Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anger
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:44 
INFINITE POWAH

Dudley wrote:
Bik has a point though, the problem doesn't happen with these people, it happens a mile further back where the compression causes a rear ender.

But what causes the rear ender is somone driving too close to the person in front.

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 3
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
And "Deliberately causing an accident?" Where? I'm not touching them at all.

"Almost" is an important word.

But slinging your car across the nose of idiots who don't know how to use a motorway should be in the driving test. According to the reversing radar on my father's Toureg, I got within five inches once. Win.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 
INFINITE POWAH

Dudley wrote:
Where was I making a fuss?

Any time we talk about middle lanes... :)

Quote:
And "Deliberately causing an accident?" Where? I'm not touching them at all. Just swapping back across 2 lanes while I'm still very clearly in sight.

Sorry, a car "changing lane slightly earlier than is strictly required [in order to shake them out of their torpor]" sounded like you were changing back in front of them a tad closer than was necessary, which may conceivably lead them to jump on their brakes and have an accident, no?

If someone did that to you I suspect you'd be the first to complain about their dangerous driving.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 

You try leaving a gap large enough on the motorway that can see you stop to 0 before you hit them if they stop dead.

See how long that lasts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:47 
Legendary Boogeyman

I drove up and down the motorway this week. It was fine, hardly got miffed at all. The only thing that pisses me off is when someone shoots up behind you at 120mph and flashes you before you've even had a chance to react and move over. It's that kind of thing that makes me want to slam on my breaks. If you're going to drive like an erratic dick, at least give people the chance to react.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:48 

Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
And "Deliberately causing an accident?" Where? I'm not touching them at all.

"Almost" is an important word.

So it is, which I missed, apologies.

Quote:
If someone did that to you I suspect you'd be the first to complain about their dangerous driving.

Indeed, except that it wouldn't happen because I wouldn't be driving 10 mph under the limit in the middle lane of an empty motorway.

INFINITE POWAH

Dudley wrote:
You try leaving a gap large enough on the motorway that can see you stop to 0 before you hit them if they stop dead.

See how long that lasts.

That generally seems to work fine for me. Even if it didn't, the accident would still ultimately caused by cunts driving too close to the car in front (or the car behind, if you like).

Legendary Boogeyman

Can you two keep your driving rants confined to one thread? Sheesh.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 
That Rev Chap

Dudley wrote:

See how long that lasts.

It pisses me off when I leave a decent gap between the car in front and me and then someone decides to change lanes into it.

Grrr.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Dudley wrote:
Indeed, except that it wouldn't happen because I wouldn't be driving 10 mph under the limit in the middle lane of an empty motorway.

Yes, and of the two, your behaviour is demonstrably the more dangerous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 
Honey Boo Boo

The other weekend I found myself stuck in a cluster of trucks on a dual carriageway... a huge articulate dump truck had decided he could overtake two other trucks, and proceeded to do so (with the usual 0.5mph speed advantage over them). I was in a line of cars following this tosser... but the funny thing was the executive behind me in a BMW who was going absolutely mental!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Com wrote:
I drove up and down the motorway this week. It was fine, hardly got miffed at all. The only thing that pisses me off is when someone shoots up behind you at 120mph and flashes you before you've even had a chance to react and move over. It's that kind of thing that makes me want to slam on my breaks. If you're going to drive like an erratic dick, at least give people the chance to react.

How bendy was this motorway that it took you longer to notice the guy approaching behind you that it did to move over?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 
Not to be confused with elbow

The last time I got angry, and I mean really angry so that I was nearly steaming was when my sister, Rae was being bullied at her school.

I live up here and I don't see her much (which is a blessing) but she rang me in tears because there was this one girl that said she was going to stab her because Rae was dating the lad that she fancied. Rae said she was too scared to go to school and didn't want to say anything as this girl had quite a few friends that were going to help her out. Rae is a very pretty girl and this other was a short, fat girl with awful teeth and glasses, so obviously she was jealous of Rae. I got Rae to speak with the teachers about it all and they said that they could tell the girl off basically, but until she brought a knife or something they couldn't act. Fucking idiots.

So I went down a week just before the summer holidays and I walked down with Rae to the school bus, but kept at a distance so noone knew I was 'with' her. The girl was stood at the bus stop with 2 friends who looked rough as hell. Rae looked at me once and my heart nearly broke, I didn't want her anywhere near them, but I had to wait and see what they did so I could act accordingly to the situation. Rae went over and stood about 5 feet away from them and waited for the bus, saying nothing, not looking at the or anything. One of the girls came over to her and shoved her and the fat girl was egging her on to punch her.

I don't fucking think so love.

