Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What to do with Bits & Bobs?
Leave everything as it is - it's wonderful; 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Ban B&B and anything that faintly resembles it - it'll be the death of BEEX 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Leave B&B in place but mods should split out anything interesting (they should do *something* to earn their pay) 67%  67%  [ 29 ]
Leave B&B in place but institute a "nothing interesting in here which may warrant more than one response" type rule for it 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: Discussing the bits and bobs suspension
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:52 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:
Shin wrote:
Um....yes Mr.Chris

Aha! He said *all sorts of things* about you on here. Oh yes indeed.

Ironically, we've been discussing this in the Bits and Bobs thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:53 
INFINITE POWAH

Oh indeed, the ironing.

I have made *such* a faux pas. I shall not be able to show my face at the Golf Club for weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Of course - the poll will only reflect the views of the minority who post here regularly, so.... Oh.

Heavens! This is complicated stuff. The mods must need super-huge brains to deal with it all. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:55 
Not to be confused with elbow

Actually I have already seen all the posts about me as that was the first thing I thought I'd do-just do determine if he was worth hanging on to ;p

I vooooted

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 

I thought we were already doing #3 :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 13:05 

Dudley wrote:
I thought we were already doing #3 :P

Shhhhh ;p

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 13:05 
Excellent Painter

3 the golden mean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 13:11 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Quote:
I am somehow able to scroll back a few pages to start reading it from the beginning!

Wo, wo, wo! Slow down Einstein!
Are we really having a 2 page arguement whether to have a thread to discuss crap in? Almost every thread degenerates into crap, and if it is a "serious" thread, it (de)generates a second split thread, as the first four posts are split from it as being off topic!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 14:44 
I forgot about this - how vain

I don't like the bits and bobs thread because it contains interesting thread worthy stuff that I miss because I'm not constantly checking it.

This forum is bits and bobs. We don't need a meta-forum-within-a-forum going on.

I don't lose sleep over it though.

EDIT: So I went for the last option. Despite preferring it not exist.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 14:46 
making out to faces of death

The other extreme would be like the AVforums where you have categories, never mind topics, split out for Gaming vs XBox vs Xbox 360 vs Online Gaming vs XBox 360 Live, vs etc etc etc.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 15:05 

I think that'd do my brain in...

Why don't we try option 3 for a bit and see if it works? It's not like the word'll end is it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:39 
UltraMod

Can I vote for somewhere in between options 3 and 4 (cos I'm awkward, like)? Although I do agree that if an interesting discussion comes out of BnB it should be split out, a mod is not always going to be around (or available to trawl through BnB to look for them). Perhaps if this happens and no one's around to split it, perhaps someone could take the initiative and create a thread for it? We should all be working to make this an interesting place to read together.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:45 
Gogmagog

I LIKE IT WHEN SMALL PUPPIES WALK CLOSE TO RIVERS AND THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME AS IT MEANS LUNCH AND WITHOUT BITS AND BOBS I AM HOMELESS, YOU HEARTLESS COCKFAGS FROM THE 6TH WANKBOTTOM OF HELL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:53 
SupaMod

I really hate general chit-chat kind of threads. My "regular" forum has one of these, it has run to 717 pages I believe and while there is some legendary stuff within it, it's just too much work to follow what is going on, and I am one of the regulars... I only ever read it when somebody links to it from elsewhere on the board. If you've got something to say, just make a thread ffs, even if it probably isn't worth it. Where's the harm?

Oh, and if you really must have a thread of this sort, don't call it something so camp as "bits and bobs" kthx. "Bits and bobs" is the domain of pottering middle-aged housewives and senile old women.

"Please, let's not turn into a group of people who say 'optimal' instead of 'best'..." - casaubon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:56 

TheAlbinoKid wrote:
I really hate general chit-chat kind of threads. My "regular" forum has one of these, it has run to 717 pages I believe and while there is some legendary stuff within it, it's just too much work to follow what is going on, and I am one of the regulars... I only ever read it when somebody links to it from elsewhere on the board. If you've got something to say, just make a thread ffs, even if it probably isn't worth it. Where's the harm?

Because people already complain the front page moves too fast. If you start a thread for every little thing like "I just made a cake!" or "I bought a PS2!" then it'll move at 20 pages a day and the topics that actually do require debate/replies like the Forza one or the "I need help with" ones will never be seen by their intended targets.

If you lose B+B+ all that'll happen is that a lot of the little community enhanced life posts and one shot jokes will simply jsut not get posted and we'll all lose out, for a tiny questionable rise in things to talk about on the main page.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:57 
Gogmagog

And the polar bear pictures, man.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:05 
SupaMod

Dudley wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

Because people already complain the front page moves too fast. If you start a thread for every little thing like "I just made a cake!" or "I bought a PS2!" then it'll move at 20 pages a day and the topics that actually do require debate/replies like the Forza one or the "I need help with" ones will never be seen by their intended targets.

