Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kate Moss sucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:01 
Legendary Boogeyman

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7585440.stm

Are you fucking *kidding* me? What is it about this fucking woman? She was a vaguely-known-to-a-few-of-the-general-public 'supermodel', then gets a load of rag about being a drug-snorting moron, nips through a quick detox, and suddenly people just won't shut the fuck up about her.

Seriously, she lost a few contracts then won back more than ever, released a line of clothes (which I'm SURE SHE DESIGNED PERSONALLY), and every whisper that parts her lips is documented and fed into the media.

Am I the only one who thinks she has a very plain if not a bit minging face, with a rake-thin undesirable body and the crappest pair of boobs I've seen for some time?

Yes.

Post subject: Re: Reasons to move to an Island
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 
Best
Board Mother

I don't really like her either. These people are roles models and should behave in an appropriate manner.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:09 
Not to be confused with elbow

I hate that woman. There is npthing attractive about having sex with a bloody coat hanger :/

No wonder society is fucked up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 
I forgot about this - how vain

Another Island surely?

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 
Best
Board Mother

Agreed, give me some flesh anyday!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:12 
Legendary Boogeyman

I do hate hugging skinny women, it's like hugging a skeleton and is quite unpleasant.

I mean small island, Lave. If you want to get picky everything is an island, just a really fucking big one :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:18 

Yeah that was overly pedantic, even for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 

I think I'll make a LOVE YOURSELF! thread :D lol.

No-one is 100% happy with how they look, but come ON, how is it right that if the supermodels turn sideways and stick out their tongues they looks like zips? Nope *shakes head* it's because the clothes hang on them nice that's why, clothes also hang nice on my coat hanger, but do I want to look like one? Nope. Very happy with my fantabulous rack thank you so much

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:22 
Legendary Boogeyman

Shin wrote:
No-one is 100% happy with how they look

I am, I'm awesome. Haven't you seen my brain?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:23 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Shin wrote:
No-one is 100% happy with how they look

I am, I'm awesome. Haven't you seen my brain?

I have dear, it was rather superlative :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I personally think Kate Moss is extremely pretty - but then I have a thing for ladies with small features. Not a fan of her figure.

I think there's this awful cyclical thing going on though. The media put people in front of us every single day, because we want to hear all about famous people, for some strange reason. Then we complain that they're bad role models. Why should a model be a role model, any more than a plumber should? The more awful the story, the more we want to read about it, the more we complain about it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:40 
Best
Board Mother

While I do agree with you from a media perspective Craster, I think anyone that knowingly puts themselves in the public eye (such as a model) should realise they are in a position of responsability.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 

Exactly, that's like me going down a busy street naked and then saying, 'Oh-I didn't know people would see me!'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I'm not sure why being in the public eye is a position of responsibility though. Models aren't teachers, politicians, or academics - their role in life isn't to teach us about right and wrong. We need to be wondering why people view models and other celebrities as role models, not trying to turn everyone into examples for our children - because they're flat out the wrong people to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:47 

I think this is an 'agree to disagree' type thing really

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 
Best
Board Mother

Because whether we like it or not most little girls want to grow up to be a model at some point in their lives. It's a very unhealthy message for a child to lean at such a young age that to be beautiful is to be a size 0. I'm not just including models in this though, the media plays a big part in it too. And Barbie dolls.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Because whether we like it or not most little girls want to grow up to be a model at some point in their lives. It's a very unhealthy message for a child to lean at such a young age that to be beautiful is to be a size 0. I'm not just including models in this though, the media plays a big part in it too. And Barbie dolls.

Ah, now that's slightly different. That's not saying that Kate Moss is a bad role model, that's saying that the fashion industry is fostering an unhealthy culture of unrealistic body image. And I completely agree.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:51 

Finally jab in here before wrestling the cats off the frigging bed-

Jst look at the number of kids now that are anorexic? I mean they START at 7 some of them!!

I blame Hannah Montana and those skanky Olsen's...I wonder if I can borrow Si's crossbow?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:54 
Best
Board Mother

But she is a bad role model because she's encouraging it and (in combination with the media) is showing that to be beautiful and popular includes the taking of drugs etc. I don't just mean her or models obv. But I hope you can see where I'm (proably badly) trying to come from on this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:57 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
But she is a bad role model because she's encouraging it and (in combination with the media) is showing that to be beautiful and popular includes the taking of drugs etc. I don't just mean her or models obv. But I hope you can see where I'm (proably badly) trying to come from on this.

