Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

Shin wrote:
Okay fine, I'm wrong in this. Forget the damn thread

This is what the forum is about dear, its not personal. The next time Dudley says something that's a load of shit we'll hound him for a good 5 or 6 pages.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:27 
INFINITE POWAH

markg wrote:
I don't think they'll be trying that again, not after they got caught faking the moon landings.

The moon landings were pretty comprehensively shown to be faked right here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:28 
Not to be confused with elbow

It's fine, it's just me being me and hating the fact no-one else seems to agree with me. But then I expect a topic I raise like this to be refuted e.t.c so I can't really be pissed off at people for giving me grief

Legendary Boogeyman

Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:
I don't think they'll be trying that again, not after they got caught faking the moon landings.

That made me laugh aloud, I love the clangers. You just don't see them anymore :(

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Shin wrote:
Okay fine, I'm wrong in this. Forget the damn thread

This is what the forum is about dear, its not personal. The next time Dudley says something that's a load of shit we'll hound him for a good 5 or 6 pages.

Fanks ^.^ x

Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:

That is ace.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 
Goth

I think the daily horroscopes are utterly meaningless but I do sometimes think there's something in the general character outlines for the star signs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:32 

Maybe a bit, but that's just labelling though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:33 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
It's fine, it's just me being me and hating the fact no-one else seems to agree with me.

No-one is going to indulge you when you are wrong.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:33 

Do yours, go on and just read something and see if it works. I can honestly say I fit my sign

Plissken-Now that is wrong! Just because I believe in different things does not mean they are wrong thank you! I don't say people are wrong for what they believe, I may disagree with it though. That's just being a cunt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:34 
Peculiar, yet lovely

markg wrote:

If you go through them all, you'll find something in every one that describes some aspect of you.

I bought my first girlfriend a clanger once. It made the noise when you squeezed it and everything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:36 

Can someone pull up a character assasination, er I mean 'outline' of someone for the 20th December to see how it fits me? A well known/trusted one if anyone knows of such a place that has one for free on the net? Just as a test.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:37 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
Do yours, go on and just read something and see if it works. I can honestly say I fit my sign

Are you familiar with the term Barnum statements? They're comments which everyone thinks were written for them personally, but are actually so general they could fit anybody.

"You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. At times you have serious doubts whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing."

Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble (SUB PLEASE CHANGE)?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:37 
UltraMod

Shin wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Hey, you're not upsetting me. I still remain sceptical, but there is a small part of me that believes that we can't scientifically prove everything that happens in this world.

:this:

What I believe in a nutshell

Hey, don't lump me in with your hippy lot. I only said a small part (very tiny). ;)

Science uber alles for most things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Mimi wrote:
Can someone pull up a character assasination, er I mean 'outline' of someone for the 20th December to see how it fits me? A well known/trusted one if anyone knows of such a place that has one for free on the net? Just as a test.

You like bees and the undead. It says here.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:39 

Mimi wrote:

Saggi then-

http://www.astrologycom.com/sag.html

There's one. I wish I could find the one I used the other day

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:40 

myoptika wrote:
Shin wrote:
myoptika wrote:
Hey, you're not upsetting me. I still remain sceptical, but there is a small part of me that believes that we can't scientifically prove everything that happens in this world.

:this:

What I believe in a nutshell

Hey, don't lump me in with your hippy lot. I only said a small part (very tiny). ;)

Science uber alles for most things.

I'm not a damned hippy :s

If this were school, I'd have my head flushed down a loo by now I guess -_-;

Ian Osborne wrote:
Shin wrote:

Are you familiar with the term Barnum statements? They're comments which everyone thinks were written for them personally, but are actually so general they could fit anybody.

"You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. At times you have serious doubts whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing."

Yes - someone I may have mentioned to honest - let's call him Baron Down - gave twenty people a personal 'reading' and they all but one said it fit them exactly - literally described them perfectly. They were of course all exactly the same.

The reading was a mixture of wild generalisations and flattery.

Legendary Boogeyman

Ian Osborne wrote:

Bollocks. I don't give a fuck what YOU or anybody else thinks about me, whereas I think I'm awesome. My personality is the manifestation of perfection and I use it with terminal efficiency. I never once question a decision because I'm always fucking right and you're a cunt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 

sinister agent wrote:
markg wrote:

If you go through them all, you'll find something in every one that describes some aspect of you.

