Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Children's Library
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:57 
Excellent Member

Yarrgh! >:( (Makes Tiger face, leaps up from behind desk. Child stares. Runs to mummy.)

Well, I'm in the children's library now for the next six months. Roald Dahl day was an excellent inauguration, but now it's down to the gruelling slog of keeping hyperactive children from getting bored and/or hurting themselves.

Anyone worked in a children's library before? You parents out there, know of any neat imaginative activities at your local children's library that I can cunningly swipe? Any tips on keeping energy levels up for a trying day, without resorting to alcohol?

Now I must run, Joey-Joe-Joes trying to brain his sister with a Tonka Toy.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Post subject: Re: Children's Library
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 
That Rev Chap

My wife used to work as a librarian in both elementary and high schools before she moved over here. I'll ask her if she has any advice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:45 

I used to run a 3-6 years old group at the local library.

I would read a book and think of ways to act it out with the kids - masks, stick and hand puppets and rudimentary costumes all helped. I would also hand out a line drawing of one of the characters from teh book that we were reading that week and we'd sit down and colour them, or they'd take them home.

We did quite a few different things, what kind of things are you looking for and how long do the kids stay for - do you have them arrive for pre-arranged sessions or are they just wandering in with parents throughout the day?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 
Excellent Member

Good questions Mimi!

Well, they come round for story-time on a Tuesday, which has a bundle of stories for a half hour, and then craft activities and singalongs. Then there's rhyme time another morning, which is the same thing. It's for the same age bracket you mentioned.

I might buy an Eskimimi toy, or something to hold the pens in!

Other than that, parents wandering in and out. We get a different basket out of ten or so circulated every week full of different things for kids to mess around with. One basket will be 'textures', the other will be 'messy things' and so on. That's handy inspiration.

Oogh. I'm really knackered. I drew this kid out of his shell. He doesn't relate to the female staff, but he seems to find me hilarious. I've been running around making Tiger noises with him while shelving books, for about twenty minutes, and playing catch for another twenty while tidying up. It's kinda nice 'cos he waved and said 'bye!' again and again, and apparently he doesn't do that normally.

I am however completely exhausted now.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:29 
INFINITE POWAH

I thought it was a library rather than a childcare centre? Do they not have parents with them?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:32 

Let me have a think about some of the stuff that I used to do, nervy P, my brain's not working at the moment as I am about to nip to the shops and trying to work out what I am looking for. :P

I'll give my friend a call tonight, also - she's been a teacher for about 5 years and teaches five year olds, so might well have some good tips/ideas/advice.

M x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:35 
Not to be confused with elbow

Mimi wrote:
I used to run a 3-6 years old group at the local library.

I would read a book and think of ways to act it out with the kids - masks, stick and hand puppets and rudimentary costumes all helped. I would also hand out a line drawing of one of the characters from teh book that we were reading that week and we'd sit down and colour them, or they'd take them home.

This is a good idea. We used to do that when watching the kids in the play area.

We had only a small group of kids to watch (thank god!) so we said that one kid could draw the princess, one draw the frog etc then we'd make them out of card and cut them out and they could 'move' by using those pins (I hope people know what I'm on about, the one's where you could push them through the card and then bend the back of the pin to hold the card it in place but you could still move the legs and arms of the character) and then when it came to the part in the story that the princess was in the kid would like 'act out' the scene with the cut-out character. They enjoyed that

Also toilet rolls were great to use for the bodies of characters, I used to save them up so I could take them in and get the kids to draw on them and stick things to them.

My favourite was finger painting with the kids :) I got in more of a mess than they did :S but around books....not such a good idea -_-;

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:35 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
I thought it was a library rather than a childcare centre? Do they not have parents with them?

They do, the parents join in with the activities. This still results me in running around going, "Rowr!" though.

And ta Mimi! Though I notice now you don't have pencil cases. Heigh ho. I do like the look of the Dinosaur DS case very muchly, though.

Neat suggestions there Shin! I like the toilet rolls one! And I think I know the pins you mean. The gold blobby-circular headed ones with the two prongs that bend back, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 13:35 
INFINITE POWAH

nervouspete wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

They do, the parents join in with the activities. This still results me in running around going, "Rowr!" though.

Excellent - I wasn't being entirely serious there... :)

First Born loves libraries - he's not even two, and still loves books and libraries and lady librarians. Our local libaray is very child friendly, for all ages of kids, and has an excellent (and huge) kids area, complete with big comfy chairs, bean bags, toys and everything. It is one of the acest places anywhere.

Boo to the grumpy old people who scowl at us, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 13:59 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:

Ah, clearly you haven't reached the stage in parenting where you make everywhere you possibly can a childcare centre.

