Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: Customer Service
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:47 
:insincere:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 
Sitting balls-back folder

MrD wrote:
I looked around all of Merseyside trying to find jeans that fit (and don't look like they've been cut to bits Thank You Very Please)

Slater's? That's where I got my last jeans from (I'll see your 'not cut to bits' and raise you 'don't look like they've been washed 4000 times and stained with cowshit, or come with a ridiculous belt'), plain dark blue Wranglers for £20. They're down one of the side streets off the high street on the same side as John Lewis.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:34 
Excellent Member

nynfortoo wrote:
devilman wrote:
and they make it difficult to buy something that doesn't have some stupid graphic on it.

I feel your pain on this one. Clothes designers seem to be obsessed with putting designs on clothes that, at best, look like they've been thought up and applied generically using an 'art'-gun (similar to Homer's makeup gun) or, at worst, look like the result of an ejaculation.

Ah, I see where you are going wrong. You are assuming that your clothes are there to feel comfortable on you and keep you warm and all that kind of thing.

What they are actually for is to let idiots pay stupid money for the privilege of being a mobile advertising hoarding. I can't think of anything dumber than advertising a company and paying for the privilege.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:36 
Excellent Member

mrak wrote:
because he used to work in a camera shop (you just know he's snobby about photography and lenses and stuff)

Oooh... when I rule the world, "camera snobs" are going to, well, not be first against the wall, but certainly in the top ten.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:02 
Son of a Reaperman

Plissken wrote:
What they are actually for is to let idiots pay stupid money for the privilege of being a mobile advertising hoarding. I can't think of anything dumber than advertising a company and paying for the privilege.

At the other end of the spectrum you have idiots like me, who pay £30 over the odds for a pair of Fred Perry plimsolls with the most discreet logo you can find so that nobody will ever know they're Fred Perry. But I know that they are, and that's all that matters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:08 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Did any one read about Topman stealing a design from someone and putting it on one of their t-shirts without knowing what it was? Printed off a load and put them in the shops, only to find that they had stolen a picture from a study of Russian prison tattoos, and they had inadvertently splurged some facist slogan about purging Russia of the mongrel races on their clothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:12 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
Ah, I see where you are going wrong. You are assuming that your clothes are there to feel comfortable on you and keep you warm and all that kind of thing.

Without wishing to further derail the Customer Service thread, ONE purpose of clothing is to feel comfortable, and another is to keep you warm. However, lots of people wear them to make themsevles feel good, look good, create an image and so on and so forth. Saying that they're just to stop us being naked and cold is much along the same lines as saying that all food does is provide us with energy, so why don't we all buy the cheapest and most nutritional foodstuff and forget about things like flavour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:12 

mrak wrote:
Worst experience with HMV: Merry Hill in 2002, taking advantage of a 3-for-£15 offer to get some old Morrissey albums and the eerily chipper cunt behind the counter is making comments on everyone's purchases. "Some cheery listening you've got there!!", he says. Ngh. If I was Richard Herrin, I could do a whole one-man show about HMV.

A few years ago I was Christmas shopping in HMV and as my sister (who somehow decided to have a second childhood in her late 20s) was a big fan of Steps, I thought a calendar featuring their likenesses for each month would go down well. It wasn't until I got to the front of the queue with this that I realised the guy serving was a barman from my local, who cheerfully asked if I wanted a pint of Guinness to go with it. The desperate-sounding "it's a present for my sister" was out of my mouth before I had time to think.

To his credit, he never spoke of this incident again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:26 
lazy eye patch

Squirt wrote:
Did any one read about Topman stealing a design from someone and putting it on one of their t-shirts without knowing what it was? Printed off a load and put them in the shops, only to find that they had stolen a picture from a study of Russian prison tattoos, and they had inadvertently splurged some facist slogan about purging Russia of the mongrel races on their clothing.

