Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Games rush! (now with release dates in first post)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:36 

Edit -- I'm adding a quick reference list of major titles release dates here, sourced from Eurogamer:

2nd Oct - FIFA 09
16th Oct - Saints Row 2
23rd Oct - Fable 2 / Far Cry 2
24th Oct - Dead Space
31st Oct - Fallout 3 / Valkyria Chronicles / PES 2009
3rd Nov - LittleBigPlanet
4th Nov - GTI Club+
7th Nov - Gears of War 2 / MotorStorm Pacific Rift
14th Nov - Banjo-Kazooie / Mirror's Edge / COD5 Word Woofare / Rock Band 2 (solus)
19th Nov - New Xbox Experience
21st Nov - Left4Dead / MK vs DC, NFS: Undercover, Tomb Raider Underworld
5th Dec - Animal Crossing
"early Dec" - Rock Band 2 instruments

Mid-Nov (allegedly): Guitar Hero: World Tour

Old content follows:
Eurogamer have today reviewed LittleBigPlanet (9/10) and Dead Space (7/10). Looks like the winter games rush is upon us!

LBP:
Quote:
The promise that anyone could create something simple and fun and personal with LittleBigPlanet hasn't come true. In a way, it's the opposite of Spore, which makes it easy and fun for every single player to have creative input, but doesn't let any of them change the fabric of the game. LittleBigPlanet lets them run wild, with unprecedented results, but it locks the majority out of the creative process, because it's time-consuming and simply not very enjoyable.

We hoped it could do both those things. That it doesn't isn't the let-down it might have been, thanks to the untamed community of brilliant nutjobs that's already out there, appending their DIY masterpieces to this beautiful, mildly flawed, magnificently multiplayer platform game. We salute them, we salute Media Molecule for making it possible for them, and we salute Sony for its total commitment to this brave, hare-brained project.

But mostly, we're just happy to see a flagship game for a modern system that's about running from left to right and jumping over things. New ideas are great, great old ideas are better, and LittleBigPlanet has both: it's the future and the past of videogames, rolled into one.

Dead Space:
Quote:
None of these criticisms will detract from your enjoyment, provided all you want from a game is the opportunity to repeatedly turn evil monsters into red mush in gorgeous HD detail. Dead Space easily delivers on that promise, but fails to turn its polished production values into something truly memorable over the long haul.
Good, I can take Dead Space off my Maybe To Buy list.

Post subject: Re: Keke Gamez Rush
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:38 
UltraMod

I heard it was Resi Evil in space, but it doesn't look like it's that good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:45 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

richardgaywood wrote:
Dead Space:
Quote:
None of these criticisms will detract from your enjoyment, provided all you want from a game is the opportunity to repeatedly turn evil monsters into red mush in gorgeous HD detail. Dead Space easily delivers on that promise, but fails to turn its polished production values into something truly memorable over the long haul.
Good, I can take Dead Space off my Maybe To Buy list.

I'll be sticking it firmly on mine, after that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:47 
Hibernating Druid

I'll grab a copy when it's £15-20.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:48 

Zardoz wrote:
:this: It's 2008's Assassin's Creed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:49 
Time Out for Fun

myoptika wrote:
I heard it was Resi Evil in space, but it doesn't look like it's that good.

its averaging 90 on metacritic and gamepro gave it full marks, Ill probably rent it but I'd quite like a demo of it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:55 

Runcle wrote:
its averaging 90 on metacritic and gamepro gave it full marks, Ill probably rent it but I'd quite like a demo of it.
Removing the likes of Microsoft ArseLicker Monthly and Some Crappy Site You Never Heard Of leaves 83% from 1up and 87% from IGN.

Quote:
Call it science fiction survival horror, but Dead Space does the genre proud with an engaging story; action that's tense, fast-paced and extremely violent; as well as atmospheric qualities that will get under your skin and make you jump.

Quote:
Dead Space ultimately feels like an incredibly polished and varied 6-hour game stretched out to make it twice that long. While I felt like I was repeating the same objectives a few too many times, the combat held up so well that I didn't even mind...too much.

