Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
 Post subject: You Do Not Know of What You Speak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 17:51 
Excellent Member

I saw Russell Brand for the first time last night, on television.

I'd seen his face before, of course. On the cover of magazines, billboards, Jesus - even biographies. I was dimly aware of his status as a presenter/stand up comedian, celebrated by Heat magazine and its ilk. However, I had never actually read or heard a word uttered by the man himself, due to me not watching TV ever, and rarely listening to any station that would have him on their schedule.

So, after watching Twin Peaks with my housemate Rhys, we found a documentary about Kerouac.

"Hmm, Russell Brand. I don't know him, but he looks like the sort of person who'd annoy me," I warned.

"Yeah, he is quite irritating," said my worthy housemate. "But I'm quite into Kerouac," he added, "I wouldn't mind watching a bit of this." I bowed to his desire, as he really has a thing for beat poetry and jazz - and hey, I quite like Kerouac too.

Ten minutes later I was filled with Comical Gnomes levels of rage. I have never been so unfortunate before to have witnessed such an egotistical, witless cock. Painfully 'hip' every second of his babbling, slurring existence this complete arse-head started blathering on about his favourite writers, adding, "and somewhat unusually Alan Bennet..."

"What the fuck is so unusal about liking Alan Bennet? The man is agreeably vicious and subversive," I said. Rhys shrugged. I let this slide and continued to watch.

With this strange, nattering, nasal whine Brand started buddying up to some homeless people on an American beachfront street. He started blathering at them about Kerouac, and kept affectionately patting this intense old lady with staring eyes whose voice rose repeatedly into a fevervent address. Brand handed out copies of On The Road, and a bundle of dollar bills, got back into his car and then cried out, "Rosy! Stop being passionate all the time!" in a cheery manner.

"Hmm," thought me and Rhys. Brand may have thought he was doing good with the dollar thing, and it is his perogative, sure. But it's hardly a grand gesture giving twenty or so dollars each to a half-dozen homeless when your a TV presenter and evidently unaware of their problems. At this point, a white American male turned up and soberly and calmly informed Brand that they were crack addicts, and he shouldn't be given them money.

Whereupon Brand starts harranguing the man with this whiny speech, accusing him of being righteous and unfeeling. Ironically, those were the very words I was attributing in my head to Brand's tirade. Eventually the man walks off in bemused disgust at the incredibly shallow Brit, and Brand proceeds to spend the next ten minutes blathering on about the 'unfair, uptight, corporate white man hassling the poor' bullshit, whilst his fawning companion reels off a list of great feelings and deeds Brand does.

At this point Rhys has to turn over, as I stood up and shouting.

Damn - library closing, must sign off. But is anyone as incredibly annoyed by this person as I have managed to be in ten-to-twenty minutes of watching him?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Post subject: Re: You Do Not Know of What You Speak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:18 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

nervouspete wrote:
Russell Brand is an annoying cock

minimisation FTFY.

I couldn't agree more, if I had a swimming pool of agreement and was drowning in it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:21 
Ezekiel

I'm not really a fan, but he's targeted a very specific niche and mined it for all it's worth, so fair play to him for making himself a success in a tough area. He also used to be a heroin addict, so at least he's actually turned his life around and made a success of himself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:32 

People who watch television get what they deserve!

To the thoughts of the many from the minds of the few.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:40 

And people who constantly bang on about how they never watch television as though that fact alone makes them intellectually superior are fucking insufferable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 18:41 

"You don't have a TV? What does all your furniture point at?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:07 

markg wrote:
And people who constantly bang on about how they never watch television as though that fact alone makes them intellectually superior are fucking insufferable.

That annoys me also. I haven't watched any TV for three weeks now (because I am too lazy to put it on, actually) but other times I do watch TV and I always hear people banging on about how they never watch TV in a way that tries to make them seem intellectually superior. It really bugs me.

'Ooh, read a book, you might just find you have an imagination' someone said to me once. What? You don't think I can blinkin' read? That I have no imagination? I probably had twenty times the imagination that idiot had. I really don't think imagination is something that I am particularly short of. Also I read A LOT, but there's time for everything.

Someone once said to me that I must have a lot of 'free time' to find time to knit. Huh? No more free time than what other people spend playing video games/getting drunk. "Oh how nice it must be to have time to knit!" Of all the frivilous activities in the world, knitting accomplishes far less than drinking your weight in beer, or getting a few headshots in, of course.

Read a book - you might actually find you have an imagination in there somewhere!

Also - most people that say they never watch TV LIE. My uncle says it. he's always asking 'Did you see ______"

X-Factor? No, of course I didn't. Coronation Street? No!

Well, you may not watch much TV *coughbullsh*tcough* but at least what you do watch is indeed life enriching... If only I could be like you...

Sorry. Phew.

Ahhhhhh :munkeh:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:09 

That felt surprisingly good.

Yay! :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:46 
SavyGamer

There is a lot of good TV. Most of it is utterly terrible though.

I think I'm going to rewatch "The thick of it"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:48 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
Someone once said to me that I must have a lot of 'free time' to find time to knit. Huh? No more free time than what other people spend playing video games/getting drunk. "Oh how nice it must be to have time to knit!" Of all the frivilous activities in the world, knitting accomplishes far less than drinking your weight in beer, or getting a few headshots in, of course.

Let's not be hasty here! :DD you could have said, I don't know, charity work or helping starving kids or something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 19:49 

:D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:12 
Lord Of The Powerchord

nervouspete wrote:
But is anyone as incredibly annoyed by this person as I have managed to be in ten-to-twenty minutes of watching him?

Well I get mildly perturbed by how few, far-between and fleetingly available his podcasts are. Does that count?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:15 
Gogmagog

His stand up at the Amnesty Ball was good, I'll give him that, I'll find the clip in a moment.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 20:16 
Gogmagog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxP01GNXTik

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 21:04 
That Rev Chap

I think Brand is a funny man and the fact that he's nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is is a trait I find quite endearing. I just want to ruffle his hair and give him a rosy apple from my orchard, the little scamp.

The "not as clever as he thinks he is" thing went a bit far in that Kerouac programme. Cringe-worthy stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 21:11 
Excellent Member

Remember folks!

This

Attachment:
oldbrand.jpg

Plus

Attachment:
captain-jack-sparrow.jpg

Equals

Attachment:
newbrand.jpg

I'm amazed Depp hasn't sued for royalties.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 21:11 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:

Gagh. True. My bad. :'(

Does it still count if I have a large stack of frivolous DVD's such as Hercules in New York and Commando?

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 21:52 
Not to be confused with elbow

I used to like Russel Brand...now though *sigh* it seems like he's trying to hard for the laughs and I don't like that. I can't say I hate the man as he's made a career out of being barmy, but calculated barminess isn't as fun as off-the-hook random.

I know what I mean...

I haven't watched tv in ages! Nothing good seems to be on sadly and I have been preoccupied with reading my books (yep, geek here) the fantastic 'Night Watch' trilogy, which I have finished just now! They are brilliant books and I say everyone should go out and buy them

I am in no way getting paid for doing this...well...maybe just a little

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 21:56 
Paws for thought

Similary, I watch very little tv - if there was anything particulary good on, then I would, but it's not like I haven't got another 2000 things with which to spend my time which I'd prefer to do than watch the crap they put on now, which seems to have an extraordinary amount of programs that require you to phone in to vote.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 22:15 
Best
Board Mother

Spookily I cancelled all my TV channels today as I simply don't watch them. Doesn't mean I don't watch TV, just that I do it rarely, I'd rather put a game or a DVD on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 23:11 
Space detective

MaliA wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxP01GNXTik

Y'know, when I saw a YouTube link, I'd hoped it was going to be his piece about The Sun. And it was. So: yay. Brand's stand-up (which is after all, his 'day job') is by far his best output. In fact, one of his live gigs was on last Friday night on Channel Four, but it's a bit late to recommend that now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 0:22 
Awesome
Yes

I watch no TV in my room at all. I'd rather put on DVD or go on the internet.

Saturday nights however, I will quite happily veg out after tea and watch all that vacuous crap like Strictly Come Dancing, the Lottery show, X Factor etc.

