Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wordban
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:17 
UltraMod

He's going to kill some Afghans, surely? Poor pups.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:20 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

DBSnappa wrote:
Didn't the public records office in Ireland get destroyed by fire at the start of the last century, basically wiping out all records of people born prior to that time and consequently making it just about the easiest passport to get hold of. There are >40m Irish passports in circulation, allegedly.

Yeah, it caught on fire in the Irish Civil War in 1923.

I agree with CG in that there is nothing necessarily inherently bad about the word 'paki' as a shortening of pakistani, but you can't really remove it from its history and previous usage. Same as if you call a black Alabaman 'boy' - the word can be used innocently in other situations, but the history and implications mean you're going to get a funny look or two.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:24 
INFINITE POWAH

Squirt wrote:
I agree with CG in that there is nothing necessarily inherently bad about the word 'paki' as a shortening of pakistani

RACIST.

A chap can spend his whole life treating everyone of every ethnicity exactly the same, and being nice to everyone, but if he queries the usage of a word he'll suddenly turn into a massive Daily Mail reading racist. It's a dangerous trap to fall into, man. Be careful.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:25 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
Honestly, a chap can spend his whole life treating everyone of every ethncity exactly the same

Yes, I hate you all, colour-irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:38 
Excellent Member

MaliA wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7292265.stm

Now *this* is an example of poor usage ;)

Geographically speaking, certainly....

Incredibly crass thing for a soldier to say, but not that inaccurate given the involvement of Pakistanis in the conflict as they can easily cross the border into Afghanistan. Perhaps he was going to be really selective in who he shot at.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:43 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

Nope, he was actually saying how he was going to shoot a specific individual called Mr Patrick Keys. He just shortened the name, and confusion arose when he was slightly misheard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 13:59 

OK, I phoned him up and he said of course, he'd love to give me a lift :) See, another good thing about having a lot of muslim friends is that someone is always happy to be designated driver when you go out drinking for a friend's birthday.

Anyway, that wasn't the part I said I'd let you know about.

Yes, he said 'of course' most people find it offensive, because it was used offensively. There was no history of Pakistani people calling themselves 'Pakis' before coming to the UK, and it was used offensively by white people towards people from Pakistan. I remember when I first came to London and hearing kids say it to any asian person, because of stupid racist parents. The majority of people around the part of Wembley where I went to school are Indian, not Pakistani, but they'd all be called Paki.

Anyway, yes, most Pakistani people find it offensive because of the way it was and still is used by horrible people. Some of Zahid's cousins, in their teens now call each other 'Paki' much like some back people call each other 'nigger', he said - like they are taking the word for their own, but still, a white person saying the word almost always means it in a racist way, he believes, and as such they find it offensive. He doesn't like the fact that his cousins use it among themselves, he thinks that it is just posturing and that it makes non-racist white people who they use it so vocally around feel uncomfortable, and the people it makes feel uncomfortable are not the ones that need to rethink the usage, because they aren't the ones who'd use the word (offensively) in the first place.

Certainly, it isn't a word I would ever use.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:07 
Isn't that lovely?

MaliA wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Actually I'd be interested to hear about that Mimi :)

Mimi is a lady that has monkey and Zombees and likes Viva Pinata and penguins.

LOL

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:11 

Hehe, I just got it. I luffed!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:17 
What-ho, chaps!

Quote:
Funnily this is what's irritating me the most about Mercenaries 2 with the "Swede" character. "This is an emergency! A viking emergency!" he slurs in a texan(?) accent as he hijacks a vehicle. FUCK OFF! YOU ARE NOT A VIKING! YOU ARE NO MORE A VIKING THAN ME!

Who says he's not a viking? MMM?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:18 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:

I'm still upset my Barrister/Barista joke failed to get the acclaimation it deserved. I spent minutes writing that one.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:19 
SavyGamer

I should tell the story of when I was called "cracker"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:20 
Legendary Boogeyman

LewieP wrote:
I should tell the story of when I was called "cracker"

If someone called me a cracker I'd probably burst out laughing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:20 
making out to faces of death

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I'm still upset my Barrister/Barista joke failed to get the acclaimation it deserved. I spent minutes writing that one.

