Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 17:39 
UltraMod

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It has an eight speed box. Thankfully an auto, because I don’t think my tiny brain could figure out cornering gears with eight to pick from.

The manual would probably be a 6-speed. Autos have loads of gears these days to help with fuel economy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 17:41 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also it’s an NA V8. It’s got power band for days. You could cruise around town and never use anything other than third. Why does it need eight gears?!

I suspect that's so you don't get comedy fuel usage. Even with 8 gears it's probably amusingly bad, and most of that amusement likely comes from the fact you're not paying $8 a gallon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 17:43 
Hibernating Druid

@FindusFop

There's more gains to be had remapping turbo diesels than with petrol engines but looking at the stats there you'd certainly feel the difference.

You need to declare this sort of work to your insurance company too so premiums will rise.

I never got mine remapped due to the garage telling me a few jobs needed doing to mine before it was safe to do. Currently getting the jobs done (and paying for house stuff) so it keeps getting pushed back.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 17:47 

DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also it’s an NA V8. It’s got power band for days. You could cruise around town and never use anything other than third. Why does it need eight gears?!

I suspect that's so you don't get comedy fuel usage. Even with 8 gears it's probably amusingly bad, and most of that amusement likely comes from the fact you're not paying $8 a gallon

You're probably right. We're doing a 400 mile road trip on the weekend. I'll zero the counters first.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:08 
Prince of Fops

Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

There's more gains to be had remapping turbo diesels than with petrol engines but looking at the stats there you'd certainly feel the difference.

You need to declare this sort of work to your insurance company too so premiums will rise.

I never got mine remapped due to the garage telling me a few jobs needed doing to mine before it was safe to do. Currently getting the jobs done (and paying for house stuff) so it keeps getting pushed back.

Cheerz Z. Will consider it in a few months or so when the christmas aftershocks have subsided. May also have to make a casual call to my insurer to ask them the hypothetical what if.

MPG doesn't fall off a cliff, does it? I know many claim to enhance MPG, though I remain unconvinced. The Yeti already averages a pretty cruddy 33 mpg.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:10 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Findus Fop wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

Cheerz Z. Will consider it in a few months or so when the christmas aftershocks have subsided. May also have to make a casual call to my insurer to ask them the hypothetical what if.

MPG doesn't fall off a cliff, does it? I know many claim to enhance MPG, though I remain unconvinced. The Yeti already averages a pretty cruddy 33 mpg.

Remaps are fully amazing, don't hurt your car and make it better in every way. For additional savings don't tell your insurance company, they'll never find out any way.

Not even sarcasm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:18 
Hibernating Druid

Controversial!

I'd remain quiet too

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:19 
Hibernating Druid

MPG should improve too, Findus. Should be stats for that too on the place you looked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:30 
Prince of Fops

krazywookie wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

Remaps are fully amazing, don't hurt your car and make it better in every way. For additional savings don't tell your insurance company, they'll never find out any way.

Not even sarcasm

So you're in the "No" camp? We should have a remapperendum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 18:57 
Decapodian

Those remap figures are entirely plausible. Wander over to briskoda.net for more first hand experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 19:14 

krazywookie wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

Not even sarcasm

What about one of those very worst case scenarios where someone is killed or something? I don't know what sort of checks the police routinely do on vehicles in those circumstances.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 23:19 

Findus Fop wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

Not even sarcasm

So you're in the "No" camp? We should have a remapperendum.

No really, I really mean it, fully in favour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 23:21 

markg wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
@FindusFop

Not even sarcasm

What about one of those very worst case scenarios where someone is killed or something? I don't know what sort of checks the police routinely do on vehicles in those circumstances.

Honestly not sure, they'd need to compare the afr map to a standard one I'd imagine. Not convinced they'd think to check or claim it was of consequence even if they did find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 23:40 

That's what would make me a bit uneasy. There's also the insurers, would they still have to pay out the third party damages if you killed or maimed someone in a car that had been modified without telling them or would they pay out but then come after you for it? Obviously that's very unlikely but those unlikely scenarios are the whole reason insurance is mandatory in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 23:47 

If the insurers ask "is your car modified in any way?" and then say "your insurance is invalid if you lied" then to my mind it's very clear cut what happens if you get caught. You can debate the likelihood of that, but nothing about any contact with an insurance company makes me think they're running a charity that would pay out on stuff they're not obliged to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 0:01 
Hibernating Druid

Good point.

You may as well spend your insurance premium on modding the fuck out of your car then if it's going to be invalid anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 0:06 

They'll find a way to weasel out of it any way.
I drove a 1.6 Capri for a couple years, it was a heavily modified 2.9 V6 and got stopped by the cops a lot, they never checked so therefore everyone's safe and my experience guarantees that somehow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 0:10 

krazywookie wrote:
They'll find a way to weasel out of it any way.
I drive

In my life I've been involved in (I think) four collisions that required the insurance to be notified, and they paid out correctly 100% of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 0:11 

Only cos you followed the stupid rules. Like an idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:18 

One of my pet peeves is people that modify cars and then don't notify their insurance/DVLA as appropriate. Every time I see a car on eBay that has had an engine upgrade and says in the listing "still registered as a 1.2 so cheap insurance!" I report it and get it removed.

It's irresponsible, obviously illegal, and I wish the police and insurance companies cracked down on people doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:21 
Gogmagog

It's really easy, though, to buy a Rover 25 with 84 powers and misdiagnose rough idling and replace the throttle body which makes the engine make 104 powers by accident, though. And of it was idling rough, you'd think it was all better and fine. By accident

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:23 
Gogmagog

GazChap wrote:
One of my pet peeves is people that modify cars and then don't notify their insurance/DVLA as appropriate. Every time I see a car on eBay that has had an engine upgrade and says in the listing "still registered as a 1.2 so cheap insurance!" I report it and get it removed.

It's irresponsible, obviously illegal, and I wish the police and insurance companies cracked down on people doing it.

People should do the same with car dealers who say "this car is sold without a warranty ".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:30 

I'm pretty sure that as long as the car is described accurately they're fine. If they tell you why exactly there is no warranty, say the gearbox is a rusted heap lying next to the car and you buy it anyway then you can't come back wailing about your statutory rights over major mechanical defects.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 15:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

GazChap wrote:

What if it's had a brake upgrade? Or they've whipped the rear prop off a 4x4 to make it FWD?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 15:14 
UltraMod

Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

What if it's had a brake upgrade? Or they've whipped the rear prop off a 4x4 to make it FWD?

The DVLA and your insurer should still be informed.

I once bought a car that was a hatchback but the log book said it was a saloon. I got it changed pretty sharpish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 16:10 

Grim... wrote:

s'not really any different, is it? OK, so the first case there is making the car "better", but you could say that about many mods.

Imagine if said brake upgrade failed and the car went barrelling into a huge crowd of people. If you hadn't reported that brake upgrade to the insurers, they'd almost certainly refuse to pay out and you would soon find yourself on the hook for whatever legal, medical and compensation bills that massive crowd of people generated.

No excuse for not reporting IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 16:14 

Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
GazChap wrote:

The DVLA and your insurer should still be informed.

I once bought a car that was a hatchback but the log book said it was a saloon. I got it changed pretty sharpish.

Cut and shut standards are slipping.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 21:45 
Sitting balls-back folder

We went to jaguar land rover and sat in an epace, a Disco Sport, an xf sportbrake and for completeness an evoque.

The epace boot is basically as big as the fpace one, somehow (we looked in the back of one, but it's way too massive and a bit melty to bother testing). The evoque is a proper TARDIS of a vehicle but still an evoque.

The disco sport wins in every sensible aspect but not looks, comfort (epace S is somehow nicer than disco HSE) or being rwd by default.

The xf sportbrake is, thank fuck, not available in petrol-auto-AWD which is the only acceptable version and that's probably a fucking good job or we'd be having to buy two instead of one Jag.

We should be testing an epace p250 once the demonstrator is PDId and fuck it, why not an xf sportbrake of some stupid diesel variety while we're there.

And maybe an f-type svr. I mean if they're going to park two of the fucking things next to the bogs what do they expect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 21:49 
Gogmagog

How similar are the evoque and disco sports?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 21:54 

Quite but not. Hard to quantify. The disco feels... Softer.

Evoque and epace share a lot, like shit rear visibility, but the disco sport is as you'd imagine from the outside, a lot more glass to look out of, especially in the rear.

In terms of leg room front and back, space against the door and headroom, they're all much of a muchness - the evoque must have a huge amount of sheet metal to hide the space in the short windows.

We both quickly came to the conclusion the evoque is surprising but still a definite no, whereas the epace and disco are much more about spec, money and how sensible we can bring ourselves to be.

Hey, I'm not even mentioning the 300hp engine I'm totes being sensible!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 21:59 

Lonewolves wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
It has an eight speed box. Thankfully an auto, because I don’t think my tiny brain could figure out cornering gears with eight to pick from.

The manual would probably be a 6-speed. Autos have loads of gears these days to help with fuel economy.

Yeah about that

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 22:00 

I don't think you're doing it right.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 22:04 

Sadly hacking up the 101 through traffic is never any fun. But I’m doing ~500 miles on the weekend through some very quiet stretches of Northern California. I have high hopes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 22:09 

I'm sure once you get it in 9th and stick the cruise control on 55 it'll be everything you dreamed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 23:25 
UltraMod

I feel so much better about my Merc only getting 25 average now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 23:28 

Also note the tank is noticeably not full any more. I've only driven about 20 miles...

Also also: where it says "V8" in that screen it sometimes says "V4" because the engine just thinks to itself "oh hey, you're cruising and don't need power so I'll just shut half the cylinders down, nbd." You can't tell and they come back at once if you give it more throttle. It's witchcraft.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 23:59 
Excellent Painter

Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Also note the tank is noticeably not full any more. I've only driven about 20 miles...

Also also: where it says "V8" in that screen it sometimes says "V4" because the engine just thinks to itself "oh hey, you're cruising and don't need power so I'll just shut half the cylinders down, nbd." You can't tell and they come back at once if you give it more throttle. It's witchcraft.

Heh. That’s been on cars for 15 years, particularly V8 and above. What’s truly astonishing is even with it how shit the fuel economy is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 

The M5s that I had were programmed to not show lower than 7.0 mpg on the average - is that the same with this do you reckon or do you think you could get it lower?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 14:52 

I dunno, on the weekend I’ll be on some empty roads and I’ll see what I can do.

The trip computer has a lap timer! And a g-forece bubble display!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 16:59 

I watched Baby Driver on the plane and then this morning I tried to merge into traffic while turning right on a red light in a cherry red muscle car while listening to Bellbottom.

Car gets pretty squirmy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:02 
Gogmagog

This was a bit different. On the way to sledging

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:07 

Fuel economy update!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:08 

Demonstration of the non-existent rear view. I think this thing was designed by someone who hates glass. The forward view is pretty narrow too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:09 
Excellent Painter

It's like driving a Cylon helmet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:10 

DBSnappa wrote:

Hah! Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:10 
Gogmagog

DBSnappa wrote:

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:20 
UltraMod

13.7 is a bit better. That's just slightly worse than the UK Mustang.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:21 

How much right-wing talk radio can you tolerate before you cause an accident? My record is 32 minutes, including adverts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:24 
Comfortably Dumb

I'm not a big car nut, I do like the look of this Countach, although it looks like something from the old Screamer game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 18:31 

Lonewolves wrote:
13.7 is a bit better. That's just slightly worse than the UK Mustang.

It's still all urban traffic so far (as the averaged speed shows.) I'll get it out on the open road tomorrow.

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 491, 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497 ... 613  Next