Skillmeister

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Guwuffle wins x 88.

Ho ho! Racists-FTFY.

Post subject: Re: Wordban
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:34 
SavyGamer

So the story of how I was called a Cracker:

I was working at a cinema over Christmas (the Odeon in the Trafford Centre, fact fans) selling popcorn and drinks and stuff.

A black man, around 40 came up to the desk with his family, first he tried to get one of my colleagues to serve him, but he didn't want to queue up, so just walked past the queue and started ordering, my colleague explained that there was a queue, he was fairly rude, but eventually just joined the queue (in front of my till).

He got to the front, I said "Hello sir, how can I help?"

He said, fairly rudely, "Get me 2 large sweet popcorns, a hot dog, and a bag of M&Ms", so I got them for him then said "Anything else?", he said "Get me a 7up, Cracker"

I didn't quite clock what he had said at first, it was the last thing in the world that I had ever expected to hear. I didn't get him his 7up, I just went and explained what happened to my supervisor, and said that I wasn't upset or angry or anything, I just thought I should say. He got someone else to serve him, and said that they would keep an eye on him and his group, and would kick them out if anything else happened.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:38 
Not to be confused with elbow

Oh god, that's not good!

I always thought cracker (other than meaning something you have with cheese) was as if you had said a good joke and it was a 'cracker!'

God, I'm going to have to be bloody careful with what I say to people in future :s everyone knows I'm not from round here though so hopefully they'll just think I'm being odd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:42 
Hibernating Druid

AceAceBaby wrote:
Words to add to the killy list: bezzie, burny.[/color]

Yor zo ghey dewd

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:09 
Excellent Member

I got racially abused and spat on playing football, which was... interesting.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:16 

Are you Rudi Voller or Frank Rijkaard?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:36 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:
I didn't quite clock what he had said at first, it was the last thing in the world that I had ever expected to hear. I didn't get him his 7up, I just went and explained what happened to my supervisor, and said that I wasn't upset or angry or anything, I just thought I should say. He got someone else to serve him, and said that they would keep an eye on him and his group, and would kick them out if anything else happened.

The only thing that upsets me about this story Lewie was that if the customer was white, and the serving person black, and the customer said 'Get me a 7-up, nigger', I'm in no doubt that the customer would have been thrown out and very possibly the police called.

That's assuming 'cracker' is antonymous to 'nigger' as a racial slur.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:55 
SavyGamer

ComicalGnomes wrote:
LewieP wrote:

The only thing that upsets me about this story Lewie was that if the customer was white, and the serving person black, and the customer said 'Get me a 7-up, nigger', I'm in no doubt that the customer would have been thrown out and very possibly the police called.

That's assuming 'cracker' is antonymous to 'nigger' as a racial slur.

I thought about this, but actually, knowing the management at the cinema, I think they would have acted similarly in a reversed scenario.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:58 
Legendary Boogeyman

I've only been to the odeon at the trafford centre a couple of times. On one of those I walked out after 5 minutes and demanded a refund. The whole place is chock full of bloody scallies ;)

I now go to the printworks odeon instead, chavs can't afford the Gallery.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 17:04 
That Rev Chap

Our local Odeon does assigned seating. So we never go there. Also, all the screens are tiny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 17:05 

Shin wrote:
Oh god, that's not good!

I always thought cracker (other than meaning something you have with cheese) was as if you had said a good joke and it was a 'cracker!'

It was until the niggers got hold of it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 18:34 
Worst

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I've only been to the odeon at the trafford centre a couple of times. On one of those I walked out after 5 minutes and demanded a refund. The whole place is chock full of bloody scallies ;)

I rarely had cause to leave the Cornerhouse in my days of 'studying', other than when Apocalypse Now Redux came out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 19:03 
SavyGamer

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Same, I watched Rocknrolla (not particularly good) in the gallery on Sunday, but then the jalapeños on the nachos made me ill...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 19:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Rev Owen wrote:
Our local Odeon does assigned seating. So we never go there. Also, all the screens are tiny.

Assigned seating is brilliant, because it means you can book online, then turn up just as the adverts finish and still get a good seat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 19:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Same, I watched Rocknrolla (not particularly good) in the gallery on Sunday, but then the jalapeños on the nachos made me ill...

