Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Ultimate Star Wars EP IV SE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:09 

Yeah, so I'm a Star Wars geek.

I used to post on OriginalTrilogy.com when it looked like the original, non-ruined version of Eps 4/5/6 were never gonna make it to DVD. They eventually did get an official release so I didn't bother checking the forum after that. This weekend I was sorting through my bookmarks, looked at the forum again and saw a thread for this fan-edit project:

http://fanedit.org/517/

Sounded interesting, so I downloaded the Xvid for a peek. Usually, the fan edits on OT.com and FE.org are pretty poor and do nothing for me, but dear GOD, this one is incredible! Essentially, THIS is what should have been released as the Special Edition of EP IV. This guy is mind bogglingly talented - SE-ing EP IV a whole shit ton better than ILM managed themselves!

Here are shot comparisons to show what unbelievable lengths he went to to make the SE as good as possible:

http://picasaweb.google.com/doubleofive/StarWarsRevisitedVisualComparisonPart1
http://picasaweb.google.com/doubleofive/StarWarsRevisitedVisualComparisonPart2

He also got rid of the hateful crap included for no good reason, like the Jabba scene, Greedo Shooting first, cartoon robots pissing around in Mos Eisley etc

I love the original 77 version for all its nostalgic/cheap/tackiness, but this 2008 revisited version is just fantastic - I might even go as far as to say this improves on it (where as the 97/04 Lucas SE's fucking ruined it!). There are quite a few apparent artistic alterations, ie scene in Bens' Hut and the Ben vs. Vader showdown, but both I think improve on the original. These alterations really do make this a "Special Edition" compared to the original, they remind me of how well the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner turned out.

Adywan is currently working on ESB and has plans for ROTJ after that too!

Seriously, just fucking watch this if you are a Star Wars geek, grew up with and love the Theatrical Cuts and despise the butchered Lucas SE DVDs. This version by Adywan is just incredible and will be be sitting proudly next to my DVDs of the Theatrical Cut for a long time to come.

Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Star Wars EP IV SE
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:22 
That Rev Chap

See, I just like Star Wars. I'll watch whichever version you give me, happily. I think the Jabba scene's a bit rubbish, but it doesn't ruin my enjoyment. I'm enough of a geek to actually own a "Han Shot First" t-shirt, but I'll just tut when he doesn't and continue on my way. The SE Death Star explosion is better than the original. I like having some more detail in the backgrounds of stuff.

I love all the movies - even the much maligned Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars - but I don't get especially worked up about all the little details and stuff.

Ideally I guess I'd construct my own "special edition" based on my own preferences - Greedo shoots first, the scene with Jabba is still there but done entirely differently, Leia gets her kit off a few times, etc. - but I'm not that worried about the different versions. It's still Star Wars, whatever little changes are made here and there.

I mean, I count myself as a Star Wars fan (though my magazine subscription has lapsed), but I never even bothered to buy the DVDs with the original versions of the movies on. My Special Edition DVDs are perfectly serviceable for me - not to mention anamorphic.

I might download that fan version if it's up on Usenet, though I'm sure I wouldn't notice most of the differences.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:05 

Just step through the web album explaining them.

In fact everyone do, I'm no star wars geek by a long stretch (Or even that fond of any film except New Hope) but that's some incredible work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:15 
making out to faces of death

That's amazing, looking at the photos. And a hell of a lot of work to go to, to get your face sued off you by George Lucas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:24 

I think the worst that's ever happened with any Fan Edit is they get a cease and desist letter for its distribution. The laws on actually doing the fan edit are very grey and this guy is pretty safe with this.

... and yeah, even if you're not much of a Star Wars purist, it's impossible not to be amazed by this guys work. I'm not exaggerating when I say he did a far better job at SE-ing Star Wars than ILM (twice) did - both technically and creatively. This guy has to land an incredible compositing/FX job after getting noticed for this, or there is no justice in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:44 

Just had a look at the albums. Bloody hell!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:58 

pupil wrote:
This guy has to land an incredible compositing/FX job after getting noticed for this, or there is no justice in the world.

It would be nice if Lucas got him in to do the Blu Ray versions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 18:06 

Nik wrote:
Just had a look at the albums. Bloody hell!

Seriously! I total recommend downloading the Xvid version to check it out properly. It's one thing to make good static shots, but in motion they're equally flawless too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:28 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

That is phenomenal!!

The time and effort to make that is incredible. Was the guy working on his own?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:24 

Bobbyaro wrote:
That is phenomenal!!

The time and effort to make that is incredible. Was the guy working on his own?

Pretty much. The new 3D Tie Fighter reveal in the final battle was done by someone else, but practically everything was done by this Adywan guy. Nuts, isn't it!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 
Excellent Member

That's pretty impressive. Shame ever since the movie-marathon of all six movies in a row a year and a bit ago that the Star Wars franchise is dead to me now. I really can't take any more Star Wars. Still hold affection for the original trilogy mind, nothing but weary contempt for the prequels. :(

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:05 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

It's a pretty amazing achievement, although I do think he got a little carried away and there are a few scenes in the gallery where I was thinking 'Why did you do that? The original looked better'.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 16:18 

Some of it was not 100% neccesary, but it is still bloody impressive.

How did he manage to do the 'new angle' stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 16:40 

Bobbyaro wrote:

Oh yeah, he totally went for the geek onslaught approach, but all credit to him as its the kind of effort I wish ILM had made in the first place.

Bobbyaro wrote:
How did he manage to do the 'new angle' stuff?

Which shots do you mean?

I especially love all the little facial expressions that the characters in Mos Eisley Cantina have got, especially Greedo. He seems so much more sly and menacing now, which I feel befits his status of bounty hunter far better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 16:49 

pupil wrote:

Which shots do you mean?

There is some where he has changed the viewing angle,
eg:
http://picasaweb.google.com/doubleofive/StarWarsRevisitedVisualComparisonPart1/photo#5184276522412622674.
Actually, thinking about it, I presume he just used another image from later on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 16:54 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

pupil wrote:
Bobbyaro wrote:

Oh yeah, he totally went for the geek onslaught approach, but all credit to him as its the kind of effort I wish ILM had made in the first place.

Most of it is fine and makes sense, but lots is just for the sake of it. Tatooine's 3rd moon. Why would it need to be in shot? Just because it has three is no reason to necessarily show three in any given shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 22:59 

Craster wrote:
Most of it is fine and makes sense, but lots is just for the sake of it. Tatooine's 3rd moon. Why would it need to be in shot? Just because it has three is no reason to necessarily show three in any given shot.

There will be uber SW geeks jacking off to that scene now. Keeps them happy :)

This guy cares more about this film than everyone at ILM and Lucas all put together, which is beautiful to see manifested in this way. Gotta love his passion!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 17:10 
That Rev Chap

Watched this today. Certainly the best version. Han shoots first, no Jabba, Chewie gets a fucking medal. I think I'll leave it on my PS3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 19:59 
I forgot about this - how vain

Quote:
Chewie gets a fucking medal

Bout fucking time. That really bothered me as a kid. Chewie and the slave bots being ignored.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]