Gogmagog

Kern wrote:
Or indeed Immanuel Kant?

There's no such word as....

Post subject: Re: Twat
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:34 
Isn't that lovely?

Nik wrote:
Slightly related question: how is "c*nt" any less offensive than "cunt"? The one single meaning of "c*nt" is literally "cunt". The one purpose of writing "c*nt" is to imply "cunt" - to make the reader think "cunt". Surely by putting "cunt" into the reader's mind (which must be the intention of the writer), it is just as offensive as writing "cunt"?

If, somehow, the reader fails to translate "c*nt" into "cunt", then hasn't "c*nt" failed in it's one role? (A role which is rather pointless, given the fact that "cunt" exists.)

I'd go so far as to say that if "c*nt" is supposed to be less offensive than "cunt", it can only achieve this in the mind of a reader who doesn't make the connection, and that as such a person would have to be incredibly ingorant or naive, the implication that the reader could possibly fall into this category is quite insulting (essentially the writer appears to be saying "I've used this naughty word, but 've fooled you into thinking I haven't!"), and therefore writing "c*nt" is considerably more offensive than writing "cunt".

Or am I just being a pric*?

It's to placate the people who think that the word itself is offensive, as apposed to the meaning.

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Plus it might help those who have their web surfing filtered if certain words are censored - although that shouldn't be a problem on this board and Grim's codehammering.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:03 
Son of a Reaperman

sinister agent wrote:
People who are offended can fuck off. If someone's not insulting or injuring you in some way, they're not bothering you. Get the hell over yourself. "Offended" is just a prissy word for "wanted to feel self-righteous for a bit". I'm sick of everyone bloody whinging about other people making a few simple sounds with their mouth in case those sounds summon a demon who'll immediately destroy all the dear, sweet little angelic children in the area.

This is basically what I've been trying to write for the past 7 pages, thank you Sinister Agent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 

Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Nik wrote:
Slightly related question: how is "c*nt" any less offensive than "cunt"? The one single meaning of "c*nt" is literally "cunt". The one purpose of writing "c*nt" is to imply "cunt" - to make the reader think "cunt". Surely by putting "cunt" into the reader's mind (which must be the intention of the writer), it is just as offensive as writing "cunt"?

If, somehow, the reader fails to translate "c*nt" into "cunt", then hasn't "c*nt" failed in it's one role? (A role which is rather pointless, given the fact that "cunt" exists.)

I'd go so far as to say that if "c*nt" is supposed to be less offensive than "cunt", it can only achieve this in the mind of a reader who doesn't make the connection, and that as such a person would have to be incredibly ingorant or naive, the implication that the reader could possibly fall into this category is quite insulting (essentially the writer appears to be saying "I've used this naughty word, but 've fooled you into thinking I haven't!"), and therefore writing "c*nt" is considerably more offensive than writing "cunt".

It's to placate the people who think that the word itself is offensive, as apposed to the meaning.

Malc

Yes, but "c*nt" doesn't just suggest the meaning of "cunt", it implies the word itself, which is why I can't see how it's less offensive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 
UltraMod

MaliA wrote:
Kern wrote:
Or indeed Immanuel Kant?

There's no such word as....

Yes there is - he died for your sins!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:29 
INFINITE POWAH

sinister agent wrote:
People who are offended can fuck off. If someone's not insulting or injuring you in some way, they're not bothering you. Get the hell over yourself. "Offended" is just a prissy word for "wanted to feel self-righteous for a bit". I'm sick of everyone bloody whinging about other people making a few simple sounds with their mouth in case those sounds summon a demon who'll immediately destroy all the dear, sweet little angelic children in the area.

True, but there is, of course, a difference between someone getting offended by hearing the use of a word somewhere in their vicinity, and someone getting offended by that word being directed at them. The latter being entirely reasonable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:30 
Isn't that lovely?

Nik wrote:
Yes, but "c*nt" doesn't just suggest the meaning of "cunt", it implies the word itself, which is why I can't see how it's less offensive.

because it's not those 4 letters. It's something else.

DO YOU NOT SEE?

Malc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:13 

Nik wrote:

I didn't do it to be any less offensive, it's just my choice.

If other people do not care who they swear at and whether anyone likes being on the receiving end of it then I am not of a mind to think that my choosing not to type it is sufficient to upset anyone.

or
Sinister Agent wrote:
People who are offended can fuck off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:23 

It's all about decorum. Someone's behaviour, including use of language, will be different in the changing room to their actions at their nonogenarian granny's birthday party. In turn, they will behave differently when greeting the Queen (the accepted protocol for which, I am relibably informed, is the moon). Knowing when, where, and how to say things is what matters.*

* Which is why I'm rubbish at weddings and funerals.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:33 
Lurker

Kern wrote:
* Which is why I'm rubbish at weddings and funerals.