Not badly at all, and I completely understand - I just think it's naive of us as a society to call these sort of people role models when we know they are the worst kind of people. Trying to convert people like models into people who are going to be good examples to children is, face it, never going to happen. There's no point blaming them for it - let's just teach our children what values they should be looking for in real role models.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:06 

Yeah, the raising of celebrities to role models and authority figuers is a real problem I think.

Which makes this celebrity my new crush. (And ironically I don't know who she is)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 
Excellent Painter

ComicalGnomes wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7585440.stm

Are you fucking *kidding* me? What is it about this fucking woman? She was a vaguely-known-to-a-few-of-the-general-public 'supermodel', then gets a load of rag about being a drug-snorting moron, nips through a quick detox, and suddenly people just won't shut the fuck up about her.

Seriously, she lost a few contracts then won back more than ever, released a line of clothes (which I'm SURE SHE DESIGNED PERSONALLY), and every whisper that parts her lips is documented and fed into the media.

Am I the only one who thinks she has a very plain if not a bit minging face, with a rake-thin undesirable body and the crappest pair of boobs I've seen for some time?

Yes.

It's no secret why she's successful. Everything she represents professionally does better. That's empirical. That's why she's so successful as a model. I've never worked with her but I have met her a couple of times and she is nothing extraordinary to look at and yes, both occasions she was "out of it". So, you might not get it, or her and she might be an airhead, but she's like Midas when it comes to promoting companies in the fashion industry. And she works very very hard at maintaining that profile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:57 
making out to faces of death

Craster wrote:
Not badly at all, and I completely understand - I just think it's naive of us as a society to call these sort of people role models when we know they are the worst kind of people.

We know, but children don't. And they look up to them, admire them, and want to be like them. If your career and (substantial) income are based on being a public figure, then part of that deal is that your actions have consequences that reach further than your personal life.

Lots of people don't do drugs, and can never take drugs, not even legally (overseas maybe, like some weed in Amsterdam) because the companies they work for or want to work for carry out compulsory drugs testing. All people are really asking of Kate Moss is to not get caught. Preferably to not do anything of the kind in public. That's part of her responsibility as a role model, because she is one, as a public figure. Just like being in charge of railway line maintenance means you're responsible for the lives of others even if that isn't why you wanted the job.

Kate Moss could run a business, or work in a call centre, or whatever. She chose a career that involves a degree of responsibility for her actions. The bitter irony though, is that the size 0 model culture is likely a large pressure for taking drugs., but they're maybe two seperate issues, albeit related.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 
UltraMod

ComicalGnomes wrote:
I mean small island, Lave. If you want to get picky everything is an island, just a really fucking big one :P

Texas is an island?!?!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:58 
Excellent Member

Agyness Deyn FTW!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:00 
Excellent Member

myoptika wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I mean small island, Lave. If you want to get picky everything is an island, just a really fudge big one :P

Texas is an island?!?!?

dunno about that, but I think some divergent evolution has taken place there, akin to the galapagos islands. I hear their like a completely different species now...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 
Son of a Reaperman

Are you lot joking? She's fucking hot-to-trot. There's an art shop on the walk to work which often has a large black and white photo of her leaning against a car, looking stunning. I'm assuming it was very cold when this particular photo was taken. Many a morning I've had to employ my last minute lamp post avoidance skills ogling at that I can tell you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:00 

TMuk wrote:
Are you lot joking? She's fucking hot-to-trot. There's an art shop on the walk to work which often has a large black and white photoshop of her leaning against a car, looking stunning. I'm assuming it was very cold when this particular photoshop was shopped.

FTFY.

Lave wrote:
Yeah, the raising of celebrities to role models and authority figuers is a real problem I think.

Which makes this celebrity my new crush. (And ironically I don't know who she is)

I do. Good choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:03 
UltraMod

Bleurgh. Sorry, but she mings mercilessly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:07 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

AceAceBaby wrote:
Kate Moss could run a business, or work in a call centre, or whatever. She chose a career that involves a degree of responsibility for her actions.[/color]

Nonsense. She chose a career where she gets to lounge around looking pretty in pretty outfits. There is, and never will be, any inherent responsibility in a career like modelling. There's a degree of responsibility in the agencies that tell them what to look like and what to wear, but that's about it.