I turn up early and GORGE myself on nachos and popcorn. It's all about VFM, something which I think you will appreciate :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:57 

LewieP wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Oh no! I watched Rocknrolla tonight and though it was great! Mind you, I loved Lock stock, Mean Machine and the rest aswell-I was going to say 'I love Snatch,' but I was told off for saying that earlier in front of people as I forgot it's another name for the 'garden of venus' :s

I love the Odeon in Exeter, it's great, last film I saw there was Garfield...not so great

EDIT: I keep saying bloody 'Rollacola,' which I'm sure is a sweet! I also get into Cineworld cinema's for free as Pru works there, I just pay for her to have ice cream :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 0:03 
SavyGamer

It needed Vinnie Jones.

Ok, that was sarcastic. It had some funny moments, but a whole bunch of filler, and it was no way near as clever as it liked to think it was.

And the set up for the sequel was a real spit in the eye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 0:05 

LewieP wrote:
It needed Vinnie Jones.

Ok, that was sarcastic. It had some funny moments, but a whole bunch of filler, and it was no way near as clever as it liked to think it was.

And the set up for the sequel was a real spit in the eye.

I do agree with the sequel part, I don't really see how there can be a successful one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:33 

I like Lock stock. I really like Snatch (stop it).

Revolver was hideous. It was massively over produced. Guy Richie needs someone strong enough to say "Look, just stop fucking about with this now. Forget that voice over, drop that shitty animation!" from time to time.

Has he got the for the new one or is it 45 minutes too long with a stupid animated sequence too?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:59 
Excellent Member

Joans wrote:
Are you Rudi Voller or Frank Rijkaard?

Nah. Just I don't take any shit when on the pitch.

My blog at the time wrote:
I thought this was supposed to be fun?

Now, anyone who knows me, knows I'm not exactly a shrinking violet in the mouth department. In fact, I'm bloody competitive, too competitive in fact. But I'm simultaneously proud and embarassed by what went on tonight.

I play football every week, with a few mates in an organised league. To be frank, we're out of our depth most weeks, I can hold my own, a couple of others can, but to be brutal a couple of us can't. But we turn up, get beat, enjoy ourselves, feel a bit fitter and go home. The pitch is fully enclosed by boards, so the ball is always in motion, no passes over head height, keep on your feet at all times. That sort of thing.

One of the teams in our league, ISS Pros, we have played three times, including tonight. The previous two occasions, we've had our players assaulted on the pitch. Basically, this bunch of scallies - and they typify scallies - can hand it out in spades, but can't take it at all. I mean even breathing on them and they are bitching to the ref.

We've complained to the management about them - the pity is there are a couple of players who are far too good for this league - and after a brawl the other week, they were given a final warning. One player has been banned for headbutting and given #100 fine.

So up comes the fixture list, and we're playing ISS Pros. Great. We know what we are in for. And then the ref shows up, and to be honest, he is a terrible ref. He just won't clamp down on the rough stuff.

With ISS, there is one lad, who typifies small man syndrome. First to wade in with the elbows, and first to scream at his friends to help him get out of trouble when he gets into it. Me and him have crossed paths before. He can't deal with my mouth, I just get under his skin. And the more he loses it, the more I wind him up.

Anyway, on he trots about 10 minutes in, and I receive the ball in the corner. He came flying in, with an elbow right in the back. I held him off, but he just climbed around me. Excellent, I thought, and simply tripped him up. He put his leg out, I took it away, he went to the floor.

Free kick our way. The ref called us both over, and I keep quiet while little shit moans and groans. Ref ends the conversation with "you started it". He also tells me to keep my hands down. Fair enough...like that was the problem.

Couple more against the boards, but he has learned his lesson and I usually come away with the ball. He is getting frustrated and begins to run across and into me. I'm not exactly Mr Universe, more a life model for a Lowry painting, but I can handle him easily enough.

I've followed ice hockey for over a decade, and you don't do that without learning something. What I have learned is how to hit, and be hit, against the boards. Little Shit sees his opportunity, and goes to check me against the boards. Big mistake, I lower myself, use his momentum against him and, well, he is smeared up against the wall.

