Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble (SUB PLEASE CHANGE)?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:47 

myoptika wrote:
Ah, contacting the deceased, ghosts and that kind of thing is another kettle of fish. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

Not really - the same techniques are used in both instances - massive generalisations, and when talking live to a client, eeking out more detailed information. There was once a series of programmes on Channel four where they taught somebody the basic technique and got them to pass themselves off as an astrologer, tarot card reader, spiritualist, always using the same technique.

I also once saw a Derren Brown show (oh, hello again Derren, by the way) where he went to America and passed him off as a genuine practitioner in each of these 'professions' using the same technique, also.

They are all part of the same con.

INFINITE POWAH

Ian Osborne wrote:
myoptika wrote:
I can't believe Patrick Moore got a knighthood for it. It's encouraging the whole stupid business.

But Patrick Moore's an astronomer, not an astrologer. He's on record as saying astrology is bunk.

I've suddenly realised Myp may have been making subtle joke there.

Not to be confused with elbow

I don't mean that *rolls eyes* it's just if you like something so much you want it to be right, get it?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Mimi wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Ah, contacting the deceased, ghosts and that kind of thing is another kettle of fish. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

Not really - the same techniques are used in both instances - massive generalisations, and when talking live to a client, eeking out more detailed information. There was once a series of programmes on Channel four where they taught somebody the basic technique and got them to pass themselves off as an astrologer, tarot card reader, spiritualist, always using the same technique.

I also once saw a Derren Brown show (oh, hello again Derren, by the way) where he went to America and passed him off as a genuine practitioner in each of these 'professions' using the same technique, also.

True, but the difference between homeopathy and, say, contacting the dead, is that if you're a religionist the latter actually has some possibility of being true within your frame of reference, I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Ian Osborne wrote:
myoptika wrote:
I can't believe Patrick Moore got a knighthood for it. It's encouraging the whole stupid business.

But Patrick Moore's an astronomer, not an astrologer. He's on record as saying astrology is bunk.

I'm pretty sure that was was Myp's 'least noticed joke ever'.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Ian Osborne wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I'm pretty that was was Myp's 'least noticed joke ever'.

I've already said that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
*Sighs* A little piece of my soul dies each time when I return to this thread :'(

Then reenvigorate it with something useful. When people talk about astrology being fun and interesting, I'm always reminded of Monty Python's Galaxy Song:

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the "Milky Way".

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

(Animated calliope interlude)

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

When we live in a universe like that, why do we need fantasies to make it more interesting?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 

Craster wrote:
Ian Osborne wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was was Myp's 'least noticed joke ever'.

Haha, no, I noticed it, I didn't realise that someone had taken him seriously, though :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:51 

Probably because it helps people cope day-to-day?

I love Monty Python :)

I think I'm just generally having a shit day and this is affecting my post-mood. The stupid twats from the rugby club came in and wanted things last minute *sigh* this annoys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:52 

Mimi wrote:
I can't believe that anyone actually believes in the nonsense to be honest.

It actually boggles my mind that there's anyone with an ounce of sense that ever reads that guff, much less spends money on it, I can't understand why these people allow themselves to be conned so openly.

Astrology and any kind of spiritual foretelling or contacting of the deceased is always so general and sweeping that it applies to everyone. I'm pretty sure that most people here could learn to cold read and pass themselves off as an astrologer reading charts or a tarot card/crystal ball/palm reader.

You know who's best at cold reading? Derren Brown - he's really very skilled at it - and what does he tell us of Astrology, tarot and the like? He says it is boll*cks.

In fairness I'm not sure that most people if pushed really do believe it. They are knowingly indulging in a mostly harmless flight of fancy and if we're going to start banning everything which most reasonable people can enjoy safely but which for a minority causes problems then, well, just fuck that.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Mr Chris wrote:
I've already said that.

Yeah, I don't read what you write. It's all mumbo-jumbo and supersitious bunkum.

UltraMod

Mimi wrote:

Yes, yes, I agree with you there. There are lots of con-artists who do that kind of thing. I'm talking about friends of friends who do it for no fiscal reward, but as a hobby. I'm a sceptic mainly, but once they managed to contact my dead Granddad and told me he said things that they would have no way of knowing.

Coincidence perhaps, but it weirded me out a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:53 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
It's just if you like something so much you want it to be right, get it?