I still think this sounds like a early-next-year £15 preowned game, like Ass Creed. There are too many games this time of year; no room for anything less than top notch excellence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 13:57 
I forgot about this - how vain

LBP
If LBP was on any other platform I would be cooing and gooing and squeeing all over the shop.

I think it's quite telling that as it's on the PS3 I mearly remark 'Ohh thats cool' and move on.

I'm glad I've managed to kick the constant unrequited desire to buy new hardware - but it still urks when I see something like that. But not that much anymore. As I said in another thread I'll get it when PS3's are about 50 - 100 quid.

Dead Space
I was worried that it would turn out like that. And it has. Still we be picking it up cheap in about a year and then thoroughly enjoy it.

Oh shit. I've worked it out. I've leveled up and acquired a new skill: Patience. 8)

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:07 
lazy eye patch

richardgaywood wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Aww fuck, really?

*takes Dead Space off shopping list :P*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:14 
Sleepyhead

Lave wrote:
Oh shit. I've worked it out. I've leveled up and acquired a new skill: Patience. 8)

How does one acquire this? All I've managed lately is ambivalence and bankruptcy.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:22 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 14:23 

Curiosity wrote:
Lave wrote:

How does one acquire this? All I've managed lately is ambivalence and bankruptcy.

Don't worry I have those too. They're the prerequisite skills, so you're nearly there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:25 
Honey Boo Boo

I was surprised by all the excitement that suddenly surrounded Dead Space, especially as the first preview trailers for it made it look utterly rubbish. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, the world needs more horrific derelict spaceship games in the style of gruesome favourites S.A.R: Search and Rescue, and of course the Aliens arcade game. System Shock 2 did this well, with half-decomposed mutanted humans clearly in agony and forced to do the bidding of aliens (which is, run around in tattered pants hitting things)

It's a bit of a shame they've included a human element, really, of you being radioed instructions. Better, I would have thought, to have you completely and utterly alone, trying to survive long enough to escape.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:31 
Excellent Member

gore+space+res evil 4 combat=must have when its cheap (as i do with every other game)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:46 
Excellent Member

speaking of games to look foward to has the ALiens: colonial marines 4 player awesome looking thing been put back? thats on my PREORDER IMMEDIATELY list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:30 

Eurogamer (is it just me or are they scooping everyone else this week?) have given Saints Row 2 9/10 and a very positive writeup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:37 
UltraMod

They gave GTA IV 10/10, though. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 

The LBP review is really really bad. He waffles on about bollocks at the start, talks about the game a little bit, COMPLAINS about a load of stuff and sticks 9/10 on the end. Reading it, it sounds like a half-decent, but short singleplayer game with a level editor tacked on allowing awesome user created levels. However, the level editor is too complicated for anyone but the hardcore to use properly.

Obviously I haven't played it, and I hope it's really good, but the review doesn't read like a 9/10. However, I'm willing to accept that it's a decent game and the review is just shit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:59 

jonarob wrote:
The LBP review is really really bad. He waffles on about bollocks at the start, talks about the game a little bit, COMPLAINS about a load of stuff and sticks 9/10 on the end. Reading it, it sounds like a half-decent, but short singleplayer game with a level editor tacked on allowing awesome user created levels. However, the level editor is too complicated for anyone but the hardcore to use properly.
Penny Arcade were very positive. They said there are already more levels than you could ever hope to play, and that because no-one is controlling what is in them you get levels that are all sorts of bizarre half-working one joke stuff. This means a lot of them are dull but a few are totally unexpected stuff, and that the in-game rating system will hopefully allow the cream to float to the top.

I'm keen on it, from what I've read so far. The same-console 4-up multiplayer sounds excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:00 
PC Gamer

richardgaywood wrote:
Eurogamer (is it just me or are they scooping everyone else this week?) have given Saints Row 2 9/10 and a very positive writeup.

