Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:57 
Not to be confused with elbow

Anyone into Star Signs, Zodiac, Tarot e.t.c? I'm sure there will be a few, 'Not that shit' posts following this -_-;I actually LOVE the bloody stuff :)

Plus the corny chat up line, 'What sign are you?' always works with me

Post subject: Re: Stuff'n'Things
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:06 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Shin wrote:

The correct answer to that is always "No Entry".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:25 
I forgot about this - how vain

Shin wrote:
Anyone into Star Signs, Zodiac, Tarot e.t.c? I'm sure there will be a few, 'Not that shit' posts following this -_-;I actually LOVE the bloody stuff :)

I'm an Astronomer (for another month at least).

I loathe astrology. It's a hideous method of degrading the achievements of humanity whilst simultaneously managing to belittle the lives of people. And thats just when it's being read for 'fun' in magazines.

When it's being used to influnence the president of the USA or even worse when Burma's military government to this day is controlled by astrology to the extent that they uprooted the entire army at 4am and moved it all to live in the jungle because their astrologers told them too, then it manages to promote itself from 'annoying bit of nonsense' to 'genuine threat to human life'.

If an astrologer tells someone that surrounding himself with the number nine would make him live till 90 you might say that is harmless and fine. But when thats the leader of Burma and he withdraws the nations currancy and replaces it with one where all the notes either have a 9 in them or add up to 9 (like a $45 note) it beomes a little more serious.

Especially when 1000's die of starvation because it caused the economy to completely collapse.

And yeah, sure thats not Our astrology that would never happen here. But thats not the point. Both British and Burmese Astrology encourages and promotes a blinkered world view and wooly thinking which at best leads to people making important life changing decisions without truly thinking the decision through, and at worst destroys fucking countries and the journey from one extreme to the other is facilitated by the people who just find it 'fun'.

Edit: Ooh Sorry, this is quite a rant! But it's nothing personal or anything :) , I'm just not going to pretend that Astrology, Tarot and the like is anything other than a brain drain on the scienitific, spiritual, humane and ethical possibilities of mankind just because people I know and like, like them.

This is just what happens when I stop doing my blog for a while so don't take it as a rant at you, just one at the world in general.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Post subject: Re: Bits and Bobs 3
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:16 

I agree with everything Skeptobot just said. Superstition of any form is a weakens the human race.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 
Gogmagog

richardgaywood wrote:
I agree with everything Skeptobot just said. Superstition of any form is a weakens the human race.

:this:

Please also add the following: Homeopathy, Faith Healing, Reikki, New Age crystals and shit like that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:29 
UltraMod

Reikki is quite scary stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 
EvilTrousers

richardgaywood wrote:

Agreement.

Just reading Blind Faith by Ben Elton at the moment - scary vision of what we could end up like - more chance of it happening than 1984 which makes it even more frightening.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 
Gogmagog

myoptika wrote:
Reikki is quite scary stuff.

It's a fucking rip off designed to get money off stupid people to 'teach' them it and then get money off stupider people who believe in it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:37 
UltraMod

It's a poor man's Scientology.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:39 
Comfortably Dumb

Lave wrote:
Shin wrote:

I'm an Astronomer (for another month at least).

I loathe astrology. It's a hideous method of degrading the achievements of humanity whilst simultaneously managing to belittle the lives of people. And thats just when it's being read for 'fun' in magazines.

When it's being used to influnence the president of the USA or even worse when Burma's military government to this day is controlled by astrology to the extent that they uprooted the entire army at 4am and moved it all to live in the jungle because their astrologers told them too, then it manages to promote itself from 'annoying bit of nonsense' to 'genuine threat to human life'.

If an astrologer tells someone that surrounding himself with the number nine would make him live till 90 you might say that is harmless and fine. But when thats the leader of Burma and he withdraws the nations currancy and replaces it with one where all the notes either have a 9 in them or add up to 9 (like a $45 note) it beomes a little more serious.