I bought my first girlfriend a clanger once. It made the noise when you squeezed it and everything.

I agree but there are aspects supposedly unique to each one. I can't really see it in myself but I have to accept at least the possibility that knowing that my star sign is Libra and always identifying the little pair of weighing scales as the icon associated with my birthday might have at some stage had some effect on my developing personality. I wasn't but I imagine that if someone is raised around people who do fervently believe then this labelling would inevitably have an effect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:42 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Shin wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Saggi then-

At least half of that applies to me. The other half I couldn't be arsed to read, because I've read it all before.

I'm not what they'd call a sagittarius. Or even the same 'element'.

Shin wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Saggi then-

As a sagittarius, I barely got through the first few paragraphs of that before giving up.

SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Pisces wrote:
Despite your sensitive personality and delicate physical constitutions

Oh dear.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:43 

Ian Osborne wrote:
Shin wrote:

Ack! Bloody cynics! I used to be like this, I changed at 19 though. Ack *rubs temples* Yes thanks for finding that, yeah I have heard of it.

My family doesn't believe in this kind of thing, nor anyone remotely *close* to me so this is just something I've taken on myself

Mimi-That's fine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:44 
UltraMod

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Bollocks. I don't give a fuck what YOU or anybody else thinks about me, whereas I think I'm awesome. My personality is the manifestation of perfection and I use it with terminal efficiency. I never once question a decision because I'm always fucking right and you're a cunt.

How amazing would it be to see that printed in a magazine?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 

Determined Aquarius, a fixed sign, can be rather stubborn, offhand and resistant to imposed changes. You accept the substantial alterations in life as a challenge, but are quite averse to those small changes which can throw a spanner in the works. When confronted with unreasonable authoritarian demands or dogmatic principles to which you do not subscribe, you rebel. You certainly resent being told what to do, although you can be quite co-operative when properly approached. Aquarians are naturally sceptical; they like to test things for themselves, but, once convinced, become firm in their determination to see things through. Anyone who wants to get on side with you needs to see what must be done and share the load without being asked.

Uh...yeah pretty much so

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:49 
Excellent Member

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Ian Osborne wrote:

Unfortunately, Barnum statements rarely work on gibbering lunatics.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
Determined Aquarius, a fixed sign, can be rather stubborn, offhand and resistant to imposed changes. You accept the substantial alterations in life as a challenge, but are quite averse to those small changes which can throw a spanner in the works. When confronted with unreasonable authoritarian demands or dogmatic principles to which you do not subscribe, you rebel. You certainly resent being told what to do, although you can be quite co-operative when properly approached. Aquarians are naturally sceptical; they like to test things for themselves, but, once convinced, become firm in their determination to see things through. Anyone who wants to get on side with you needs to see what must be done and share the load without being asked.

Uh...yeah pretty much so

This works for me too, and I'm a Taurus...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:52 

Shin wrote:

Plissken-Now that is wrong! Just because I believe in different things does not mean they are wrong thank you!

No. The fact that they are wrong makes them wrong. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 
Legendary Boogeyman

ComicalGnome, a fixated loon, can be quite angry, and resistant to the existance of others. Life conspires to piss you off and throws problems at you so that you might smash through them with a wall of pure anger. When confronted with an unreasonable demand you stop playing 'which one will I kill first?' in your head and just go with whatever feels natural. The more people tell you what to do, the most inclined you are to do the opposite. ComicalGnomes are naturally right, but like to be tested when they encounter a person of considerable intelligence. You will occasionally work hard on things that matter to you personally, before for everything else you couldn't give a flying fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 
UltraMod

Works for me too, and I'm an Aries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:54 

Cheers Shin

So:

Mutable, change-loving Sagittarius governs long-distance travel, matters of the higher mind (philosophy, religion and the law), cultural pursuits – and having a good time! It is a fire sign, so Sagittarians are positive, forthright communicators who love travelling – although you do tend to be restless and hate to take orders.

The Sun in Sagittarius favours social status, the higher mind and travel, especially in pursuit of idealistic aims in faraway places. Sagittarians are idealists and usually much in demand socially, because you are like a breath of fresh air.
Search for Truth and Knowledge

OK, so I have never traveled outside of teh UK and have been about five places IN the UK. I have never really wanted to travel, I am a homebody

(I have cut a lot out as it is very repetitive about travel)

You readily adapt to change and home is where you hang your hat. This is both a strength, because it is a survival mechanism, and a weakness because it makes you vulnerable to the demands and influence of others. Frank Sagittarius does not hesitate to give an honest opinion, which can seem tactless at times – although it is rarely your intention to be cruel. You have a ready wit and appreciate the humour in even the grimmest situations.

