Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Twat
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 
PC Gamer

Mr Chris wrote:
Sorry chap, you're going to have to explain why "cock", "prick" or "wanker" (all gender specific insults) don't belittle men but "cunt" belittles women.

Oh yes, won't somebody please think of the men?

If we lived in a world where the mack-daddy of all swearwords, the absolute worst thing you could call somebody, was a slang term for the penis then there'd be a conversation to be had here. We don't. So there isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:52 
Son of a Reaperman

MetalAngel wrote:
In school (in the class where we did all the horrific creative writing that I've mentioned in the past), the teacher let us use swearing in the stories. PROVIDED... that it was the characters swearing in the context of the story, and not used in verb form.

Was this one of those schools where the teacher is called 'Dave' and everyone is encouraged to express themselves a lot?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:54 

Mr Chris wrote:

Good christ - that's a bit extreme of them. I started doing it because one of my older sisters, an arty sort, was trying to teach me to draw better. Alternatively I may have been being abused by my dad, and not knew it. :rollseyes:

Quite. He was spoken to about this by his mum why asked him why he coloured the sky to the ground when all fo the other kids drew the sky in a line at the top. He mistook this for thinking that he had done something wrong, so for a time coloured the sky in a strip, like the other kids, until his mum saw him doing that and asked why he had changed. She said that no, it wasn't wrong, in fact it was right, she just wonderd why he did it, and he was very special and cever to notice such a thing.

The man can't draw for toffee now, so it wasn't indicative of a great career in art.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Rodafowa wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Sorry chap, you're going to have to explain why "cock", "prick" or "wanker" (all gender specific insults) don't belittle men but "cunt" belittles women.

A smart arse reply, but not one that actually answers the question. Unless you seriously think that all men (and women) who use the word "cunt" subconsciously hate women I'm not sure that you have a point.

I was getting at the fact that the insult being gender specific doesn't automatically make it belittle that gender, rather than "oh, poor men". So I was, out of genuine interest, after an explanation as to why you think it does in the case of "cunt" but not in the case of any other insult (including other female-related ones like "tit", "twat", "vadge-batter" etc)

Quote:
If we lived in a world where the mack-daddy of all swearwords, the absolute worst thing you could call somebody, was a slang term for the penis then there'd be a conversation to be had here. We don't. So there isn't.

Really?

In the council estates where a friend of mine lived back home, the one insult that showed you were being serious, and which could start a fight almost instantly, was "prick". You never used it even in jest.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:56 
Excellent Painter

The primary school I went to was in quite a deprived area of Cardiff. If you stopped the kids using piss, shit, cunt, fuck, bloody, twat, arse, wank etc, most of them wouldn't be able to communicate at all. Especially not with their parents.

I, however, was dragged up proper, like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:57 

I do think that there is some indiction of misogyny in the fact that if you really, really want to offend someone (usually a man, you don't often hear the word said to women, well I don't, anyway) you call them an offensive name for a vagina.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 

Rodafowa wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Horsehit. Calling someone a "fucking prick" is actually pretty much equally if not more offensive and aggressive than "fucking cunt" though. Try some experiments around town and I think you'll find I'm right on this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:02 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
I do think that there is some indiction of misogyny in the fact that if you really, really want to offend someone (usually a man, you don't often hear the word said to women, well I don't, anyway) you call them an offensive name for a vagina.

Perhaps, but the use of the word has become just as disassociated from its original meaning as 'twat' and 'gay' have, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:04 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Perhaps, but the use of the word has become just as disassociated from its original meaning as 'twat' and 'gay' have, in my opinion.

Yes, but you would say that, because you're a mysognistic homophobe. A lesbian is your worst nightmare. Oooh - Myp, Elen Degeneres and Rosie O Donnell on an island. How awesome would *that* be?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 

I use the word "cunt" more often in every day conversation than any other swear word. I don't know what this says about my personality, but nobody in my circle of friends finds it offensive. Unless they're hiding it from me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:06 
Not to be confused with elbow

My mum calls me a twat. I don't find this really offensive as it's said in a fun tone. 'My god your a twat sometimes' in an affectionate tone, rather than, 'You are a fucking twat!' So it depends how it's said.

