Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Animated Entertainment!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:44 
lazy eye patch

MetalAngel wrote:
Batman: TAS is the greatest superhero cartoon ever, not to mention the best rendition of Batman ever.

You know, I've never really properly seen that. Only the occasional random episode many years ago before I turned into a fanboy. Cheers MA - to the ...*checks rules* to teh torrentz.com! (subz/modz check please)

How about I Am Weasel? Ooo, Ed, Edd & Eddy, that's one of my faves.

DOUG. DOUG. DOUG.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:45 
Not to be confused with elbow

CUS wrote:

How about I Am Weasel? Ooo, Ed, Edd & Eddy, that's one of my faves.

DOUG. DOUG. DOUG.

:luv:

I bloody love Ed, Edd & Eddy!!

I R BABOON :D

Post subject: Re: Cartoons!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:49 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

CUS wrote:
At university, a friend told me that there is an episode of JLA that basically goes like this:

JLA kick out Batman
JLA discover Batman has already long-since worked out how to kill/trap all of them, should he ever need to.
JLA become a bit fucking nervous and ask why.
Batman says "I'm a man in a costume, and you can all fly and travel in time and stuff. I'm not a fucking idiot."
JLA admit he has a point and cautiously welcome him back in.

This is why I love Batman. Did that episode really take place and if so, could you tell me which one it is please, so I ould seek it out? :)

I think I've read the comic of this. Did they kick he out because he wasn't super, and send Superman to kill him when he wouldn't stop being heroic?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:03 
lazy eye patch

I dunno mate, that post of mine exhausts all of my knowledge on it! It's a brilliant story idea, that's why I posted it, was hoping to get Nirjywirjy's thread back on track. Maybe it was from the comics then. Sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:25 
Honey Boo Boo

Zardoz: Some are on Youtube, but I doubt all would be allowed (such as the Nude Beach Frenzy episode)... there is a Region 1 DVD which I bought whilst in CANANDADA.

Curiosity: Yes, the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy is far better than first appearances suggest*. The one where Grim and Elderly Dracula (a Mr T-alike) are stuck in the desert and their theme song alludes everything is like 'an angry woman' had me laughing like a drain.

*unlike Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, which is rubbish

CUS: There are some torrentz out there worth getting. I managed to cram *almost* all of them onto three DVDs... I ended up having to slice out one episode, which turned out to be the agonizingly shit 'Baby Doll' episode. No big loss (unless an evil, obnoxious version of Elmyra on the rampage is your idea of fun, which, trust me, it isn't) there.

Ed, Edd and Eddy is brilliant.

Doug is a loser, and needs to bumsex Patti Mayonnaise already.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:27 
PC Gamer

Yeah, I think that's a story from the JLA comics, it definitely rings a bell. I'm pretty sure he makes passing reference to it a couple of times in the cartoon, though. The animated series does a really good job of getting across that Batman is a) a complete badass and b) an absolute key member of a team that's otherwise made up of actual no-fooling demigods.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 19:38 
An expert on bulls you are not

Both Justice League and Batman: TAS are superb... well, actually, just about anything involving Bruce Timm and Paul Dini is superb. Did either of them ever do a bad show?

Sadly though they never got around to doing that Green Lantern series that everyone* has been waiting for...

*well, me, anyway

In fearful day, in raging night,
With strong hearts full our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the stars--
For hope burns bright!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 19:41 
lazy eye patch

At least they're no longer making a 'comedy' Green Lantern film staring Jack Black YES THAT NEARLY REALLY HAPPENED

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 19:46 
I forgot about this - how vain

Rodafowa wrote:
Yeah, I think that's a story from the JLA comics, it definitely rings a bell. I'm pretty sure he makes passing reference to it a couple of times in the cartoon, though. The animated series does a really good job of getting across that Batman is a) a complete badass and b) an absolute key member of a team that's otherwise made up of actual no-fooling demigods.

Agreed, without him they would be fucked. Thats never in question, and its wonderful.

Point in case: The first episode/pilot of JLA.

He doesn't even flinch.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 20:13 
Goth

Oban Star Racers is a really quite touching story. The struggles of a girl to be accepted by her father who at first doesn't recognise her. People in it have complicated issues which aren't easily resolved. It takes a long time for everyone to work out their problems in the show. It's also quite exciting in the racing bits.

Batman being essential despite having no powers makes him the most super badass of all time. Probably. His occasional slight distaste for his super powered friends, particularly in series 4, is handled brilliantly. The way he is written makes him a very well rounded character though, it's not just I'm super badass awesome guy. It's pretty understated which is probably what makes it work so well.

Batman TAS is of course marvelous and wonderful and is definitely the most atmospheric cartoon ever. Beats the crap out of the that Christopher Nolan stuff.. JLA continues the trend though in an equally brilliant manner. I think it says something about the brilliance of the cartoon that Mr Freeze had been forgotten about since the 60s Batman series and yet they made him a major character again. The introduction of Harley Quinn made its way over to the comic world as well.

