Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: A classic Internet debate...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:39 
baron of techno

Lave wrote:
Quote:
If the wheel travels forwards 1m in 1 second, and the belt travels backwards 1m during this time, then the length of belt touched by the wheel is 2m.

Hmm, ok, I think I'm working out the difference between us. I proposing that a wheel of 1m circumference rotated once, then it would cover 1m of the surface it was rolling across if it did not slip across that surface. (perfect traction or whatever). In that situation the wheel and belt could reach a balance due to the plane taking off above them. And so the situation is unphysical and they would melt/not exist.

Can you stop proposing that then please, because it is even more nonsensical than the original question, has nothing to do with that, and is going to confuse people :)

In fact, would you mind getting a rollerskate or something, put some paint on one of the wheels and roll it forwards one meter on sheet of a newspaper, whilst pulling the newspaper backwards by one meter? Nothing will explode or melt, except for me if you keep on about this :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:40 
Isn't that lovely?

kalmar wrote:
Malc: The force propelling it forward is the engine. The only opposing force (over the normal case) is the very minor one I've mentioned, the increase in rolling resistance and bearing drag. It has to accelerate.

so you're saying that as the plane goes faster, the wheels do not (which is also what I think Lave is alluding to as well)? If that's the case then fine, the plane takes off. But is it the case? Why would the plane be travelling faster than the wheels? I presume they must be designed to hadle at least twice the normal speed of use...

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:43 
baron of techno

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Malc: The force propelling it forward is the engine. The only opposing force (over the normal case) is the very minor one I've mentioned, the increase in rolling resistance and bearing drag. It has to accelerate.

so you're saying that as the plane goes faster, the wheels do not (which is also what I think Lave is alluding to as well)?

Definitely, definitely, definitely not :)

Quote:
If that's the case then fine, the plane takes off. But is it the case? Why would the plane be travelling faster than the wheels?

It wouldn't. The wheels move at the same speed as the plane, they are kind of attached to it. However, they will rotate at twice the normal velocity for any given forward speed of the plane, if the "runway" is also moving backwards as described.

That's all there is to it.

(is this a wind-up or something? SUSPICIOUS FACE)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:47 
I forgot about this - how vain

kalmar wrote:
Lave wrote:
Quote:
If the wheel travels forwards 1m in 1 second, and the belt travels backwards 1m during this time, then the length of belt touched by the wheel is 2m.

Hmm, ok, I think I'm working out the difference between us. I proposing that a wheel of 1m circumference rotated once, then it would cover 1m of the surface it was rolling across if it did not slip across that surface. (perfect traction or whatever). In that situation the wheel and belt could reach a balance due to the plane taking off above them. And so the situation is unphysical and they would melt/not exist.

Can you stop proposing that then please, because it is even more nonsensical than the original question, has nothing to do with that, and is going to confuse people :)

In fact, would you mind getting a rollerskate or something, put some paint on one of the wheels and roll it forwards one meter on sheet of a newspaper, whilst pulling the newspaper backwards by one meter? Nothing will explode or melt, except for me if you keep on about this :)

Ah yes, but will the the ink particles be half as densely populated? Ey?

I'm just bringing it up because thats a typical assumption in Physics for the vast amount of theory questions we do. I suspect your from a different background and treating the wheel differently, I think thats interesting so I bugged you about it.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:49 
baron of techno

Lave wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Lave wrote:
Quote:

Ah yes, but will the the ink particles be half as densely populated? Ey?

I'm just bringing it up because thats a typical assumption in Physics for the vast amount of theory questions we do. I suspect your from a different background and treating the wheel differently, I think thats interesting so I bugged you about it.

MR ENGINEERING IS THE ONE TRUE WAY FACE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:50 
Legendary Boogeyman

As a break from the monotony:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:52 
Isn't that lovely?

kalmar wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
kalmar wrote:

so you're saying that as the plane goes faster, the wheels do not (which is also what I think Lave is alluding to as well)?

Quote:
If that's the case then fine, the plane takes off. But is it the case? Why would the plane be travelling faster than the wheels?

It wouldn't. The wheels move at the same speed as the plane, they are kind of attached to it. However, they will rotate at twice the normal velocity for any given forward speed of the plane, if the "runway" is also moving backwards as described.

No wind up.

So let me get this straight:

The plane and the wheels are travelling at the same speed from left to right?
The treadmill is travelling at the same speed but from right to left?

If that is the case, then I repeat my assertation, where is the net accelleration? where is the net force?

If that isn't the case what am I missing?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:53 
I forgot about this - how vain

MR PHYSICS MAKES ATOM BOMBS ENGERBORING MAKES SKODAS FACE.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:58 

kalmar wrote:
Lave wrote:
Quote:

You reckon this is all that is gonna confuse people within this thread :shock:

Have a fun weekend arguing guys, I'll laugh at this on Monday morning at work!

E at A Level Physics pupil, signing out!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 17:59 
baron of techno

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
kalmar wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
kalmar wrote:

Quote:

No wind up.