That has filled me with absolute joy, I dearly hope that it is true.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 0:37 
Time Out for Fun

devilman wrote:
sinister agent wrote:
See also: clothes and/or shoe shops. I'd enjoy clothes shopping if it weren't for the music and high proportion of drooling morons working in the shops. With women, anyway - men's clothes are just too bloody vile to be pleasant to be around for long. Just try getting a plain blue shirt that isn't in fucking pastels. TRY IT.

Or trousers that actually fit. Grumble. Although at least men's clothes are sensibly labelled - the sizing for women's stuff is totally fucking stupid and useless.

My main gripe is finding plain black t-shirt. In town there's a Burton and a Next (about the only men's clothing shops that aren't 'designer' i.e. extortionate) and they make it difficult to buy something that doesn't have some stupid graphic on it.

Still, at least Primark have simple stuff for simple people like me. Cheap too.

yeah burtons are the main culprits, theres been many times Ive had a wander about the shop, think I see something quite nice and then realise theres some paint dribbled fucking print in pink which is the absolute last colour that would go with whatever colour thing you are looking at. Is there not and H and M near you? 3 quid for plain tshirts, 10 quid for shitty prints, I know whos the winner there.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:04 
Kindly deeds done for free

CUS wrote:
Squirt wrote:

That has filled me with absolute joy, I dearly hope that it is true.

It absolutely is, I remember reading about it at the time. Hang on a sec...

Here you go!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2007 ... il.fashion

Quote:
When Bristol university student Paddy Shuttleworth spotted an unassuming grey cotton T-shirt in his local Burton menswear shop, he was, to say the least, surprised; not by the price (a modest £12) but by the Cyrillic writing surrounding the doubleheaded eagle motif which, as a Russian language student, he was able to translate. Rather unfortunately, it read: "We will cleanse Russia of non-Russians!"

"I did mention to the girl as I bought one of the shirts, that it was politically probably quite dangerous," says Mr Shuttleworth. The shirt's overall design is an odd jumble of ersatz French logo and Russian iconography, but there is no mistaking the nature of the sentiment, which uses the old word for Russia, "Rus" as a way of distinguishing between ethnic Russians and those with Russian citizenship. "I've spoken to a Russian friend," says Mr Shuttleworth, "and she said you would be arrested if you wore it in Russia."

Also: Threadless are aces for t-shirts.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:54 
Sitting balls-back folder

The problem with Primark, TkMaxx and H&M is that their stuff is shit; I like things to last more than 3 or 4 washes - or in the case of some jogging bottoms (strictly for lazing around the flat in comfort, you understand) one. Just because it's cheap shit doesn't make it okay to buy replacement clothes once a month.

Thankfully, CostCo's plain white tees are fantastically hard wearing (nearly a year out of this pack so far with them being washed at least once a week) and 6 for a tenner. Reassuringly heavy, ringspun cotton.

Made in a Chinese sweatshop, naturally.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:04 
Best
Board Mother

What are you washing them in? Bleach?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Craster wrote:
I also have major trouser issues. I have [...] an arse that demands a 40".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:17 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ouch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 17:47 
Honey Boo Boo

I demand a shirt that says 'In Soviet Russia, Pussy Licks You!', in Russian.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 17:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Top office foreigner 'Little Elina' tells me "В советской России, кот лижет вас" is what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 18:39 
Best
Board Mother

I'll bet Mimi has some fabric pens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 19:51 

BikNorton wrote:
The problem with Primark, TkMaxx and H&M is that their stuff is shit; I like things to last more than 3 or 4 washes - or in the case of some jogging bottoms (strictly for lazing around the flat in comfort, you understand) one. Just because it's cheap shit doesn't make it okay to buy replacement clothes once a month.
I agree that H&M's clothes are shit - I have a jumper (sweater?) off them a couple of years ago that became incredibly tatty after three washes at 30 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 20:33 

Pod wrote:
Why would you have a Burger at a restaurant?

Because nice burgers are nice? The existence of cheap ones doesn't change that.

You wouldn't never have a steak at a restaurant because Bird's Eye frozen beef slices exist...

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]