"Go help the nice mechanic under that precariously raised car, Jimmy!"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:17 
What-ho, chaps!

Mr Chris wrote:

Kids' libraries => no difference.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:44 
Excellent Member

MrD wrote:
Kids' libraries => no difference + < pay.

Ftfy. :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:48 

nervouspete wrote:
Neat suggestions there Shin! I like the toilet rolls one! And I think I know the pins you mean. The gold blobby-circular headed ones with the two prongs that bend back, right?

Those are the ones!! I'm sure they are called 'split pins' now actually! Little bit of a 'Ronseal' moment for me there :)

I used to love getting involved with the stuff the kids were doing, plus I used to do impressions of cartoon characters for them and stuff as I'm very good at that :D I'm a big kid ^.^*

What age range are the kids? If they are old enough here's another thing I used to do:

I used to get them to make a 'comic' type story for their siblings/mums/dad/grandparents to read. I remember we had a story about a tiger who was lost and all the kids loved it because there was tons of animals helping him find his way home (I love reading aloud to small children-it gets me all mumsy :p hehe) and then after I said, 'How about we do our own story for someone in our family?' and so I got them folding sheets of A4 paper to make a booklet that we stapled at the end. It shows that things don't have to be pricey to be fun and they can do them at home aswell. Get some glitter and stars and things to sprinkle on aswell

It was lovely because one little boy did it for his brother who was in hospital after coming off his mountain bike and breaking his leg and he wrote about a Tiger with a poorly leg and drew a bandage on it! AWWW!

It helps kids get into writing and be creative rather than just listening to a story and gives you (the 'minder') some peace for a few minutes from entertaining whilst you think of something else to do.

TIP: Make sure you can draw the creatures/things you are getting the kids to write about as it doesn't look too good if you draw something worse than the kid would :DD

I should have been on Blue Peter :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 23:04 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

Ah, clearly you haven't reached the stage in parenting where you make everywhere you possibly can a childcare centre.

"Go help the nice mechanic under that precariously raised car, Jimmy!"

I recently turned the office into a bowling alley using a large number of sample floorboards and an enormously heavy iron cannonball for some three year old who wandered in off the street to talk to the strange bearded man in a secluded office while his mum chatted to some woman or other in a sandwich shop up the road.

In three out of seven parallel dimensions, I'm currently rolling around naked in the ransom money. Fucking morals.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 23:31 
SupaMod

Mimi wrote:
I'll give my friend a call tonight, also - she's been a teacher for about 5 years and teaches five year olds

She's taught them from straight out of the womb? 8)

"Please, let's not turn into a group of people who say 'optimal' instead of 'best'..." - casaubon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 23:59 

No matter how many times I read it I can't make it scan like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 0:10 

TheAlbinoKid wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I'll give my friend a call tonight, also - she's been a teacher for about 5 years and teaches five year olds

She's taught them from straight out of the womb? 8)

I get it

Meaning for 5 years of their lives she's taught them, they are 5, hence the 'early learning' taken to the extreme there :S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 0:22 

Yes, I do understand what Albino kid means, but it doesn't read like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:33 

"She's been teaching 5 year olds for 5 years now" would have scanned like that. This has almost been phrased entirely to try and avoid someone making that joke and then doing near endless analysis of it.

Victory there then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 

Cue headache

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 23:24 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I have a friend who worked in a sprog taming centre a while back. Based on reports of her experiences, my advice is to be an attractive young woman with a breadth of artsy skills. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 15:59 

sinister agent wrote:
I have a friend who worked in a sprog taming centre a while back. Based on reports of her experiences, my advice is to be an attractive young woman with a breadth of artsy skills. Hope this helps!

I'm always available to help out nervous pete :) I'm quite handy with glitter and drawing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:04 
Excellent Member

(Throws wig in bin)

"You're hired!"

It's 'Talk Like A Pirate Day' tomorrow, and we're combining that with the pirate them for the very soon to be launched Bookstart. This means making spy-telescopes out of toilet-rolls, making treasure maps with a chocolatte coin bag prize and making big, big cardboard ships to stick on the walls.

At the moment however I'm knocking up a multiple choice quiz for the yun 'uns. It's tricky though, trying to get the right not-entirely-obvious answer while making it easy. Plus I'm slightly tempted to throw in parent-pleasing jokes.

Here it is so far...

Quote:

1: What be the name of the pirate flag?

A: Silly Jenny
B: Jolly Roger
C: Snarly Fred

2: Name a famous pirate who really sailed the salty seas!