Especially when 1000's die of starvation because it caused the economy to completely collapse.

And yeah, sure thats not Our astrology that would never happen here. But thats not the point. Both British and Burmese Astrology encourages and promotes a blinkered world view and wooly thinking which at best leads to people making important life changing decisions without truly thinking the decision through, and at worse destroys fucking countries and the journey from one extreme to the other is facilitated by the people who just find it 'fun'.

Edit: Ooh Sorry, this is quite a rant! But it's nothing personal or anything :) , I'm just not going to pretend that Astrology, Tarot and the like is anything other than a brain drain on the scienitific, spiritual, humane and ethical possibilities of mankind just because people I know and like, like them.

This is just what happens when I stop doing my blog for a while so don't take it as a rant at you, just one at the world in general.

Only a Leo would say that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:41 
EvilTrousers

devilman wrote:

Genuine Friday guffaw from me. Award yourself a suitable number of bananas please.

Post subject: Re: Astrology - tealeafriffic or tarotble (SUB PLEASE CHANGE)?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:19 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The actual practice of reiki can have some mild therapeutic benefit for general, mild aches and mild pains, particularly those that are psychosomatic or worsened by stress. It's probably nothing more than deep relaxation, but still. I've tried it (a friend does it, see, and offered for free) once, when I was having a very unpleasant pain in my foot that made it difficult to walk. It helped a great deal. As I say, quite possibly just because it helped me to relax to a degree I wouldn't normally have (if there hadn't been someone standing there, I'd have probably just fallen asleep instead), and in some cases I'm sure the placebo effect can be cited (not mine - seriously, I didn't think it'd do any good, I'd been limping for a week), but as a treatment it's not entirely without merit. 'course, I wouldn't accept it in lieu of properly researched and proven medical treatment, and neither should anyone.

The beliefs and talk of energy and healing powers and assorted hippy tokens are another matter, mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:23 
Excellent Member

Astrology debunked (at length) by NASA scientist Phil Plait.

And a word or two from James Randi.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:35 

I don't believe in astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're sceptical.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 
Excellent Member

Its all a load of bs I'm pretty sure, but I do like reading the star signs in the Metro.

LAst week, it was extremely predictive of my employment prospectives (in that the very same day I got the call about interviews etc).

SO, while I'm sure its all coincidental non descript crap that if you really want to, you can fit to any aspect of your life, it is harmless fun.

Anyone who it harms is dumb and deserves that harm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:39 
Excellent Member

Validation for the weak. Do these people genuinely think that Fate/the Gods/the stars give a flying shit about some housewife in Croydon?

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:47 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Plissken wrote:
Validation for the weak. Do these people genuinely think that Fate/the Gods/the stars give a flying shit about some housewife in Croydon?

This always gets me when people say there's "someone looking out for them" or somesuch. What, so, some divine being decided to spend its time helping you paint your shed or avoid stubbing your toe or win a tenner, and not, for example, helping some poor disease-ridden villager in the Congo protect his kids from the paramilitaries? You're really that important?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:50 

Hmm, much as I like that Bad Astronomy site it strikes me as utterly pointless for a NASA scientist to be debunking astrology. Anyone who cares about things like facts or evidence probably realised it was all guff when they were about six years old and anyone who believes in astrology isn't going to give a toss what any scientist has to say.

The way I see it is that astrology is just a very obvious example of something everyone does, even the most rational of people aren't "truth computers" living their lives making every single decision by carefully balancing facts and evidence. Most of us weigh personal experience far more heavily than facts even if we know they are correct. We know that it is statistically very safe to fly in an airliner, however even the most logical of people would probably be immensely nervous flying again if they had ever survived a crash. If a relationship ends particularly badly then we might be overly wary going into the next one. Similarly someone who once read an eerily accurate prediction based on astrology is going to look at them more carefully even if they know on one level that it's probably bollocks.