So let me get this straight:

The plane and the wheels are travelling at the same speed from left to right?
The treadmill is travelling at the same speed but from right to left?

The surface of the treadmill is travelling from right to left, but has no noticeable effect on the motion of the plane, which is still travelling from left to right at its normal speed.

If the plane moves forwards at 10mph, the treadmill moves backwards at 10mph. But the plane still moves forwards at 10mph.

Quote:
If that is the case, then I repeat my assertation, where is the net accelleration? where is the net force?

I repeat that the force propelling it from the left is the jet engine acting on the air behind it, as usual (simplified, but acceptable for this). And the treadmill acts on the plane only indirectly via the rolling resistance of the tyres and other minor effects.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:20 
Isn't that lovely?

OK, I think I've got this now. Or rather I thought I did, No I do, I think what I need is some actual numbers. What Force can a Jumbo's engines provide? What Force is the resistance of a wheel on a treadmill?

Malc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 18:33 
Rude Belittler

I can't believe so many people get this wrong. This topic was banned over at the Mythbusters forums, because people kept arguing that a plane on a treadmill can't take off. Despite actual evidence that it can. Because they did it.

You might as well say 'can a plane fly along a treadmill running in the opposite direction?'. The only force the wheels exert on the plane is the friction of their bearings. It doesn't matter how fast you run that treadmill, as long as the wheels can take the stress.

If the treadmill was directly working against the planes body, in some way, then it wouldn't be able to take off, but the wheels are basically bearings, designed to allow the plane and surfaces it interacts with to move freely against each other. If they didn't do that, and there was enough friction generated by their turning to significantly act against the thousands of pounds of thrust jet engines produce, then you wouldn't be able to land any planes. That friction would cause them to be ripped off as soon as they touch the runway.

Here's another example. Take a rear-wheel drive car. Put the front wheels on a treadmill, and spin them up to 200mph, in reverse. Get in car, put it in reverse, then press on the accelerator. What happens? You'll probably wreck the front tyres as you reverse them off the treadmill, and they hit the stationary floor at 200mph. (the car won't go off at 200 mph, because the front wheels aren't being driven)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:00 
baron of techno

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
OK, I think I've got this now. Or rather I thought I did, No I do, I think what I need is some actual numbers. What Force can a Jumbo's engines provide? What Force is the resistance of a wheel on a treadmill?

Malc

Here's what I wrote for the other thread:
me wrote:
Let's see, a 747's engines can produce about 100,000 pound-foot of force. That's about 500,000N. (round numbers here).

You can work out for yourself the rolling resistance, but you'll have to find the coefficient for the tyres used first.
Hint: it's bugger-all, relatively speaking.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:35 
Excellent Member

Heh. I done a poo.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:47 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

I just did a poo, too! It was a very days in the making MR SADE FACE But I did it! MR HAPPY FACE

myoptika wrote:
MrD wrote:
myoptika wrote:
What about if there was 1G of centrifugal force affecting the plane's wings in the bipolar direction? Then there'd be a case for it not being able to take off.

It would topple to the side.

DON'T BE AN IDIOT. There's no such thing as a centrifugal force.

WRONG!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifuga ... onceptions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 19:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I no longer want to be king of the subeds, on the basis that you are a bunch of

COMPLETE DULLARDS.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 20:07 
MR EXCELLENT FACE

Craster wrote:
I no longer want to be king of the subeds, on the basis that you are a bunch of

COMPLETE DULLARDS.

I'm desperately trying to find that quote that goes;
"Those who want power and the least desirable to use it" and also mentions the contra? Anyway, by following that premise I VOTE YOU, CRASTERZARD!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 22:29 
Sleepyhead

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:

Malc

Okay, so we've moved from an infinite force to a measurable one. PROGRESS!

To get an idea of the numbers involved, think of a pull-back-and-then-go toy car compared to a jet engine. That's about the forces involved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:04 
UltraMod

Pod wrote:
MR SADE FACE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:21 
baron of techno

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:10 
Legendary Boogeyman

My mate finally replied, and says:

Quote:
No it wouldn't. Two possible answers here one theoretical and one experimental.

Theoretical, what you said - no air flow.

Experimental, no one does it so therefore it doesn't work. Aircraft carriers would probably be a lot simpler if you could :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:41 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

He's missed what most of us were saying though, which is that the plane would ignore the conveyer and move forwards anyway, thus creating air flow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:07 
baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:
My mate finally replied, and says:

Quote:
No it wouldn't. Two possible answers here one theoretical and one experimental.

Theoretical, what you said - no air flow.

But there is airflow.

Quote:
Quote:
Experimental, no one does it so therefore it doesn't work.

But mythbusters tried it and it flew.

Bit of a waste of time that one, wunnit? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 13:42 
Legendary Boogeyman

Craster wrote:
He's missed what most of us were saying though, which is that the plane would ignore the conveyer and move forwards anyway, thus creating air flow.

