Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Burnout
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:31 

Right, now I've just been playing Burnout Revenge on the 360, and I know this is from a couple of years or so back now. In the couple of Burnout games I've ever played, I basically ignore the regular racing and head straight for the Crash Mode things, as to me they're a game in themselves and bags of fun.

Anyway, my question is, which BO game is best for Crash Mode? I believe they totally re-vamped this for recent versions? (i.e. made it crap and no fun).

The Crash Modes on this Revenge seem fairly okay, and I've been having fun with them, but there doesn't appear to be so many of them as on the first BO game I ever played, also they don't seem quite so good.

Post subject: Re: Burnout
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:33 

Also, while I was online earlier, I tried to add a few of you lot to my friends list wotsit, so if you got a request, don't panic, it was only me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:46 
Unpossible!

I used to think that Burnout 3: Takedown on the Xbox had the best crash mode, but the Heartbreaker (halves your final score) always pissed me off.

I have played Revenge on the orignal XBOX but it had an annoying launch control system on the crash mode which also pissed me off. Since playing Revenge on the 360, I would now insist that it is the best version. They removed the launch control and upped the carnage. Most enjoyable. Of course, Paradise doesn't have the Crash mode at all, severely limiting the appeal to the missus (it's her fave mode) so we'll probaly not be getting that one.

Wibbling, over. I'm HelenDave on Xbox Live btw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 16:58 

Ah yeah, the Takedown one... I'm certain I played that. It's probably that one I had, plus the first ever BO, plus this Revenge.

I bet a whole game with just tons and tons of Crash levels would sell on its own.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 18:13 
Sleepyhead

Agent Starling wrote:
Ah yeah, the Takedown one... I'm certain I played that. It's probably that one I had, plus the first ever BO, plus this Revenge.

I bet a whole game with just tons and tons of Crash levels would sell on its own.

Paradise allows you to enter 'crash mode' (sorta) at any time. So if you see a pile of buses you can just go for it...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 22:10 
SavyGamer

Just been playing 2 player Burnout: Revenge on the oxbox with a pair of wheels and the sofa pulled up close.

Epic.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 0:42 
UltraMod

Burnout 2: Point of Impact is the best game for crash junctions, TRUFAX.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:12 
Honey Boo Boo

Indeed.

Burnout 1 is heart-weakeningly tough, not least of all because the moody lighting of most of the levels makes it all but impossible to see the traffic (which, likewise, is dark and moody, and Criterion hadn't yet given them permanent tail lights as in Paradise)

Burnout 2 is probably the best of the 'old school' games, from what I've seen. Lovely crash junctions, some charming minigames (including a Chase HQ-style cop chase) but everything is left down to your skill rather than EA handholding.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:54 
Excellent Member

"Burnout 2 is probably the best of the 'old school' games, from what I've seen. Lovely crash junctions, some charming minigames (including a Chase HQ-style cop chase) but everything is left down to your skill rather than EA handholding."

Burnout 2 WOULD be my favourite of all the Burnout games I've played (the first 4, not Paradise or Dominator ).
The racing is much more skillful than the later games & the cop-chase mode is ace.
Also, the speed of the racing hadn't quite reached "mad bastard" levels by this point and I actually really enjoyed playing Burnout 2 in cockpit/first-person view (the next 2 games were just too fast for this to be feasible for me).

HOWEVER, the racing has some of the most blatant rubberband/catch-up AI I've come across in a racing game.
You can drive perfectly for most of a race, make a slight mistake near the end, then watch as the opposition goes roaring past you.
This can be incredibly annoying, especially as (if memory serves) you often have to complete a series of races in one go, so when you've done well on the first couple of races and it happens on the last stretch of your final race, it's throw-the-controller-at-the-screen time.

The catch-up is till there in Burnout 3 and Revenge but it doesn't seem to be as bad, plus if you mess up, you only have to do the one race again, which isn't as frustrating.