I once drunkenly told someone to fuck off at a wedding. I think my gran heard. She was not amused. Ah, well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:35 

"Do you scarysheep take..."

"Ah fuck off ya cunt"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:32 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

sinister agent wrote:

What about if I was talking to a mate of mine, and I said "some silly nigger pulled out in front of me this morning" - do you think a passing black chap has no right to be offended?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:43 
Son of a Reaperman

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

What about if I was talking to a mate of mine, and I said "some silly nigger pulled out in front of me this morning" - do you think a passing black chap has no right to be offended?

He shouldn't really be ear-wigging of course.
EDIT: But to answer your question from my point of view, if I overheard a black person say 'I almost ran some stupid honkey over this morning', I wouldn't be offended, I'd just think he was a twat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:45 
I forgot about this - how vain

Tmuk wrote:
Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

If he lives near such open racists then yes he should.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:46 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Well of course. Unless I looked at him and started the sentence off with "Oh yeah; that reminds me..." :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 17:51 
Son of a Reaperman

Lave wrote:
Tmuk wrote:
Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Out of interest, why? So he can run off to the police and go 'Some mean man said a bad word?'. I should point out at this stage that I certainly don't condone racist language, we're only using this as an example, obv.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 18:14 
I forgot about this - how vain

Tmuk wrote:
Lave wrote:
Tmuk wrote:
Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Out of interest, why? So he can run off to the police and go 'Some mean man said a bad word?'. I should point out at this stage that I certainly don't condone racist language, we're only using this as an example, obv.

No. To keep clear of them. If I overheard my neighbour calling white people honkies then I would stear clear of them from that point on.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 20:30 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lave wrote:

Is an open racist one who's allowed to be prejudiced even in peak times?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 22:23 

Mimi wrote:
I didn't do it to be any less offensive, it's just my choice.

If other people do not care who they swear at and whether anyone likes being on the receiving end of it then I am not of a mind to think that my choosing not to type it is sufficient to upset anyone.

or
Sinister Agent wrote:
People who are offended can fuck off.

Fair enough. I wasn't having a pop at you, by the way (though reading it back, it could seem that way - sorry), just wondering about the point of the whole */u thing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 23:03 

Oh, i didn't think you were having a go at me Nik :) I could se you didn't understand, though, and maybe I do not, either, really, but it's just the way I feel more comfortable, so I don't think there really has to be a reason. i wouldn't use the 'c*nt' form in any other writing than if we were talking about the word itself. i wouldn't, for instance, write 'ah, he's a c*nt' in a letter to anyone, because I don't think that implying I think that of anyone and changing the spelling is any different from just coming out and saying it, but as we are actually discussing this particular word and I am referring to it it is a way of me pointing out which word I mean without actually using it.

Sorry, maybe I do not explain myself properly at the best of times, and tonight I feel super duper tired :( .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 0:41 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Firstly, 'nigger' and cunt aren't remotely comparable, as 'nigger' refers to a person and 'cunt' is just a generic swear word, and is another word for a vadge. If someone thinks that using the word cunt is somehow attacking women, they're implicitly trying to say that women are nothing but a vagina, and so doing far more to denigrate women than someone who just wanted to make a satisfying sound.

I realise you were making a different argument, but I've seen people use the 'nigger' thing as an analogy once or twice on here, and it simply doesn't hold up.

Secondly, I think you would search the world in vain for a passing black man who is so unable to accept the fact that some people are racist that they would get offended every time they happen to hear a racist term.

He'd be an idiot to be offended, just as I would if I got upset every time I heard a couple of australians slagging off "some pom", or a couple of Portuguese blokes badmouthing some gringo or other. Why shouldn't two people who presumably have no problem with the word use it in a private conversation? They're not attacking anyone on that occasion, and it's not like you're going to stop them from talking like that in private if they want to.

The most any sane man would do is frown, roll their eyes at what dicks some people are, and get on with his day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I like the sound of your world, and wish to move there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:35 

Grim... wrote:
I like the sound of your world, and wish to move there.
I agree.

The BNP were handing out leaflets outside my (Indian owned) local corner shop a few weeks ago. I hope we can all agree they are cunts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Dude, they're entitled to their point of view. It's culturalist imperialism of the worst sort to suggest that they're not entitled to their own beliefs and anyone who's offended by them can fuck off.

Oh, wait, the other one.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:39 

Mr Chris wrote:
Dude, they're entitled to their point of view. It's culturalist imperialism of the worst sort to suggest that they're not entitled to their own beliefs.
Oh, I know. That's why I asked for one of their leaflets, told them "everyone is entitled to free speech... here's mine", and tore it up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Dude, they're entitled to their point of view. It's culturalist imperialism of the worst sort to suggest that they're not entitled to their own beliefs.
Oh, I know. That's why I asked for one of their leaflets, told them "everyone is entitled to free speech... here's mine", and tore it up.

:) awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:42 

Mr Chris wrote:
I then blew the guy a kiss and walked off. On relating this story to MyFinger, he asked when I'd grown a pair of balls.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
I then blew the guy a kiss and walked off. On relating this story to MyFinger, he asked when I'd grown a pair of balls.

When your finger says this to you, you know things must have been pretty bad before. :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:53 
Son of a Reaperman

We used to have fun whenever the Christian nut-jobs put leaflets through our door. We'd pick them straight up and post them back through the lounge window (the leaflets that is).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:02 

Why were they nut jobs?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:07 
Son of a Reaperman

Because they were Christians, mainly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 
INFINITE POWAH

Mimi wrote:
Why were they nut jobs?

Anyone who wanders round door to door expecting to convert people on their doorstep is a bit mentally touched, like. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:13 

See - the thing is, Christians (and any other religious types) who come around and try to get you to convert are a pain in the backside, BUT they obviously think that what they believe is right, and they truly think that they are doing you a favour by trying to 'save' you and enrich your life. They are trying in their own way to do their best for their fellow man. I think this is quite different from the people that preach hatred on the streets.

The people who come around and say 'join us, it's lovely over here' may be misguided, but I think they do what they do for a love of other humans. I am never rude nor mocking of these people. I will just say sorry, but I am not interested, but I am cheery with them nonetheless.

Those of us who think we are 'enlightened' by our atheism could probably do well to convince others that they are wasting their time celebrating a deity that is pure fiction, but on the most part we don't bother, but I do always reserve a part of me that appreciates that these people feel that they have found enlightenment and want to share that with me, no mater how misguided I feel their thinking might be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:26 

All of which is lovely but doesn't stop them being nutjobs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:30 
Hibernating Druid

I don't have a problem with Christians knocking on my door, but The Fine Young Cannibals can fuck right off.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 

Dudley wrote:
All of which is lovely but doesn't stop them being nutjobs.

:(

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:33 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
I don't have a problem with Christians knocking on my door, but The Fine Young Cannibals can fuck right off.

Do they drive you crazy?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:42 
Son of a Reaperman

They're not interested in 'saving' you anyway, they just think God will give them a posher set of wings once they reach heaven for converting x amount of heathens.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:45 
Hibernating Druid

They're just grinding then?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:46 
UltraMod

Converted 1 heathen! +5 Smug points!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 

Tmuk wrote:
They're not interested in 'saving' you anyway, they just think God will give them a posher set of wings once they reach heaven for converting x amount of heathens.

Hmmm, maybe. I'd hope that wasn't the case, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:52 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Converted 1 heathen! +5 Smug points!

"Iron foot" achievement unlocked!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:55 
Son of a Reaperman

If a religious person is kind to you, you know they're actually only doing it for their own benefit. If an atheist is kind to you, then that actually means something, because they don't believe they'll be rewarded by some all seeing deity. Which raises all sorts of questions, like if there was actually a God after all, wouldn't he look upon the people who were just kind because they were nice people more favourably than those who were expecting a reward?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:57 
Not to be confused with elbow

Give, not in order to receive

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 13:05 

Tmuk wrote:
If a religious person is kind to you, you know they're actually only doing it for their own benefit. If an atheist is kind to you, then that actually means something, because they don't believe they'll be rewarded by some all seeing deity. Which raises all sorts of questions, like if there was actually a God after all, wouldn't he look upon the people who were just kind because they were nice people more favourably than those who were expecting a reward?

I don't believe that at all. Religious people are not only good because their religion dictates that they perhaps should be - many of those people would be kind and compassionate without religion and the promise of a fantastic afterlife as a goal.

That's to say that all religious people are by nature bad people but only act in a charitable or giving way through fear of conseuence or promise of reward. I knew a very religious girl when I was at university and she was lovely, but I think she would have been whether she was a Christian or not, she was just a nice person.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 13:06 
Not to be confused with elbow

Mimi wrote:
I don't believe that at all. Religious people are not only good because their religion dictates that they perhaps should be - many of those people would be kind and compassionate without religion and the promise of a fantastic afterlife as a goal.

That's to say that all religious people are by nature bad people but only act in a charitable or giving way through fear of conseuence or promise of reward. I knew a very religious girl when I was at university and she was lovely, but I think she would have been whether she was a Christian or not, she was just a nice person.

:this:

I know people like this

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 13:17 
Son of a Reaperman

I'm sure there are plenty of religious types who are genuinely nice people, but they've always got that fear in the back of their minds that if they're not careful they'll end up in the big fiery pit. There must be an element of 'See what I just did, God?' whenever they do a good deed. Perhaps there isn't, but with an atheist you can be sure they're not concerned about where they're going when they pop their clogs. Anyway, we were talking about the reasons they try to convert people. If they know that we don't believe what they believe they should respect that and mind their own bloody business.

Reply to topic  [ 296 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next