Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Children
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:10 

The UK DOES have a growing population, by a full 350,000 people a year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

richardgaywood wrote:
Craster wrote:
Increased birthrates is so far from a sustainable solution to that problem that it's not funny.
My point is, the UK, in common with the US and most of continental Europe, does not have a growing population and hence is not going to suffer from any sort of overcrowding issue in the foreseeable future.

Except it already is. There isn't enough available social housing, there isn't enough private housing. School class sizes are way up on what they were 20 years ago.

We're not in danger of outgrowing our available land, but we have already outgrown our available infrastructure. Lots of this is down to investment in infrastructure not matching growth in population (which, accepted, is not just from childbirth), but we're certainly not in a situation where we are short of young people and therefore need to subsidise them.

Hence the earlier car analogy. We don't need your kids, people. If you can't afford one, don't get one.

Of course, the welfare state absolutely should kick in where unforseen circumstances lead to a child not being able to be supported by its parents - illness, divorce, loss of work etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:15 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:
That's why the retirement age isn't now compulsory though, yes?

Except that a lot of firms are forcing people to retire at 65, and the courts have not yet said that that is illegal.

Indeed the opposite, I thought? I thought the courts had recently upheld companies' rights to do this, specifically ruling that it's not age discrimination. Yay. Foresight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
I thought the courts had recently upheld companies' rights to do this, specifically ruling that it's not age discrimination. Yay. Foresight.

Wow. Not sure how they arrive at that conclusion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:18 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
I thought the courts had recently upheld companies' rights to do this, specifically ruling that it's not age discrimination. Yay. Foresight.

Wow. Not sure how they arrive at that conclusion.

God only knows. From the little I heard on the radio it was something to do with companies needing the right to plan their workforce arrangements or something. Bonkers stuff.

To google!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:19 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Bizarre. Surely if the only criteria you are using to decide who should be forced to retire is their age, it is pretty much by definition age discrimination.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Bizarre. Surely if the only criteria you are using to decide who should be forced to retire is their age, it is pretty much by definition age discrimination.

In which case setting *any* retirement age would be age discrimination, which clearly makes no sense either, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:

In which case setting *any* retirement age would be age discrimination, which clearly makes no sense either, though.

I thought you could claim it wasn't descriminating if you could clearly show that at that age rampant decrepitude made it impossible for them to do their job to an acceptable level, which is clearly nonsense at 65 for most non-manual jobs? The same legislation that lets Diamond sell cheaper insurance to women without falling foul of sex discrimination laws.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:27 
UltraMod

Setting it at 70 would be more sensible, these days. However, I somehow suspect a lot of us will be working until we drop. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:39 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
Setting it at 70 would be more sensible, these days. However, I somehow suspect that Grim...s butler will be working until he drops, as which point he'll get someone else in.

FTFY.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:43 
Not to be confused with elbow

It should be based upon what type of work you do and how long you've been doing it. Maybe a health test should be required when you go into a new job, then one when you get older to see if you have 'worn out' or something? Then they can decide whether you should retire

Just bouncing things around my brain today

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 14:57 

Mr Chris wrote:
The justification given in the EU recommendation on this the other day was that they do not want individual employers to be able to ask people to retire when the employer decides they are too old to fulfill their role. They feel allowing employers to make judgement calls on this could lead to huge legalised age discrimination, which would have to be fought on a case-by-case basis. Therefore they recommended a blanket retirement age as the lesser of two evils.

However, this is a recommendation from some sort of panel of experts, to be taking into consideration by judges who will make the decision sometime next year. So it's a report, not a ruling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 15:05 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
The justification given in the EU recommendation on this the other day was that they do not want individual employers to be able to ask people to retire when the employer decides they are too old to fulfill their role. They feel allowing employers to make judgement calls on this could lead to huge legalised age discrimination, which would have to be fought on a case-by-case basis. Therefore they recommended a blanket retirement age as the lesser of two evils.

However, this is a recommendation from some sort of panel of experts, to be taking into consideration by judges who will make the decision sometime next year. So it's a report, not a ruling.

Ah, that would have been in the first part of the radio story, that I didn't hear. The latter part which I did catch made it sound like a UK court ruling. Fucking Today, honestly. Cretins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 21:06 
Excellent Member

Doesn't everyone in the UK get child benefit? Chavs....

I had an unplanned pregnancy at 16. I was too young to know how hard it would be and I certainly couldn't afford it, I was still at school. Abortion was an option but I didn't want one, my rebellious teenage side decided I could raise a baby no matter what! It was way too hard and we did everything the wrong way round but we are now both qualified professionals and in a few years I anticipate Grim...esque levels of wealth!

I don't understand why anyone would want so many children, I think more than 2 is too many personally. I don't like seeing people with 4 or 5 children squeezed into a small council house with non working parents but that's just because I don't understand that mentality. Why would you be satisfied with that life? I think that is more tragic but you have to hope that the children in that situation would want to better themselves and escape it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 23:00 
Honey Boo Boo

It's a shame they didn't choose 'B' instead of 'J' for their kids' names... we'd have at least three Borts by now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:26 
Lurker

Mr Russ wrote:
Your only problem would then be who gets to be on the judging panel for who is allowed to have children.

:attitude:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:43 
Excellent Member. Haha! Member

MetalAngel wrote:
It's a shame they didn't choose 'B' instead of 'J' for their kids' names... we'd have at least three Borts by now.

This would be cruel. Those personalized license plates are in such short supply already :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:12 
Comfortably Dumb

MetalAngel wrote:

.. and if they'd chosen BJs they wouldn't have had so many damn kids.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:14 
Gogmagog

devilman wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

.. and if they'd chosen BJs they wouldn't have had so many damn kids.

That is one of my favorite insults:

"Why could you have just not been a blowjob?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:29 
Honey Boo Boo

Can I interest you in a free upgrade to the more vulgar version, 'You're the load your mom should have swallowed'?

Much more rude, doesn't work with Vista or PPC Macs, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 15:16 
Not to be confused with elbow

My favourite one is:

'You're a wanker, pity your father wasn't'

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3