As for Crash Mode, I still think Burnout 3's is the best (despite the heart-breakers), at least on last-gen consoles.
Burnout 2 has a great Crash Mode, sure, but there isn't enough variety (I think there are only 15 crash junctions on the PS2 version, and some extra ones on the Xbox version - compared to about 100 on Burnout 3 & Revenge).

Revenges' Crash Mode on last-gen annoys me for 2 reasons. First, the annoying launch system (mentioned above - and apparently dispensed of for the 360 version from what I can gather from davpaz ?).
Secondly, if you messed up and wanted to quickly try again, could you ?
Oh no, you had to wait while the part of the track you'd driven (before crashing) scrolled back in slow-motion until it reached the start-line (and you couldn't skip it).
On crash junctions that you needed multiple attemps at, this became annoying very quickly (is this also despensed with in the 360 version ?).

Anyway, on balance, I liked Burnout 3 best overall, closely followed by Burnout 2, then Takedown (there's only a tiny bit between each of them).
They're all great games despite individual flaws (and I still own them all on my Xbox1).

Edit - Burnout 1 is easily the weakest in the series IMO. The earlier tracks are pretty enjoyable, but later on they have far too many twists and turns where it's virtually GUARANTEED that there will be a car heading at you in the opposite direction around nearly every blind corner you take. This quickly killed the fun for me.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 

I was a Cube-only gamer back when Burnout 2 was released so that's what I had... and no further game were developed for the platform. Since I've got a XBox, a 360 and a PS2, PSP and DS... plenty of opportunity to get the others but each time I play one I'm disappointed by the over-complicate nature of the thing.

The racing (and yes, I'm factoring in the rubber banding - if you are good enough that doesn't mattter!) has never been as good again, the speed has always been overdone and the crash modes - well, it is like comparing the Hoth Speeder Battle with the opening scene of Episode III - we know which is better but we also know which we prefer.

I only own Paradise, other than 2 - and only then for online mucking about - I've tried playing it other ways but find the faff of driving to events and the need to learn the city to et the most out of it turns-offs. Not to mention the racing on different streets to your opponents - realistic but hardly what you'd call fun.

Nonetheless, Paradise needs to exist, and is good at being what it is. I'd kill for an XBLA version of B2 though, with decent visuals and the same speed and crash doodahs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:37 
Comfortably Dumb

Goatboy wrote:
Nonetheless, Paradise needs to exist, and is good at being what it is. I'd kill for an XBLA version of B2 though, with decent visuals and the same speed and crash doodahs.

Seems a bit harsh - the Cube version of B2 looked great.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:21 

Wouldn't on my new telly, mind.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 19:39 

Noticed that BO3 is on the download thing on Live, so I may well treat myself to that soon, as I've got some spare points kicking around doing nothing.

Incidentally, once you download a game on this, does it stay on the hard drive forever, i.e. it's yours to keep?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 19:52 
Best
Board Mother

You can delete it whenever you want and redownload it, but yeah, it's yours to keep. Welcome to XBOX Starling! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 19:52 
Best
Board Mother

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
You can delete it whenever you want and redownload it (without paying again), but yeah, it's yours to keep. Welcome to XBOX Starling! :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 19:54 

Ta! I added a bunch of you to my list yesterday, but I'm still too lazy/tight to sort out the online gaming, so for now I'll have to resort to sending messages or something. Mind you, it's nice being a sort of voyeur, and looking at other people's friends lists!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 19:56 
UltraMod

Starling: buy the disc version. You can get it for peanuts and you don't have to worry about keeping it on your hard disk.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 20:30 

Good point - just had a quick check and it's only a few bob.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:32 
Unpossible!

I actually have a spare copy of burnout 3. I low bid on 2 ebay auctions at the same time and won them both. You interested?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:14 
Unpossible!

no?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:31 
UltraMod

Starling hasn't visited the boards since Sunday. Why not send a PM?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:45 

Ideally to her.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:21 
Unpossible!

gotcha. will do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 14:58 
Lurker

If anyone's got a spare Burnout 2 going cheap for either Cube or Xbox let us know... cheers, like.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 18:17 

This is turning into a bargains type thread!

Just replied to your PM, Davpaz. Cheers.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]