Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 

I love Rev Owens' posts.

How about looking at the brain in two ways. Logical and Illogical. They are separate but co-exist in most peoples' brains. Illogically, many people feel the absolute NEED to be creative (right, Mimi?) but really, this is illogical as it isn't a need at all. Eating, drinking water, sleeping etc - we NEED to do them (says the logical brain), but the creative brain doesn't give a shit. It is how I look at the music I create - it is incredibly important but at the same time has no importance what-so-ever. Two very contradicting interpretations, but both correct in their own context. Duality of this sort is very overlooked in western culture, but is a cornerstone of thought in Far-Eastern Cultures.

Post subject: Re: Stuff'n'Things
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:13 

Craster wrote:
Shin wrote:
Plus the corny chat up line, 'What sign are you?' always works with me

The correct answer to that is always "No Entry".

Best thing ever. If you'd closed the thread immediately after posting this, even bester thing ever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:15 
UltraMod

jonarob wrote:
Craster wrote:
Shin wrote:

Best thing ever. If you'd closed the thread immediately after posting this, even bester thing ever.

Locking threads without a vote is an EPIC FAIL! :attitude:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 

Last time I went to an astrologer for a reading, they told me that someone close to me was going to die and that I'd be surprised.

He was right about the first bit, anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 
Excellent Member

The Rev Owen wrote:
One of the wonderful things about the human brain is to be able to believe in two different, mutually exclusive realities while knowing that they're both mutually exclusive.

For example, I am hardcore sceptic who believes science has the only answers in terms of everything that happens. I also believe, as I said, that other dimensions of strange beasts and beings of all kinds can intermingle can and do intermingle with our own reality.

One worldview is testable, verifiable, useful and should be taught in schools, the other is a personal fancy which I believe or disbelieve depending on what I want to believe on any given day.

Tangentially I've just finished re-reading Hellstar, a rather pulpy early 80's sci-fi by this bloke*. Basically the first colonists are heading out of the Solar System on a self-contained ship and as they leave the fabric of reality appears to start breaking down. By the end of it, the randomness and chaos of the microcosm has become the macrocosm.

Anyway, being an early 80s sci-fi from a couple of Californians, the solution appears to be a form of Zen trancendance, defining and "fixing" reality through thought. Science still works, but the understanding of reality has shifted.

* Hell of a TV based CV there. Unproduced finale of the Dungeons & Dragons animated series, anyone?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 

pupil wrote:
I love Rev Owens' posts.

How about looking at the brain in two ways. Logical and Illogical. They are separate but co-exist in most peoples' brains. Illogically, many people feel the absolute NEED to be creative (right, Mimi?) but really, this is illogical as it isn't a need at all. Eating, drinking water, sleeping etc - we NEED to do them (says the logical brain), but the creative brain doesn't give a shit. It is how I look at the music I create - it is incredibly important but at the same time has no importance what-so-ever. Two very contradicting interpretations, but both correct in their own context. Duality of this sort is very overlooked in western culture, but is a cornerstone of thought in Far-Eastern Cultures.

I honestly don't know, Pupil. I have never thought of whether creativity, for me, is a need. I am trying to think it through now, but i am not sure - it's not something I have honestly ever considered.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't being in some way creative, see? When I was a kid, very young, I'd be surrounded by toilet roll tubes, coloured paper, glue and pens and I'd make all sorts of random things - these weer just the 'toys' that people gave me and I enjoyed. i think now it is just something I do.

I walk into a room and thing - hmm, I will draw/sew/knit/design/paint/build something, and just do it.

I'm a simple kind of creature, I've never really considered the thought process before, but now you have mentioned it I would be very distressed if someone took away all of my art materials and I couldn't create things, so maybe you are right.

Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble (SUB PLEASE CHANGE)?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 
Excellent Painter

sinister agent wrote:
If you're going to be cheered up by something imaginary, at least make it something brilliant, like flaming unicorns fighting zombies with shotguns.

Also, I do horoscopes. £15 and I'll do yours, Shinny dear.

myoptika wrote:
Ah, contacting the deceased, ghosts and that kind of thing is another kettle of fish. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

Contacting the dead is definitely bollocks. It's all cold reading and bullshit, as Mimi said. Nobody's ever proven any ability to do anything of the sort. Ghosties too, more than likely - there's never been anything remotely scientifically credible to prove their existence. At most, there have been curious happenings. That doesn't mean ghosts any more than it means pixies.