I guess I'm just saying that it's alright to point and laugh at people for having silly beliefs but a bit of careful and honest introspection should reveal that we all do, it's only a matter of the extent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:52 
Peculiar, yet lovely

markg wrote:
I guess I'm just saying that it's alright to point and laugh at people for having silly beliefs but a bit of careful and honest introspection should reveal that we all do, it's only a matter of the extent.

The difference with astrology, though, is that millions of con artists make a lot of money out of lying about those silly beliefs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:53 

Well so does pretty much every marketing person who ever lived.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 
Excellent Member

Marketing is emphasising a truth. Conning someone is an out and out lie.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 
Excellent Member

markg wrote:
Hmm, much as I like that Bad Astronomy site it strikes me as utterly pointless for a NASA scientist to be debunking astrology. Anyone who cares about things like facts or evidence probably realised it was all guff when they were about six years old and anyone who believes in astrology isn't going to give a toss what any scientist has to say.

Who better than a NASA scientist to debunk astrology? At the extremes, people will already have made up their minds one way or another, but what about the middle ground occupied by those who could be convinced? Astrology is everywhere. Debunking articles from people who really know what they're talking about are few. Education is the enemy of superstition...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:05 
INFINITE POWAH

LaceSensor wrote:
Anyone who it harms is dumb and deserves that harm.

Including the people of Burma? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:06 

I thought I'd been drinking then as I couldn't remember making this topic, someone kindly made it for me :)

Thank you! :kiss:

I LOVE astrology, there's nothing stupid about liking it. I hate people when they say 'you're daft if you like that stuff'

But that's probably because I'm an Aquarian and we are the best

I just think it's nice to do your own charts and things and it doesn't cost money if you buy one book on it, cards e.t.c it's just another interesting thing to take an interest in, plus sometimes they are pretty bloody spot on. I keep a diary and I also have my Aquarius year book too (70p-not exactly breaking the bank is it?) I then look at it after the year has gone by and see whether it was right. To be honest it has been. The best book at the moment I've got on astrology is:

Blame your planet! It's the evil version of the cutesy wootesy stuff they put about you and shows your bad side, very interesting and also very true! I am an aloof alien with no concept of time or human emotions-noice!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:07 
Excellent Member

Have you read the links I offered on astrology? You'd like it a lot less if you could see through it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby. There is a problem when people are relying on it to make important decisions about their lives and the lives of others.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:10 

Christ I'm not that sad! I don't think, 'oooh, I'll have a look whether I should break up with my partner if it says so,' that's just fucking stupid.

Ian- I'd prefer not to thanks, just like the way a rainbow is-I appreciate things I don't understand because they seem all mysterious and cool, please don't shatter my fragile shell. Sometimes it's just nice liking something because you do, without the hard science :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:13 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:

Sometimes it's just nice liking something because you do, without the hard science :p

And Richard Dawkins wept.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
Ian- I'd prefer not to thanks, just like the way a rainbow is-I appreciate things I don't understand because they seem all mysterious and cool, please don't shatter my fragile shell. Sometimes it's just nice liking something because you do, without the hard science :p

Yes, sometimes, but astrology makes scientific claims. This necessitates scientific validation, something on which it fails miserably. With the greatest respect, I just can't understand why you'd celebrate wilful ignorance in this way. Where's the fun in being conned?

Nice place, Shrewsbury, btw. I used to live in Ludlow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 
Excellent Member

Ian Osborne wrote:
Nice place, Shrewsbury, btw.

Ah, so Shin is in Shrewsbury. That explains a lot. A team from Shrewsbury went on Scrapheap Challenge. Out of habit, they built a Wicker Man.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:17 
UltraMod

Nice to see you back Mr Osborne. *doffs cap*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 

What really gets me going is people rejecting surgery for cancer to follow homepathic or other alternative medicines, who of course end up dead not long after. I've always been in favour of pursuing the sellers for at least manslaughter under those circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:28 

Plissken wrote:
Ah, so Shin is in Shrewsbury. That explains a lot. A team from Shrewsbury went on Scrapheap Challenge. Out of habit, they built a Wicker Man.