A: Sir Henry Morgan
B: Sir Winston Churchill
C: Sirhan Sirhan

3: What illness do pirates get when they spend too long at sea? And how do you cure this terrible icky disease?

A: Baldness with wigs.
B: The heaving sneezies with man-size tissues.
C: Scurvy with lemons.

4: What sharp and curvy weapon do pirates use?

A: A cheese knife
B: A cutlass
C: A banana

5: Where in the world did the pirates do most of their naughty looting and pillaging?

A: The Caribbean Sea
B: The North Sea
C: Splott

6: Name the famous Welsh pirate!

A: Bart Simpson
B: Purple Bertram
C: Black Bart

7: Two cold-hearted lady pirates plundered together, who were they?

A: Thelma and Louise
B: Ann Bonny and Mary Read
C: Trinny and Susanna

8: What did extra-mean pirates make their prisoners do?

A: Walk the plank
B: Arm-wrestle with Bosun Bigarm, the big-armed pirate.
C: Do the washing up

9: Aho was the Chief Pirate in the book Treasure Island?

A: Captain Hook

B: Long John Wayne

C: Long John Silver

10: Pirates love their smelly, mouth-scorching drinks – but what was their favourite?

A: Grog

B: Ribena

C: Martini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:10 

nervouspete wrote:
(Throws wig in bin)

"You're hired!"

It's 'Talk Like A Pirate Day' tomorrow, and we're combining that with the pirate them for the very soon to be launched Bookstart. This means making spy-telescopes out of toilet-rolls, making treasure maps with a chocolatte coin bag prize and making big, big cardboard ships to stick on the walls.

At the moment however I'm knocking up a multiple choice quiz for the yun 'uns. It's tricky though, trying to get the right not-entirely-obvious answer while making it easy. Plus I'm slightly tempted to throw in parent-pleasing jokes.

When do I start? :D

Also-toilet rolls! YAAAAY! Go you! Toilet rolls have many many uses.

Not so sure about:

But that's just me.

I would have tried to get a parrot piniata! How cool would that be?

I WANNA COME PLAY PIRATES! >:( s'not fair

I think I'm going to start a creche or something. I love playing :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:47 

Shin wrote:
I'm sure they are called 'split pins' now actually!
In the UK, "split pin" is something you get on a car; the US calls these Cotter keys. The crafting doodad made from brass you are describing is normally simply called a brass fastener or, in UK craft shops, often as a "brad". Wiki edumacation awaits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 16:58 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
When do I start? :D

Also-toilet rolls! YAAAAY! Go you! Toilet rolls have many many uses.

Not so sure about:

But that's just me.

I would have tried to get a parrot piniata! How cool would that be?

I WANNA COME PLAY PIRATES! >:( s'not fair

I think I'm going to start a creche or something. I love playing :)

Heh, well I'm married to question 10, but yeah, the other two are a bit forced. The answers for them are a bit too silly as well, but I knew that when typing them. I'm coming up with new answers. :)

Parrot Pinata sounds cool! But expensive! But cool! Maybe some Haribo, hmm...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 17:11 
INFINITE POWAH

The answer to 6 better be Purple Bertram.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 18:08 
Excellent Member

Gagh. Can't concentrate on anything due to shitty band under the railway tracks in their utterly non-sound insulated rehearsal space blasting out "RAWK!" that is so hamfisted that it defies belief.

They've been playing for two hours now, the sound pounding through the pre-fab walls. I used to be able to drown it out from behind the music desk in the adjoining building with tunes, but here I'm right next to it and its murder.

Would it be a sin to kill them?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 18:13 

nervouspete wrote:
Gagh. Can't concentrate on anything due to shitty band under the railway tracks in their utterly non-sound insulated rehearsal space blasting out "RAWK!" that is so hamfisted that it defies belief.

They've been playing for two hours now, the sound pounding through the pre-fab walls. I used to be able to drown it out from behind the music desk in the adjoining building with tunes, but here I'm right next to it and its murder.

Would it be a sin to kill them?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:22 
Excellent Member

I'm making a big cardboard pirate called 'Cap'n Pete Badluck'. His beard, hat, peg-leg, sword, pistol belt, eyepatch and parrot have been stolen by a lady pirate, and you have to find them for him! Thanks to the genius art of velcro stick-on pads, the items can be handily attached, making a mournful pirate into a happy one.

