Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:18 
Gogmagog

You can hear Going for Gold there, as it's clearlt Shed Seven.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:26 
Awesome
Yes

TheVision wrote:
I'm doing some filming today... I think you lot would like it here.

Is that the Black Country Living Museum?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:29 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Mr Russell wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Is that the Black Country Living Museum?

Nope. It's a place called Westfield in Kingswinford.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:31 
Awesome
Yes

Well those are excellent place names!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 13:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Russell wrote:

Pfft.

Attachment:
IMG_20170821_150737.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 17:53 
Decapodian

TheVision wrote:

Very nice. I think Caterhams are the better car, but I certainly wouldn't say no to a Westfield.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 0:51 
Can you dig it?

Grim... wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Pfft.

That sign is really dirty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:19 
INFINITE POWAH

"Part of the shortis group" is the finishing touch there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:10 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

MrChris wrote:
"Part of the shortis group" is the finishing touch there.

I never noticed that!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 17:40 
Hello Hello Hello

Keyless bollocks.

It was pissing down when I left work for the walk back to my car, so I put on my sturdy raincoat and put the keys in one of its front pockets, as you would.

Walked down to the car. Got wet. When I got there the KEYLESS MAGIC was quite good* as it let me open the door without fishing out the keys, opened the back passenger side door, hung the coat over the back of the passenger seat (so it would drain onto the floor, and not the back seat). Opened the front passenger door, put my other stuff on the seat, closed door. Went round to the driver's side of the car, got in.

Drove home, and by now it's REALLY pissing down. Grabbed my stuff off the passenger seat, got out, closed the driver's door and pressed the button to lock the door. It didn't lock. Went to get the keys out of my pocket thinking there may be a BUTTON MALFUNCTION and was like 'Oh bollocks they're still in my coat, hanging over the back of the passenger seat'.

So then I had to walk around to the other side of the car. RAIN RAIN RAIN. Open door, grab coat, close door, and then I could lock the door with the button on the passenger side door handle.

None of this would have happened if I'd just had to put the keys into an ignition at the start of the journey, and withdraw them again at the journey's end - as would have happened in the good old days.

380/1000 for Keyless Wankery. It's an answer to a question no one ever asked.

* But not much of an improvement really, because when I used to walk back to my car in the rain, I'd get the key out of my coat pocket and blip the car as I got in range, so it's not like the keyless bobbins really saved me any time in particular.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 17:51 
Unpossible!

Apart from the keyless wankery, how's the car?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 17:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Does it have the magic boot? That's a fucking godsend when you're carrying shit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 18:03 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Wouldn't you still have had to get your coat, regardless of keyless? In fact, the keyless meant you didn't forget your coat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 18:25 
Decapodian

My dad had to go to a DVLA testing centre to see whether he's fit to drive, following a few health issues recently.
He has apparently passed their test ok so will keep his licence, though I still have my own concerns about a 78 year old with hip problems and a diagnosis of the early stages of Parkinsons being on the road.

Now I have to help him find an automatic Yeti to replace his manual Nissan Juke.
Anyone want to buy a low mileage Juke?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 18:25 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

The mistake you’re making here is trying rationalise his words into cohesive thought processes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:19 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
My dad had to go to a DVLA testing centre to see whether he's fit to drive, following a few health issues recently.
He has apparently passed their test ok so will keep his licence, though I still have my own concerns about a 78 year old with hip problems and a diagnosis of the early stages of Parkinsons being on the road.

Now I have to help him find an automatic Yeti to replace his manual Nissan Juke.
Anyone want to buy a low mileage Juke?

I see loads of those around, they seem very popular. A yeti is a great name for a car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:20 

I got a learners licence last week :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:29 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:
I see loads of those around, they seem very popular. A yeti is a great name for a car.

It's a brilliant name, but they've decided to call the replacement the Karoq which is just some bland designed by committee marketing bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:31 
Decapodian

Mimi wrote:

Congrats. When's your first lesson?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:40 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Congrats. When's your first lesson?

I don’t know yet. I need to work out what I’m looking for and how it all works. There was a driving lesson car (? Probably not what they’re called) that passed me today with the little standee saying ‘Mike’s Driving School’ or similar (can’t remember the chap’s actual name) and across the back window in huge white vinyl letters was JESUS SAVES. Anyway... I don’t want that chap, as I don’t think I want to trust in the lord to save me when I crash... would rather not crash, but also because I’m pretty sure that must obscure the view from the back window? Also, because I’d be worried that anyone who wanted to make a religious message such a large statement in his driving lesson vehicle had other motives than helping people learn to drive. I know I’m overthinking it, but it really bothered me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 20:41 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mimi wrote:

It's a brilliant name, but they've decided to call the replacement the Karoq which is just some bland designed by committee marketing bullshit.

