And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wordban
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Zardoz wrote:
Your a Pad then Kissyfur?

Me ma is from County Waterford, yes, and I'm entitled to an Oirish passport.

I do not celebrate St Patrick's day, however, nor do I go around calling myself "Irish". I am an Englishman. Much as Oscar Wilde was... :)

The American thing of bigging up their ancestry (everyone's an "[insert country here]-American") is a little unnecessary, to my mind. I don't need to play up the fact I'm half Irish or a bit Welsh. I'm proud of my family's history, but I don't need to go on about it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:02 
making out to faces of death

No room for you at the B&B. It's the other guests, see. I'm not racist but they'll move out if I let in a Mick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

But when you consider the word in and of itself, it's a perfectly appropriate abbreviation of 'Pakistani'.
Quote:
Well, no, it's not stupid, it's just true. Any word *can* be rude depending on how it's used. The words "mum", "touch", "your" and "you" are all inoffensive on their own, but when I string them together in an argument they become a bit less inoffensive. This is fact.

Sorry, you're right there, I quoted a bad part of the sentence. I meant to reinforce the fact that banning words for the context in which they're used is silly.
Quote:
I don't need to explain anything. I'm not your teacher.

No need to get so uppity, we're having a discussion here.

I am not ignorant of how words are perceived, obviously. I don't go around calling Pakistani's 'pakis', because I personally deem it to be a reasonable abbreviation of a word. I understand which words are considered 'offensive', and thusly I don't use them.

However, my central point is that if you examine the actual words and their literal meaning, they're anything but offensive. Everyone is 'coloured', so there's nothing inherantly racist about it. It's just a word. 'Paki' is to 'Pakistani' as to 'Brit' is to 'British'. The fact 'Paki' is considered racist is unfortunate, as it's a perfectly valid word.

The problem, I think, is the belief that removing 'offensive' words from the PC dictionary will in some way remove the problem of racists and bigots in general, and this is of course nonsense. You won't change attitudes by making some words unspeakable, they'll just start using different words instead until they themselves get banned. I can see a feeble and pointless pattern emerging.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:04 
Sitting balls-back folder

Plissken wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
It's because it's only ever been used in a racist context.

Citation needed, or it didn't happen.

Go to YouTube, look for Amir Khans fight at the weekend and read the comments.
I'd expect that looking anywhere on the internet would lend credibility to my statement.

Edit: By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you, comical, I just answered your question.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:06 

LewieP wrote:
Oh, whilst we are in this area, I hate it when people say they are a certain nationalilty when they have never even been to that country.

Like, I know someone who's mum (not dad) is from Italy. She has never been to Italy. She claims to be Italian.

My response is to claim to be of Pangian nationality.

The entirety of America ladies and gentlemen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:10 
UltraMod

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Everyone is 'coloured',

I thought being white meant the absence of colour? Hence we're white and everyone else is coloured. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 
Skillmeister

LewieP wrote:
Oh, whilst we are in this area, I hate it when people say they are a certain nationalilty when they have never even been to that country.

Like, I know someone who's mum (not dad) is from Italy. She has never been to Italy. She claims to be Italian.

Funnily this is what's irritating me the most about Mercenaries 2 with the "Swede" character. "This is an emergency! A viking emergency!" he slurs in a texan(?) accent as he hijacks a vehicle. FUCK OFF! YOU ARE NOT A VIKING! YOU ARE NO MORE A VIKING THAN ME!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:11 
Awesome
Yes

But we're not white, we're pink-ish (or perma-orange)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Russ wrote:

I thought white was supposed to be 'all colours'.

However white is a colour, and so we are 'coloured' white. See?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:14 
INFINITE POWAH

Dimrill wrote:
YOU ARE NO MORE A VIKING THAN ME!

Given our country's history, you're probably *quite* viking though, compared to the global background level of vikingitude.

Isn't that lovely?

Mr Russ wrote:

Just like black people aren't black.

Malc

Words are more than just literal meanings. That's how you can stir a mob to racial hatred without going near any abusive epithets, and how a poem or song can bring someone to tears. Words are not just words.

