Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The day
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:50 

Oh no, that does sound like a depressing day.

I feel a bit better today thanks, everyone, after finally getting to sleep (I was up until about 3:30 in the end because I couldn't settle down but slept with exhaustion in the end) and today WILL be better because I'm not leaving my house for love nor money. If I do inherit a candyfloss factory (om nom nom!) I will go and check it out tomorrow.

I don't know how the fight erupted, really. The first I knew of it was the glass, but Jackie was talking to the asian fighter after he was separated from the semi-conscious black guy and from what I understand one was supposed to have stared at the other and then the other hit him in the head for it. I think he said that the black guy threw the first punch, but I can't remember now if it was the other way around. i was still trying to keep as far away from everyone and all the mirrors to be honest.

The worst thing was the old lady - a relative of the asian man fighting, she was very old (perhaps grandmother to the man) and screaming and crying, but trying to physically get in there to separate them, Jackie had to physically drag her away and deposit her with the rest of her family. The Asian guy was relatively unharmed by the looks of things, he was by far the bigger, but very unassuming looking - the other guy looked tough - small but muscular (he took his shirt off at some point - he was topless when the glasses were thrown either way) which probably didn't help as he seemed to be bleeding a lot.

I'd never been to Nandos, Goatboy, but it seemed OK. It was full of families when we got there and seemed quite friendly. Jackie said her brother loves it there. I didn't realise that they were so common a restaurant. The food was very tasty at least.

Hehe, going back to the marital breakdown, I once went to a Chinese Restaurant with Craig, and we were sat in the quiet upstairs area as there were a lot of loud groups downstairs and because there were only the two of us I think they thought it would be nice to give us a bit of quiet. Also shown upstairs a little later was another couple who sat at the table next to us.

I thought that maybe the girl of the other couple were a bit tipsy, she seemed to be being a bit bitchy, talking about someone, and her boyfriend looked bored and embarrassed. Our meals arrived and I had Chicken Satay (om nom nom) which makes a noise on the plate (the plate is super hot and it 'sizzles' as they serve it) and the girl was talking to her boyfriend about something and loudly exclaimed about whoever she was talking about 'oooh, look at me, look at me!', the boyfriend looked mortified but I smiled at him and carried on talking to Craig. Not long after their meals were served, and with her chatter and eating at once she started to choke. I stood up and passed my drink to her to see if it would clear it, and she managed to cough it up, the boyfriend mouthed 'I'm sorry', which I didn't much understand, and not long after we finished our meal and left.

It wasn't until afterwards that I realised through what Craig was saying that the reason he kept looking uncomfortable was that she was sitting there bitching about me/us, but I was enjoying myself to much to care or notice :D I had never seen this girl before, she was just being an idiot, and that's why the boyfriend kept apologizing. Craig always laughs at the fact that I was so concerned to offer me drink to her (which I would have done, anyway) but I looked so genuinely sorry for it spoiling her evening, when she'd been trying to spoil ours the whole while. I felt kind of sorry for the boyfriend, though. Craig reckons that they hadn't been together very long. I actually hoped not for much longer, either, because he seemed like a nice friendly person whereas she... did not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:51 

Sorry to hear about what sounds like a truly shitty day, Mimi. Hope you have a better one today.

I did barbecued chicken kebabs in Nando's Peri-Peri marinade on Saturday - they were grand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:54 
Gogmagog

Pleased you are well and good Miimster.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:55 

Nik wrote:
Sorry to hear about what sounds like a truly shitty day, Mimi. Hope you have a better one today.

I did barbecued chicken kebabs in Nando's Peri-Peri marinade on Saturday - they were grand.

Oh yes! I knew I had seen the name Nando's on something before - you can buy the sauce in Sainsburys! I will be buying some, it was very tasty!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:57 
INFINITE POWAH

Glad you're better meems - sorry it was a less than excellent day for you...

And: Nando's is king. FACT.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:15 
Not to be confused with elbow

Glad you are feeling better aswell Mimi.
Nando's is bloody expensive! They've just made one in Shrews-town :s

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:18 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:

Nando's is bloody expensive! They've just made one in Shrews-town :s

You're kidding me?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:18 
Excellent Member

Nandos used to be good. Now... meh.

However, their sauces are most excellent for cooking at home.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:19 

The one I went to wasn't expensive at all. It was under £20 for both of our meals, and we each had two whole chicken breasts (and mine had bread in the shape of a lemon, which I loved) and Jackie's was in some kind of giant pitta bread or wrap. But there was a lot of food there for £20, and that paid for the drinks, too. Oh, and there were some chips on each of the plates, too. I wanted rice, but thought that rice and burger would be an odd combo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:22 

So, er, how much did you tip?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 
Gogmagog

"Do you have a reservation?"

"Yes, several"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:36 

That's cheaper than what we had! I have no idea what the hell they are doing at our branch then :s
We only went because we had free tickets because we won them at bowling because we are the acest team alive :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:45 

Kern wrote:
So, er, how much did you tip?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Well, I gave Jackie the money and she went to the till (as you have to actually order at the till, rather than a waiter come to the table, which is odd) so I don't know the answer, or even if she did.