Still disagree with this :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 14:03 
Rude Belittler

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Craster wrote:

Arggghhhh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S377HwOthjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ul_5DtMLhc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 14:06 
BETEO voice of unreason

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Craster wrote:

The wheels have no effect on the drive of the plane - the engines work directly on the body of the plane. It's not like a car, where the wheels are what causes the movement. For example, you can get water take off/landing planes that don't have any wheels, but two hulls. The wheels on a plane are there to reduce friction rather than increase it, to put it simply.

Townes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 22:27 
baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Craster wrote:

Well, give a reason then. Otherwise you're ignoring basic physics and shit, and physics does not like to be ignored...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:38 
Isn't that lovely?

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Craster wrote:

I think I've finally come round to the "yes it does" brigade.

Sorry CG

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hurrah! Is that everybody, then?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:22 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

*Yawn*

What did I miss?

What's that you say? An argument? On the internet?

Shocking!

*Goes back to sleep*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:46 
Thumbelina

I concur with Morte. However, instead of going back to sleep I will go back to watching Blakes 7.

p.s. The question was answered on the first page. All intermediate pages between that post and this entry are completely and utterly irrelevant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:39 
Legendary Boogeyman

After refering my physics mate to this thread, he then responded with this:

http://www.ooine.com/index.cfm/2006/2/5 ... onstructed

While now accepting that I am in fact wrong, and the plane will take off, I find it much easier to accept with the quality of this explanation :)

I think the stumbling block is not realising that the wheels are ultimately free-wheeling, rather than being the source of propulsion. So yes, the plane does move, and the speed of the wheels will increase, but because it's not connected to the source of propulsion it's seperate to the whole thing. Yes, we can close this thread now ;D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:41 
Hibernating Druid

Where do they bury the survivors though?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:45 
Thumbelina

Good grief. I too would reiterate what was already said on page one, but quite frankly this episode of Blakes 7 is far too riveting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:46 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I think the stumbling block is not realising that the wheels are ultimately free-wheeling, rather than being the source of propulsion. So yes, the plane does move, and the speed of the wheels will increase, but because it's not connected to the source of propulsion it's seperate to the whole thing. Yes, we can close this thread now ;D

We did tell you that though

;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:47 
Hibernating Druid

You don't bury survivors!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:00 
Thumbelina

Zardoz wrote:
You don't bury survivors!

Ah, crud. What am I going to do with this spade now?

Incidentally, this whole thread has inspired me to design the world's first wheel-propelled airplane.

Incidentally, Avon saved the day by outwitting the alien monster thing. As usual.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:02 
What-ho, chaps!

I'm not sure anyone survived this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:04 
baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I think the stumbling block is not realising that the wheels are ultimately free-wheeling, rather than being the source of propulsion. So yes, the plane does move, and the speed of the wheels will increase, but because it's not connected to the source of propulsion it's seperate to the whole thing.

Well, to coin a phrase, "Duh" :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:09 
Hibernating Druid

Why don't they make shorter airports then with 'tread-ways'?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:10 
Gogmagog

Because the 'plane still requires to get up to speed before taking off...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:11 
Isn't that lovely?

My problem was I couldn't see the difference between "the treadmill will match the speed of the plane" with "the treadmill will match the speed of the wheels"

If you were take the "speed of the wheel" to be the "speed of the center of a wheel relative to a stationary object not on the treadmill" then I would have been correct :)

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:12 
Isn't that lovely?

Zardoz wrote:

The treadway would have to be twice as long as a normal runway, if they were the other way round then it would help (but I imagine that would be very ineffecient)

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:16 
baron of techno

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The treadway would have to be twice as long as a normal runway

No it wouldn't.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:20 
What-ho, chaps!

Are you talking belt length or structure length? (The length of the belt would be at least twice the length of the structure, and the length of the structure in this case would be at least the length of a regular runway.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:21 
Isn't that lovely?

kalmar wrote:
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The treadway would have to be twice as long as a normal runway

No it wouldn't.

Well maybe not twice, but it will need to be longer, after all if the engines were not on, the plane would be being pushed back. (or the engines would have to work harder wither way it's not as practical as just having what we have at the moment)

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:22 
Isn't that lovely?

MrD wrote:
Are you talking belt length or structure length? (The length of the belt would be at least twice the length of the structure, and the length of the structure in this case would be at least the length of a regular runway.)

Structure length. the belt would be pusing the plane back some, so it will need to work harder or longer to get up to the same speed compared to a normal runway.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:22 
Hibernating Druid

Why don't plane wings flap? Then they wouldn't need treadways.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:24 
Isn't that lovely?

Zardoz wrote:
Why don't plane wings flap? Then they wouldn't need treadways.

Bird wings are light, plane wings are not.

it's also easier to push something in a straight line (like an engine does) compared to making something that flaps.

Malc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 13:26 
Hibernating Druid

Why don't they make light flappy aircraft wings? They'd save a fortune on tarmac and treadways.

Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next