You'll never turn someone into a role model just because you want them to be. We should be concentrating on positive role models, not bemoaning the negative ones whilst simultanously lapping up every drop of media spewn tittle-tattle which just encourages their behaviour.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 
Son of a Reaperman

Page 3 of today's Sun. She must have shocking circulation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 
UltraMod

Kate Moss is only a role-model to any other aspiring fashion models (and she's bloody good at modelling). What she does in her private life has nothing to do with that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:25 
Son of a Reaperman

And besides, if the newspapers didn't keep on screaming out things like KATE MOSS IN COKE ORGY, nobody would be any the wiser.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:28 
Peculiar, yet lovely

myoptika wrote:
Kate Moss is only a role-model to any other aspiring fashion models (and she's bloody good at modelling). What she does in her private life has nothing to do with that.

Exactly. Next time you meet a little girl, ask them something - anything - about Kate Moss. 99 out of 100 won't have a clue who you're on about, much less care.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 
Legendary Boogeyman

Please do go off on a tangent whenever you're ready, people. This is a generic hate thread, y'know.

Some people think madonna is attractive, but I think she's one of the most hideously ugly people alive today. Her face is just hell, and that gappy-tooth grin? Arrrarahgh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:09 

She looks like a chewed boot!

I prefer the classic ladies myself.

Jodie Foster-I'd do her if I was gay

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:11 
Soopah red DS

She's no reason to move, though. I mean, why would I ever see a news story about her (maybe for a second, but then the page would be turned, or the channel changed). And she *never* phones or calls round any more.

Now the phrase "In terms of", liberally used, especially by semi-articulate business-types as a kind of verbal tic, when most often they aren't talking 'in terms of' anything. I have many examples. But that one, and "like" might make me move. Seriously - will you help me kill them, CG? There will be a lot of killing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:14 
Legendary Boogeyman

My major barriers to manual killing are the time commitment, and the fact that knives start to go blunt after the 14th victim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
Kate Moss could run a business, or work in a call centre, or whatever. She chose a career that involves a degree of responsibility for her actions.[/color]

Nonsense. She chose a career where she gets to lounge around looking pretty in pretty outfits. There is, and never will be, any inherent responsibility in a career like modelling. There's a degree of responsibility in the agencies that tell them what to look like and what to wear, but that's about it.

Indeed. There are hundreds of thousands of models. How many of them have you heard of? Moss is only being put in this "she's a role model!" position because the press has fixated on her and report everything about her, raising her profile in the public consciousness and creating the cycle that Craster mentioned earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:21 
Soopah red DS

ComicalGnomes wrote:
My major barriers to manual killing are the time commitment, and the fact that knives start to go blunt after the 14th victim.

I shall find some wmds. To Iraq!

What?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:37 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

ComicalGnomes wrote:

Surely you've worked out how to avoid hitting bone by now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 
Excellent Member

JBR wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

I shall find some wmds. To Iraq!

Do what the Americans did. Use U2 spy planes to look for them.

Oh hold on. On second thoughts, don't. They still haven't found what they're looking for.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:40 
UltraMod

Plissken wrote:
Do what the Americans did. Use U2 spy planes to look for them.

That's where they went wrong. Fucking hell, Bono is useless at everything, isn't he?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:40 
Best
Board Mother

ComicalGnomes wrote:

I would provide you with one of those super duper professional chef's knives. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:40 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Plissken wrote:
Use U2 spy planes to look for them.
They still haven't found what they're looking for.

Many bananas.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:41 

I'd move there on my own...but with the cats and then no-one would confront me with hard science!lol.
Sorry, I'm naggy pants today for some reason

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:47 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Cats are historically extreme proponents of the scientific method. Schrodinger's cat, particularly. Then again, he may not have been.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 

Plissken wrote:
Use U2 spy planes to look for them.

Oh hold on. On second thoughts, don't. They still haven't found what they're looking for.

They're also useless for finding streets with no name.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 

I can't get rid of my cats though >.<

Damnit! Science at every turn! One day I shall be able to fight my corner with evidence and then I shall be insufferable! I am already, but more so :p

I think maybe I should go back to my natural red hair, I'd have an excuse for being fiery in an arguement then. Arguements give me brain ache -_-;

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:50 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Cats are historically extreme proponents of the scientific method. Schrodinger's cat, particularly. Then again, he may not have been.

*bang*

Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next