Sounds like a vegan chocolate alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 

Grim... wrote:
Does it have the magic boot? That's a fucking godsend when you're carrying shit.

The GT I've got has that. It is indeed a fucking godsend, although disturbingly I keep kicking the underside of the car whenever I do it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:15 
Prince of Fops

GazChap wrote:
Grim... wrote:

The GT I've got has that. It is indeed a fucking godsend, although disturbingly I keep kicking the underside of the car whenever I do it.

And every time, you feel like the fucking Fonz.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 15:45 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Hearthly wrote:
Keyless bollocks.

It was pissing down when I left work for the walk back to my car, so I put on my sturdy raincoat and put the keys in one of its front pockets, as you would.

Walked down to the car. Got wet. When I got there the KEYLESS MAGIC was quite good* as it let me open the door without fishing out the keys, opened the back passenger side door, hung the coat over the back of the passenger seat (so it would drain onto the floor, and not the back seat). Opened the front passenger door, put my other stuff on the seat, closed door. Went round to the driver's side of the car, got in.

Drove home, and by now it's REALLY pissing down. Grabbed my stuff off the passenger seat, got out, closed the driver's door and pressed the button to lock the door. It didn't lock. Went to get the keys out of my pocket thinking there may be a BUTTON MALFUNCTION and was like 'Oh bollocks they're still in my coat, hanging over the back of the passenger seat'.

So then I had to walk around to the other side of the car. RAIN RAIN RAIN. Open door, grab coat, close door, and then I could lock the door with the button on the passenger side door handle.

None of this would have happened if I'd just had to put the keys into an ignition at the start of the journey, and withdraw them again at the journey's end - as would have happened in the good old days.

* But not much of an improvement really, because when I used to walk back to my car in the rain, I'd get the key out of my coat pocket and blip the car as I got in range, so it's not like the keyless bobbins really saved me any time in particular.

I do love your ranty posts...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 15:48 
Gogmagog

EXCITING ROVER UPDATE!

The radiator has a small leak and needs fluids replacing every 2 weeks.

Did i mention the oil stains on tbe engine block coming from the head gasket? Been there since i bought it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 16:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Drop an egg white into it and run it until it's hot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 16:12 
Hibernating Druid

Hearthly wrote:
Keyless bollocks.

What other cars do they have at the garage?

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 16:20 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Zardoz wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
Keyless bollocks.

What other cars do they have at the garage?

Good idea. You've had this one for ages!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:54 
Hello Hello Hello

DavPaz wrote:
Apart from the keyless wankery, how's the car?

I'd say it's just about on the right side of being usable as a daily driver. (Which let's be honest, is what most of us use our cars as, most of the time.)

In the plus column for this category are most things. It's easy to drive and park, it's good on fuel (long term average is looking to be 34.5mpg, currently this is where it's at after 1650 miles), it's got all the mod cons, it's practical (four doors and a good sized boot, I got the box from Scan with my new PC in it into the boot with the rear seats folded down, and that was a BIG box), the audio system is high quality and I love bluetooth streaming from my phone. (The GT trim of the car gets upgraded speakers among other things and they're really pretty damn good, certainly the match of the B&O speakers in the S4.)

In the minus column are two biggies. One is the utterly uncompromising ride quality, which Honda acknowledged with the new Type-R when they added a 'Comfort' mode to its settings, so where the new one gets Comfort/Sport/Race, mine just has Sport/Race. (And to be clear here, 'Race' is a track setting, that's absolutely what it's intended to be used for and indeed is so astoundingly harsh that's all you can use it for without dislocating several bones. Sport is dialled down from Race, but not by a massive amount..... Moreover, by all accounts the new Type-R's 'Comfort' setting is somewhere between Normal/Sport in cars such as the Golf R and S3.)

Second, linked to the first, is the seat, which is a track bucket seat, and whilst it's comfortable insofar as it holds the body well and is supportive, I find that after an hour's normal driving I'm not sorry to get out of it. (And yet, it fulfills its intended purpose perfectly, which is to say that on a hard drive when you're really pushing it through corners, your whole body is held securely and centrally so you're always in the perfect position for the controls, something I didn't get with the S4 which traded that off for comfort.)