If "paki" is just a short four letter abbreviation to you, and you can't understand how a term can be loaded with history, motive and context, then I don't know. Maybe you're on the autistic spectrum, or you're a sociopath. Words are termed "emotive" for a reason. They stir emotions in people. They're tainted, and they have a power to inflict upset beyond "noun, abbrev. ('Pakistani')."

It's not enough to pay lip-service to social standards while inwardly considering it foolish and beneath you- that shows a dangerously naive lack of understanding of the political tensions involved. You need to understand and accept that some words are offensive, no matter how simple their etymology may appear to a logical mind. Logic is fine for computers, not so great for people who live in a world full of people with emotions and prejudices.

Awesome
Yes

Aye, but back to words!

myoptika wrote:
Hence we're white and everyone else is coloured.

What about mullatoes*? Curiously in 'Birth of a Nation' it's that role that is probably presented in the most degrading manner, presumbly due to the inherent ambiguity.

I really don't know if that's as bad as the n- word, mainly because it relies on one knowing what it means.

* Er, correct plural?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 
Gogmagog

In thingymadoodah in the caribbean, tehre were something like 128 definitions of how 'coloured' someone was.

Also, Britiain only really moved to abolish the slave trade to fuck up France's massive percunary advantage from the Carribean.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

AceAceBaby wrote:
You need to understand and accept that some words are offensive,

You upset me, because you're one of these people who argue but fail to read everything you're responding to. I ALREADY SAID I recognise and accept that some words are considered offensive.

Me, just minutes ago wrote:
I am not ignorant of how words are perceived, obviously. I don't go around calling Pakistani's 'pakis', because I personally deem it to be a reasonable abbreviation of a word. I understand which words are considered 'offensive', and thusly I don't use them.

See?

Quote:
Words are more than just literal meanings

Words are nothing but literal meanings in and of themselves. A statement which I've made already.

I understand that words in a particular social context are deemed offensive. I've already said that too.

So your apparent accusation of me being naive or sociopathic is completely non-applicable and more than a bit silly. You're not actually comprehending me. I know that paki is considered offensive and why it is considered so. What I am saying is that, by itself, it's a perfectly valid abbreviation.

You're right in one aspect, I do ignore 'political tensions'. To me that's just people who are ready to take offense at almost anything, regardless of context for no reason, as an excuse for a more deeply rooted problem that has nothing to do with the words used. It's a form of bullshit that does not sit well with me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:28 
INFINITE POWAH

I know, let's add in the widespread use of the word "gay" as a negative adjective as well. Let's set this puppy on *fire*.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:30 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
So your apparent accusation of me being naive or sociopathic is completely non-applicable and more than a bit silly. You're not actually comprehending me. I know that paki is considered offensive and why it is considered so. What I am saying is that, by itself, it's a perfectly valid abbreviation.

No, it really isn't. and your failure to understand that is the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:31 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

No, it really isn't.

Without context it is, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:32 
Hibernating Druid

myoptika wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Everyone is 'coloured',

I thought being white meant the absence of colour? Hence we're white and everyone else is coloured. ;)

You turned Goth now Myps?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

Gay people are happy to be termed 'gay', as far as I know. I don't know what the official dictionary definitions are like these days, but I'd rather consider it to be a second meaning for an existing word (the word 'gay' previously meaning 'happy, lighthearted'), rather than the replacement of the first definition.

That being the case I can't see how a gay person would be offended if you called them gay. It'd be like calling you male, Chris.

If someone called me 'gay', I wouldn't be offended, I'd just think the originating user is an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:33 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

No, it really isn't.

:this: :this: :this: :this: :this: and is the point I've been making from the start. Hnnnnnng.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:34 
Kvnt

I absolutely hate the American spelling of 'faggot' (which is 'faget') with every fibre of my being. It sounds even more moronic, somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:34 
Not to be confused with elbow

I am very white, I could do a Daz advert. I am also anaemic :/ so 'coloured' doesn't really apply here

I hate the word Faggot used for gays aswell, because I happen to eat faggots

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:37 

Mr Chris wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

No, it really isn't.

