Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 22:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 6172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 206  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:37 
User avatar
Fitness Nut...

Joined: 25th Sep, 2008
Posts: 18125
Location: shropshire, uk
markg wrote:
It's ok, ending was a bit of a damp squid.


Squib? Or am I missing the joke..

_________________
MetalAngel wrote:
Kovacs: From 'unresponsive' to 'kebab' in 3.5 seconds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:57 
User avatar
Decapodian

Joined: 15th Oct, 2010
Posts: 3076
KovacsC wrote:
markg wrote:
It's ok, ending was a bit of a damp squid.


Squib? Or am I missing the joke..


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnXKVY-_i2c


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48473
Location: Nottingham
Travelers
The OA
12 Monkeys

All worth watching, varying from good to excellent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45352
The OA can go fuck itself

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 
Awesome
User avatar
Yes

Joined: 6th Apr, 2008
Posts: 11490
I liked The OA.

Been renewed as well apparently, though where they'll go with it I don't know.

_________________
Always proof read carefully in case you any words out

Do some price comparison on games, DVDs, books or CDs at Find It Cheapest.com
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:46 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6988
12 Monkeys is one of my favourite films but the TV show is pretty bad, at least the first four or so episodes were. It's also a bad idea to turn a film into a TV show if you didn't understand the film.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 
User avatar
Prince of Fops

Joined: 14th May, 2009
Posts: 1489
Cras wrote:
The OA can go fuck itself


Califooooornyaaaaaaaaaaaaa


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 22:29 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
The Expanse really is ace.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 13:54 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48473
Location: Nottingham
MrChris wrote:
The Expanse really is ace.

It's kind of like GoT in space so far. I've only watched 3 episodes so far but I'm enjoying it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 15:51 
SupaMod
User avatar
Everybodys gilf

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 45352
S1 is quite slow up until the last couple of episodes, then it becomes UNSTOPPABLE BRILLOPANTS

_________________
GoddessJasmine wrote:
Drunk, pulled Craster's pork, waiting for brdyime story,reading nuts. Xz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 20:44 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
So the last episodes of Legion was pretty disappointing. Mostly it was good and all, but the middle of it was just such a horrendous exposition dump that it shat all over the pacing of the entire series. There wasn't even an attempt at subtlety, what with sticking the main character in an actual fucking classroom and just throwing facts at him. Every aspect of the story that had been left unexplained up to that point was just rushed through in a couple of minutes like they'd lost the courage of their convictions. Boo!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 22:24 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
Bamba wrote:
So the last episodes of Legion was pretty disappointing. Mostly it was good and all, but the middle of it was just such a horrendous exposition dump that it shat all over the pacing of the entire series. There wasn't even an attempt at subtlety, what with sticking the main character in an actual fucking classroom and just throwing facts at him. Every aspect of the story that had been left unexplained up to that point was just rushed through in a couple of minutes like they'd lost the courage of their convictions. Boo!


I didnt really think it was that bad. There's still lots of stuff going on that is entirely unexplained or at the very least seriously sketchy, and there was very little in the exposition that we didn't already know; but it was a neat scene and the animations were cool. The only thing it spelled out was the identity of the parasite, which in itself wasn't even that much info.

Though the thing in the first minute...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That was Charles Xavier's wheelchair, right?


Only one episode left! I personally foresee an ending where either:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
There's a layer of astral plane or whatever more than they think, so a lot of stuff didn't actually happen (if they went too far and made the entire thing inside his head that would probably be shit though), or
They think they've won but the parasite chap has Twin Peaks'd himself into someone else's head (probably Jermaine's).


P.S. Stable door horse bolted and all that jazz, but we so should have had a thread for this show.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:29 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
Curiosity wrote:
I didnt really think it was that bad. There's still lots of stuff going on that is entirely unexplained or at the very least seriously sketchy, and there was very little in the exposition that we didn't already know; but it was a neat scene and the animations were cool. The only thing it spelled out was the identity of the parasite, which in itself wasn't even that much info.


It was the way it spelled out everything to do with the parasite in a single dump; not least the
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
back story of its battle with Xavier
which David had no way of knowing anyway so fuck knows how he was able to explain it to himself. They've had ages to introduce the thing and maybe reveal bits of the backstory in a more organic way but nope, let's just dump it all out there and move on. Balls.