Yes, I get it, but it's a very dangerous thing. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts, and wanting it to be right doesn't make it so.

That said, I hope you don't take this personally - it certainly isn't intended in that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:53 
UltraMod

Mr Chris wrote:
Ian Osborne wrote:
myoptika wrote:

I've suddenly realised Myp may have been making subtle joke there.

I know, I don't do subtle very often...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 

Same here, there's no way they could have known about the things my grandad knew-NO way in hell, only I knew :)

It's nice to think there's something out there beyond this (god I sound like a fucking hippie) lack of sleep surely isn't good, fucking poker. I also went and had regression-THAT freaked me out!

Ian-Nah, it takes a lot to get me miffed at someone, I like having heated debates as they spice life up a little. I'm no wilting flower :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:56 

Mimi wrote:
You know who's best at cold reading? Derren Brown - he's really very skilled at it - and what does he tell us of Astrology, tarot and the like? He says it is boll*cks.

I recommend his book "Tricks of the mind", there's a great chapter in it, including a time he cold read personal readings for 2000 students and got back 95% positive results.

Trouble is, he used the exact same reading for all of them, and wrote it a week before he met any of them, it's reprinted in the book.

Mystic Meems wrote:

This is mentioned in the book too, including exactly how they do it.

shin wrote:
Same here, there's no way they could have known about the things my grandad knew-NO way in hell, only I knew

I'm sorry but they don't have to, you probably didn't realise it but you told them, again, book.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:58 

Ooooh I have a headache now! But they couldn't and they wouldn't know I can't have kids because I don't say anything about that-obv.have just done so here, but there we are. Plus he was the only one that called me Bluebell, no-one else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 

I am of scientific mind, so I don't believe in homeopathy, astrology, tarot etc etc. I think Reiki, aura cleansing, crystals etc are just things that dress up relaxation and meditation techniques. But, I feel more than anything that as long as something is taken in context, without it impeding are harming anyone else, then go for it. If you like Astrology for your own interests and don't let it negatively affect aspects of your life and the people around you, then enjoy it Shin and be happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:00 

Shin wrote:
Ooooh I have a headache now! But they couldn't and they wouldn't know I can't have kids because I don't say anything about that-obv.have just done so here, but there we are. Plus he was the only one that called me Bluebell, no-one else.

I don't want to be mean here, but it's very easy for them to give that appearance and make you think that. It's amazing what you give away without knowing.

I'll shut up about it now, but I'm afraid you were badly conned there by the kind of cynical manipulative trickster I REALLY hate simply because they're effectively using your dead relatives to turn a buck. The cunts.

If you ever actually want to know what happened then "Tricks of the mind" is at every book store in the universe.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:02 

pupil wrote:
If you like Astrology for your own interests and don't let it negatively affect aspects of your life and the people around you, then enjoy it Shin and be happy.

I do! I don't let it run my life, it's just another thing I enjoy reading/learning about. Same as anything really-do it to enjoy it, no other reason really. I didn't know it'd spark of a mountain of spiel...well, actually I did-but I had hoped more people would like the damn topic -_-;

Duds-it's okay I understand the science behind it, they read my reactions to subtle questions and key words. Like if they mentioned 'children' then I may have made an unconcious gesture of pain or something. It's nice to dream though

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 

Astrology is (largely) benign.

Anyone claiming to be reading or worse, claiming to let you talk to a dead relative or friend is lying, conning scum of the worst order making fortunes entirely off conning people at their most vulnerable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 
Peculiar, yet lovely

If you're going to be cheered up by something imaginary, at least make it something brilliant, like flaming unicorns fighting zombies with shotguns.

Also, I do horoscopes. £15 and I'll do yours, Shinny dear.

myoptika wrote:

Contacting the dead is definitely bollocks. It's all cold reading and bullshit, as Mimi said. Nobody's ever proven any ability to do anything of the sort. Ghosties too, more than likely - there's never been anything remotely scientifically credible to prove their existence. At most, there have been curious happenings. That doesn't mean ghosts any more than it means pixies.

