Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Megaman 9
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 14:55 

Dimrill wrote:
Walked from Paradise plaza to Al Fresco and died 3 times, unable to do fuck all if I missed the QTE as a zombie jumped on me, slowly being eaten to death over EIGHT health blobs.

Try not getting jumped on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:13 

Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited were the two main reasons I held on to my 360 like I did. I eventually managed to work around the TDU problem by getting the PC version (though it appears to be poopy-pants compared to the 360 original - maybe I just need to piss around with the settings a bit). Dead Rising on the other hand... well, eventually I just had to come to terms with the fact that I'd almost certainly have never played it again anyway.

I mean, everything about that game screams "Essential!!!" at you. It has hundreds of fucking zombies! In a shopping mall!! With endless inventive weapons to kill them with!!! But fuck me, the last time I ever wanted so badly to throw my console out the window was Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, when I was about 10 years old. It is just pure, pure hatred. I can't help but wonder if it isn't really a game at all, but intead some kind of psychological experiment, like what they do with monkeys where they have to press buttons and get fed if they press the right one and an electric shock if they press the wrong one. In other words, they loaded the game up to the gills with awesome, but then made the play mechanics so utterly fucking hateful it drives you mad. They wanted to test our perseverance, to see just how much punishment we can take without resorting to actual murder.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 16:16 
Hibernating Druid

ultrabrilliant wrote:
The next Dead Rising's set in an airport, I hear. I hope not, 'cause where's Frank (or whoever) gonna get weapons from?

From the soles of Middle Eastern peoples shoes.

And WH Smiths.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 17:58 

Zio wrote:
Dead Rising and Test Drive Unlimited were the two main reasons I held on to my 360 like I did. I eventually managed to work around the TDU problem by getting the PC version (though it appears to be poopy-pants compared to the 360 original - maybe I just need to piss around with the settings a bit). Dead Rising on the other hand... well, eventually I just had to come to terms with the fact that I'd almost certainly have never played it again anyway.

I mean, everything about that game screams "Essential!!!" at you. It has hundreds of fucking zombies! In a shopping mall!! With endless inventive weapons to kill them with!!! But fuck me, the last time I ever wanted so badly to throw my console out the window was Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, when I was about 10 years old. It is just pure, pure hatred. I can't help but wonder if it isn't really a game at all, but intead some kind of psychological experiment, like what they do with monkeys where they have to press buttons and get fed if they press the right one and an electric shock if they press the wrong one. In other words, they loaded the game up to the gills with awesome, but then made the play mechanics so utterly fucking hateful it drives you mad. They wanted to test our perseverance, to see just how much punishment we can take without resorting to actual murder.

That's why I lumped those 2 together.

Every single time I play Test Drive Unlimited I discover a new way it's shit.

But it's possibly my single favourite game ever.

Every single time I play Dead Rising it irritates the crap out of me and/or I feel the need to kill someone.

But it's just so brilliantly conceived.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 18:37 
Kvnt

The game isn't that hard, folks. It doesn't require hours and hours of practice to master the levels; I'm pretty good at beating the first 8 stages now, and I have less than two hours on the clock.

Those elephants in Concrete Man's stage are a piece of piss once you know what you're doing. Just stand on the middle platform for the last one, and jump as required. You won't need any boss weapons. Also, kill the things that spring up from pits before attempting to jump over them, hehe.

Stop talking about Dead Rising and get back to it. :'(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 16:05 
Honey Boo Boo

But if I kill the things that jump out of the pits first and then jump, I get nailed by a bird or a bird-dropped rock.

And if I wait to kill the bird again, by the time the bird is dead another pit thing has just appeared.

Honestly, the Rush Coil was the only way around it for me.

And again, I don't remember having to hold the button down quite so much to get a full-height jump out of Megaman.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 16:12 
Gogmagog

I haven't played dead rising for a while, I might give it a go later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 16:19 
Honey Boo Boo

According to my games list, Dead Rising is the game I haven't played in the longest.... which surprised me, as it meant I've played Undertow more recently!

I'm interested how much of the strategy for getting a super perfect save-everyone game of Dead Rising I remember. But not interested enough to find out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 21:15 
Kvnt

I still play the first six games fairly regularly, and can assure you that MM9's controls are exactly the same.

If you shoot the green poppy-uppy things and jump over the pits immediately, any birds that appear can be dispatched in mid-air. They really won't pose that much of a threat. :munkeh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:54 

MetalAngel wrote:
I'm interested how much of the strategy for getting a super perfect save-everyone game of Dead Rising I remember. But not interested enough to find out.

to be honest I dont think I'd fancy getting Leah, Burt, Aaron and Sophie (I think I've remembered that right) across the park again. That bit was such a chore!

i can definitely remember my route for the 7-Day survivor though. That was a long day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 14:47 
Honey Boo Boo

Dimmers: Getting through Al Fresca is tough... but given you almost certainly entered from the end with the big piazza, just grab one of the big parasols, or jump on the bicycle, and plow your way through. And the QTE (in which you have nearly two seconds to push ONE BUTTON) isn't hard at all, bless you.

bluce_ree: You forgot someone: the fat guy trapped in the stockroom in the shoe shop in the Entrance Plaza. The trick was to order them all to just run along the wall across the park, and then carry Leah as far as you could before running over to grab Sophie.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 15:47 
lazy eye patch

So erm, is Megaman 9 any good? I've not played any of the early ones at all, but have some points I wanna 'use up'. And like platformers. And hardness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 15:59 
Lurker

CUS wrote:
And like platformers. And hardness.

You'll love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 16:08 
Excellent Member

i like plataformers and hardness yet i never got into megaman.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 16:11 
Lurker

RuySan wrote:
i like plataformers and hardness yet i never got into megaman.

Try the Megaman 9 demo, it's acebestandthat.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 19:53 
Kvnt

Go for it, CUS. If you have a 360, you can always try before you buy. I totally recommend beating the demo of Concrete Man's stage on one life before you buy it. It'll give you an idea of how MM games are supposed to be played. :)

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2