Um, I understand you were joking, but I don't understand how :p

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 

I am highly doubtful that the prices in one branch are higher than the branches in another - I am sure they must all use the same menus and if some branches did have their prices bumped I find it hard to imagine that they'd put higher prices in Shrewsbury than in London as it is almost always the other way around. ?:|

No, the site gives a menu, so it must be the same in all branches. Have a look for yourself. Not expensive at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 
Legendary Boogeyman

£15 for half a chicken with chips, if I recall. Mmm.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:53 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
£15 for half a chicken with chips, if I recall. Mmm.

Not unless you paid nearly £10 for the chips :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 
INFINITE POWAH

Mmmmm. Nandos.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

I must be thinking of the chicken platter, shared between two, which last time I went was about £15, so nyaaaa :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:02 

I get a chicken burger with chips and rice and it's under £10.

Expensive is certainly not what I'd call them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 
Gogmagog

The people in "2 Pints of Lager" viewed Nandos as high class expensive dining. This puts me off it.

Sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:03 

Nyaaaa, Comical, you were wrong :DD . Anyway, it seems not to be 'bloody expensive', either way :)

'Twas tasty, though. :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 
INFINITE POWAH

MaliA wrote:
The people in "2 Pints of Lager" viewed Nandos as high class expensive dining. This puts me off it.

Sorry.

The actual actors do too.

But Nandos is still teh lushness.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:07 

I think it's just me then, I can't normally afford to eat out and stuff so I balk at that :s

Mind you, I didn't have to pay for it so I shouldn't moan about it-we just tallied* it up and it was a 'holy hell,' moment.

*Tallied? Is that how it's spelt? It doesn't look right...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:08 
Excellent Member

Nandos, tolerable but not as good as roast chicken and gratin dauphinois at Rotisserie Jules.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:09 

MaliA wrote:

Sorry.

Oh, Mali - it was actually mostly families there last night. Both the guys fighting were in big family groups. Ok, that's not a plus point, is it? It seemed quite nice, it certainly wasn't full of 'chavs' or anything like that. Also, did I say it was tasty? Om nom nom.

Yes, Shin. 'Free' is quite inexpensive as things go ;) .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:12 
Comfortably Dumb

Mimi wrote:
I am highly doubtful that the prices in one branch are higher than the branches in another - I am sure they must all use the same menus and if some branches did have their prices bumped I find it hard to imagine that they'd put higher prices in Shrewsbury than in London as it is almost always the other way around. ?:|

No, the site gives a menu, so it must be the same in all branches. Have a look for yourself. Not expensive at all.

According to their site, my nearest Nando's is 27 miles away which would explain why I've never heard of it. Still, we've started getting stuff like Starbucks finally opening up around here so give it a few years and maybe we'll get there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:14 

Starbucks is opening in Lancaster, I saw the sign outside a few days ago :( The only good thing about this is that they have built it next to Nero, so hopefully there'll be a lot more free space in the Nero store.

I'd not heard of Nandos before yesterday, either, apart from maybe in passing once I think someone mentioned it. I didn't know it was a big chain, though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 
Legendary Boogeyman

There are 5 nandos within 7 miles of my house, however I know of a 6th that the store finder did not show. :hat:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Sorry.

Oh, Mali - it was actually mostly families there last night. Both the guys fighting were in big family groups. Ok, that's not a plus point, is it? It seemed quite nice, it certainly wasn't full of 'chavs' or anything like that. Also, did I say it was tasty? Om nom nom.

Heavens, no. It's just that I avoid the one in Oxford as there's muchos better places to eat nearby where it is, for more money, and I feel the extra is worth it. But, anyways, enough of my food snobbery.

(Actually, i THINK I went to the nandos in covent garden in 2002 with a girl i went to school with who contacted me through Friends reunited)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:19 
baron of techno

Mimi wrote:
Starbucks is opening in Lancaster, I saw the sign outside a few days ago :( The only good thing about this is that they have built it next to Nero, so hopefully there'll be a lot more free space in the Nero store.

I'd not heard of Nandos before yesterday, either, apart from maybe in passing once I think someone mentioned it. I didn't know it was a big chain, though.

I hadn't heard of it prior to about 3 weeks ago when one appeared next to the cinema at the motorway junction 3. It seemed considerably nicer and more inviting than the Pizza express, Macdonalds, KFC, Some Steak Place which are also clustered around there. So we went in.
I didn't realise it was a primarily chicken based place either (there is no stylised picture of happy poultry on a brightly lit plastic sign outside, for example, which is probably why it seemed inviting), but we found non-chicken things which were also tasty and good value. Free refills of your soft drink beverage as well.

The thing where you go up to the till to order and pay and don#t have to wait around for years for the waiters is immensely efficient and sensible and I totally approve of it.

Waiters are annoying, they should just bring you food like in Nandos, instead of the whole waiting thing. I can do without waiting when I've got Batman 3 tickets in my paw.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 
Hibernating Druid

Do Nandos use free range Chicken or 'D-grade' cage crawlers like KFC?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:41 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Artist's impression of the Mimi-hat-rainbow-gun bubble:

Must remember to quit job and become freelance artist.

Fantastic job, chap! :munkeh:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 13:15 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
*Tallied? Is that how it's spelt? It doesn't look right...

Yes.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2