Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 87  Next
 Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:35 
Excellent Member

Let us pray that unlike The Clone Wars, it doesn't turn out that it was cooler when we didn't know.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 18:05 
8-Bit Champion
Two heads are better than one

Another 'introduction' to the 50th

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 0:02 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

An Adventure in space and time was brilliant! I didn't think I'd be able to dedicate a full 90 minutes to watching TV on a Thursday night, but it flew by.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 0:11 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

It was excellent...loved the little cameos / extra performances from ex-cast members.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 0:31 
Chinny chin chin

Morte wrote:
It was excellent...loved the little cameos / extra performances from ex-cast members.

They were planning on recreating Sara Kingdom's death sequence with Jean Marsh herself. She ages to death so Gatiss was going to insert Jean Marsh as the aged version of the character. Sadly they ran out of money so she just gets a cameo in the crowd scene at Verity Lambert's leaving do.

Also hard not to shout out "Alan Bradley" when Mark Eden appears on screen. But I always do that for him no matter what he's in.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 

That was fantastic, although I could have done without 11's appearance near the end there - didn't really fit in with the rest of the show at all IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:33 

I enjoyed it and thought it was really well put together. Did find myself thinking that Verity Lambert had been written as a kind of female Doctor, finding her way through a strange and hostile universe.

I didn't think the cameo detracted from the drama, and was a nice way of demonstrating the show's continuity and longevity, but if it hadn't been there its absence wouldn't have mattered.

Rather enjoyed seeing shots of retro TV equipment and continuity too :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:50 
Goth

The worst thing about it was that terrible excuse for Patrick Troughton. UGH. Just because he's your mate Gatiss doesn't mean he should get cast.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 
Unpossible!

Google Doodle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:21 
8-Bit Champion

DavPaz wrote:
Google Doodle.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... gle-doodle

Background on it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:26 

DerekFME wrote:
The worst thing about it was that terrible excuse for Patrick Troughton. UGH. Just because he's your mate Gatiss doesn't mean he should get cast.

I remember when I read about Reece Shearsmith being cast as Troughton thinking "maybe it could work".

Turns out it didn't. He wasn't in it for long though, so no great shakes.

There's a Making Of on iPlayer, presented by Carole Ann Ford which includes a scene of Shearsmith's Troughton regenerating into Gatiss dressed as Jon Pertwee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 13:21 
Chinny chin chin

DerekFME wrote:

Thing was, he would have made a great Frazer Hines.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 14:34 
8-Bit Champion

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Davison and Colin Baker are suddenly both tweeting about a newly created Twitter account called - @dayoftheFishDr

No idea but worth keeping an eye on.

Spoilers for what this seems to be (which sounds great)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-fish-dr-revealed-the-fiveish-doctors-reboot-55789.htm

The “Fish Dr” Revealed? The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot

Has the mystery of the “Fish Dr” been revealed?

For those who are utterly confused by this bizarre question here’s a recap of events in short. Last week, a mysterious Twitter account was launched (@DayoftheFishDr) and fans were urged to follow it by people closely connected to the show, including past Doctors.

Fans weren’t told why exactly but there have been several tweets since dropping hints as to what it is all about. Along with the two photos attached, the account has tweeted the following at the time of writing:

9 days. They are coming…
“Hang on. One thing. Why are we doing all this?”
8 days. Ready or not…
POLICE INCIDENT LOG – April 18th 2013. Certain items reported missing from Doctor Who experience, Cardiff.
7 days/One week/Approximately 130 Gallifreyan hours…
6 days. Cometh the hour…cometh the men. #FDR #FishDr
‘Get Sylvester, I’ve had a moment of inspiration!’ – Peter Jackson, April 2013.
5 days… Quel dommage!
4 days – Davison Pic (below)
3 days – Tennant Pic (above)

davison-fish-doctor

Some eagle-eyed Doctor Who TV readers have since discovered a Red Button TV listing for a Doctor Who special mini episode called The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot (hence FDR).

Synopsis:

Miss the classic Doctors? They’re back in this celebratory special written and directed by Peter Davison.

This will begin airing from 10pm Saturday 23rd on BBC’s Red Button service.