Unfortunately I couldn't see anyting this Saturday as I was at a pub quiz hosted by Warwick Davis, off of 'being quite short' fame.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:40 
That Rev Chap

The reason I couldn't play Defcon until ten last night was that America's Next Top Model was on from nine to ten. I thought I'd hate it, but the wife watched it when I was in the room, which led to me watching it, which led to it becoming one of my favourite things on TV. Not only is Tyra Banks fucking awesome, not only are a lot of the contestants incredibly out of touch with reality, but sometimes it's just jaw-droppingly crass and tasteless. Last night's challenge was for the models to pose with homeless people and the sheer reality disfunction of the whole thing amazed me. Awesome fucking television. I mean, it's not the fucking Wire (Lord, I miss that show!), but it's fucking good TV. (When it's not concentrating on the models screaming and arguing. That's dull stuff.) And what's with Jay Manuel's coats this season? He looks like a Nazi transvestite.

(Aside: Britain's Next Tope Model is simply embarrassing. It features even less actual modelling, instead presenting itself as a no-budget Big Brother crossed with the Generation Game, or something. It's one of the worst things I've ever seen on television - and, as you may have gathered - I watch a lot of crap on TV.)

Also, I love The X-Factor boot camp shows. I don't like it when people get sent home - unless they've been cocks - but I love seeing people being told that they're through. Seeing genuine, pure happiness on TV is rare and - regardless of whether happiness at being put through to the next round of a "reality" game show is "worthy" happiness - there's no doubt that the contestants in those moments are genuinely happy and seeing that warms my cold, dark heart. (Shame the audition shows have become more and more formulaic with each passing season. They really need to start mixing things up.)

And talking of "reality" TV, has anyone seen the US version of Wife Swap? The disclaimer at the start is brilliant - roughly: "Unlike British Wife Swap, some scenes in the following programme have been created for entertainment purposes" - meaning it's even more fake than usual. And I've only seen it twice, but it was exactly the same show both times - but with a different cast and slightly different script. The set up and the broad outlines of the two families were the same in both shows. Incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:10 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Did anyone see that "Hole in the Wall" show on BBC1 on Saturday?

The Beeb wrote:
Dale Winton hosts a series in which two teams of celebrities, captained by dancing star Anton Du Beke and cricket legend Darren Gough, must try to force themselves through various crazy-shaped holes in giant moving walls.

Clad head-to-toe in tight silver lycra, there's everything to play for, as failure results in a head-first plunge into a swimming pool. The wall shapes get harder and travel faster as the celebrities get wetter.

Sweet Jesus it was bad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:13 

I always assumed saturday night prime time tv was punishment for people that didn't go out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Having a media centre has made TV watchable again - I queue up everything I actually want to watch, and then watch it from the recording. I haven't watched 'live' TV in years

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:22 

I watched TV last night just because of this topic. I watched it via iPleyer and watched and enjoyed Mock the Week (though was a bits and Bobs show), Have I Got (old) News for You, University Challenge and Merlin.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:22 
Hibernating Druid

Sky + is winnah.

Except when Mrs Z uses it.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:23 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The wife does manage to completely break everything whenever she tries to record something, indeed. I often get home to find we have seventeen recordings of the same episode of CSI.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 
Not to be confused with elbow

That's one thing I miss watching, CSI. My digi channels are buggered so I can't watch most of them :( but I do have a couple of boxsets and I know I'll probably be getting some over christmas so I need not worry :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:34 

Squirt wrote:
Did anyone see that "Hole in the Wall" show on BBC1 on Saturday?

The Beeb wrote:
Dale Winton hosts a series in which two teams of celebrities, captained by dancing star Anton Du Beke and cricket legend Darren Gough, must try to force themselves through various crazy-shaped holes in giant moving walls.

Clad head-to-toe in tight silver lycra, there's everything to play for, as failure results in a head-first plunge into a swimming pool. The wall shapes get harder and travel faster as the celebrities get wetter.

Sweet Jesus it was bad.

It's a remake of a Japanese show, unsurprisingly.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]