Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Death and Destruction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 14:26 
Lurker

So, I've been working pretty much non-stop over the last few days as the brochure I'm working on was supposed to be at the printer at 9am today. The actual pages were being artworked by an external agency, who have been in all weekend also.

On Saturday, I sent an email along the lines of "I'm going home now, but I'll be back on Sunday at 8am until the death (perhaps literally!)", as a sort or rubbish joke about how working such long hours would be the death of us.

On Sunday, one of the recipients of said email did literally die.

I am in shock - I'd only spoken to him a few times and we hardly knew each other, but it's still affected me quite a lot. Yesterday afternoon at 2pm he was emailing me. Yesterday night he was dead. Not entirely sure of the circumstances - high blood pressure was a factor, I think. It's certainly put a few things into perspective for me anyway. I just hope that the pressure we'd put on them with the deadline wasn't a contributing factor...

Not really sure why I'm posting this to be honest, just needed to get this off my chest somewhere and this seemed as good a place as any.

Post subject: Re: Death and Destruction
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 14:36 
Son of a Reaperman

Oof, yeah I think that'd shit me up a bit too. :(
Don't blame yourself though, he was ultimately responsible for his own health even if stress was a contributing factor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 15:42 
Lurker

Tmuk wrote:
Don't blame yourself though, he was ultimately responsible for his own health even if stress was a contributing factor.

Heh, nice edit, there...

I don't feel personally responsible, but it is in the back of my mind that the pressures we'd put on him weren't helping. That said, he's not the only person who could've done that work, and I believe he did volunteer to do it. Still feel a bit weird about it though. Having to speak to his colleagues today is pretty uncomfortable, too. I don't know how they're coping with it. I doubt I'd be able to work at all if someone I worked with suddenly died.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 15:51 
Not to be confused with elbow

Whoa...remind me never to open an email from you!

All jokes aside:

Don't feel guilty about it, he was the only person who could have said, 'whoa! This is getting too much for me' e.t.c. People push themselves too much and work themselves, literally, to death.

A friend of mine's dad died of a heart attack and they say that was because he was overworked. Nothing is more important than your health

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 15:53 
UltraMod

I had a work colleague die early last year. I didn't know him overly well, but did play football with him a couple of days before he died. The atmosphere at work was very strange for a good few weeks afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 16:00 
Son of a Reaperman

Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

Heh, nice edit, there...

I don't feel personally responsible, but it is in the back of my mind that the pressures we'd put on him weren't helping. That said, he's not the only person who could've done that work, and I believe he did volunteer to do it. Still feel a bit weird about it though. Having to speak to his colleagues today is pretty uncomfortable, too. I don't know how they're coping with it. I doubt I'd be able to work at all if someone I worked with suddenly died.

Yeah, sorry dude, I didn't read your post properly before posting :S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 15:24 

myoptika wrote:
I had a work colleague die early last year. I didn't know him overly well, but did play football with him a couple of days before he died. The atmosphere at work was very strange for a good few weeks afterwards.

"So... err... who's gonna be the new goalkeeper, then?"

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]