Some of you remember the Classic Doctor “protest” or Sean Pertwee’s script tweet a while back. According to the latter, Peter Davison will be joined by Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Sean Pertwee and Olivia Colman and they will all star as themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 16:13 
8-Bit Champion

More about FDR

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-five-doctors-reboot.html

The Five Doctors Reboot

Peter Davison revealed earlier today at the Official Doctor Who Celebration (pictured above with Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker) that his very own Doctor Who special will air on the BBC Red Button from Saturday. Titled The Five Doctors Reboot (using the hashtag #fdr on Twitter), it was written and directed by Davison and, according to him, features a "better cast" than the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special, The Day of the Doctor. Confirmed to star in it so far are Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, Sean Pertwee, Olivia Colman.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-11- ... qq.twitter

Doctor Who 50th: Peter Davison set to bring back classic Doctors with comedy mini-episode

Former Doctors such as Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann are likely to star alongside Broadchurch actor Olivia Colman in Peter Davison's Red-Button spoof

It’s been a good week for those keen to see classic Doctors involved in the celebration of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary. First, one actor dropped this enormous spoiler and now it turns out that Peter Davison is writing and directing a special mini-episode featuring past incarnations of the Time Lord.

Listed as the The Five(ish) Doctors, the 15-minute comedy will debut on the BBC Red Button, after The Day of the Doctor, at 10pm on Saturday night. The synopsis reads, "Miss the classic Doctors? They're back in this celebratory special written and directed by Peter Davison."

It’s unconfirmed exactly who will be involved in the short but earlier this year Sean Pertwee (son of the third Doctor Jon Pertwee) did tweet – and subsequently delete – a casting call for a scene featuring Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann and Broadchurch actor Olivia Colman all playing themselves. It is highly likely to be linked.

As to what the comedy will concern, a picture (below) was taken in September of Davison and McCoy filming a scene in which they ‘protested’ their omission from the 50th anniversary special with banners that read “No Classics? No 50th!” and “Have a heart, Classic Doctors want a part!” Being the keen Sherlock Holmes's we are, we’d say that this is linked to the mini-episode too. Earlier this week, a mysterious account called @dayofthefishDr also sprung up on Twitter and began to post cryptic clues about something coming on the day of the 50th anniversary.

What with The Fish Dr obviously being a play on The Five-ish Doctors (Sherlock, remember?), we'd harbour a guess at this also being linked; especially since it started tweeting behind-the-scenes images from the spoof – including this one, below, of Day of the Doctor star David Tennant counting down the days until it airs. It is unconfirmed whether he is involved in the actual episode, however.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 17:39 
Gogmagog

Did not realise this was on. Boo!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 17:43 
8-Bit Champion

MaliA wrote:
Did not realise this was on. Boo!

Its on the Iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... _and_Time/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 22:21 

TheVision wrote:
An Adventure in space and time was brilliant! I didn't think I'd be able to dedicate a full 90 minutes to watching TV on a Thursday night, but it flew by.

I needed a relaxing bath so didn't see most of this, but Argus Filtch was a great bit of casting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 22:22 

Mimi wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I needed a relaxing bath so didn't see most of this, but Argus Filtch was a great bit of casting.

Had to stop looking at the screen as I can't watch old men cry without feeling depressed for days. I feel like I might watch it later in the week, though.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:28 
Chinny chin chin

I take it everyone spotted the cameos.

William Russell (Ian Chesterton) as the BBC commissionaire. 89 and still acting!
Carol Ann Ford (Susan) as the mother calling in the kids from the street
Alan Bradley Mark Eden (Marco Polo from the 4th and now missing story) as the BBC exec who wants the series cancelled.
Jean Marsh (Sara Kingdom) and Anneke Wills (Polly) appearing next to each other in the farewell party scene.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 22:54 
I forgot about this - how vain

That was fan-fucking-tactic.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 23:17 
Goth

I liked it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 0:06 
Chinny chin chin

Day Of The Fish Doctor is now on the red button. A great skit featuring Peter Davison and lots and lots of friends.

Produced by Davison on a budget of £2.50, your jaw will drop when you see a couple of the cameos.

It does have the feel of a fan made video but it's remarkable effort and so many people are involved.