A fair point, but as I understand it BnB is intended for "things worth saying but not worth a thread", right? Well the "I made a cake" crap isn't worth saying, even in BnB, so if people are going to be bumsnoggers and insist on posting them as entire threads then we just cull them surely?

"Please, let's not turn into a group of people who say 'optimal' instead of 'best'..." - casaubon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:11 
Best
Board Mother

TheAlbinoKid wrote:
A fair point, but as I understand it BnB is intended for "things worth saying but not worth a thread", right? Well the "I made a cake" crap isn't worth saying, even in BnB, so if people are going to be bumsnoggers and insist on posting them as entire threads then we just cull them surely?

In your opinion. An 'I just made a cake post' in B & B led to a topic split of recipies. This is to be encourged not discouraged.

You never know if what you post is going to turn into a long conversation, but that can never be helped and happens even in themed threads. Hell, it's one of the things that people love about these boards!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:20 

TheAlbinoKid wrote:

So the BEEX threads aren't to your liking, the BEEX posts aren't to your liking and the BEEX poker game isn't to your liking?

Ever think this place might not be quite your thing? :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:22 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

So the BEEX threads aren't to your liking, the BEEX posts aren't to your liking and the BEEX poker game isn't to your liking?

Hey Mimi, how's things?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:24 

MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

Hey Mimi, how's things?

Heya hon - things are great - trying to enjoy the few last days of summer, even though they are freezing cold and rainy.

I am starting to write a new book, I am just at the planning stage now, but I hope to get going properly in a week or so.

Are you well?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:25 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Mimi wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

Hey Mimi, how's things?

Heya hon - things are great - trying to enjoy the few last days of summer, even though they are freezing cold and rainy.

I am starting to write a new book, I am just at the planning stage now, but I hope to get going properly in a week or so.

Are you well?

Chippper.

Very chipper.

And dapper.

Yeah, all's good, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:27 

MaliA wrote:

Chippper.

Very chipper.

And dapper.

So I hear - shall I send you some Biggles type goggles?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:28 
Gogmagog

Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Chippper.

Very chipper.

And dapper.

So I hear - shall I send you some Biggles type goggles?

Heh.

That would be amusing.

EDIT: Clicking SUBMIT when I wanted a carriage return is not a good idea.

I now need a 1930's style motorcycle as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:47 
UltraMod

Dudley wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

Because people already complain the front page moves too fast.

Except it's not at all at the moment. Which was the whole point of the suspension.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:51 

I'm not sure how forcing people to make threads to make the place look busier was ever going to do anything about the problem of not enough people posting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:53 
UltraMod

Mimi wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

I'm surprised by you of all people, Mimi. At a time when this place could use an injection of fresh blood you are dropping hints that perhaps people should leave? Now, I don't want to stick up for Beano Boy as he's big and ugly enough to speak for himself, but all he's done is constructively criticised. I can't see any negativity for its own sake - just a fresh pair of eyes on a problem that most forums (except for the largest and most popular ones) experience at times.

I'll give him a slap for wading into the poker thread without reading as to why we've chosen to play how and where we do, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:54 

Are we walking on our hind legs yet?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:05 

myoptika wrote:

I'm surprised by you of all people, Mimi. At a time when this place could use an injection of fresh blood you are dropping hints that perhaps people should leave? Now, I don't want to stick up for Beano Boy as he's big and ugly enough to speak for himself, but all he's done is constructively criticised. I can't see any negativity for its own sake - just a fresh pair of eyes on a problem that most forums (except for the largest and most popular ones) experience at times.

I'll give him a slap for wading into the poker thread without reading as to why we've chosen to play how and where we do, though.

I don't see why so surprised, to be honest. I wasn't suggesting anyone should leave, but genuinely wondering why it seems when someone apparently dislikes a way a place operates that they keep coming back.

There's a pub nearby that serves awful beer, the staff are rude and unfriendly, it's overpriced and full of undesirables. I don't go there, because that's not the kind of place I like to go to - I go somewhere that has the kind of staff I like, nice beer and good crisps, I just wondered why it was so different on the net :S

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:10 
UltraMod

I just worry that a newcomer's opinions aren't taken as well as someone who's been around for a while. Both are valid, in different ways. I don't think he's outright said "this place is shit" (or is even thinking it), it's just easier to critique when you haven't been involved in places from the start.

However, I might be wrong. He might think we're a bunch of cockends. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:13 
SupaMod

Mimi wrote:
TheAlbinoKid wrote:

Your choice of moderators sucks too.

But srsly, I only said that "general gubbins" type threads are shit... most other internet messageboards have them too, so how this can be construed as a slight against BEEX in particular I'm not really sure.

I'm not sure which BEEX threads I criticised.

And I criticised the Pokerroom website as being clunky and rubbish, not the BEEX poker game itself. That's rather like me saying the color scheme of this site is lousy and you taking it as a criticism of the content.