Also, the seating position is too high. Again, Honda have fixed this on the new one, but in mine to get the seating position right my head is higher than I'd like, and I'm not tall, about 5ft11.

Subjectively I still think it looks fantastic, I loved the looks of the car when I first clamped eyes on it and still do, it's a taste thing of course, but for me it's absolutely the business.

My opinion of the car changes regularly, if I get a few days of normal driving and don't get the chance to open it up a a bit or am simply not in the mood to, I do find myself thinking that it's an unnecessarily hardcore vehicle for the driving I'm doing. (Especially if I'm doing more town/family driving than usual, anything other than my daily commute really, which is principally on roads maintained as part of the TT circuit. Off the TT course the quality of our roads is 'variable', and this is not a comfortable car on bumpy roads. Once a week we go out to a farm with Hearthly Jnr for her horse riding/therapy session, you can imagine how much fun it is driving a track-ready Type-R down an unmaintained back road and onto a working farm, parking up next to tractors and hay bales.....)

Then again, given a decent crack at an open road, it's a thrilling, exhilarating car to drive, and I forgive it everything. As chance would have it I've had quite a lot of evening/anti-social hours/weekend working since I got the car, so I've found myself driving over the mountain at all sorts of funny times, quite often pretty much getting the road to myself, so have been able to safely explore what the car is capable of (well, the only risk being to myself), and it's an immensely well-sorted car, far more confidence-inspiring than the S4 was.

The brakes never, ever fade, for starters. The handling is superb, with this and the new Type-R the question is being asked whether or not AWD such as is fitted to the Focus RS is just extra weight for no benefit, with the new Type-R besting the Golf R, Focus RS and BMW 140i in multiple hot-hatch shootouts, in terms of raw performance round a track and also in how good a car it is to drive - and the new Type-R has an awful lot of carry overs from my generation of Type-R.

The trickery with the diff in the front axle is quite something, and the car's ability to pull out of a corner, once you get used to it, is immensely satisfying, even if there's a tendency to wonder 'How does it do this?'

So yes, when I get the road to myself I'll put the car in 'R' (Race) mode, the dials all turn blood red, and really go for it, and it's incredible.

All that said, it'll be gone by this time next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:21 
UltraMod

So you should've leased the new one instead. Good to know I was correct.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:36 
Excellent Member

Why doesn't everyone who wants a new car just lease them? It seems more cost effective on the face of it?

Mine is leased but it's also provided by the company so I've never really given it much thought. I don't know what's included in the deal as I'd never be paying for the tax, servicing or tyres etc. I think they provide/replace everything as long as it's reasonable. Like, not multiple sets of brakes and tyres in a year. The only thing I keep in mind is that it gets replaced every 3 years so I'd hope to get something at least this good again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:40 
Hibernating Druid

Because it costs upwards of £200 a month and my car is already paid for.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 
Unpossible!

My car cost £300.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Zardoz wrote:

Yes but if you change ever 12 months and do low mileage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 
Gogmagog

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... sky-credit

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... mer-credit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:07 
Hibernating Druid

KovacsC wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Yes but if you change ever 12 months and do low mileage.

I can get a free car if I swap every year as long as I don't drive it much?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 
Hibernating Druid

So many "2 bob millionaires" on the roads these days in swanky new motors that they'll never own.

I'd rather put my cash into my house and remote control planes. That's where the smart money is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:14 
Gogmagog

Zardoz wrote:
So many "2 bob millionaires" on the roads these days in swanky new motors that they'll never own.

I'd rather put my cash into my house and remote control planes. That's where the smart money is.

Bradford is awash with Audis, Mercs and the like. Was filling up a car the other day and saw a guy stick a tenner of diesel into a 67 plate Q7. At the end of the period though, the car value will he hugely deflated due to glut of similar cars.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:17 

Yup. I'm all for idiots who can't afford it getting new cars until the bubble bursts and the price of the used ones crashes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 
Hibernating Druid

:this:

Although I'm determined to squeeze 200k from my Leon so I can say in your face to Myps from an earlier post in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:36 
Hello Hello Hello

Isn't leasing just that thing where you have to give the car back at the end or pay them thousands of pounds (more) if you want to keep it? Or is that the PCP loan bubble affair that's supposed to be about to burst?