[edit]

Now on iPlayer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 0:40 
Excellent Excellente

Well, glad I made the effort to watch DotD tonight! I'd say the Christmas special has a pretty tough act to follow, even if it is supposed to feature the passing of the baton between Smith and Capaldi.

* Tom Baker actually let slip a few days ago he was going to be in it, for whatever reason. Didn't divulge any further than that of course. But the moment I heard him speak in his scene I knew it was him off the bat. That voice is damn unique.
* That said, the way he was all "maybe I'm the Doctor, maybe I'm not the Doctor" throughout said scene was probably to leave the fanbase deciding for themselves what to go with. Still, gotta love how he was only known as "The Curator" - only a few letters of difference!
* I was wondering why all the previews/trailers/summaries said very little about Billie Piper's role - didn't think it'd be because she wasn't actually going to be Rose this time, even though it should've dawned on me that nobody ever mentioned Rose (I think).
* It was awfully nice of them to give us an early sneak preview of Capaldi there - that's got to be the first time a future main Doctor has been on-screen before the official regeneration (and I don't mean Doctor actors who played a different role before)?
* I was thinking all week about what way they were going to handle the Hurt > Ecclescakes regeneration. I thought they'd do it partly in silhouette so we could have a lingering second of pseudo-Nine at least.
* Glad to see they finally plugged the gap between Eight & Nine after all these years, though I can see why they're not officially referring to Hurt as the "Eight-And-A-Halfth"/"Eight-Point-Fifth" Doctor as that's a bit of a mouthful.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:02 

Just a standard post-2005 Doctor Who episode for the most part, sadly. Was surprised how watchable David Tennant's Doctor was, to be honest, found him a bit too irritating towards the end of his run, but he (and certainly John Hurt) did a better job than the incumbent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:12 
8-Bit Champion

Christmas trailer

And a very small spoiler from the episode so behind spoiler tags

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:17 

I don't care what anyone says, that was fan-fucking-tastic! I loved every second of it! The Five(ish) Doctors afterwards was a giggle too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:44 
8-Bit Champion

Did anyone else spend most of yesterday playing the new Zelda with people moving into and out of paintings and wall drawings then watch this last night with people being moved into and out of "paintings" ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:59 
Excellent Member

Zio wrote:
I don't care what anyone says, that was fan-fucking-tastic! I loved every second of it! The Five(ish) Doctors afterwards was a giggle too.

I enjoyed The Five(ish) Doctors far more than The Day of the Doctor. :)

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01m3kfy

Highly recommended, such a lot of fun and a good number of laugh out loud moments. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 17:44 
Excellent Member

I was looking forward to this so immensely
in the end I liked it, but not so very much

- I was sad it wasn't Rose and her doctor, obviously just my personal preference but I loved them together and knowing they were both in it I was looking forward to it and that didn't happen
- there seemed to be to episodes for me 1. the war doctor and the three doctors and all that and 2. the Elisabeth / shape shifters / unit thing that was completely left unfinished - I guess they are still negotiating today
- after years of "the universe would explode" three doctors happily sit about together
- they got all the doctors together in the end, but so rushed you could hardly enjoy it

still I'm happy he's going to look for Gallifrey and any doctor who is fun so happy to watch it of course
it's really annoying that we can't watch iplayer etc in nl so I will have to look for the fish thing :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 20:05 
8-Bit Champion

miki wrote:
it's really annoying that we can't watch iplayer etc in nl so I will have to look for the fish thing :)

Its on most of the torrent sites this morning

http://www.eztvproxy.org/ep/50015/docto ... -deadpool/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 20:42 

I've caught up with everything now, and absolutely loved both the Gatiss thing from last week, and the new episode on last night.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:47 
Unpossible!

I've noticed that Carpaldi is being referred to as The Thirteenth Doctor. Does that mean Hurt can be the 12th?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 13:03 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
I've noticed that Carpaldi is being referred to as The Thirteenth Doctor. Does that mean Hurt can be the 12th?

He wasn't referred to as the 13th, but that there were thirteen Doctors there to assist with the calculations (12 + the War Doctor)

The official canon is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, War Doctor, 9, 10, 11, Dream Lord, 12 ... Watcher and Valeyard come some time after that, but no one's quite sure where.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 14:38 
UltraMod

The best thing is:
now you can watch Doctor Who starting with 'new' Series 1 up to the Day of the Doctor in an infinite loop. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 15:52 
Unpossible!