I say cunt more aswell, if my mother ever heard me she would kick me in mine >.<

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mimi wrote:

Is it not just the case that women are more likely to be offended by words describing their genitals than men are, therefore the word automatically becomes more loaded?

myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I'm not sure gay has become entirely dissociated though. However I think the equivalent isn't cunt but bitch, as it's pretty much the same sort of pricks who use both.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:07 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Is it not just the case that women are more likely to be offended by words describing their genitals than men are,

That's a bit patronisingly sexist, mate. They're not all delicate little flowers, you know.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:08 

Women just like it a lot less because it has a harsh sound I think. If someone called me a 'cunt' I'd cringe a bit. Mum always said if she ever heard that word round her she'd knock the prat out!

Women just don't say it much in general. I know we never did

Excellent Painter

myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:

:this:

I actually think the vagina is, to quote David Bowie, a velvet goldmine. I cannot insult it anyway, so the word cunt though very derogatory means something else entirely to me and has no association with female genitalia.

For me the word is a set of characteristics someone displays to become "one", which usually involves being spectacularly self centred and malicious.

But then, where do you end with swear words. The use of the word fuck is even more divorced from it's original usage.

Honey Boo Boo

Tmuk wrote:
Was this one of those schools where the teacher is called 'Dave' and everyone is encouraged to express themselves a lot?

Sadly, no, it was an entire normal junior high. Our avuncular teacher alternated between being very cool (encouraging the creativity, keeping even the more unruly thugs interested during lessons, etc) and somewhat creepy (I don't think anyone in the class hadn't had him squeeze their shoulders or something by the end of the year).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:
That's a bit patronisingly sexist, mate. They're not all delicate little flowers, you know.

No, some of them are lesbians!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Is it not just the case that women are more likely to be offended by words describing their genitals than men are,

Indeed not, but women tend to be less crude than men.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:10 

Mr Chris wrote:
Yes, but you would say that, because you're a mysognistic homophobe. A lesbian is your worst nightmare. Oooh - Myp, Elen Degeneres and Rosie O Donnell on an island. How awesome would *that* be?

You are spilling into the realms of the stupid now, Mr Chris, but don't worry, I have your ankles and won't let you fall.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Have you ever been to Newcastle?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:12 

Or Plymouth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:12 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

You are spilling into the realms of the stupid now, Mr Chris, but don't worry, I have your ankles and won't let you fall.

WTF? How are you quoting a post that I can't even see??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:13 

Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

* pops paper bag behind mimi *

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:13 
Time Out for Fun

Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Have you ever been to Newcastle?

pffft sunderland more like.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:14 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Previous page myp. Unless I'm on your "foe" list, in which case you can't see me waving a little ascii willy at you:

...(.)..
..|..|.
..|..|.
..|..|.
(..).(..)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 
Son of a Reaperman

I love modifying 'cunt' by slipping an adjective in front. Is there anything as deliciously offensive as calling someone a 'fat cunt'? The sound alone is enough to make baby jesus cry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:19 
Excellent Member

If a 10 year old called you a "twat", what would you think?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:20 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Previous page myp. Unless I'm on your "foe" list, in which case you can't see me waving a little ascii willy at you:

You child. ;)

Sorry, I thought you were replying to my 'lesbian' comment. This thread is moving very quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:22 
Time Out for Fun

Tmuk wrote:
I love modifying 'cunt' by slipping an adjective in front. Is there anything as deliciously offensive as calling someone a 'fat cunt'? The sound alone is enough to make baby jesus cry.

cabin fever on holiday with my mates last year brought about the expressions 'shit cunt' and 'dick cunt', maily because the word cunt was losing any sort of meaning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 
INFINITE POWAH

Sir John Falstaff wrote:

Children swearing at all is bad, but children swearing *at* people is horrid, and rather sad. I would assume they had been raised poorly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 
Comfortably Dumb

Mr Chris wrote:
In the council estates where a friend of mine lived back home, the one insult that showed you were being serious, and which could start a fight almost instantly, was "prick". You never used it even in jest.

Odd that.. I know someone who'd react in much the same way to the word. No other word would offend him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:25 
Hibernating Druid

I'd hate to have been his dentist.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:27 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
Sir John Falstaff wrote:

Children swearing at all is bad, but children swearing *at* people is horrid, and rather sad. I would assume they had been raised poorly.

I tend to agree, so I think that removing the word from a book read by 10 year olds is perhaps not that bad an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 
UltraMod

Runcle wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

cabin fever on holiday with my mates last year brought about the expressions 'shit cunt' and 'dick cunt', maily because the word cunt was losing any sort of meaning.