I like to be settled in one place, I like to feel at home and it takes a long time for me to feel at home in a place, so that isn't very me, either. I also try very hard to be tactful (I may not always succeed but I would say I am far from 'tactless')

Energy and Enthusiasm

Needless to say, you much prefer to be the boss in any situation and must constantly watch your tongue in the unhappy event that you find yourself (temporarily!!) in the position of an underling. Before you assess the practicality or worth of what you are doing, before you sort out your true emotions, and before you take time to reason things out intellectually, you have a tendency to shoot first and ask questions later. Communication-oriented Sagittarians are forever bubbling with energy and enthusiasm. Independent and hard to pin down for long, this is the sign of the bachelor, but even married Sagittarians seek to maintain some aspect of personal independence.

This isn't me at all, either. I like to be part of a partnership.

Jupiter, the benefic planet of fortune and good luck, endows a generous nature with a friendly, optimistic disposition. A natural politician, you like knowing everyone and going everywhere,
I actually liek to stay in my comfort zone and know relatively few people, but the people I DO know I know very well and love immensely, which I guess is teh opposite of what it is saying here.

Enthusiastic Sagittarius has a passion for sports. Physically challenging endeavours of all kinds, including archery, jogging, hang gliding, sailing, and fishing (especially for big game fish) are favourite activities. One big challenge to overcome may be the battle of the bulge, when your fondness for food, glorious food and a good drop finally catches up with you. A natural gambler and risk-taker, you usually come out on the winning side, especially when you try your luck at horse or dog racing. You love music, art, dance, and drama and have considerable talent in these areas.

This bit is quite close. I used to be quite sporty but became too tall to become a gymnast, and I studied drama and dance. The sports mentioned, however, do not interest me in the slightest. I do not like gambling (though the poker thing kind of undermines me saying this - I would rather not play for money, but I enjoy the game and see it as a game to play for 60p a week. Er, I hadn't played before, me winning and coming second a number of times is purely coincidental :P

Well, for me, most things here are actually the opposite of my character, but then they'd be bang on for some folks, like any description I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 

Whew...well whoever said the forum was quiet is wrong now :s

Okay, whatever I say is going to be termed as 'WRONG' so I don't really care what people say

Seriously though-it's great to hear other people's input and I value everyone's opinion, but everyone still thinks their own one is right and that's how we should live :) I'm glad the topic started as you get a feel for what people are like when they start voicing thier opinions e.t.c

I am not a hippy or a gooey eyed loser though before anyone says -_-; hehe

Duds-I was starting to like you aswell :( Nyah :p hehe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:55 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Shin wrote:

Uh...yeah pretty much so

... that applies to quite literally everyone in the universe.

"you don't like imposed changes" - nobody does, by definition.

"you are averse to blah blah spanner in the works" - again, by definition, of course you're averse to things that fuck everything up. Everyone is.

"when confronted with unreasonable demands blah blah you rebel" - once again, absolutely everyone, when confronted with something they find unreasonable, will rebel somehow.

"like to test things for themselves, but, once convinced, become firm in their determination to see things through" - sorry, how is this revealing anything, exactly? It's saying "once you're convinced by something, you act as though you're convinced by it". Utterly bloody redundant.

"Anyone who wants to get on side with you needs to see what must be done and share the load without being asked." - ie: to get in your good books, people have to agree with you and help you. Well fucking DUH.

Seriously, break it down and look at it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 

I like it, that's all there is to it. No changing my mind, I believe in it and that's that for me

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

sinister agent wrote:

Seriously, break it down

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:57 
That Rev Chap

One of the wonderful things about the human brain is to be able to believe in two different, mutually exclusive realities while knowing that they're both mutually exclusive.

For example, I am hardcore sceptic who believes science has the only answers in terms of everything that happens. I also believe, as I said, that other dimensions of strange beasts and beings of all kinds can intermingle can and do intermingle with our own reality.

Obviously the first of those is true and the second I simply believe because I choose to, despite there not being any scientific evidence for it whatsoever. (And, indeed, quite a lot of evidence that it doesn't actually happen.)