Oh, I've just remembered something! I smiled when 10 referred to 11 as 'Chinny' :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 16:04 
Chinny chin chin

DavPaz wrote:
Oh, I've just remembered something! I smiled when 10 referred to 11 as 'Chinny' :)

NO OUTING ON THE FORUM!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 
Gogmagog

I seemed to have been sent a version that was a mediocre, self congratulatory hour with a story riddled with plot holes. Weird.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:14 
Goth

Well yes obviously. It's Doctor Who that's what it was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 
Excellent Member

DavPaz wrote:
yeah! I immediately thought "real forumites thread" :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:26 
UltraMod

If a 50th anniversary special can't be self-congratulatory, I don't know what can.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:50 
Unpossible!

Looking for plot holes in Doctor Who is like looking for sand in the Sahara.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:06 
UltraMod

DavPaz wrote:
Looking for plot holes in Doctor Who is like looking for sand in the Sahara.

And if Mali thought it that was mediocre, I'd never ever recommend he watches any of the other anniversary shows. Crikey.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:20 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

SilentElk wrote:
If a 50th anniversary special can't be self-congratulatory, I don't know what can.

Me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 
Chinny chin chin

MaliA wrote:
I seemed to have been sent a version that was a mediocre, self congratulatory hour with a story riddled with plot holes. Weird.

I agree with the riddled with plot holes bit. So much was written about the Zygon comeback and yet they were wasted as yet another generic monster of the week and worst of all they were forgotten about at the end. Did they just give up? Are they still locked in negotiations? If they agreed to a truce there are now 2 sets of each person walking around.

Terror of the Zygons is now out on DVD. Go and buy it and remind yourself how good the Zygons were.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 
UltraMod

chinnyhill10 wrote:
worst of all they were forgotten about at the end. Did they just give up? Are they still locked in negotiations? If they agreed to a truce there are now 2 sets of each person walking around.

Yep, it's a shame that wasn't resolved, but I guess the story wasn't really about them after all. It was about the War Doctor and his choice to use the weapon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 
UltraMod

http://www.buzzfeed.com/paulaersly/grea ... th-anniver

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 18:50 
Excellent Member

Why would there be two sets of them walking around? The Zygons would eventually just revert to their natural forms, as was said earlier in the episode that they need to keep the subject alive to maintain a 'refresh'.

Also they seemed to be discussing things affably, so I reckon we can chalk the Zygons up to being in the neutral co-existence camp, like the Silurians and the Ood. Always wanted the Sontarrans to ally with the humies though, just 'cos their fun to have around and frankly, it gets a bit of a bore with every alien wheeled on being our enemy.

Bit of a shame the Zygons only went "Rooaaargh!" in natural form though, thought it would be more interesting if they kept on talking and scheming like they had in human form. Tsk.

The Five Doctors was one of only two Who stories I had on VHS as a kid. I really liked it, despite all the sloppiness! Though I was astonished that Rassilon entirely fails to see the point of the childishly absurd 'riddle' at the end. "He would win will lose, and he who will lose will win!" "Cool. I'll win, please."

And that warrior robot was pretty cool that moves faster than you can see. Bring him back.

Oh, despite hating most of Moffat's second and third seasons (liked his first), I actually really enjoyed the special!

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 20:25 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

It was pretty good, what was the point of the sciencey girl being called Osgood? With the reference to her sister as well. Isn't that Clara's surname?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 20:43 
Paws for thought

Bobbyaro wrote:
It was pretty good, what was the point of the sciencey girl being called Osgood? With the reference to her sister as well.

From Myps link, a callback to this: http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Osgood

Quote:
Isn't that Clara's surname?

No. The Os---d bit is common, at least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 23:45 
Sleepyhead

Finally saw this.

Lagged a bit in places, and I wasn't into the Queen stuff, but got very fun, and it was nice to see Tennant and Piper back.

And Hurt was awesome, obviously enough.

And those EYES!

Reply to topic  [ 4308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 87  Next