And on the other side of the coin, after a friend's stag do, me and a mate who were sharing a hotel room ended up using the word 'tea' as an insult out of sheer boredom. We'd say that some people had had too many teas (ie fat); sportsmen who weren't doing very well were said to 'not had enough tea' because they had poor energy levels.

It was funnier at the time, promise. You can make anything into an insult if you really want to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:29 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

myoptika wrote:
It was funnier at the time, promise.

Riiiiight....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:29 

That's not funny at all, you flimwock.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:30 
Son of a Reaperman

I was once told to quieten down in the school library by a teacher, and as he walked away, I muttered 'twat' under my breath. Obviously not under my breath enough, because he span around and demanded to know what I'd just said. I'm still quite impressed by my quick thinking, I told him I'd said 'I don't belive that', but he didn't buy it and I got bollocked by him outside the library, during which I practically burst into tears. Curse him for making me look small in front of my mates >:(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:33 
UltraMod

Craster wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Riiiiight....

Exactly. Outside of the moment it just doesn't seem funny at all, but in our cabin fevery, hungover state it was so funny we were crying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 

I was at my father's girlfriends place the other night, had a BBQ, all the adults left to go indoors and I entertained the kids.
There was Georgia-11, Eddie-11, Georgina-12 and Jack who is 8. The kids are more 'loose' when there is just me with them as I am closer to their age than their parents (and in the way I act with them aswell, let kids be kids! No need for them to grow up too fast after all)

Eddie decides to try out the word, 'tits' as they call each other 'tit 1, tit 2, tit 3' and so on (I have no idea why, other than being able to use the word and form an excuse that it's a nickname, little rascals! Anyway-) I just look at him and say, 'Did you think that was cool? It's not really, it's a crap word and everyone uses it so it's not cool. Being different is cool and that's why I use different words to swear because only I know what they mean. For example I use 'Muffin-head' instead of a stupid swear word because it sounds funny' so the kids are enthralled about using new words instead of 'fucker' etc (which I have heard them say and I have reprimanded them accordingly) so now they are saying nice words instead :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 
UltraMod

Wait, you have baby goats? Georgia and Georgina???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 
Son of a Reaperman

myoptika wrote:
Craster wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Riiiiight....

Exactly. Outside of the moment it just doesn't seem funny at all, but in our cabin fevery, hungover state it was so funny we were crying.

A few of us tried to turn 'Git' into the new top offensive swear word. It morphed over time to describe both the male and female reproductive, er, part. So for example, you might yell 'Oi, get yer git out!' across the street, causing a Victorian Lady to feint.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 
Comfortably Dumb

MetalAngel wrote:
In school (in the class where we did all the horrific creative writing that I've mentioned in the past), the teacher let us use swearing in the stories. PROVIDED... that it was the characters swearing in the context of the story, and not used in verb form.

I don't remember there being much in the way of swearing at either primary or secondary school but my brother and I used to swear a fair bit at each other at home. With having deaf parents, we thought we'd get away with it - till one of the neighbours popped a letter through complaining about the noise and bad language. At that point, our parents went ballistic :)

These days, I rarely swear unless I'm quoting somebody. Although I'll occasionally mutter stuff under my breath when playing the likes of Geometry Wars (so close to beating Trouser's score on Pacifism last night... hnngh) but not in company.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:39 

myoptika wrote:

Haha!
Georgia and Jack are Jo's children, Georgina is Helen's child and Eddie is some other womans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:41 
Excellent Painter

Shin wrote:
myoptika wrote:

Haha!
Georgia and Jack are Jo's children, Georgina is Helen's child and Eddie is some other womans

Glad you cleared that up...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 

Leave me alone :p
I'm being sad and reading my book at the same time

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:59 
PC Gamer

Mr Chris wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

A smart arse reply, but not one that actually answers the question. Unless you seriously think that all men (and women) who use the word "cunt" subconsciously hate women I'm not sure that you have a point.

I was getting at the fact that the insult being gender specific doesn't automatically make it belittle that gender, rather than "oh, poor men". So I was, out of genuine interest, after an explanation as to why you think it does in the case of "cunt" but not in the case of any other insult (including other female-related ones like "tit", "twat", "vadge-batter" etc)

Fair enough.

I've got a problem with language that demeans any particular group. As mentioned upthread, that most definitely includes "twat", and since you're asking it would cover all the specifics you've thrown out above, amoung others.

