeba wrote:
Ring of Red was a real gem. The timed-fire system was nail-biting like little else I can think of before or since.

Another vote for Disgaea. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Surprised no-one's mentioned silent storm yet. An incredible slice of strategic shoot-me-do, and the best ufo/jagged alliance-style tactical action since, well, Jagged Alliance 2. You'll also get bonus stompy power armour towards the end but, alas, 'tis a bit gash.

I didn't get along with Gunrox at all. The step-step...step... ...step-step rubbish walking thing may have soured my opinion somewhat, as I'm fickle that way. I've been meaning to give the splendidly named Bang!Howdy a bash, but haven't got around to it yet. Seems promising on the more casual side of things.

Another great one that's nowhere near what you mentioned while still being very definitely a tactical RPG is uber-beardathon Temple of Elemental Evil, which has a tremendous tactical combat system buried underneath the shitty town sections and dishwater-dull plot. Essentially pure Turn-based Dn'D in computer form, complete with a baffling array of options. Get it with the circle of eight fan patch, as the core game is legendarily broken.

Wesnoth is indeed a good'un, but just a little too random for my liking. And from what I've played of the new King's Bounty, that one's definitely worth a go. Just imagine Heroes OF Might and Magic, but good, very good, and completely hatstand with it.

:this:

silent storm 2 is indeed awesome, but be sure to install the "no panzerkleins" mod since they spoil the fun.

ToEE is also very very good. Amazing tactical combat and lots of atmosphere. The lack of ph4t l33t is a bit of a letdown though.

Kings's bounty is quite nice, but it's more of an rpg and there are way too many combat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:46 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Jagged Alliance 2 was great. Get it for him.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]