I raced over and the girl backed off, 'If I even catch you looking at my little sister again you bitch I will break your fucking neck, you got me? And if I hear anymore about this knife business I'll show you how to use one properly. I don't want to see you near her again.'

I was pretty scary actually, even Rae shrunk back at my face. I was all teeth and eyes apparently 0_o;

If there wasn't a lot of people round I would have torn her throat out. While me and my sister don't get on at all, I won't have anyone do anything to her, my close family is very important to me.

That day the 2 girls were suspended from school because they had pen knives on them, it was lucky really that I decided to go down otherwise one could have been stuck in my little sister.

Knives in schools, I can't believe it's got this bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:51 

Mr Chris wrote:
Dudley wrote:

See how long that lasts.

That generally seems to work fine for me. Even if it didn't, the accident would still ultimately caused by cunts driving too close to the car in front (or the car behind, if you like).

You drive 100m (or more accurately 315ft) behind cars at all times on the motorway and no-one ever changes lane to fill that gap?

I really must drive the candy motorway in rainbow land more often.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Com wrote:

How bendy was this motorway that it took you longer to notice the guy approaching behind you that it did to move over?

It may have been the horizon.... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:
Dudley wrote:

But far funnier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Dudley wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Dudley wrote:

See how long that lasts.

You drive 100m (or more accurately 315ft) behind cars at all times on the motorway and no-one ever changes lane to fill that gap?

Sometimes they do, and when they do I drift back a bit further to open the gap up again. Simple.

Perhaps not living in the City O' Cunts helps... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Dudley wrote:

But far funnier.

Funny and dangerous are usually directly proportional, indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Are you sure you know how far 100m is, Sir Chris?
And does anyone mind if I merge the current driving argument in B&B with this topic?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
Com wrote:

When someone is going that stupidly fast, they can very easily come out of virtually nowhere. Also consider the fact I might be busy overtaking in the outside lane myself, at a reasonable speed, and so can't suddenly crash into the middle lane at will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

Grim... wrote:
And does anyone mind if I merge the current driving argument in B&B with this topic?

I think it all needs merging into the bloody 'Dangerous driving' topic of weeks back when all this shit was discussed then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:56 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I'm just thinking that you are utterly wrong, but then I figured that people may not come up behind me quite so quickly because I'm normally the one doing 120mph.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:58 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:

Fairly sure, yes. It's quite a ways. It's far further than the apparently standard-issue 10m which seems so popular among drivers of today.

We also have handy chevrons on the M4 and M5 near us which apparently you need two of between you and the car in front. *to make a hollow laughing*

Quote:

Fine with me!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:
We also have handy chevrons on tge M4 and M5 near us which apparently you need two of between you and the car in front.

Ah now, with them, is it two chevrons, or having two chevrons visible at all times?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

ComicalGnomes, years ago wrote:
How are you supposed to not be angry?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:03 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

You've used this forum before, right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 

Grim... wrote:

Indeed, it's a very very long way. On the mentioned M4 segment it's actually 2.5 Chevrons.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
We also have handy chevrons on tge M4 and M5 near us which apparently you need two of between you and the car in front.

Ah now, with them, is it two chevrons, or having two chevrons visible at all times?

I assumed the later, otherwise it's not a very long way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's worth bearing in mind that you don't actually need 100m to stop unless a tree suddenly grows in the middle of the motorway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
It's worth bearing in mind that you don't actually need 100m to stop unless a tree suddenly grows in the middle of the motorway.

Hey, it happens.

You need a bit less than 100m if there's an acccident, of course, as the accident will travel a ways as well, but still - I think you need more than 10m.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 

I thought 2 seconds was about the gap you were meant to to leave rather than some set distance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:13 

markg wrote:
I thought 2 seconds was about the gap you were meant to to leave rather than some set distance.

That's a "lie to children" as Terry Prachett put it.

2 seconds is absurdly generous at 30mph, not enough at 70 and something of a joke above that.

At 70, 2 seconds will leave you about 20m short of being able to stop if they stop dead for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

And now, of course, with modern cars that can actually stop (official braking distances are still based on a Ford Anglia, fact fans), it's only our feeble human minds letting us down.

Apparently, stamping on the brakes in one of the new Merc's coming out can actually cause you more harm than a 20mph crash into a wall does :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:17 

Grim... wrote:
And now, of course, with modern cars that can actually stop (official braking distances are still based on a Ford Anglia, fact fans), it's only our feeble human minds letting us down.

Accepted.

Although the "official" distances do also assume perfect conditions and someone actually paying attention, both of which are a premium on the M4.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:19 
baron of techno

Grim... wrote:

Well, it depends how fast you're going, and whether you're actually paying attention or not.