One worldview is testable, verifiable, useful and should be taught in schools, the other is a personal fancy which I believe or disbelieve depending on what I want to believe on any given day.

I can quite happily believe that faeries are real, that London is alive and that the ground underneath knows me and has a connection to me that goes back millennia, while also believing that all that's absolute rubbish.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe in a base-level reality, which is shown to us through the scientific method. I also believe in another level of... well, "reality" is very much the wrong word, maybe "existence", which is personal, but possibly not completely internal. It's important to note that I use the word "real" for the scientific level and not the other level, but language really isn't set up very well to express my beliefs fully and I know anyone reading this far will just think I believe in faeries in the same way someone else might believe in a god or gods, which isn't true at all. (Because believers in a god often confuse the two levels of belief. I'm quite happy slotting my beliefs into the appropriate layer.)

Hmm. Okay, how's this? I believe fully in both fact and fiction, see that one is common and real, but also believe that fictions have a life of their own and may be older than the first human to invent them... but not really, obviously. Except, you know, sort of. Just, of course, not.

No, see, that doesn't work.

I just don't know how to explain myself, but I quite genuinely would not be surprised if characters I wrote about in my fiction turned up at my front door one day. I wouldn't be surprised if other people could also see and interact with them. But I'd be very, very surprised if you could capture them on camera or take DNA samples.

I also know, of course, that this would never happen, because it's not in any way possible.

There's just at least two levels of belief and knowledge about the universe, one real, one fictional, both valid. (Fictional is the wrong word, but I can't think of a better one.) And I think that's true for every single person in the world. I think it's part of the human mind. The trouble comes when people are unable or unwilling to realise this and act as if their fictional universe is objectively, measurably out there. It may well be out there, but it's not fucking real. You're still nothing but worm food when you die, there's no heaven and you'll never, ever be able to take a faerie to a scientist for examination. (And not just because they're smarter than you, though they are.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:59 
UltraMod

Or there are multiple realities where everything that could possibly exist, exists.

Can anyone tell I've been watching Sliders lately?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:59 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Seriously, break it down

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:01 
Excellent Member

sinister agent wrote:
... that applies to quite literally everyone in the universe.

Yeah, it's pretty-much a definitive collection of Barnum statements. :D

Heavy Metal Tough Guy

I liked the ones they used to put in The Onion -

Sagittarius November 22 - December 21
By the end of the week, you'll be the nation's foremost expert on muskrat attacks, industrial glue mishaps, and rare Egyptian curses.

Oh god, cue rant about dimension X here

I really shouldn't read shit that no-one else does

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:02 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
I like it, that's all there is to it. No changing my mind, I believe in it and that's that for me

"I've made up my mind - don't confuse me with the facts!" ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 

Ian Osborne wrote:
Shin wrote:

"I've made up my mind - don't confuse me with the facts!" ;)

Asshole...

I'm grinning actually :D I knew people would say that

I like taking things on faith alone now and again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:03 
Excellent Member

ComicalGnomes wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Seriously, break it down

Attachment:
hammerzeit.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:04 
Legendary Boogeyman

My life is controlled entirely by the flying spaghetti monster. That guy is an owner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 
UltraMod

Hammerzeit is probably my favourite picture of all-time ever. I wish I had a poster of it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:05 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
I'm grinning actually :D I knew people would say that[/color]

Well, we Taureans are known for being predictable...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 

Ian Osborne wrote:
Shin wrote:
I'm grinning actually :D I knew people would say that[/color]

Well, we Taureans are known for being predictable...

Too far my love, too far

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 
I forgot about this - how vain

Ian Osborne wrote:
markg wrote:
Hmm, much as I like that Bad Astronomy site it strikes me as utterly pointless for a NASA scientist to be debunking astrology. Anyone who cares about things like facts or evidence probably realised it was all guff when they were about six years old and anyone who believes in astrology isn't going to give a toss what any scientist has to say.

Who better than a NASA scientist to debunk astrology? At the extremes, people will already have made up their minds one way or another, but what about the middle ground occupied by those who could be convinced? Astrology is everywhere. Debunking articles from people who really know what they're talking about are few. Education is the enemy of superstition...

From experience, when an astronomer does any kind of public outreach about 20% of people will confuse them with an Astrologer.

As Astronomers want to publicise the wonderful world they get to work in they need to address that issue.

EDIT: 5 pages! Wow. I slept a long time!

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next