I really should mention Question in Justice League. His suspicion of everything including his fellow league members helps the viewer question whether they really know best as well. He's also pretty funny without being stupid. His romance with Huntress works pretty well with them both being somewhat outcast from the main group. Huntress in particular is outcast because of her willingness to kill for revenge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 20:54 
I forgot about this - how vain

The Question, Green Arrow and Batman really elevate the show beyond people in spandex hitting things. That and batman and Wonderwomans sexual tension is excellently well done too.

When you watch JLU then go back and watch thundercats or whatever it makes you realise that the kids lucky enough to watch this have it so much better.

Though saying that JLU is about as far away from a kids show as you can get whilst still convincing 'the suits' that it is a kids comic.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 21:32 
Irresponsible member

Bloody hell watching those Justice League clips was great. How did I not know about this? I thought the pinicle of cartoons was Transformers and Spiderman with a bit of Dungeons and Dragons thrown in. Although I do love Avatar.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 21:35 
Goth

I don't think Batman Wonderwoman was done as well as the genius romance between
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
GL and HG
. It's quite good that it just isn't quite working. Hawk Girl remains one of the strongest and most characters as well I feel. Especially in relation to season 2 finale.

Series 4 is astonishingly violent isn't it? The amount of brutal looking fights in that.. it's a wonder it got past the censors considering the fairly realistic nature of it. I sometimes wish however it could have just gone that one step slightly over the line and not had to show people escaping and so forth. If it could have escaped 'the suits' and gone fully mature. It's pretty impressive that it's a cartoon and rated PG.

Thundercats has a large following, purely from nostalgia. But then it is something that is more a kids show than JL(U) ever has been. Something like Thundercats has its place (I Still emulate Mum-Ra when stretch-yawning) but Snarf was just a horrible precursor to Jar Jar Binks.

JL is great when it ends on a downer.

One more thing, and a slight fun poke at JL, how the hell is anywhere still standing with all the destruction they cause?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 
PC Gamer

Nirejhenge wrote:
Hawk Girl remains one of the strongest and most characters as well I feel. Especially in relation to season 2 finale.

Hawkgirl is fucking awesome. I thought it was a nice touch that the two most openly aggressive and violent characters on the team were the two women.

Steve wrote:
Bloody hell watching those Justice League clips was great. How did I not know about this? I thought the pinicle of cartoons was Transformers and Spiderman with a bit of Dungeons and Dragons thrown in.

I bloody love the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon. Although the first thing Hank should have done was put one of those flaming-lightning-arrow things through the sodding unicorn's head. That little bastard stopped them getting home on at least three separate occasions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 13:18 
Goth

I finished off Series 5 last night and again the ending felt a little bit like a disappointment. Sure it had a fair bit of grand scale and all that with lots of explosions and people hitting things but I like the episodes that are more character driven. Like say Grudge Match which really gave Huntress a good opportunity to shine. The Question's line of "Ha! I knew there were 32 flavours!" was brilliant (in context). I really think a Black Canary / Huntress / Question / Green Arrow series would work very well.

The episode with the army guy who makes himself superhuman to show the world how evil the justice league are by basically destroying everything was great too. Very much a reminder of the so called War on Terror and invasion of Iraq/Afghanistan etc. It really is at its best when it makes references to politics and also when it just has great character driven stories. Really would like to see Black Canary developed more but sadly it's all over now.

Overall: Brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 17:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Is Justice League the same as Justice League Unlimited?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 17:30 
PC Gamer

More or less. Justice League was the first two series when it concentrated entirely on Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Martian Manhunter and The Flash. They opened it up for the last three seasons and chucked loads of "reserve members" into the mix, folks like Green Arrow, Booster Gold, The Question, Black Canary and whathaveyou and called it "Justice League Unlimited".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:03 
Comfortably Dumb

Rodafowa wrote:

Pah.. the guy can't even escape from a cardboard box. Either that or he's waiting for Bowser to bugger off first.

(At least it's a better design than the Alien joystick I suppose)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:11 
Honey Boo Boo

Hoho! Is his ridiculous square jaw the trigger, and you wedge your thumb between his ears for the POV hat?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:15 
Comfortably Dumb

Daft thing is, it's for the NES. Playing Super Mario on that would be agony after a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:18 
Honey Boo Boo

NES?? But... he's the last season of Batman TAS Batman, which would mean it was what, 1994? Heck, even if I'm wrong and he's from the VERY VERY beginning of Batman TAS, that makes in 1992 when everyone was buying SNESeses.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:25 
Comfortably Dumb

Just had a nose inside the box and it says 1992. I always assumed the two base buttons (like you'd find on a lot of Cheetah sticks) were A & B but I've just realised that the two base buttons are B and there's a black button where his arms are folded and a button on his belt which are both A. :S

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 20:30 
Honey Boo Boo

Cool. Did they make a Harley Quinn version where her boobs are the buttons, I wonder? Probably didn't make it past the prototype stage...

Post subject: Re: Cartoons!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:56 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

The Rev Owen wrote:
I love Cheese.

Rev Owen you are obviously a man of exceptional taste. Foster's Home of Imaginary Friends never fails to entertain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:59 
Not to be confused with elbow

Did anyone watch 'Bing and Bong?' Aliens from a tiny planet me and mum used to watch it, I know that's sad but my mum has the same sense of humour and tastes as me-shit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:31 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Oooo...want one.

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2