The best thing is, shoulder to shoulder contact is completely legal. Little Shits teammate comes steaming in, I avoid it, and the opposition are yelling "if you don't do something ref, I'm gonna punch him".

Bring it on, fucker.

Another chat. Little Shit moans and groans, I keep quiet. Ref has no chance to talk to me about the challenge 'cos he's too busy dealing with the opposition. The scallies on the sidelines are yelling that they'll kill me, and for some, stupid reason, I point to my shoulder to indicate a fair check.

Well, it is in hockey.

A couple of minutes later, I dispossess Little Shit once more, and play a nice ball up the left wing. And suddenly I hear "ptooey".

Alex shouts "did he do what I think he did?"

Yep, I've just been spat on, as he ran for a substitution. On comes a big guy.

Oh-oh.

I ask the ref how long left. Five minutes.

In hockey parlance, this is "drop the gloves time", when the game begins to kick off with fights. Hmmm...

I'm in total concentration now, very aware of everything around me. Enough to hear the shouts of

"Longhaired white cunt"

coming from the sidelines. Not once, but repeatedly.

Now, what am I supposed to do with that? If I shouted "Black cunt" back, then I'd have the whole lot of them jumping on me, and quite rightly so. I look at the ref. He knows. He knows I know. I know he ain't going to do a thing about it. He knows I know that, too.

OK, I've got five minutes here. And I manage to last, though a couple of elbows head my way. But I struggle through, break up a couple of attacks. I collect the ball, begin to run and realise I'm about two feet from the right boards. Big Fucker spots me and hares across the pitch.

Slow motion. It's all a matter of timing. Forget the ball, that is now irrelevant. Wait, here he comes, wait... he ain't stopping... turn to face him and keep moving...wait...and...

Spin.

180 degrees.

Blam. He goes into the boards, face first and crumples to the ground.

I'd opened up my left shoulder to him and like the big ox, he was aiming for it. Shortest path between two points. The problem - for him at least - is, I can turn on a dime. Imagine a bull and a matadors cloak, my shoulder is there one second, gone the next. And he is smeared against the boards. I did get caught, but only because my arm in the turn caught on the chickenwire.

And the ref blew for a foul on me. Bonus.

The game finishes. I shake nobodys hand. I hang around for a while, chatting to the ref, the other players. I choose my moment to go to the dressing room, without incident.

I had contributed to my own problems, and I fully admit that. But it is a red rag to a bull in my case, if someone can dish it out but not take it.

But why should I have to deal with being spat on and racially abused?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:22 
INFINITE POWAH

LewieP wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

A review said "Richie's best film since Snatch".

I wasn't aware he'd done anything at all since Snatch except direct one of his horse-faced wife's music videos?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:25 

Mr Chris wrote:
LewieP wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

I wasn't aware he'd done anything at all since Snatch except direct one of his horse-faced wife's music videos?

Snatch, Lock Stock, Mean Machine and now this new one Rocknrolla I think. I keep going to say Rollacola! Ffs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Lock stock first, then snatch.. but not heard of "mean machine". I assume it was another crap cockney film.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Lock stock first, then snatch.. but not heard of "mean machine". I assume it was another crap cockney film.

It's a remake of a (1960s, I think) film, with Prisoners playing Guards in a football match at a prison, with Vinny "Honestly, I'm a proper serious actor now, and everything" Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh. It can fuck off down the same hole as his other films then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:32 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Oh. It can fuck off down the same hole as his other films then.

Somewhat bizzarely, I do believe his son is in the army now, I recall reading it in one of the tabloids the other week.

So, in 1 year, his son would have earnt 500x his father's acting fees.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:34 
Excellent Member

Idris Elba of The Wire & Ultraviolet is in Rock n Rolla. There my interest ends.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:03 

Mr Chris wrote:
LewieP wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Also Revolver, which I mentioned earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Nope, never heard of that either.

Mr Madonna's obviously been a bit low key.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:19 
Excellent Painter

I'm pretty certain Mandonna didn't direct Mean Machine but can't be arsed checking imdb.

So, Lock Stock, Snatch, Swept Away, Revolver then his new one seems to be his output.