And it always seems to be boring cars anyway, I can't imagine anywhere leasing a Type-R, for example. I did see something in the local paper a few weeks ago and it was like fucking Nissan Qashqais and Vauxhall Corsas and bobbins like that.

The chap in the Honda garage did suggest I could 'afford' a brand new Type-R, but it would have required using the S4 as the big upfront payment, then there was a big interest bearing loan, and then at the end of four years or something I'd still have to have given them a big pile more cash just to keep the fucking thing.

Or take the S4, I would imagine the cost of leasing a new one would be extremely high, whereas I got to own and drive one for a reasonable price, albeit one that was seven years old.

My system seems to work fairly well, because I tend not to keep cars for very long, they don't lose much value, or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 

Leasing and PCP are broadly similar. The main difference is that with a lease you have no choice but to give the car back at the end of the term. With PCP you can choose to pay the "optional final payment" and then take ownership of the car.

If you can get a stonking deal on a lease/PCP then they can be very cost effective. A few years back VW were doing mental deals on Golf R models that basically meant you weren't even covering the depreciation, so when you handed it back at the end (and you'd be a fool not to) you'd be up on the deal. Same happened with my LEAF - the optional final payment was £14K but it was only worth £9K by the time the 2 years was over so they'd grossly underestimated the value drop (or just wanted to get them out of the factory to improve EV uptake, who knows)

BMW were doing deals on the M135i when that first came out that meant you could have one for £270 a month, which is a fantastic price for a brand new car with that level of performance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:12 
Hello Hello Hello

I guess it's something to look into when the time comes to move on from the Type-R, I'm not opposed to a different model of car usage based on irrational dogma, because I never do that sort of thing. Lol.

I do quite like my car being my own though, although that's not based on anything more concrete than a feeling.

(Plus, I guess the deals where the car deprecates by more than the payments have been appropriately 'adjusted', anyway.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:17 
Decapodian

Yep, both lease and pcp deals work brilliantly if you aren’t fussy about what you want and hunt out the cheap offers where manufacturers are subsidising things.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 
Excellent Member

The thought of getting a brand new Audi, for example, for the same price per month as you'd be paying back on 5yr loan for a 2 year old focus is probably appealing to some, though. When you get rid of the focus after paying off the loan you'll likely need another loan to buy a replacement.

There's also a level of comfort in the car still being within its warranty period or, hopefully, new enough that nothing goes wrong with it.

It's a whole set of decisions I'm glad I don't need to make. I'd hate to spend loads on a car but I also hate shit, old cars. So I'd either cry every time I got a bank statement or every time I drove it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 
Hibernating Druid

It's a choice of either paying £1000's a year for a new (or nearly new ) car that you might not own at the end of it or paying a couple of grand on the best second hand car you can find and pay for its maintenance/go faster stripes* as and when you need it. I've always gone down the later route myself because of money.

*can't tinker with a lease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:11 
Hello Hello Hello

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Yep, both lease and pcp deals work brilliantly if you aren’t fussy about what you want and hunt out the cheap offers where manufacturers are subsidising things.

Not a good match for me then, as has probably become quite apparent over the years, I'm very much a 'heart over head' person when it comes to cars....

Generally speaking I see something that gives me wood and I think 'I MUST HAVE IT' and then a week later I'm driving it, thousands of pounds poorer, and wondering what's just happened. Again.

The worst thing I think a car can possibly be is boring, and leasing/PCP sounds like it might end up in that sort of area.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:26 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
The worst thing I think a car can possibly be is boring, and leasing/PCP sounds like it might end up in that sort of area.

https://www.leaseyournextcar.com/honda- ... -5dr-80930

£588.26pcm if you want a 3-year lease, all maintenance included and an initial payment of 3mo. But it's a brand new Type R so :shrug:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:28 

Hearthly wrote:
Not a good match for me then, as has probably become quite apparent over the years, I'm very much a 'heart over head' person when it comes to cars....
Generally speaking I see something that gives me wood and I think 'I MUST HAVE IT' and then a week later I'm driving it, thousands of pounds poorer, and wondering what's just happened. Again.

That's exactly why I PCP'd the Leaf (and now the BMW) - to get me out of the habit of changing cars every 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:34 
Hibernating Druid

I think you're all on PCP.

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 479, 480, 481, 482, 483, 484, 485 ... 613  Next