If someone claims to be psychic or know your future, try this: lie to them. Give them false positives and see what kind of bullshit they come up with. Better yet - say nothing. Confirm absolutely nothing that they ask you, and don't move. Don't even change your expression. If they're fucking psychic/talking to the dead, they shouldn't need to ask you anything. They'll draw a complete blank, because it's all cold reading bullshit. All they do is throw out lots of vague possibilities and probabilities based on your age and appearance and body language, and get you to confirm any hits. It's been documented hundreds of times, and many honest showmen like Penn and Teller and Derren Brown have exposed it publically countless times. 'talking to the dead' people in particular are fucking scum because they cash in on other people's misery when they're at their most vulnerable, and fuck up the grieving process no end.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:04 

myoptika wrote:
Mimi wrote:
once they managed to contact my dead Granddad

Oh hon - the last thing I want to do is to upset you, but really, they didn't. I think this is why this kind of thing is so difficult, because there is so much scope for people investing their memories and emotions into the words of a stranger who is very skilled at saying what you want to hear.

My cousin once came back from a spiritualist saying she was a sceptic but now she believed. The spiritualist found out that she knew someone who has passed away in the October of the previous year. What convinced Lynsey was that the spiritualist said that Lynsey had felt 'hurt' at Christmas. Lynsey actually took this as ultimate proof as her brother's girlfriend had slapped her around the face. Either way, once this woman was in there she said that the stepfather loved them all, wanted them to be happy - the usual guff - Lynsey arrived home and emotional wreck. Also, the spiritualist somehow 'knows' that Lynsey is going to meet a man and be married in two years - the dead can see the future also, it seems.

Sorry, it angers me because people I care for, like yourself and my cousin, will invest money in being conned - but it is hard to say this without hurting people's feelings. I'd say the best thing to do was in your quiet moments just sit and imagine talking to your grandad - if you knew him well and loved him you'd know how he'd answer your questions, because you will know enough of his character to know how he thought.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:06 

sinister agent wrote:
If you're going to be cheered up by something imaginary, at least make it something brilliant, like flaming unicorns fighting zombies with shotguns.

Also, I do horoscopes. £15 and I'll do yours, Shinny dear.

Just because I like it sweetie that does not mean I 'came up the canal on a bike'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:08 

sinister agent wrote:
If someone claims to be psychic or know your future, try this: lie to them. Give them false positives and see what kind of bullshit they come up with. Better yet - say nothing. Confirm absolutely nothing that they ask you, and don't move. Don't even change your expression.

The thing is, the most skilled (let's take Derren Brown) could still 'read' you through this - you can't bluff Derren Brown, you can't stop all of those tiny and usually imperceptible signs from being read by people like him, they are just too good at it.

The thing is though - he will tell people about their dead relatives in such an amazingly detailed way but then will admit that it is all nonsense, but yes, people still believe that their spiritualist is the real deal ?:|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 
Excellently persuasive

I concur.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:10 
INFINITE POWAH

Shin wrote:
'came up the canal on a bike'

Is this as filthy as it sounds?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 

Um...no >.< I musn't keep saying old sayings

UltraMod

Hey, you're not upsetting me. I still remain sceptical, but there is a small part of me that believes that we can't scientifically prove everything that happens in this world.

myoptika wrote:
Hey, you're not upsetting me. I still remain sceptical, but there is a small part of me that believes that we can't scientifically prove everything that happens in this world.

:this:

What I believe in a nutshell

I mean-don't we agree with what scientists say because they say it? Isn't that just taking their word for it? I mean, we can't understand fully the tests e.t.c they do-

'If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,
Baffle 'em with bullshit'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:12 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Man, I love the title of this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 

I didn't make it!! It has my name, but I wasn't drinking-I dunno who made it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 
UltraMod

It says in the subtitle. *buffs nails on shirt*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:16 

Shin wrote:
I mean-don't we agree with what scientists say because they say it? Isn't that just taking their word for it? I mean, we can't understand fully the tests e.t.c they do-

And it's a good thing techniques such as double blind testing (a laughably simple concept) means we don't have to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 
INFINITE POWAH

shin wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:
'came up the canal on a bike'

Is this as filthy as it sounds?