Did anyone else find the car handling in the original SR just game-breakingly terrible? Any idea if they've sorted that out for the sequel? Naturally, the review doesn't give any clues.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:05 
UltraMod

Nah, I'd say the car-handling was fine. Better than in Crackdown, for example. I love Crackie, but the cars weren't the best bit about it...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:09 

myoptika wrote:
I love Crackie, but the cars weren't the best bit about it...
I despised the driving, particularly grinding my driving skill up to maximum. That was exceedingly tedious. I never did max my agent out, still missing a few points on gunnery and agility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:46 

No joke, those last two posts reminded me there was driving in it.

Jumpy jump jump all the way for me.

I should play it again sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:46 
lazy eye patch

:this: And it's probably the game I've actually played most on my 360, other than Halo3 or CoD4. The only way I could 'do' the driving was to just ignore the pedestrians and treat it like Carmageddon. Then it was just about doable.

The jumpy-jumpy, however, I will not hear a word against.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:10 
UltraMod

Ok, I've just read the EG Saints Row 2 review, and I'm totally confused. It makes me think that the reviewer hasn't played the first game at all, as he doesn't compare them. He mentions things like the territories and the hostages, but they're all in the first game.

How do I know whether this game's worth buying if they haven't said what kind of improvements it holds over the first?

Yours confusedly,
Myppy Vanyppy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:24 
lazy eye patch

Also, because I keep meaning but forgetting to ask: "Keke"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:25 

myoptika wrote:
How do I know whether this game's worth buying if they haven't said what kind of improvements it holds over the first?
I've heard that the internet has many "websites" devoted to "games reviews".

CUS wrote:
KEKE ZERG RUSH.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:26 
Time Out for Fun

myoptika wrote:
Ok, I've just read the EG Saints Row 2 review, and I'm totally confused. It makes me think that the reviewer hasn't played the first game at all, as he doesn't compare them. He mentions things like the territories and the hostages, but they're all in the first game.

Yours confusedly,
Myppy Vanyppy.

also he seems to thing its the spiritual successor to vice city even though saints row is pretty much a prettier san andreas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:30 
UltraMod

richardgaywood wrote:
myoptika wrote:
I've heard that the internet has many "websites" devoted to "games reviews".

You patronising little weasel. ;)

I know I can read reviews elsewhere, or even - shock horror - play the game to find out, but it does seem a little strange that a games reviewer would make comparisons to another series of games, but not its direct predecessor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:34 
lazy eye patch

richardgaywood wrote:
CUS wrote:
KEKE ZERG RUSH.

Ahhhhhhhhhh riiiiigghhhhtttt. Heh.

I still prefer Ah! Ah! Ah! myself :hat:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:40 

myoptika wrote:
You patronising little weasel. ;)
You love it, bitch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 14:44 
King of Anglia

Ignore Eurogamer; Dead Space is brill.

It spins an engaging yarn, it's dripping with atmosphere and the zero gravity stuff is geni-arse.

An 8 out of 10 if ever there was one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:43 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I noticed that about the Saints Row 2 review as well. It sounds the same. I'm prepared to believe there's more to it, but the reviewer doesn't seem to know enough about the original to point out the new bits. Either way, it's at least good to see a review by someone who gets the point of it (ie: HAVE FUN). I still think the original is far more fun than all the GTA games. If the second one is just more of the same, well, it may be worth buying next year. I rather liked the cars in the original, they were alright, and shooting out of them while driving was well done.

Crackdown's cars were okay, but the rouble was, there was hardly any point in ever using them. They were never necessary for missions, and there was nowhere to go and nothing to do with them axcept drive at high sped along the motorways (with the agency truck on turbo, smashing scores of cars ad infinitum. But that wouldn't help your game in any way and was ultimately pointless and got old fast), and even that wasn't amazing.

It is, however, great fun taking the agency SUV into some of the hideouts and running over all the bodyguards.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:48 
Sleepyhead

I maxed out all my powers in Crackdown other than driving, which got as far as you can go without ever using the cars. Which isn't very high.