If someone claims to be psychic or know your future, try this: lie to them. Give them false positives and see what kind of bullshit they come up with. Better yet - say nothing. Confirm absolutely nothing that they ask you, and don't move. Don't even change your expression. If they're fucking psychic/talking to the dead, they shouldn't need to ask you anything. They'll draw a complete blank, because it's all cold reading bullshit. All they do is throw out lots of vague possibilities and probabilities based on your age and appearance and body language, and get you to confirm any hits. It's been documented hundreds of times, and many honest showmen like Penn and Teller and Derren Brown have exposed it publically countless times. 'talking to the dead' people in particular are fucking scum because they cash in on other people's misery when they're at their most vulnerable, and fuck up the grieving process no end.

If I was psychic I'd be wealthy beyond all measures from winning every bet I ever made. Not smelling of sandalwood and living in some 1930s semi in a faceless part of town.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 
Legendary Boogeyman

pupil wrote:
How about looking at the brain in two ways. Logical and Illogical.

I just happen to have a diagram to hand.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 
Excellent Member

Why is the need to create illogical? It stems from humans being social animals who crave the respect and approval of our peers, which can be earned through improving the environment for those around us.

And also, stating something is outside the understanding of science is somewhat pointless if you're not addressing a scientific question. For example, science has nothing to say on why the Mona Lisa is so much better than an impressive portrait produced by a sixth-form art student, because art appreciation is not an investigation into how the world works.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:29 

DBSnappa wrote:
If I was psychic I'd be wealthy beyond all measures from winning every bet I ever made. Not smelling of sandalwood and living in some 1930s semi in a faceless part of town.

My mother's mother-in-law is a High Priestess.

Speaking to her once about her beliefs she said that she could, through the forces of magic and ritual change her or anybody else's outcomes - there were specific spells for love, possessions, wealth, health, happiness etc. She is at the very top of the hierarchy of her beliefs and apparently a very powerful being.

I always wondered why she used these powers to fashion herself a life in poverty on a violent run down council estate with an alcoholic drugged-up partner, but there you go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 

I want that T-shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:31 

Ian Osborne wrote:
And also, stating something is outside the understanding of science is somewhat pointless if you're not addressing a scientific question. For example, science has nothing to say on why the Mona Lisa is so much better than an impressive portrait produced by a sixth-form art student, because art appreciation is not an investigation into how the world works.

It is though, because it's an investigation into how the mind and body works...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 

Mimi wrote:
I honestly don't know, Pupil. I have never thought of whether creativity, for me, is a need. I am trying to think it through now, but i am not sure - it's not something I have honestly ever considered.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't being in some way creative, see? When I was a kid, very young, I'd be surrounded by toilet roll tubes, coloured paper, glue and pens and I'd make all sorts of random things - these weer just the 'toys' that people gave me and I enjoyed. i think now it is just something I do.

I walk into a room and thing - hmm, I will draw/sew/knit/design/paint/build something, and just do it.

I'm a simple kind of creature, I've never really considered the thought process before, but now you have mentioned it I would be very distressed if someone took away all of my art materials and I couldn't create things, so maybe you are right.

Glad I got you thinking :) I have had to deal with the prospect of my main outpouring of creativity taken away from me. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in my entire life (I won't go into to it further, but trust me, it was for serious medical reasons at the time). Fortunately, I was strong enough to adapt and change and deal with the situation, but of course, the whole thing was completely illogical when you look at it from the angle of logical thought. Silly brain, eh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 
Excellent Member

Dudley wrote:
It is though, because it's an investigation into how the mind and body works...

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about analysing why we think what we do about art (which is psychology, a science in its infancy), but about justifying why the Mona Lisa is superior (which is art appreciation, and definitely not a science).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:36 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

jonarob wrote:
Craster wrote:
Shin wrote:

Best thing ever.

At least jonarob appreciates me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
jonarob wrote:
Craster wrote:
Shin wrote:

Best thing ever.

At least jonarob appreciates me.

Whereas the rest of us know that a "no entry" sign around your neck would be as redundant as a "no entry" sign on a brick wall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:43 
Excellent Painter

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:
I don't think they'll be trying that again, not after they got caught faking the moon landings.

The moon landings were pretty comprehensively shown to be faked right here.

That made me laugh aloud, I love the clangers. You just don't see them anymore :(

Have children. Have a legitimate excuse for buying loads of videos of old kiddies series.