Um...no >.< I musn't keep saying old sayings

Okay then, this *should* be as filthy as it sounds. And now is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:17 

I think the very best thing about Derren Brown is that whilst he goes around debunking psychics etc to the delight of his fans many of them are only too keen to believe that many of his tricks are just as they appear and that he is possessed of an almost supernatural ability to "read people", because it's far more interesting to believe that such an extraordinary man exists than that he is mostly an extraordinary showman but also a simple conjurer not in any way above using stooges and any other trick he can to create his illusions. Even though he goes out of his way to warn them not to believe everything, they still see what they want to because he gives them a superficially plausible explanation, a bit like astrologers talking about the positions of planets and gravity and stuff.

Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:19 
UltraMod

Yes, it is brilliant how Brown tells people not to believe everything they see, but yet believe everything they see when he's involved.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 
That Rev Chap

Shin wrote:

We believe scientists because of the scientific method, peer review, etc.

And we don't ever taking anything as ultimate proof, only true pending further information.

I mean, we can be sure that the earth is a big ball in space and that species have evolved through evolution due to overwhelming evidence for both those facts, but that doesn't mean that technically - technically - new evidence could come along to change our understanding.

I, myself, love to entertain notions that we're all part of a multiverse and that other realities leak through from time to time, but that's just my romantic brain, nothing to do with science. Science is a method and a way of testing things, not a big block of FACTS written down in The Big Book Of Science Which Is True Now and Forever.

Or something.

I'm wittering.

Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I'm surprised that Homeopathy can be allowed on the NHS without first passing some sort of NICE clinical trial to prove that it actually works.

Excellent Member

The very first episode of Penn & Teller's 'Bullshit' dealt with talking to the dead, and neatly debunked it. Anyone who thinks they've had a message from a dead relative should remember that anecdotes are not evidence, and every time a spiritualist has been tested using scientific double-blind protocols which prevent tactics such as drawing information from the interviewee and then feeding it back to them (cold reading) or finding stuff out in advance and claiming it as revelations (hot reading), they have failed miserably.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 

myoptika wrote:
It says in the subtitle. *buffs nails on shirt*

Oh...I think my brains gone today. I swear that if I don't get more than 6 hours tonight I'm going to die

Last edited by myp on Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
fixed quote

Legendary Boogeyman

I hate threads that pop up when I've been asleep longer than usual and have 3+ pages already, otherwise I would have got in here really early to agree the whole thing is the biggest load of shit ever.

The idea that *time of year* you were born and the 'alignment' of planets might in somehow fundamentally determine your personality is the biggest load of shit EVAR.

It's quasi-religious, and goes back to the basic insecurity that exists within most people that causes them to look to a higher power and/or order to gives their lives direction and purpose in lieu of INDEPEDANT THOUGHT FROM THEIR OWN SIMPLE BRAINS.

I ready my horoscope whenever I pick up the paper, to LOL at the fact that it either vaguely applies to me, or couldn't apply to me less.

INFINITE POWAH

Shin wrote:

Because if a chemist is bullshitting about the physical property of a new wonder material, say, he'll get found out pretty bloody quickly when it's used for something.

You can't see the difference?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
myoptika wrote:

:this:

What I believe in a nutshell

'If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance,
Baffle 'em with bullshit'

Fine. Science is complicated and difficult and hard. Much better to fill the void up with ghosts and faeries and other such bullshit than actually, you know, believe someone who does know what they are talking about it and can prove it.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 
That Rev Chap

myoptika wrote:
Yes, it is brilliant how Brown tells people not to believe everything they see, but yet believe everything they see when he's involved.

His "explanations" are as much part of the trick as the trick itself, I've always thought.

He's a great showman and his Russian Roulette programme was one of the best bits of TV ever.

I wanted to kill people when they dismissed it because "obviously it was a trick and he wasn't going to die" - because his skill there lay in making you feel on edge and engaged despite knowing that very, very obvious fact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 

Let's just say I don't have the mental capacity to continue that strain of thought any furthur-I half baked that

Plisskin-Don't patronise me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 

Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:

Because if a chemist is bullshitting about the physical property of a new wonder material, say, he'll get found out pretty bloody quickly when it's used for something.

Indeed, there's this important little thing called peer review.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:

Ah, but they could all be in on the conspiracy to keep us non-scientists in the dark about their lies!

:rollseyes:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:24 

Okay fine, I'm wrong in this. Forget the damn thread

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:25 

Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:

Ah, but they could all be in on the conspiracy to keep us non-scientists in the dark about their lies!

:rollseyes:

I don't think they'll be trying that again, not after they got caught faking the moon landings.

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next