It's my mission in life to eradicate all astrologists from this town. Shin just doesn't realise it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:29 
INFINITE POWAH

Indeed, Mr HappyCopse. "You have cancer? Here, have some water which may or may not have been within spitting distance of a molecule of [miracle remedy x] at some point. Oh. You died. Well, it wasn't the medicine's fault."

Cunts.

And the fact that this shit is now being peddled through the NHS really, really makes my blood boil.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 
UltraMod

I can't believe Patrick Moore got a knighthood for it. It's encouraging the whole stupid business.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 
INFINITE POWAH

Yeah, but he's ace, so I could forgive him anything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 

The great thing about homeopathy is, the less curative left in the medicine, the better it works. Right now I'm drinking tapwater to cure my ills.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:39 

*Sighs* A little piece of my soul dies each time when I return to this thread :'(

Ah well, I'll carry on liking it and people will carry on hating it, the world shall still turn

Now, Gareth *mother tone* who was sat there last night letting me read star signs to him? I think it was you hunny bunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:39 
What-ho, chaps!

myoptika wrote:
I can't believe Patrick Moore got a knighthood for it. It's encouraging the whole stupid business.

Cheats are serious business.
(Wow! That's the coolest double meaning I've ever unintentionally written!)

Quote:

Leos are awesome because (mostly) we're born in the summer holidays which means we don't have to have an awful, half-baked 'school day' birthday.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 

I can't believe that anyone actually believes in the nonsense to be honest.

It actually boggles my mind that there's anyone with an ounce of sense that ever reads that guff, much less spends money on it, I can't understand why these people allow themselves to be conned so openly.

Astrology and any kind of spiritual foretelling or contacting of the deceased is always so general and sweeping that it applies to everyone. I'm pretty sure that most people here could learn to cold read and pass themselves off as an astrologer reading charts or a tarot card/crystal ball/palm reader.

You know who's best at cold reading? Derren Brown - he's really very skilled at it - and what does he tell us of Astrology, tarot and the like? He says it is boll*cks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:40 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
Nice to see you back Mr Osborne. *doffs cap*

Why, thank you, but I haven't been away for any great length of time - I'm simply a light poster here. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 
Excellently persuasive

Mimi wrote:
You know who's best at cold reading? Derren Brown - he's really very skilled at it - and what does he tell us of Astrology, tarot and the like? He says it is boll*cks.

Why yes, I do say it is boll*cks.

Thanks for having my back, Mimi.

Shin wrote:
Now, Gareth *mother tone* who was sat there last night letting me read star signs to him? I think it was you hunny bunny

It's called "humouring someone" ;)

UltraMod

Ah, contacting the deceased, ghosts and that kind of thing is another kettle of fish. I'm not sure where I stand on that one.

Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:

But Patrick Moore's an astronomer, not an astrologer. He's on record as saying astrology is bunk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 
UltraMod

GazChap wrote:
Shin wrote:

It's called "humouring someone" ;)

Remind her that it works both ways next time you decide to down the brown instead of sinking the pink.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 
What-ho, chaps!

Does it really matter all that much what order you eat French Fancies?

(Yes it does. Pink > brown > yellow.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 

I can't believe I'm actually getting wound up about this, it's horrible but I always feel like it's an attack on my character if people don't agree with what I like e.t.c, it's an awful god complex type thing :s

Gaz-I am going to ignore that, because I like you.

Myp-That is so wrong on so many levels

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
The great thing about homeopathy is, the less curative left in the medicine, the better it works.

The sheer illogicality of that should tip off even the meanest intelligence, even absent any actual "facts".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:46 
Excellent Member

Shin wrote:
I can't believe I'm actually getting wound up about this, it's horrible but I always feel like it's an attack on my character if people don't agree with what I like e.t.c, it's an awful god complex type thing :s

Just because you think something, doesn't mean it is right.

Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next