Personally, it disturbs me that despite swearing like a fucking trooper I'd never dream of calling someone a nigger or a fag, but that until relatively recently I'd use cunt or twat and not think twice about it. At the end of the day, it's all language cut from the same cloth - to equate an oppressed group with badness, nastiness, vileness.

I have less of an issue with "cock", "prick" or other male-centric insults. This might be because I've got one, so I'm more comfortable throwing the words around. It might be because they're words almost exclusively directed at men, so they don't carry the same message of "you're as bad as a woman". It might be that "prick", your mate's specific experiences aside, just isn't as reviled and unpleasant a word as "cunt". It might be that since the world is largely run by men for the benefit of men, I don't feel I have to be as careful to avoid further alienating and oppressing other men. I don't really know. A little of everything, most likely. That's entirely a personal attitude, though, and your milage may vary.

No, I don't think everyone who uses the word "cunt" subconsciously hates women. I don't think most people who use the word subconsciously hate women. But for an awfully long time I let myself get away with some pretty dodgy attitudes and some very dodgy ways of expressing myself because I knew I wasn't sexist.

That's a trap that it's bloody easy to fall into - "I'm not a misogynist, so therefore if I'm doing something by definition it can't be misogynist and anyone who thinks it is is oversensitive / reading too much into it / looking for something to get upset about."

Thing is, you don't need to be a sexist Deep Down Inside to say and do stuff that's sexist. You don't need to have a subconscious hatred of women to help perpetuate the notion that their body is something filthy and hateful and that no-one would want to be associated with. Actions matter more than intentions.

I don't mean to come off as preachy or holier-than-thou. I'm by and large a pretty rubbish feminist. But hey - you asked.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 13:07 
Isn't that lovely?

markg wrote:
Well usually when I swear it isn't to offend someone it's just an exclamation. Anyway Stephen Fry is always right:

Can't listen at work, can I have a transcript please?

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 13:09 

Swearing a not isn't the sign of a diminished vocabulary, and swearing is enjoyable.

Stephen Fry enjoys swearing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 13:19 

Rodafowa wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Rodafowa wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Fair enough.

I've got a problem with language that demeans any particular group. As mentioned upthread, that most definitely includes "twat", and since you're asking it would cover all the specifics you've thrown out above, amoung others.

Personally, it disturbs me that despite swearing like a fucking trooper I'd never dream of calling someone a nigger or a fag, but that until relatively recently I'd use cunt or twat and not think twice about it. At the end of the day, it's all language cut from the same cloth - to equate an oppressed group with badness, nastiness, vileness.

I have less of an issue with "cock", "prick" or other male-centric insults. This might be because I've got one, so I'm more comfortable throwing the words around. It might be because they're words almost exclusively directed at men, so they don't carry the same message of "you're as bad as a woman". It might be that "prick", your mate's specific experiences aside, just isn't as reviled and unpleasant a word as "cunt". It might be that since the world is largely run by men for the benefit of men, I don't feel I have to be as careful to avoid further alienating and oppressing other men. I don't really know. A little of everything, most likely. That's entirely a personal attitude, though, and your milage may vary.

No, I don't think everyone who uses the word "cunt" subconsciously hates women. I don't think most people who use the word subconsciously hate women. But for an awfully long time I let myself get away with some pretty dodgy attitudes and some very dodgy ways of expressing myself because I knew I wasn't sexist.

That's a trap that it's bloody easy to fall into - "I'm not a misogynist, so therefore if I'm doing something by definition it can't be misogynist and anyone who thinks it is is oversensitive / reading too much into it / looking for something to get upset about."

Thing is, you don't need to be a sexist Deep Down Inside to say and do stuff that's sexist. You don't need to have a subconscious hatred of women to help perpetuate the notion that their body is something filthy and hateful and that no-one would want to be associated with. Actions matter more than intentions.

I don't mean to come off as preachy or holier-than-thou. I'm by and large a pretty rubbish feminist. But hey - you asked.

Well I just don't really think that cunt refers to women, it refers to vaginas, they are two separate things. Also I'm slightly confused about what your point is. You seem to be saying that it is revealing something about society that cunt is top of the list when it comes to swear words. So is it misogynistic to use the word cunt or to find it especially offensive, if it got demoted to be 'below' cock would that be better or worse?

Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next