Curiosity wrote:
Though the thing in the first minute...

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
That was Charles Xavier's wheelchair, right?



ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Yeah, Legion is Xavier's son in the comics so that part isn't a too big a twist.


Curiosity wrote:
Only one episode left! I personally foresee an ending where either:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
There's a layer of astral plane or whatever more than they think, so a lot of stuff didn't actually happen (if they went too far and made the entire thing inside his head that would probably be shit though), or
They think they've won but the parasite chap has Twin Peaks'd himself into someone else's head (probably Jermaine's).


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I definitely think Jermaine's character will be the key somehow. It struck me as odd at the time that he was just suddently 'there' in the real world after being gone for so long and they seem to be heavily signposting the fact that he doesn't remember his wife at all. Certainly in the comics the Shadow King's whole deal is jumping around from brain to brain so that'll almost certainly be the basis of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
Something else I wondered about: what's the deal with Lennny in general? He definitely existed because David's ex-girlfriend remembered him so has he just dropped out of David's life at some unknown point and then the parasite's taken over all those memories in David's head? I thought I remembered Syd actually interacting with and referencing the female version when they were in the asylum (doesn't she talk about how she killed his best friend when they swapped bodies and she freaked out?) but that can't be true because that version never actually existed so am I just misremembering or is that still unexplained?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13094
Bamba wrote:
Something else I wondered about: what's the deal with Lennny in general? He definitely existed because David's ex-girlfriend remembered him so has he just dropped out of David's life at some unknown point and then the parasite's taken over all those memories in David's head? I thought I remembered Syd actually interacting with and referencing the female version when they were in the asylum (doesn't she talk about how she killed his best friend when they swapped bodies and she freaked out?) but that can't be true because that version never actually existed so am I just misremembering or is that still unexplained?


Unexplained

I watched the first episode closely expecting that Lenny was all in Davids head (that was my idea at the very start) , and you see other people interact with her at different points - we just dont know if that was real or not.

If she was not there after having David body swap with Syd - did that damage the parasite and is that a possible way to get it out of Davids head ?

The problem with things is its *all* unreliable memories because the parasite can use Davids powers to change others memories, so you cant trust anyone's recollection (Lenny was male at some points / female at others and the Parasite was their childhood dog that then did not exist)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:55 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
AFAIK Lenny was the girl in the hospital, who was a friend of David. The bloke in his past with the similar name was just another rando, whom the parasite blended into the girl to make it seem like they were friends and went way back. Girl Lenny was real and Syd did kill her by accident when in David's body. The Shadow King then used those memories as a way to talk to David more explicitly, as he was getting too scared and unpredictable when confronted with the yellow-eyed demon form. So said King needed a new way to influence David, and Lenny happened to be a recent memory.

As for Jermaine (I can't remember his character's name), he must be well dodgy now. He's magically back? Very suspicious. David could feasibly do it, but hmmmmmm. Lots to do with that Sanctuary seem unsettling and slightly off. Not least that everywhere they go seems to be sort of connected to the forest (which I hope doesn't mean all these locations are in David's head).

Only one episode to go though! God I hope they stick the landing.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Curiosity wrote:
AFAIK Lenny was the girl in the hospital, who was a friend of David. The bloke in his past with the similar name was just another rando, whom the parasite blended into the girl to make it seem like they were friends and went way back. Girl Lenny was real and Syd did kill her by accident when in David's body. The Shadow King then used those memories as a way to talk to David more explicitly, as he was getting too scared and unpredictable when confronted with the yellow-eyed demon form. So said King needed a new way to influence David, and Lenny happened to be a recent memory..

That's what I thought. It obviously needed more exposition for Bamba.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:56 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13094
Given how much of this is unknown that's a good hypothesis , but I'm not 100% convinced.

You have the 'old' druggy memory's with Lenny (F) , which then contradict with the explanation given by the ex-girlfriend (and the early doctor , or was that all fake since it was not really him but the other mutant?) of Lenny as a man.

How much of Davids memories are really and how much are replaced or have been re-written to fit a narrative are unclear , and even removing the parasite may never give you a clear answer one way or the other ?

