Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mac Bluetooth Woes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 19:12 
Chinny chin chin

Any Mac experts in the house.

I have a Sony P1i, the worst phone known to man. As user friendly as a pit bull who wants to rip a childs face off.

I want to use the phone to connect to the interweb. In Windows this is fine because Sony supply the software and it pulls all the info from the phone.

In Macland there is no software and everything is a pain in the arse.

I've filled out the forms in the networking wizard thing with the info O2 sent and no joy. The mac just reports that it cannot create a serial port.

Anyone got a Mac using a 02 phone to dial the web with any success.

Fucking hell, even my elderly Tom Tom can go online via the phone!

And then there's the UPS but that issue is for another day!

Anyone? Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Mac Bluetooth Woes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 19:25 
Honey Boo Boo

I had a nightmare getting my iBook to connect to t'interweb using my old 6230i. It didn't help that my iBook didn't have Bluetooth built in and so I had to connect via a budget dongle (steady) that I purchased via Dabs.

It only worked maybe 10% of the time, and even then it was fairly unreliable. A lot of the information that OS X says you need was unknown to O2 when I rang them. I don't think I ever even tried getting my O2 6233 to connect it to the internet after the nightmare experience this was (picture me, in a rented van at the side of a road in Snowdonia, trying to connect my laptop to Multimap to figure out where the hell I needed to go next)

I recall a lot of extremely bizarre things about needing to assign ports and such, I don't remember much as this was about four years ago. I do have the thread I created on the Apple forums bookmarked, so when I get home I'll go and have a look at that, as well as check what settings I had.

Sorry I can't give you more right away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 19:54 
Chinny chin chin

Arrrggghh. I got it working for all of 10 seconds and the crnt dropped the connection and now refuses to connect.

I then got it to connect for longer but it was very slow and hung up whenever I submitted anything (like hitting submit post or entering a password). Grrrrr.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 20:10 
Chinny chin chin

Well fucking hoorah. It seems to work! Paint me green and call me Dave Lee-Travis!

Now, anyone got their Belkin UPS working with a Mac? I've plugged mine into the USB port and the Pro doesn't want to know.

[crosses fingers now I have to submit this post]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:14 
Honey Boo Boo

Well, you've got it going, but here is the link in case you were still interested...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=1109756

I had forgotten how everyone on that board just said 'you need to use a D-Link DBT120 USB adaptor' as their only help, and would ignore any other questions. Twats.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 13:21 
Excellent Member

If you're on Leopard, make sure you're using the latest version (10.5.5). Earlier versions, esp. 10.5.2 and earlier, are terrible with Bluetooth.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 14:08 
Chinny chin chin

Ian Osborne wrote:
If you're on Leopard, make sure you're using the latest version (10.5.5). Earlier versions, esp. 10.5.2 and earlier, are terrible with Bluetooth.

Cheers.

I'm on 10.5.4 so I'm guessing that 10.5.5 must be a new update due out soon.

It was a pain but with much guesswork I got it working.

As much as I love my new Macs I must say that, as I suspected, all that stuff about them being easier and more stable is bollocks. I've probably had marginally more crashes on these new systems than on my old PC edit systems. I've certainly had more total system hangs. Although I am sure that much of it is to do with Motion being as buggy as hell and Apple not having great drivers for the 8800 graphics card yet (which Motion relies on for pretty much everything).

I also find it childish that the icon for any Windows boxes on my network is an old CRT with a blue screen of death.

Oh and this big tower only restarts some of the time, often hanging on reboot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 14:46 
Honey Boo Boo

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I find it childish that the icon for any Windows boxes on my network is an old CRT with a blue screen of death.

Windows also had a number of icons that looked like that, to be fair.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 15:50 
Excellent Member

chinnyhill10 wrote:
I'm on 10.5.4 so I'm guessing that 10.5.5 must be a new update due out soon.

It's out now - run your software update. Or better still, download the 601MB combo update:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... pdate.html

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ]