Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Reply to topic  [ 24225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778 ... 808  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 16:32 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
So. Many. Titles.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 20:05 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
Should have treated the old girl to a new sump plug.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:18 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
Replaced my front wiper blades with Bosch AeroTwins today. Noticed that the paint on the wiper arms is very flakey and it's a bit of an eyesore. Is it easy to remove them, sand them down and paint again? What kind of paint do I want?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:22 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
Lonewolves wrote:
Replaced my front wiper blades with Bosch AeroTwins today. Noticed that the paint on the wiper arms is very flakey and it's a bit of an eyesore. Is it easy to remove them, sand them down and paint again? What kind of paint do I want?

I'd suggest sanding them, using Halfords grey primer, then using regular matt or gloss black Halford spray paint. If you want to be super sure, you could then put a couple of coats of laquer on there. But by that point you've spent £30 to respray them... (at roughly a tenner a can)

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:29 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Without seeing a picture it's a bit hard to say but if they looked an arse to remove I'd just leave them in place, mask off the surrounding area thoroughly, give them a sanding and then just hit them with a few coats of satin black Hammerite spray.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:29 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Replaced my front wiper blades with Bosch AeroTwins today. Noticed that the paint on the wiper arms is very flakey and it's a bit of an eyesore. Is it easy to remove them, sand them down and paint again? What kind of paint do I want?

I'd suggest sanding them, using Halfords grey primer, then using regular matt or gloss black Halford spray paint. If you want to be super sure, you could then put a couple of coats of laquer on there. But by that point you've spent £30 to respray them... (at roughly a tenner a can)

Nice ta!

Do I need a special tool* to get the arms off?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:29 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42306
Location: West Yorkshire
I have bosch wiper blades on The Rover, wioer blade buddy!

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:29 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 62211
Location: Your Mum
Paint is way cheaper from elsewhere:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYCOTE-XUK0301 ... B003MLIFN8
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simply-SP-021- ... B00OCKZJ64

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:32 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
(*Apart from me)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:32 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
Grim... wrote:

Well sure, if you want to buy rubbish cheap forrin muck rather than supporting Britain and MAKING BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:34 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Replaced my front wiper blades with Bosch AeroTwins today. Noticed that the paint on the wiper arms is very flakey and it's a bit of an eyesore. Is it easy to remove them, sand them down and paint again? What kind of paint do I want?

I'd suggest sanding them, using Halfords grey primer, then using regular matt or gloss black Halford spray paint. If you want to be super sure, you could then put a couple of coats of laquer on there. But by that point you've spent £30 to respray them... (at roughly a tenner a can)

Nice ta!

Do I need a special tool to get the arms off?

Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

Oh, except Dad's TR4a, where they had a grub screw.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:35 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42306
Location: West Yorkshire
Grub Screw is the name of my Taylor Swift covers band.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:38 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:45 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:51 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

So, do I need a special tool? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 14:56 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
markg wrote:
Without seeing a picture it's a bit hard to say but if they looked an arse to remove I'd just leave them in place, mask off the surrounding area thoroughly, give them a sanding and then just hit them with a few coats of satin black Hammerite spray.

:this:

As an alternative to Hammerite, I used this on my wheels, brilliant stuff. Had tyres changed and done about 15k on them and no chips.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Tough- ... B004R95MXU

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:00 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

So, do I need a special tool? :D

You are a special tool.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:02 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
markg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

So, do I need a special tool? :D

You are a special tool.

viewtopic.php?p=950138#p950138


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:03 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
MaliA wrote:
I have bosch wiper blades on The Rover, wioer blade buddy!

My old ones were Bosch too. They weren't Bosch AeroTwin though!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:14 
User avatar

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 14028
Lonewolves wrote:
markg wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

So, do I need a special tool? :D

You are a special tool.

viewtopic.php?p=950138#p950138

:thumbsup:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:53 
User avatar
INFINITE POWAH

Joined: 1st Apr, 2008
Posts: 29496
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Not unless you have a weird car - every vehicle I've had or come into contact with has had clip on, clip off wipers.

The blades just clip off, yeah. I was talking about the arms. They just unclip too then?

God I'm an idiot.

Yeah no, they don't. There should be a grub screw of some sort holding them in place.

So, do I need a special tool? :D


:)

No, should just need a small spanner

BOOM BOOM

Or a screwdriver.

_________________
http://www.thehomeofawesome.com/
Eagles soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 15:56 
SupaMod
User avatar
Est. 1978

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 62211
Location: Your Mum
The Puma ones are bolted on. If yours are too you'll need a spanner (but really a socket) and a small flat-head screwdriver to take the cover off.

_________________
Grim... wrote:
I wish Craster had left some girls for the rest of us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 16:22 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
Thanks car dudes!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 16:48 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
Or just leave them Rat look like the rest of your car.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 18:27 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
Zardoz wrote:
Or just leave them Rat look like the rest of your car.

The wheels are a disgrace and the body work needs some TLC, but I want to get it done properly and it's going to cost a bomb, so I'm doing cheap things first.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 18:48 
User avatar
chewbacca -future arc welder

Joined: 25th Oct, 2011
Posts: 1580
Location: Kashyyyk
Unclip black plastic cover, it hinges up. Undo 13mm nut, or maybe 12mm... I think on civics you have to do this next but with the bonnet up to avoid scratching it but I may be wrong. Lift the wiper arm until perpendicular to glass, like you would when washing, then grab with both hands and wafl violently up and down (toward and away from glass) until it comes free. This is because its in a taper spline which is designed to stick on. Try to mark them before hand so you get them back on the right spline.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 20:05 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
Nice, thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:05 
User avatar
Lord Humongous

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42725
Location: The erogenous zone
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Or just leave them Rat look like the rest of your car.

The wheels are a disgrace and the body work needs some TLC, but I want to get it done properly and it's going to cost a bomb, so I'm doing cheap things first.

I've no idea how your car looks :D

I've found Wheels are fairly easy to improve the appearance of. Done all mine black and currently doing the silver alloys on Mrs Zs. Only done one so far, but I'll take lots of pics and write up how I do the next one. Helps to have a full size spare while you do them.

_________________
Flickr Behance Discogs

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 21:28 
User avatar
Lupine member

Joined: 27th Mar, 2008
Posts: 48475
Location: Nottingham
Zardoz wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
Or just leave them Rat look like the rest of your car.

The wheels are a disgrace and the body work needs some TLC, but I want to get it done properly and it's going to cost a bomb, so I'm doing cheap things first.

I've no idea how your car looks :D

I know, but I thought I'd use it as a segue into talking about stuff that needs doing. ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 
User avatar
Gogmagog

Joined: 30th Mar, 2008
Posts: 42306
Location: West Yorkshire
EXCITING ROVER UPDATE!

The "feed me" sensor doesn't appear to work, as there appeared to be a complete lack of 710, so I stuck 4 litres of B&M's semi synthetic​ in £10 for 4 litres). And took the air filter out and gave it a shake. And refilled the coolant which is looking pretty brown, and the tiniest spot of mayo on the filler cap.

Might get it washed today, see if the wheely bin scratches will disappear.

_________________
Mr Chris wrote:
MaliA isn't just the best thing on the internet - he's the best thing ever.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 24225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 772, 773, 774, 775, 776, 777, 778 ... 808  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Findus Fop, Pod People, Vogons and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search within this thread:
You are using the 'Ted' forum. Bill doesn't really exist any more. Bogus!
Want to help out with the hosting / advertising costs? That's very nice of you.
Are you on a mobile phone? Try http://beex.co.uk/m/
RIP, Owen.

Powered by a very Grim... version of phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.