Remember the 2 second rule?

At 60mph, this is 27 meters: not very much! 8)

The highway code sez (for 60mph):
Thinking distance: 18m Braking distance: 55m Overall: 73m

And at 70mph, it's 96m overall. Although as you pointed out, the traffic in front of you will also take some distance to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 

Dudley wrote:

Clearly I need to read more twee comedy fantasy books.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Dudley wrote:

I think it wasn't actually Pratchett himself who came up with that, it was Jack Horner and that other bloke who got roped in as the scientists to write the "Science of Discworld" books. I may be bothered to check later.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

kalmar wrote:

"Only a fool believes the two second rule".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
kalmar wrote:

"Only a fool believes the two second rule".

I thought that was to do with the withdrawal method.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:29 

markg wrote:
Dudley wrote:

The Science of the Discworld (which is what that comes from) is anything but a twee comedy fantasy book.

Quote:
I think it wasn't actually Pratchett himself who came up with that, it was Jack Horner and that other bloke who got roped in as the scientists to write the "Science of Discworld" books. I may be bothered to check later.

It was indeed from said book but it's difficult to know who actually wrote any specific bit.

Quote:

Your maths is wrong. It's 27m/second not 2 seconds. 54m in 2 seconds.

Which tells you how wrong the 2 second rule is at measurable speeds. At 70 it says ~63m compared to the 100m overall stopping distance in reality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:30 
Soopah red DS

I did breach the 2 second rule egregiously this morning, though, because the stupid stupid idiot in front of me decided that holding up the traffic by rolling past the poor injured car on the other side of the road to have a good look was perfectly acceptable.

It didn't work, mind, she took her good sweet time, then accelerated (in a 30 zone) up to 45 afterwards, as if to make it all okay.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 
Sitting balls-back folder

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Com wrote:

When someone is going that stupidly fast, they can very easily come out of virtually nowhere. Also consider the fact I might be busy overtaking in the outside lane myself, at a reasonable speed, and so can't suddenly crash into the middle lane at will.

And also that you might be spending a lot more time looking at where you're going than where you've been, as most people would agree is probably reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:36 
Sitting balls-back folder

JBR wrote:
I did breach the 2 second rule egregiously this morning, though, because the stupid stupid idiot in front of me decided that holding up the traffic by rolling past the poor injured car on the other side of the road to have a good look was perfectly acceptable.
I saw the mythical* 'rubberneckers' rear-ender' the other month. I made a point of laughing extra-hard as I went past**.

Last night saw typical Liverpool traffic light behaviour; my lights have gone green, there's still a stream of cars coming from the side. A good for 4 or 5 that ran the red really badly, into the second-plus range.

The last was a fucking ambulance.

* Presumably actually very frequent, it's the only one I've seen though.
* Not true. I scowled and muttered "cunts" as I got on with the job of inconveniencing the people behind as little as possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Dudley wrote:
At 70 it says ~63m compared to the 100m overall stopping distance twenty years ago.

FTFY. I'd imagine that 63m is probably quite accurate now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:38 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
The last was a fucking ambulance.

I assume that it either didn't have it's lights on, or you fail at basic road knowledge :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 
Son of a Reaperman

I tend to mostly go into seething, silent rages where I just want to be completely alone because anything anyone says is suddenly the most annoying thing ever and is likely to send me into a proper, hurling things across the room hissy-fit. It's funny, because my Dad used to do exactly the same thing when he was in a bad mood. Come in from work, say nothing to anyone and just sit in the spare room (doing paperwork, was what mum used to tell me. Maybe he was pulling the legs off of insects, I don't know) all evening. It used to annoy me, because I thought he was angry with the rest of us, and we hadn't done anything wrong as far as I could see.
It's very rare for me to actually start shouting and hitting things, but when that does occur it's a marvellous release, but acutely embarrassing afterwards. I've broken my little finger twice from punching objects, both times when I've been steaming drunk. The second time I was too embarrassed to go to hospital so it just had to fix itself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:41 

Grim... wrote:
Dudley wrote:
At 70 it says ~63m compared to the 100m overall stopping distance twenty years ago.

FTFY. I'd imagine that 63m is probably quite accurate now.

It's also a hell of a lot ore than the average gap that people on motorways seem to leave.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:43 

With the chevrons, it's a touch over 1.5 chevs...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:45 
baron of techno

Dudley wrote:
Quote:

Your maths is wrong. It's 27m/second not 2 seconds. 54m in 2 seconds.

Ah, course it is! I thought that looked absurdly wrong :)

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next