My questions :
What actually happened in the kitchen flashback we've seen a few times with everything exploding around him ?
What happened to him as a kid with that creepy house ?
What happened to his parents (okay his adopted parents) ?
Is the Paper Maché head character just an early version of the parasite or is that something else ?
What is the 'X' symbol that the parasite is searching for in his and other peoples memories ?

I do hope for some resolution to the current arc but since they have confirmed a season 2 (http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/legion- ... 202009529/ ) I think there will be a lot of stuff they will just leave hanging.

After an odd first episode the 'middle' part of the show has been amazing and its one of the best TV shows I've seen in years , the last few eps have been a little disappointing in how things are being wrapped up (and a little bit of filler in places) but if you've not watched this you really should

** edit ** I should probably add i've not read anything online about this and have never read the comics its based on

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 13:59 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
I've just been reminded from reading some articles about all this that the male version from David's past is actually called Benny rather than Lenny according to the ex-girlfriend. Not that that changes anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:42 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
Yeah. To my mind he was just a nobody [EDIT - well, a friend but nobody THAT notable] that the parasite changed in David's memories to gain his trust.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 14:44 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
Also, from this week:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I loved the way the SK killed Creepy Art Garfunkel! That was well gross, though it does seem like a waste of a character that was never fully explored. Or is he really dead? Was that all in David's mind? *gasp*

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 22:40 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
Legion Season Finale:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was... good? Goodish? It didn't quite nail it, IMO, though the series as a whole is one of my favourite of recent years. Aubrey Plaza has been amazing throughout, and her bits with Dan Stevens have been the standout parts to me. She did some excellent eyeball acting this week.

The ending played out as I expected, but somehow with a little less drama than I had hoped. The scene with it being passed around was kinda cool though.

Anyway, cracking series. Will watch S2.

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 0:45 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13094
Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:


Post credits scene if you did not see it

And I pretty much agree with your comments

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:45 
User avatar
Sleepyhead

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 25955
Location: Kidbrooke
zaphod79 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:


Post credits scene if you did not see it

And I pretty much agree with your comments


Gah!

_________________
I've got a bad feeling about this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:23 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6988
This is me posting about how bad Iron Fist is during the final episode to break the monotony of watching Iron Fist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:27 
User avatar
Excellent Member

Joined: 25th Jul, 2010
Posts: 8784
Curiosity wrote:
Legion Season Finale:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
It was... good? Goodish? It didn't quite nail it, IMO, though the series as a whole is one of my favourite of recent years. Aubrey Plaza has been amazing throughout, and her bits with Dan Stevens have been the standout parts to me. She did some excellent eyeball acting this week.

The ending played out as I expected, but somehow with a little less drama than I had hoped. The scene with it being passed around was kinda cool though.

Anyway, cracking series. Will watch S2.


ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I agree with all of this. I was slightly disappointed with the last episode but I couldn't put my finger on why because there was nothing I could call out as being actually 'bad'. I did enjoy the interplay between David and the interrogator guy ("Now we'll have to work together." "*sigh* I know, I'll talk to them.") but was less impressed by all the stuff before that showing his recovery from the burning incident at the pool (yeah, yeah, he's a real human being with a life and loved ones, we get it; but fuck him, he was purposely doing a job that involved holding people against their will and lying to them so he can suck it up). Oh, and the bit at the start with David casually building a writhing pile of bodies while the interrogator realises quite how fucked he is was awesome.

Anyway, as a whole I've fucking loved it so am definitely looking forward to the second season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:59 
User avatar
SavyGamer

Joined: 29th Apr, 2008
Posts: 6988
Rick & Morty season three episode one is fucking astounding.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 13:31 
8-Bit Champion
User avatar
Two heads are better than one

Joined: 16th Apr, 2008
Posts: 13094
Preacher S2 teaser trailer


_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:33 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Watched the last episode of Black Sails last night. Really loved that show by the later seasons. I thought the ending was pretty great too, the ambiguity and the themes about storytelling were really nicely done.

Well worth a go if anyone is looking for something to watch that's not ultimately going to dwindle away into some nonsensical pish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: General Purpose US TV thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
I loved Black Sails - I still haven't got round to watching the last series - have been waiting until Ruth's done with whatever girly crap she's watching at the moment.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 6172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 180, 181, 182, 183, 184, 185, 186 ... 206  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Greys, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.