Actually, talking of which I'm about to jettison a metric fuckton of videos both kiddies stuff (handy as it's more robust than DVD) and grown up films if anyone is remotely interested. My daughter doesn't watch any of this stuff anymore - not sure I have any super young stuff left like Spot, but I've got loads of things like Rhoobarb, Clangers, Tom & Jerry, Disney which I will largely be chucking - and like I said, if you have youngish kids then it's much harder for them to damage videos than DVDs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 
Not to be confused with elbow

We used to pull the tape out >.<

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 
Excellent Painter

You WOULD be the exception that proved the rule.

OK, if you're children were born between January 24 and February 23 you can't fucking have my videos.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:54 

DBSnappa wrote:
You WOULD be the exception that proved the rule.

OK, if you're children were born between January 24 and February 23 you can't fucking have my videos.

*BEAMS!* hehehehe! Sorry >.< I always was a special child mummy said ^.^
You could wind it back in it you were careful though by turning the white parts at the back, but slowly otherwise the tape would rip and then mum would come and break dance on your face >.<

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 

DBSnappa wrote:
OK, if you're children were born between January 24 and February 23 you can't have my fucking videos

How-I-read-this-FTFY.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:57 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
I always was a special child mummy said [/color]

You and the other 1/12 of the population born under Aquarius! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 

You are going to make me cry big salty water-pourer tears

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:00 
Excellent Painter

GazChap wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
OK, if you're children were born between January 24 and February 23 you can't have my fucking videos

How-I-read-this-FTFY.

I'm very good at getting Your, you're, their, there and they're buggered up. I know the difference i just type too fast.

Also, what, precisely does FTFY mean? I keep seeing it but cannot grokk it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

DBSnappa wrote:
Also, what, precisely does Fixed That For You mean? I keep seeing it but cannot grokk it.

FTFY.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

DBSnappa wrote:
GazChap wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

How-I-read-this-FTFY.

I'm very good at getting Your, you're, their, there and they're buggered up. I know the difference i just type too fast.

I think he's actually implying that you're pushing your home-made porn onto children.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:03 
Excellent Painter

Ta Gnomical Moans :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:04 

Thank god I'm not the only one that doesn't get these abbrev's sometimes!

Can we have a thread of 'BETEO DICTIONARY'?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:05 
Legendary Boogeyman

No, then anyone could just come in and pretend to be One of Us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:06 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
No, then anyone could just come in and pretend to be One of Us.

DAMN! There goes my infiltration tictacs!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:08 
Excellent Painter

Craster wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
GazChap wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:

How-I-read-this-FTFY.

I think he's actually implying that you're pushing your home-made porn onto children.

I figured as much but didn't want to compound the workings of his diseased brane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:12 

I thought he was so nice when I met him

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:15 
That Rev Chap

Every time you see an acronym or abbreviation you don't understand type it into Google.

Go on, type FTFY into Google now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:21 

The Rev Owen wrote:
Every time you see an acronym or abbreviation you don't understand type it into Google.

Go on, type FTFY into Google now.

Oh, well that's jolly clever!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 13:41 
I forgot about this - how vain

Ian Osborne wrote:
Shin wrote:
I always was a special child mummy said [/color]

You and the other 1/12 of the population born under Aquarius! ;)

When I was at my last university I pitched to the editor (in a pub, so only semi-seriously) that we had a horoscope column that read something like this:

HORRORSCOPES: By Mystic Mitler

BLACKS: The Sun's position backing the savanna in your skin-sign means today you will feel a general sense of lethagy and inability to work. Don't worry - focus and you can achieve. Have you tried taking up sports?

WHITES: The lack of Sun in your skin-sign means that you have a gloomy and cynical outlook today, combined with a arrogant sense of superiority. But chin up an eve in the tavern will spruce up your inner child.

YELLOWS: My don't you work hard! Your skin-sign is showing massive amounts of determination today well done!

Needless to say once sober the "be as offensively sterotypical as possible as a satirical tool against horoscopes" didn't seem quite so clever or sensible.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:19 

The Rev Owen wrote:
Every time you see an acronym or abbreviation you don't understand JFGI

Go on, type JFGI into Google now.

FTFY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:25 
I forgot about this - how vain

Joans wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

FTFY

The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:27 

Lave wrote:
Joans wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

FTFY

The Jewish Federation of Greater Indianapolis?