In fact, I thinkI even got some points by getting somoene (posibly myp) to pick me up in the car and throw me through some hoops.

I might C'down again sometime soon, the jumpy fun was astonishing.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 16:51 
PC Gamer

sinister agent wrote:
I rather liked the cars in the original, they were alright, and shooting out of them while driving was well done.

Man, I must have been playing a different game to everyone else. I wasn't keen on the new "more realistic" handling in GTA IV over the cartoony fun of throwing Vice City/SA's cars around, but driving in Saint's Row was a dozen times worse. It just had no feel to it whatsoever. Even Crackdown's vehicles were better.

I'm plainly in a minority of one over this though, so hey.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:01 
lazy eye patch

Curiosity wrote:
I might C'down again sometime soon, the jumpy fun was astonishing.

It most certainly was. Alas, I fear that having spent most of last spring and early summer obsessively playing it, I was somewhat spoiled when I played the somewhat-similar Assassin's Creed, which I personally found to be a less successful take on run-jump-murder fun. I appreciate however that I am in the minority on this. I just wanted to quietly mention it, not to diss AC but because there's a chance that someone, some day, might read this and not have played Crackdown.

To that person I say : you are a belming idiot and I hate you and I wish you were as dead as Ringo Starr. GO PLAY CRACKDOWN.

I'm not sure I'll bother with Saint's Row 2 until it's '2 for £40'. A bit GTA'd out now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 17:51 
Honey Boo Boo

ultrabrilliant wrote:
Ignore Dan 'Fucking' Whitehead; Dead Space is brill.

Nothing does well unless it forces you to completely re-evaluate everything you ever believed was true.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

OK. Given that googling this just gives hundreds of forums where people are randomly speculating pre-release, does anyone know if Saint's Row 2 has full campaign mode offline split-screen co-op?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:39 
UltraMod

I very much doubt it. I can't think of (m)any sandbox games where you've got split-screen at all...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:40 
UltraMod

Curiosity wrote:
I might C'down again sometime soon, the jumpy fun was astonishing. :)

Let me know, as I've got stuff I need to finish off in that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 14:50 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dr Awkward wrote:
I very much doubt it. I can't think of (m)any sandbox games where you've got split-screen at all...

It's got offline split-screen, I'm just not sure if it's the full campaign or poxy little rampages like in GTA:SA.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 18:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Right, well - back of the box:

Quote:
|Co-op 2| |System Link 2-12| |Online Co-op 2|

Am I alone in thinking that this means the game has offline single-console co-op? Apparently I am, because it doesn't. Fucking wankers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:36 

GTI Club+ for PSN dated, Nov 4th, £9.99. I used to really like the GTI Club arcade. Edit -- and it's made by the guys who did Outrun2 for Xbox, which I think some people here liked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
Right, well - back of the box:

Quote:

Am I alone in thinking that this means the game has offline single-console co-op? Apparently I am, because it doesn't. Fucking wankers.

I've got to say, I'd imagine that meant 'system link or online'.
What do games that do have split screen multiplayer (GoW, for example) say?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:
What do games that do have split screen multiplayer (GoW, for example) say?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Post subject: Re: Games rush! (now with release dates in first post)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 17:49 

I edited my first post in this thread to add a calender of major forthcoming releases. If I have any dates wrong or missed any major titles off, PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 19:18 

As I just said on Snappy gamer. £9.99? Fuck right off. That's 1600 points+ in MS money for a retro arcade port.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 19:26 

Dudley wrote:
As I just said on Snappy gamer. £9.99? Fuck right off. That's 1600 points+ in MS money for a retro arcade port.

1600 points in £13.60

£9.99 is 1170 points so the new 'premium cost' for download games. :(

(I've played my part in bringin that about :( )

I've no idea what this game is though so I can't judge its worth. But the outrun 2 peeps 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 20:42 

Lave wrote:
Dudley wrote:

1600 points in £13.60

You're buying from the wrong places.

I make it £12.16 at Tesco prices now.

If we go by what I actually paid for my points 1600 is £9.88.

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next