Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Making Money
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:12 
making out to faces of death

It even runs on my little netbook these days. Though I'm in two minds about recommending it or anything, they do seem to have tidied up the orientation.

Someone my dad knew worked in the antarctic, apparently it's massive money if you can bear being at the cold ass end of nowhere for months at a time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:13 

I knew a guy a few years ago on an oil rig. Exact same description and proviso.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 16:23 
Comfortably Dumb

AceAceBaby wrote:
"I'm sorry, due to data protection laws we cannot discuss the matter with anyone but the customer involved" will take some getting past. On Radio 4 this morning they had a woman on who was told to put her seven year old son on the line when she had a complaint to M&S about something she'd ordered for him (and had addressed to him).

I can see why companies do this but it gets on my wick. Last time was when phoning to set up my Mum's TopUp TV account.

"I'm phoning on behalf of my mum as she's deaf and dumb.." etc
"As the account will be in her name, you'll need to put her on the phone so that she can say it's ok"
"But..."

So the account's in my name now...gits.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 17:04 

It's entirely not their fault. They probably don't fancy jail time.

I could phone up and say "I'm calling on behalf of devilman because he's deaf and dumb..." :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 17:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'd like to know how they think you passing them over to someone else who happens to have a woman's voice (as I have to do whenever I phone Virgin on my mum's behalf) somehow constitutes verification of identity.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 17:46 

I imagine it simply transfers the legal burden from them not following the DPA to you committing fraud if it's not the right person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 18:11 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Craster wrote:
I'd like to know how they think you passing them over to someone else who happens to have a woman's voice (as I have to do whenever I phone Virgin on my mum's behalf) somehow constitutes verification of identity.

Dudley wrote:
I imagine it simply transfers the legal burden from them not following the DPA to you committing fraud if it's not the right person.

More likely that they simply haven't thought about it, and are only doing the minimum to make it look like they're going along with the DPA. We were meant to refuse to divulge anything at all when I was at the library - if someone called up to renew a spouse's books (common), the most I'd say was that if there were any books on that card, they would now be due on date x. I'd very rarely confirm or deny whether there were any - it sounds wanky, but I've known stranger things for people to be snooping and/or manipulating their spouses over. Kids are another matter, though - if they're under a certain age, their parents would have signed on their behalf anyway, so it's not technically their account.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 18:39 

Technically you're not even allowed to tell them they have a library card.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 18:49 
Legendary Boogeyman

Dudley wrote:

Would depend on whether that's considered 'sensitive personal information', and is arguable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 19:08 
Comfortably Dumb

Dudley wrote:
It's entirely not their fault. They probably don't fancy jail time.

I could phone up and say "I'm calling on behalf of devilman because he's deaf and dumb..." :)

Yeah, like I said - I can see why they do it, but it's still frustrating. At least more stuff can be done online these days but this was a phone-only thing so Mum was stuffed either way.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 20:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I think the more relevant point is what exactly did they think was going to happen when DM passed over the phone?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 22:19 

Yeah he should have just held it up to the air for silence for a few seconds then said "See, she's fine with it"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 22:22 
Peculiar, yet lovely

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Dudley wrote:

Would depend on whether that's considered 'sensitive personal information', and is arguable.

They'd have to give a card number first anyway, natch. The cards have the name on too, so the question would be redundant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 23:52 
Honey Boo Boo

Can I add that people who play Sadville obviously have money to burn, as they're able to afford PCs to run it and what is surely the world's least efficient game engine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 23:54 
making out to faces of death

Try streaming an entire world over the internet from a 20mb installation. It's never going to fly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 0:17 
Comfortably Dumb

Dudley wrote:
Yeah he should have just held it up to the air for silence for a few seconds then said "See, she's fine with it"

:)

To her credit, Mum tried Typetalk first (a BT service where somewhere at BT's end speaks on behalf of your minicom) but that didn't work either.. probably for the same reason - if they won't let me sign up on her behalf, they're hardly likely to let anyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:44 
INFINITE POWAH

As the Information Commissioner Richard Thomas said last week, it's very irritating how many people entirely misunderstand and misuse the Data Protection Act. Companies seem to take a "no we can't tell anyone anything" approach rather than actually check what they can and can't do - often as a method of just saving time and money or to avoid giving out anything they don't want to.* They could often divulge a hell of a lot more than they say they can, but they either choose not to or are entirely fucking ignorant of what the law actually says. It will, for instance, allow M&S to deal with a toddler's mother in relation to a return of a product.

Christ, even the police misunderstand the DPA - I read an article about a Times journo who got beaten up, phoned the police to tell them who it was and the copper on the other end of the phone cautioned him that he would be committing an offence under the DPA if he (the chap who'd been beaten up) told him (the copper) the guy's name and address. "FFS" doesn't even cover it.

*Having advised companies on the DPA I've all too often come across this attitude.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 16:17 
Not to be confused with elbow

People translate and edit letters for people don't they? I think my friend, who is a student, does that for a few bob.

Artwork/designing people pay for aswell. I did a bit for a while and then I gave up because people were taking the piss and wanting tattoo designs done and stupid pictures and the like

Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2