I laughed at that one.

Words to add to the killy list: bezzie, burny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:24 

What does cracker mean?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:25 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
What does cracker mean?

I think:

White guy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

It's allegedly a racial slur against white people, as obviously the colour is similar. Again, I'd find this more stupid than offensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:26 
INFINITE POWAH

Mimi wrote:
What does cracker mean?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:28 
INFINITE POWAH

ComicalGnomes wrote:
It's allegedly a racial slur against white people, as obviously the colour is similar. Again, I'd find this more stupid than offensive.

Yeah, but white people have not historically been oppressed and enslaved by black people, so it was somewhat unlikely to have taken on the same negativity as words like "n*gger". It never having been used by a black guy raping your great granddad's wife on the cotton field, fer'instance...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:28 
Not to be confused with elbow

I've been called a biscuit before

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Shin wrote:

Isn't that a compliment meaning "hottie", or there or thereabouts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:30 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:

Crumbs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:30 

Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:

Isn't that a compliment meaning "hottie", or there or thereabouts?

I have no idea- don't understand modern slang, there's too much. I was intrigued by it though, I did wonder what kind of biscuit I'd be. Jammy dodger I was hoping for

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:31 
Kvnt

I always assumed the 'cracker' insult was a reference to whip cracking. How wide of the mark am I?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:32 
INFINITE POWAH

Shin wrote:
I did wonder what kind of biscuit I'd be. Jammy dodger I was hoping for

Pull your halves apart and you're all sticky in the middle?

Sorry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:32 
Gogmagog

Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:
I did wonder what kind of biscuit I'd be. Jammy dodger I was hoping for

Pull your halves apart and you're all sticky in the middle?

MR CHRIS!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:33 
Isn't that lovely?

ComicalGnomes wrote:

I was of the understanding it was someone who cracked the whip on the slave.

Malc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Klatrymadon wrote:
I always assumed the 'cracker' insult was a reference to whip cracking. How wide of the mark am I?

According to our friend wikipaedia,

Quote:
There are various theories concerning the origin of the term "cracker".

The term "cracker" was in use during Elizabethan times to describe braggarts. The original root of this is the Middle English word crack1 meaning "entertaining conversation" (One may be said to "crack" a joke); this term and the alternate spelling "craic" are still in use in Ireland and Scotland. It is documented in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?"

By the 1760s, this term was in use by the English in the British North American colonies to refer to Scots-Irish settlers in the south. A letter to the Earl of Dartmouth reads: "I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by Crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas, and Georgia, who often change their places of abode". A similar usage was that of Charles Darwin in his introduction to The Origin of Species, to refer to "Virginia squatters" (illegal settlers). [1]

Spaniards in Florida called them “Quáqueros,” a corruption of the English word “Quaker,” which the Spanish used to contemptuously refer to any Protestant. [2]

Other possible origins of the term "cracker" are linked to early Florida cattle herders (Florida crackers) that traditionally used whips to herd wild Spanish cattle. These cowboys were distinct from the Spanish vaqueros of Florida. The crack of the herders' whips could be heard for great distances when they were used to round cattle in pens and to keep the cows on a given track. Also, "cracker" has historically been used to refer to those engaged in the low paying job of cracking pecans and other nuts in Georgia and throughout the southeast U.S.

According to the 1911 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica, "cracker" is a term of contempt for the "poor" or "mean whites," particularly of Georgia and Florida. Britannica notes that the term dates back to the American Revolution, and is derived from the "cracked corn" which formed their staple food. [3] (Note that in British English "mean" is also a term for poverty, with no malice implied.)

Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education. Historians point out the term originally referred to the strong Scots-Irish of the back country (as opposed to the English of the seacoast). Thus a sociologist reported in 1926: "As the plantations expanded these freed men (formerly bond servants) were pushed further and further back upon the more and more sterile soil. They became 'pinelanders', 'corn-crackers', or 'crackers'."

No mention of whips and slaves, as one would have expected, but it does mention whips and cattle. I do like the bit about Darwin and squatters. And nuts.

EDIT - ooh, scrolling down a bit, apprently there is a "folk etymology" about slavers:

Quote:
Folk Etymology

There is also an apocryphal belief that the term dates back to slavery in the antebellum South. The popular folk etymology is based on slaver foremen using bullwhips to discipline African and African American slaves, and the sound of the whip being described as 'cracking the whip'. The foremen who cracked these whips are believed to have been known as 'crackers'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:35 
Legendary Boogeyman

Fucking hell, you cunts, stop posting so fucking quickly. I clearly know nothing about crackers and and I am one. Cracker.

I think I should stop speaking, in case I cause offense. But then I might offend those who are deaf and dumb, as I could be seen to be mocking them with my silence. But then, perhaps, I really shouldn't call them 'dumb' as this is rather offensive too.

Ultimately I think I need to kill myself to avoid any non-pc overtones, however I must take care to ensure that the manner of my death is not insensitive to those who have been affected by suicide, as I'd be mortified (ho!) to cause offense.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:35 
Gogmagog

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Fucking hell, you cunts, stop posting so fucking quickly. I clearly know nothing about crackers and and I am one. Cracker.

I think I should stop speaking, in case I cause offense. But then I might offend those who are deaf and dumb, as I could be seen to be mocking them with my silence. But then, perhaps, I really shouldn't call them 'dumb' as this is rather offensive too.

Ultimately I think I need to kill myself to avoid any non-pc overtones, however I must take care to ensure that the manner of my death is not insensitive to those who have been affected by suicide, as I'd be mortified (ho!) to cause offense.

Fucking liberal twat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:37 

Mr.C! That was rather rude :D

I always thought Cracker was 'Haha, that joke was a cracker/corker!' That's the way it's used in our house-hold

Edit: MY house-hold, I forget that I live alone (except for the cats)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:37 
Gogmagog

Shin wrote:
Mr.C! That was rather rude :D

I always thought Cracker was 'Haha, that joke was a cracker/corker!' That's the way it's used in our house-hold

bunch of slavers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:38 
Comfortably Dumb

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Be careful not to offend them with accidentally-offensive hand gestures too ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:39 
Gogmagog

devilman wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

Be careful not to offend them with accidentally-offensive hand gestures too ;)

Gayer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:41 
UltraMod

Right, time for you honkies to shut up before I get cross.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:47 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:
Right, time for you honkies to shut up before I get cross.

you're a lynchpin of this board, myp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:48 
Legendary Boogeyman

More like a pinhead, judging by that haircut.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:50 
INFINITE POWAH

That wasn't a pun, comical. you should be burning with shame.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:51 
Excellent Member

Come on now, don't get so flaming cross.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Guwuffle wrote:
Come on now, don't get so flaming cross.

WINNER.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 14:53 
INFINITE POWAH

You don't have a Klu, do you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
You don't have a Klu, do you?

I think if we klan together, we can get to the klux of the probl.... oh nevermind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:01 
INFINITE POWAH

Who'd have thought that making puns out of slavery and racism would be so hard? Tch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:01 
UltraMod

Now, now, there's no need to be so nazi to each other.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:02 
INFINITE POWAH

You're just a dedicated follower of fascism.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:05 
Excellent Member

That may be true, but you don't have to keep Goring on about it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:08 
Legendary Boogeyman

My gf keeps on going on about racism, if she doesn't stop I'm going to have to Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:08 
Lurker

Come on now, NF's NF.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:12 
Excellent Member

Quite, about time you Mosleyed on out of here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 15:12 
Legendary Boogeyman

Guwuffle wins x 10.

Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next