Now I just need a name for the wicked thieving lady pirate, and maybe a design idea for her. Suggestions BETEO! ("Half of which will no doubt be considered indecent," - ed.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:37 
Excellent Painter

Dread Pirate Roberta!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 
Comfortably Dumb

Cap'n Mimi Adobe. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:54 

Pirate Queen Pricillia O'Ate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:45 

Buccaneer Betty! hehe :) short and easy to say, very child friendly
I'm sure I'll think of more...

http://www.thepirateking.com/terminology/terminology_pirate_fun.htm

For some reason....I like this page.

YAR!

Seymour's be wreckers of thee pirate world, we are the pikeys of the ocean, yar! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 16:23 
Excellent Member

Mimi!

You are now the Wicked Captain Mimi, stealer of belts, eyepatches, hats, cutlasses, peg-legs, beards and parrots! Children must defy you in finding poor ol' Cap'n Pete Badluck's apparell and reattaching them via the magic of velco to the colourful comedy pirate stuck to the wall. You accompany the display in the form of a rather spiffing drawing that looks nothing like you, as I did not want to too closely associate your fine store and personage with illegal pirating activities and mean behaviour. :D

Hope that cheers slightly, on your rubbish day. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 15:51 
Excellent Member

Agh. I am completely exhausted. Yup, we've just had Michael Rosen children's poet laureate around, with a BBC 4 camera crew and a dozen giddy eight to ten year old children in tow. The theme of the show is introducing kids who are reluctant readers to boko-books. Things went swimingly well, the kids were really funny and Michael read some of his poems to the little kids. Didn't really get to speak much to Mr Rosen beyond pleasantries, but he seemed a nice affable chap, and he has a firm, manly handshake. I was repeatedly filmed being snowed under by kid's 'excuse please' requests for books and stickers and magnets and stuff, and at the end during the children's question and answer sesh, where I did cheesy grin and thumbs up to a kid's opinion that we were better and cooler than Llanedeyrn library. The kids got a bit fed up with the cameras though, when one said off the cuff to me, "I really love this library," the BBC woman said, "What did you say? What did you say? Can you say it again?" Poor thing. Don't know if I'll make it on air, but I suspect I may - for about five seconds. Though I am wearing a Spillers Records t-shirt, so it depends if they twig. ;)

So yes, I'm knackered. :S I'm now making pirate hats for Friday, when I am dressed up as one for National Bookstart Day

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 19:42 
Gogmagog

nervouspete wrote:
Agh. I am completely exhausted. Yup, we've just had Michael Rosen children's poet laureate around, with a BBC 4 camera crew and a dozen giddy eight to ten year old children in tow. The theme of the show is introducing kids who are reluctant readers to boko-books. Things went swimingly well, the kids were really funny and Michael read some of his poems to the little kids. Didn't really get to speak much to Mr Rosen beyond pleasantries, but he seemed a nice affable chap, and he has a firm, manly handshake. I was repeatedly filmed being snowed under by kid's 'excuse please' requests for books and stickers and magnets and stuff, and at the end during the children's question and answer sesh, where I did cheesy grin and thumbs up to a kid's opinion that we were better and cooler than Llanedeyrn library. The kids got a bit fed up with the cameras though, when one said off the cuff to me, "I really love this library," the BBC woman said, "What did you say? What did you say? Can you say it again?" Poor thing. Don't know if I'll make it on air, but I suspect I may - for about five seconds. Though I am wearing a Spillers Records t-shirt, so it depends if they twig. ;)

So yes, I'm knackered. :S I'm now making pirate hats for Friday, when I am dressed up as one for National Bookstart Day

You've made it.

Far more than most people spent at Rada.

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 20:40 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Aw, Michael Rosen is lovely. I used to read his old poems and stories with my sister when I was a kid, particularly the stories about his wee son, Eddy. I was heartbroken when I read his Sad Book a few years ago and found out that Eddy was dead. It's a beautiful book, that. Very simple and sincere, without any of the condescension that often comes with books about grief.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:34 
Excellent Member

Well, that was knackering. Just had to host over 30 kids (count 'em!) in the National Bookstart Day Pirate thing. There were songs, a pirate tent, craft with sand and glitter and digging for treasure in more sand, a story and an incredible amount of mess and running around. Yup, completely knackered.

And the kids trampled my Pirate Pete cardboard and velcro thing. :(

But it was a success, so hurrah for that. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:36 

nervouspete wrote:
Well, that was knackering. Just had to host over 30 kids (count 'em!) in the National Bookstart Day Pirate thing. There were songs, a pirate tent, craft with sand and glitter and digging for treasure in more sand, a story and an incredible amount of mess and running around. Yup, completely knackered.

And the kids trampled my Pirate Pete cardboard and velcro thing. :(

But it was a success, so hurrah for that. :D

Well done!!

Aw man, I wanted to be a pirate :(

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]