I don't mind being told to leave though, it's how I know that people are listening to me ;)

Matt> we all know newcomers' opinions don't count for anything, no point pretending otherwise or people will just scoff at you for being naive. This is why I'm trying to boost my post count ASAP.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:16 
SupaMod

myoptika wrote:

If you're saying you would have waded through 5 separate threads made up mostly of people saying why they can or can't play poker that particular week in the hunt for an explanation of something you are only vaguely curious about, then either you're lying or living with a girl has changed you...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:20 

Well, I believe in B+B.

Also, to the new topics don't mean 'loads more people and loads more posts' how can it not? It means more variety in a forum and people can discuss different things, other than having a few topics. I know as a newcomer I was dubious abot the forum initially because I talk NON STOP and felt that I may annoy a few people (I know this is true like, bt...fuck it-got a problem say it like) but it's a decent place really and if people jib it then why stay? Simple as, go away.

Sorry to be harsh like but that's how it is-I can't stand people that moan about things and then don't do anything about it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:23 

No-one told you to leave. Do you not like reading either? :smug:

Nah, I was only saying it in an off-hand way. I even used a Dimlie in the original post to push this home, but I think Myoptika was just being sweet and protective of you. Are you Myoptika's girlfriend?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:24 
SupaMod

Shin wrote:
I can't stand people that moan about things and then don't do anything about it

So what do you do about these people to stop them moaning?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:27 
SupaMod

Mimi wrote:
No-one told you to leave. Do you not like reading either? :smug:

The bit about "being told to leave" was a response to what Matt said to you really, it didn't really stem from your original post... I almost put it after the "Matt>" bit when I typed it but then didn't, I probably should have done. I didn't really think you were telling me to leave.

Mimi wrote:
Are you Myoptika's girlfriend?

I wish! Then I'd have cracking great norks and everything!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:31 

I think HE is telling you to leave and using me as a shield for this. He is sneaky this way.

I have just remembered that Myoptikas girlfriend is someone completely different, but I blame the half Guinness I have drunk and will now fall over for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:35 
Peculiar, yet lovely

I could do without it to be honest. I never bother to read it, and haven't posted there since we got used to the new board. Well, except for the other day, but I wouldn't have minded if I hadn't been able to post that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:36 
UltraMod

I think you should both leave as I hate you equally. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:44 
Goth

I thought Stu was right to ban bits+bobs threads. If it's worth looking at, it's worth a thread.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Nirejhenge wrote:
I thought Stu was right to ban bits+bobs threads. If it's worth looking at, it's worth a thread.

I don't, which is why I stress that we had no intention of getting rid of it permanently. The problem is that 'worth looking at' is a sliding scale.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:50 
That Rev Chap

So...

Day Time Posters - We love Bits & Bobs!

Evening Posters - We hate Bits & Bobs!

Gross generalisations ahoy!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:55 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

The Rev Owen wrote:
So...

Day Time Posters - We love Bits & Bobs!

Evening Posters - We hate Bits & Bobs!

Gross generalisations ahoy!

Probably not that inaccurate though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:57 
SupaMod

I just ate a biscuit... yum yum!!! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 21:58 
UltraMod

Now we have two BnB threads. *kills self*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 22:53 

Nirejhenge wrote:

Except it isn't. You'd have a front page full of "Hmm, I actually quite like this new Kylie" song type threads all with 1 or 2 replies, which would be shit.

B+B fulfils that, it doesn't take content away from the front page, it provides extra and frequently the kind of stuff that tells me more about people here. Without B+B you just wouldn't get those posts, I know I wouldn't post them because an entire thread is madness. hell, people occasionally drop "updated blog" type notes in there, some generate discussion, most don't really but I assume you're not proposing I post a thread every time I write some bollocks about the Daily Mail?

If you're not regular and don't "care" about the actual people here (and that's certainly true for me at places like Atlas F1) then it's not for you, just read the threads. But when you've passed through "Anonymous internet ppl" to just "ppl" it becomes very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:02 
UltraMod

I thought the updated blog posts went in the 'Pimp Your Blog' thread? Same with Grim... wanting to post about Spore in BnB - there's already a dedicated Spore thread.

Madness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:07 
SupaMod

Dudley wrote:
Without B+B you just wouldn't get those posts

How strange... that is my point exactly, and yet we are voting at opposite extremes of the spectrum ?:|

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:19 

This is getting a bit ridiculous now, we've been debating about it for ages. Why not try one method (i.e 3) and if that doesn't work out then change it, no biggie? No need to get het up about a frigging thread is there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 23:25 
SupaMod

Shin wrote:
This is getting a bit ridiculous now, we've been debating about it for ages. Why not try one method (i.e 3) and if that doesn't work out then change it, no biggie? No need to get het up about a frigging thread is there?

That is what I got the impression the mods WERE doing, but then somebody said "Oi Hitlers, can't we toast marshmallows round the campfire and chat about it?" and what was meant to be no more than a trial turned into a drama-filled debate over the whole future of off topic conversation on the board.

Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next