It's never without context. Its context is burned in decades of racist attacks. The moment a human being utters a word they give it context. It's no good sitting there thinking "well it's obviously just an abbreviation, I don't see what the fuss is all about but I won't use it because all those dearies get upset". Seriously. Did I wander into the Daily Mail readers forums by mistake? "I don't understand why all these darkies get upset. Darkie's just a word for someone who's darker and they are so it's obviously just a descriptive noun."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:38 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Given our country's history, you're probably *quite* viking though, compared to the global background level of vikingitude.

I am. Its why when I get really wound up I have a terrible urge to rape and burn down villages.

And then build flat-pack furniture.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 
Hibernating Druid

Shin wrote:
I happen to eat faggots

With extra Mince and a Ginger Beer?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:39 
INFINITE POWAH

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Gay people are happy to be termed 'gay', as far as I know. I don't know what the official dictionary definitions are like these days, but I'd rather consider it to be a second meaning for an existing word (the word 'gay' previously meaning 'happy, lighthearted'), rather than the replacement of the first definition.

That being the case I can't see how a gay person would be offended if you called them gay. It'd be like calling you male, Chris.

If someone called me 'gay', I wouldn't be offended, I'd just think the originating user is an idiot.

I meant people saying stuff like "Man, that's so gay" when their teacher tells them they have to do homework. Or the control system in a computer game being totally gay. That sort of thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 
Legendary Boogeyman

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Paki

Quote:
Usage notes

The abbreviation Paki acquired offensive connotations in the 1960s when used by British tabloids to refer to subjects of former colony states in a derogatory and racist manner. In modern British usage "Paki" is typically used in a derogatory way as a label for all South Asians, including Indians, Afghans and Bangladeshis. To a lesser extent, the term has been applied as a racial slur towards Arabs and other Middle Eastern-looking groups who may resemble South Asians. During the 60's many emigrants were also dubbed as "black" to further segregrate them from the white community. Some would say such a division still exists in parts of England

In recent times there has been a trend by second and third-generation British Pakistanis to reclaim the word. The word has been turned into a keepsake for the young British Pakistani community that is not acceptable for someone outside the community to say it, including Indians and Bangladeshis.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:41 

Zardoz wrote:
Shin wrote:
I happen to eat faggots

With extra Mince and a Ginger Beer?

:DD
EDIT: Sadly, I shall never hear my nan saying, 'Go on 'ania, eat up those faggots'

God bless you Rhea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 

Pejorative use of "gay" is mostly used by homophobes. They like that it's widespread by ignorant teenagers on the internets because it means they can comfortably flex their hate without seeming to be obviously more offensive.

Tomorrow we can laugh at why nonsensical made up words like "nignog" and "chinky" could ever be offensive. Tsk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:42 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

No, it really isn't.

It's never without context. Its context is burned in decades of racist attacks. The moment a human being utters a word they give it context.

Noone has disagreed with that though. I think comical's point was that it's that context itself that makes the word offensive, not anything inherent in those four letters. We're actually all agreeing with each other here.

Quote:
Seriously. Did I wander into the Daily Mail readers forums by mistake? "I don't understand why all these darkies get upset. Darkie's just a word for someone who's darker and they are so it's obviously just a descriptive noun."

Given that you've complained about me extrapolating from your posts before, do us the courtesy of not doing the same, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:45 
Legendary Boogeyman

AceAceBaby wrote:
Tomorrow we can laugh at why nonsensical made up words like "nignog" and "chinky" could ever be offensive. Tsk.[/color]

Lets. Neither of the above words have a possible definition beyond that of a racial slur, and were in fact created for that purpose, whereas 'Paki' is a valid word as an abbreviation. If it word was 'Pakidingydingdong', or some other random nonsense that was only ever used in an offensive way, then I might agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:48 
INFINITE POWAH

AceAceBaby wrote:
[color=#400080]Pejorative use of "gay" is mostly used by homophobes. They like that it's widespread by ignorant teenagers on the internets because it means they can comfortably flex their hate without seeming to be obviously more offensive.