Yes. They're there for all your initialism/acronym needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:29 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
*Sighs* A little piece of my soul dies each time when I return to this thread :'(

Ah well, I'll carry on liking it and people will carry on hating it, the world shall still turn

Now, Gareth *mother tone* who was sat there last night letting me read star signs to him? I think it was you hunny bunny

Was there sex after this?
OR before?
Surely it was involved somewhere.

And the world turns.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:51 

LaceSensor wrote:
Shin wrote:
*Sighs* A little piece of my soul dies each time when I return to this thread :'(

Ah well, I'll carry on liking it and people will carry on hating it, the world shall still turn

Now, Gareth *mother tone* who was sat there last night letting me read star signs to him? I think it was you hunny bunny

Was there sex after this?
OR before?
Surely it was involved somewhere.

And the world turns.

Um...how to answer this-I think I won't, I have to see G-unit later and I don't want him reprimanding me and then me sulking like a petulant child

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:54 
INFINITE POWAH

Quote:
Um...how to answer this-I think I won't,
No, calling him a petulant child instead should make things much better, love. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:03 

Mr Chris wrote:
Quote:
Um...how to answer this-I think I won't,
No, calling him a petulant child instead should make things much better, love. ;)

I meant me >.<

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:04 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

I can't help but find the whole of astrology, and any other faith*-based things utterly moronic, sorry.

It disappoints me how people are so happy to undermine the beauty of the universe, life and existence with such utter nonsense.

Someone in hospital told me to pray through the pain and for a quick recovery while having a cast put on the other day. I got a lovely, cheery thanking from the nurses when I asked them what good that would possibly do and to please stop giving God credit for the work of these fantastic people. Pray? No thanks, I'll carry on breathing in this laughing gas, thanks, you fucking moronic utter fucking idiot. Leave it to the people with a clue.

Also, Lave is ace. I love your posts — ta!

*faith can fuck off. By its own definition, it doesn't deserve the slightest credibility or respect. If you have faith, you're a loon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:06 

And everything was calming down -_-;

I am a certified loon then and damn well proud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:14 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Shin wrote:

Hah. Things meander off and on topic here — don't worry about it.

I just hate the attitude of "I don't understand something, so instead of learning, I'll make up my own explanation."

Probably fine on a very small scale, but things rarely stay that way. Look at how much damage religion has done to the world, all based on lunacy.

It upsets me how in such advanced times, people still believe such tripe, and the leaders of countries base their actions on it all. I thought we'd have got past this a few thousand years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:21 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:

I am a certified loon then and damn well proud

To be honest, if you aren't even prepared to read the evidence, and you presume to accuse someone as patronising you when they even suggest you lack the mental fortitude to understand complex biological/scientific systems having pretty much admitted to the fact previously, then you will get no sympathy most people I reckon.

The way I see it is, if you open a topic for discussion, dont get upset when the vast majority of people dont agree. You said yourself you were testing the water, gauging opinions etc. Fact is, most people on this forum have some kind of scientific background from what I've judged (albeit computer science, heh), and certainly an intelligence based on fundamentals like logic.

Its fine to beleive whatever crazy illogical crap you want, but being overly emotive and self depreciating when people are purely expressing their opinion and opeing your horizons to alternative theories with scientific evidence smacks of just being a bit 'silly' really for want of a better word. Or just being overly provocative to get reactions out of people.

If its the latter its worked with me, here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:21 
INFINITE POWAH

Word, bra. Fo' shizzle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:24 

nynfortoo wrote:
Shin wrote:

Hah. Things meander off and on topic here — don't worry about it.

I just hate the attitude of "I don't understand something, so instead of learning, I'll make up my own explanation."

Probably fine on a very small scale, but things rarely stay that way. Look at how much damage religion has done to the world, all based on lunacy.

It upsets me how in such advanced times, people still believe such tripe, and the leaders of countries base their actions on it all. I thought we'd have got past this a few thousand years ago.

One day we'll all have robotic brains and will be programmed to think the same, not me obv. or you actually as we'll be dead by then...I wonder if I could have myself frozen-that'd be cool!

Lace-Phew! Put me in my bloody place...sorry that was probably along the self depreciating line wasn't it? And I have read the evidence thank you, I just prefer to be interested in it anyway because I like this kind of thing. If I was that pissed at people's reactions I wouldn't bother staying because that would be 'silly' then. I just thought that there may have been more than just me interested in it, I wasn't doing the thread to get up people's noses

Sorry I can't be a scientific genius like the rest of you then

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 15:27 
Legendary Boogeyman

A wise man once said: 'Pipe the fuck down'.

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next