Swept Away is apparently so bad it's funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:24 
Excellent Member

You might want to download Kermodes review of RocknRolla from the 5 Live website. A full on classic rant.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

I'm sick to fucking shit of 'cockney geeeezzzzah' films, where the protagonists are a bunch of london blokes, either in london or abroad, getting up to comedy crime where you hope they win 'coz they're nice people really.

Things like 'The Business', and even 'Layer Cake' (which I liked), are just tired imitations of Lock Stock, and none since have captured half the popularity.

Fuck off London. Why is everything set in or about London? Fuck sake.

This is why trainspotting remains ace, it features Scottish people! Oh, but the main character DOES move to London for a bit. Where else COULD he go? Based on TV, nowhere else seems to exist in the UK.

Grumble fucking london grumble.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:25 
Gogmagog

Kes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:26 
Excellent Painter

If you haven't seen it, watch In Bruges. That's based in Belgium :DD

It's very funny and very good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 

That film about the rubbish male strippers, and 'Brassed Off'.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:27 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
That film about the rubbish male strippers, and 'Brassed Off'.

'The Full Monty' was the first film that I went on on a proper date, doncha know.

EDIT: If mimi DID know then I would be worried.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:30 
Excellent Member

I have no idea why they even bother with a London gangster film. The Long Good Friday was done in 1979 and will never, ever be bettered.

INFINITE POWAH

Get Carter wasn't in London. Mostly.

Gogmagog

Plissken wrote:
I have no idea why they even bother with a London gangster film. The Long Good Friday was done in 1979 and will never, ever be bettered.

And Helen Mirrim gets her baps out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 14:08 
Kvnt

Quote:
The Long Good Friday was done in 1979 and will never, ever be bettered.

Well, maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 14:51 
Kvnt

Getting back to the topic at hand, I may have covered the commonly-used-but-entirely-incorrect "somewhat of" before, but basically, "somewhat" and "something of" are acceptable forms, and "somewhat of" is a silly confusing of the two which seems to have been accepted by many as the correct usage.

YEA:

"Klatrymadon is something of a stickler for syntactical correctness."
"Klatrymadon is being somewhat deliberately snobby about this sort of thing."

NAY:

"Klatrymadon is somewhat of an arse."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 14:54 
INFINITE POWAH

Klatrymadon wrote:
Getting back to the topic at hand, I may have covered the commonly-used-but-entirely-incorrect "somewhat of" before, but basically, "somewhat" and "something of" are acceptable forms, and "somewhat of" is a silly confusing of the two which seems to have been accepted by many as the correct usage.

YEA:

"Klatrymadon is something of a stickler for syntactical correctness."
"Klatrymadon is being somewhat deliberately snobby about this sort of thing."

NAY:

"Klatrymadon is somewhat of an arse."

AGREED.

Have we covered the regrettable "would/could/should of" yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 14:57 

You should of by now.

*grabs coat on way to exit*

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:08 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MaliA wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

It's a remake of a (1960s, I think) film, with Prisoners playing Guards in a football match at a prison, with Vinny "Honestly, I'm a proper serious actor now, and everything" Jones.

Is Mean Machine a remake? Because The Longest Yard is a (American) remake of Mean Machine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:13 

It looks like The Longest Yard is a remake of The Longest Yard which Mean Machine was a remake of.

I think.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:16 
Hibernating Druid

Mr Chris wrote:
Have we covered the regrettable "would/could/should of" yet?

The last words of a fool there.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:41 
Son of a Reaperman

Is it so hard to make an English gangster film that doesn't make my toes curl up in embarrassment? Get Carter and The Long Good Friday (although I don't think either are particularly amazing) are the only two I can think of that have been any good. The Americans have had Goodfellas, Casino, Godfather I & 2, Carlito's Way, Scarface... why can't we do it? I have to say, the minute I hear a bad cockney accent in a film, I pretty much want to switch off straight away. Americans presumably don't feel the same way about Al Pacino etc. because they actually speak like that in real life. Do we not have any decent, working class actors in this country?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:43 
INFINITE POWAH

Unless and until they set a gangster film in Birmingham your dream will remain unrealised, tmuk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:51 
Excellent Painter

How about Villain?
Gangster No 1

ummm, there are more, I'm sure, but they're both good

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 15:56 
Son of a Reaperman

Gangster No.1 was quite good, I'll give you that.
The Krays is quite the worst film ever made.

Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next