Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: Sexism, the media, and women's bits.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 19:30 
Rude Belittler

I don't know if it means anything, but everyone I know who's studied any form of martial art would've done exactly the same as you did, Mimi, in that situation. Knives take little skill to wield, and strike fast. They also do a lot of damage, and strike in a straight line. Even if you know the blow is coming, it is insanely difficult to stop it without damage.

Now I'll always remember the (possibly apocryphal) tale of the mugger who got a shock. A re-enactor was coming home from the pub, after a hard days re-enacting battles, and a hard night of drinking. A mugger steps out of the shadows, and demands our hero's money. Our hero (being more than a little drunk) tells him to fuck off. The mugger then attempts to stab him in the stomach. And fails. Non-plussed at the lack of blood, screams, or any reaction whatsoever from his victim, he stands dumbstruck, as our hero reaches into his kit bag and pulls out a fucking sword, and the mugger shits himself and runs like a terrified hare into the night. Our hero readjusts his chainmail underneath his trenchcoat, puts his sword away and wanders off home.

*Note, although it seems unlikely for him to still wearing his armour at this point, chainmail is heavy, but its a lot easier to carry it on your body with a nice stout belt, than in a sack. Its like the difference between carrying a 40lb holdall compared to a 40lb rucksack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 19:33 
Not to be confused with elbow

Pundabaya wrote:
I don't know if it means anything, but everyone I know who's studied any form of martial art would've done exactly the same as you did, Mimi, in that situation. Knives take little skill to wield, and strike fast. They also do a lot of damage, and strike in a straight line. Even if you know the blow is coming, it is insanely difficult to stop it without damage.

Now I'll always remember the (possibly apocryphal) tale of the mugger who got a shock. A re-enactor was coming home from the pub, after a hard days re-enacting battles, and a hard night of drinking. A mugger steps out of the shadows, and demands our hero's money. Our hero (being more than a little drunk) tells him to fuck off. The mugger then attempts to stab him in the stomach. And fails. Non-plussed at the lack of blood, screams, or any reaction whatsoever from his victim, he stands dumbstruck, as our hero reaches into his kit bag and pulls out a fucking sword, and the mugger shits himself and runs like a terrified hare into the night. Our hero readjusts his chainmail underneath his trenchcoat, puts his sword away and wanders off home.

*Note, although it seems unlikely for him to still wearing his armour at this point, chainmail is heavy, but its a lot easier to carry it on your body with a nice stout belt, than in a sack. Its like the difference between carrying a 40lb holdall compared to a 40lb rucksack.

That would have been amazing to see!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 0:25 
Awesome
Yes

Just wanted to shove my oar in here and wish my happy thoughts onto Mimi. Hope you had a good meal with your friend.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 0:34 

It was a great meal, there was some stuff afterwards, but it was so lovely seeing her that it kind of made the rest of the day before and after much more bearable. :)

Thanks, Mr Russ.

Would you like your oar back?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 0:37 
Awesome
Yes

I have just read about 'the other stuff'.

You're so positive and upbeat about everything all the time. :)

You make me smile!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 0:44 

You make ME smile.

I was feeling a bit down earlier, but seeing my friend made me feel so happy again, and then I got a new avatar, with rainbows - and a bubble, and a hat - and a pink dress! Many of my favourite things!

Also, like Craig said, it could have been worse. If Monkey were in my bag I would be so distraught, but it was only money and a handbag. With the cards cancelled the only loss was the cash and my bag and a few other bits of nonsense that don't really matter at the end of the day. it was the shock more than the things that I lost that upset me, but I'm having a quiet day in tomorrow, and then I shall venture out on Friday and treat myself to a new wallet to hold all of my shiny new bank cards when they arrive!

I hope he doesn't get any library books out on my account :p

Oh, or spend my Boots points! I will phone them in teh morning, too. I hadn't thought of that. I have £25 on there for rainy day treats :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:50 
Gogmagog

Is your shop still online, Mimi?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:27 
Son of a Reaperman

Has anyone read this book?

Because every time you talk about Craig it makes me smirk Mimi :D
P.S I'm not saying that you're a chatroom freak etc. etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 

MaliA wrote:
Is your shop still online, Mimi?

I hope so! *checks* Yup!

I didn't meet Craig in a chatroom, Tmuk, nor on the internet at all - we were at university together and we met there :)

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4