Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rugby!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 22:25 
Engorged Member

Ok so this is narrowly specific. If you support Bath or someone move along... If you like Rugby League, why? Nothing ever happens! It's almost as bad as football for nothing ever happening!

The mmmmmmmmighty N-G Dragons win again (and by again I mean "again since last season, when I seem to remember them winning at least once"). Away to Ulster. A basement battle 4 games in I feel.

Ospreys were fucking robbed by the TMO against Leinster by him apparently being
a) blind
b) partially sighted
c) fully sighted but ignorant of the rules
d) partially Irish
e) fully Irish
f) a cunt

PS rumour has it referee Nigel Owens is sleeping with Lee Byrne. A great rumour and one I am more than happy to spread!

Xbox 360 60Gb
Acer 5920G - Core2Duo T7300. Geforce 8600M. 4Gb RAM
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Hotpoint WF541 (Graphite)
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

Post subject: Re: Rugby!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:41 
Excellent Member

Ooh, an away win in the Magners League, there's a novelty.

Hairsprays didn't lose because of the TMO they lost because they can't convert territory into points against disciplined defences. Possibly the result of having shitty 9s and no Henson to remind Hook what he should be doing, several golden opportunities to drop three points to keep the scoreboard ticking not taken.

They'll be tougher when they get a full strength team on the park, although I still hope Leicester and Perpignan manage to keep them from leaving the HC group stage.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:11 
Engorged Member

Guwuffle wrote:
Ooh, an away win in the Magners League, there's a novelty.

Yeah, a major novelty for the Dragons! All we need now is away wins to Connacht and Glasgow and we should be in with a sniff for the last Heineken Cup spot.

Guwuffle wrote:
Hairsprays didn't lose because of the TMO they lost because they can't convert territory into points against disciplined defences. Possibly the result of having shitty 9s and no Henson to remind Hook what he should be doing, several golden opportunities to drop three points to keep the scoreboard ticking not taken.

They'll be tougher when they get a full strength team on the park, although I still hope Leicester and Perpignan manage to keep them from leaving the HC group stage.

Point taken. Although there's no way Horgan touched that ball back, and it should have been a Hook try, which would have changed the whole dynamic of the game. I also felt Leinster infringed at the breakdown in that classicly Irish way when they were defending in their 22 and Ospreys weren't calm or composed enough to take the right options. That is one criticism which can be levelled at Hook, is that he is not a calming, controlling 10 in the Mertons or even Wilkinson mould. He is an exciting game breaker but this is a double edged sword.

I still don't like them and they are the Man Utd. But I'd rather them beat Leinster than lose.

Xbox 360 60Gb
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:40 
Excellent Member

Funny you should mention Wilkinson as I think there's a distinct similarity in how they need to be handled - often needing guidance from IC.

Wilkinson played best in the 2001-3 period (especially at the World Cup) with Greenwood or Catt taking the decisions and him executing them very well - Hook has different strengths but still seems to go best when Henson is there to tell him how to apply them.

Plenty of time to develop for Hook though, he's only 23 isn't he? Wales can keep Jones for when they need control and hope Hook develops the same abilities. Wilkinson is certainly better now at game management (Six Nations this year aside) rather looking forward to seeing him live leading the Falcons to defeat tomorrow.

Otherwise in rugby any views on the ELVs so far? And any idea is anyone on justin.tv will be streaming the Help for Heroes coverage?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 17:55 
Engorged Member

Guwuffle wrote:
Funny you should mention Wilkinson as I think there's a distinct similarity in how they need to be handled - often needing guidance from IC.

Wilkinson played best in the 2001-3 period (especially at the World Cup) with Greenwood or Catt taking the decisions and him executing them very well - Hook has different strengths but still seems to go best when Henson is there to tell him how to apply them.

I'm not sure about it being advice. I think it's more about if you compare Henson, Greenwood and Catt they were/are quality 12s. Able to take in back rowers and opposite numbers physically but also good runners and all round footballers so very dangerous. This creates more space and time for 10 to make decisions. It also means that on occasions when 10 ships on, a good 12 can make things happen, eg tactical kicking or vision to throw a pass as opposed to head down arse up all the time like some of the lesser 12s.

Guwuffle wrote:
Plenty of time to develop for Hook though, he's only 23 isn't he? Wales can keep Jones for when they need control and hope Hook develops the same abilities. Wilkinson is certainly better now at game management (Six Nations this year aside) rather looking forward to seeing him live leading the Falcons to defeat tomorrow.

Yeah, he was 23 in June. Jones is nothing more than a good club player imo but he is effective behind what is a decent Welsh pack at the moment. He is undoubtedly a good game manager and cool under pressure. It's a bit like the old Mertens Spencer debate the All Blacks had, but Mertons was a lot better. To a lesser extent Andrew Barnes for England a few years ago, as Barnes wasn't really any good. Ironically I think Wilkinson is potentially a far better player now, he just doesn't seem to be able to get it all together.

Guwuffle wrote:
Otherwise in rugby any views on the ELVs so far? And any idea is anyone on justin.tv will be streaming the Help for Heroes coverage?

I watched the ELVs last year in the Super14 and Tri-Nations. I really like all of them except the downgraded penalty to free kick offences they used. It caused a lot of cynical play in attack when the defending team had the ball as what fucking use is a free kick 10 yds from your own line?! LOL!

Xbox 360 60Gb
Apple iPhone 3GS
Worcester Bosch 240RSF
Beko ZA630 (Graphite)
Centurion CLN-155S
Sharp R209

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]