I'm always surprised that people actually hate gay people. I mean, what's there to hate? It's not like gay chaps and chappesses are forcing straight people to do gay sexings with them. And they're not "coming over here taking our jerrrrbs", either. It's as bizarre as racism. There's at least some semblance of reasoning (however outdated and warped) behind people hating the Germans, after all they bombed us first etc etc. But gays?

However, I suspect "gay" as a pejorative term is going to end up as a part of the language divorced from its last meaning, the same way as it moved from just meaning "happy or cheerful" to meaning "homosexual". I'd be willing to bet that in 30 years time no-one will remember that it used to mean "homosexual".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

If only we had some Pakidingydingdongs Pakistani persons on the board, we could ask them what the current thinking was.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:56 
baron of techno

Klatrymadon wrote:
An old woman sitting next to me on a coach a few weeks ago referred to black people as "folks of the Colour Fraternity".

I laughed and cried at the same time, of course, but I'm still debating whether or not I should have called her out on that bullshit. She was old, like.

Quite. My grandad still says 'darkies'. In context too, he was in Nigeria earlier in the year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:57 
INFINITE POWAH

Comical, you clearly hate black people, eastern europeans, asians, and south-east asians and martians. You are a massive racist who does everything he can to belittle those of other ethnicities and doubtless you give them a good shoeing whenever you can get away with it. You're a massive, massive cunt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:58 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
Comical, you clearly hate black people, eastern europeans, asians, and south-east asians and martians. You are a massive racist who does everything he can to belittle those of other ethnicities and doubtless you give them a good shoeing whenever you can get away with it. You're a massive, massive cunt.

I hereby ban all of the above words as I consider them offensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:00 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Mr Chris wrote:
Comical, you clearly hate everyone.

FTFY :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:01 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
Tomorrow we can laugh at why nonsensical made up words like "nignog" and "chinky" could ever be offensive. Tsk.[/color]

Lets. Neither of the above words have a possible definition beyond that of a racial slur, and were in fact created for that purpose, whereas 'Paki' is a valid word as an abbreviation. If it word was 'Pakidingydingdong', or some other random nonsense that was only ever used in an offensive way, then I might agree with you.

I am going to phone a friend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:03 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

I am going to phone a friend.

PICK ME!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:05 

MaliA wrote:

PICK ME!

I mean a friend from Pakistan. Unless you are from Pakistan, in which case I will call you. I was going to phone him anyway to arrange something for another friend's birthday, but I am going to ask about the 'Paki' issue whilst I do so.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:06 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

PICK ME!

I mean a friend from Pakistan. Unless you are from Pakistan, in which case I will call you. I was going to phone him anyway to arrange something for another friend's birthday, but I am going to ask about the 'Paki' issue whilst I do so.

Racist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:07 
Legendary Boogeyman

Actually I'd be interested to hear about that, Mimi :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:08 
Gogmagog

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Actually I'd be interested to hear about that Mimi :)

Mimi is a lady that has monkey and Zombees and likes Viva Pinata and penguins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:09 
Excellent Painter

Mr Chris wrote:
LewieP wrote:

Ahahahaha. This harks back to a long argument on WoS about the definition of "nationality".

It gets mixed up with "ethnicity" quite a lot, hence people whose parents are Irish but who were born in the UK calling themselves "half-Irish". I am, for example, and I'm entitled to an Irish passport. So... I'm probably half-Irish, then.

And then when I get an Irish passport... I'm Irish. Aaah.

Didn't the public records office in Ireland get destroyed by fire at the start of the last century, basically wiping out all records of people born prior to that time and consequently making it just about the easiest passport to get hold of. There are >40m Irish passports in circulation, allegedly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:09 

I know my friends don't like the term, but that's because it's normally hurled at her from cars :/ bastards!

I'll ask her whether it's okay to say it in a normal tone, but I'm afraid it'll get the same response.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:13 
Excellent Painter

Mr Chris wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

More so if he has Scottish ancestry, as that was closest and most readily invaded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:13 
Legendary Boogeyman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 292265.stm

Now *this* is an example of poor usage ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:15 
Gogmagog

ComicalGnomes wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7292265.stm

Now *this* is an example of poor usage ;)

Geographically speaking, certainly....

Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next