Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 16:33 
Sleepyhead

Bring EVERYTHING!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 16:37 

Grim... wrote:
Cavey wrote:
In other news, I bust my big toe in 2 places over the weekend on the bike - which was nice. Clumsy twat.

Did you put the kick stand on it? My brother did that once.

No; it's almost too embarrassing to recount to be honest, talk about schoolboy error. Basically, overtook a whole bunch of waiting traffic on a left hand slip road with traffic lights. There was no traffic light on the other side of the road, so in order to see when the lights changed I couldn't do what I normally do & overshoot the 1st waiting car and slip in front (beyond the stop line). I had to stop right at the lights and look almost vertically up at the traffic light.

The twat of a car driver had pulled right to make things as awkward as possible; I couldn't go behind him as all the cars behind him were bumper to bumper. I also had to be quick pulling away first, as no doubt the car driver would try to "undertake" and leave me in no mans land (like they do :roll: ).

So there I am, looking vertically upwards. The light shows amber and I give it loads of right hand; the 700lbs Harley lurches forward with all the inertia this entails. Shame, then, that I didn't look down as well and notice how close I was to the raised traffic island, 'cause aforestated car was pushed right over to the right - which just caught the lowered toe of my boot as I lifted off the rear brake, forcing my right foot right down as I passed through the obstacle. Feck me that hurt.

I suppose I should just wait in line behind all the cars; it's far too big and heavy a bike to filter/queue jump - but I can't see me doing that anytime soon; half the pleasure of a bike is pissing off envious queuing car drivers. :D

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 16:40 

Cras wrote:
Fuck that, bring the Harley.

Harley or Porker? :)

( Cheers Troops :) )

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 16:41 

Curiosity wrote:
Bring EVERYTHING!

Mrs C isn't happy with this, even though I explained the rules of the forum.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 16:53 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Cavey wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Bring EVERYTHING!

Mrs C isn't happy with this, even though I explained the rules of the forum.

Tell her she can try Craster's meat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 17:08 

:D

Moving on; it would've been interesting to pit the Evora vs. the Cayman - I don't reckon there would've been a fag paper between them (whereas the Boxster would've just lost out by a nose). ~180mph, 0-60 in 4.7 secs... but it's the handling that's the true revelation; my kid bro and I agree we've never driven better (911 GTS included), and he races Sevens. What a babe.

They've chucked in a couple of track days at Silverstone as well, so I can learn to drive it half-decently, so that'll be good. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 17:21 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh man, if only Silverstone was only twenty miles away from where the 4BQ was being held.

OH HEY WAIT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 17:35 

Grim... wrote:
Oh man, if only Silverstone was only twenty miles away from where the 4BQ was being held.

OH HEY WAIT

Lulz. Not sure Porsche will appreciate 30 of us forumites all turning up, possibly in a state of pissed-ness, when they're only expecting me. Still, I like how you're thinking :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 21:24 

I do love the way the new Cayman and Boxster looks, especially from the rear. Although they've gone a bit overboard with the badging.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 22:59 
Sitting balls-back folder

Electric steering. No soul!

:kiss:

The new boxster looks sex. Well jell. From my lovely mobile sofa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:59 

GazChap wrote:
I do love the way the new Cayman and Boxster looks, especially from the rear. Although they've gone a bit overboard with the badging.

Yeah I know what you mean about the badging - it's a little OTT.
Car looks great in white (imo) though, especially with the mirrors folded - a real little 'exotic' in a way that the 987 never could, great little car though it is/was. Quite a rarity too (at least for now); I've only seen 981 Boxsters on the road, no Caymans at all.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:04 

BikNorton wrote:
Electric steering. No soul!

:kiss:

:DD :kiss:

Meh! Just call me Mr U-turn mate; I now drive a RR 4x4, and this will have an auto/flappy paddle 'box to boot as well lol...

The steering is a bit rubbish though, no getting away from it. Still, every car has its weakness; just a shame that this was entirely avoidable. The precise same engine makes 345ps in the 911 as well; why couldn't they have this state of tune in the Cayman? (Rhetorical question; can't overshadow the much more expensive 911, but it's still BS)

Quote:
The new boxster looks sex. Well jell. From my lovely mobile sofa.

Cheers mate, but your car is very far from a mobile sofa - seriously quick, vast midrange and twist, well sorted and a vastly more practical proposition. 35mpg will be a distant fantasy for me.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:05 

Cavey wrote:
I've only seen 981 Boxsters on the road

Don't sound that rare! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:07 

I just went on the Porsche site to have a look. What they've done with extending the lines from the air intakes, I can't look at that new Boxster and not think of an MR2. That new 911 Targa, though. Not seen that before, that's really pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 

GazChap wrote:
Cavey wrote:
I've only seen 981 Boxsters on the road

Don't sound that rare! ;)

Heh!
(Sorry, I'm such a pathetic Porsche geek)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:18 

markg wrote:
I just went on the Porsche site to have a look. What they've done with extending the lines from the air intakes, I can't look at that new Boxster and not think of an MR2. That new 911 Targa, though. Not seen that before, that's really pretty.

True enough; the 981 Boxster (and Cayman) does look a fair bit like a Mk III MR2. Your average Porsche fan would be huffing and puffing at this point, but not me - the MR2 is a pretty car. :)

Agreed on the 911 Targa - it's gorgeous. I can't afford one though, and besides I wasn't at all impressed with the 911 (991) Cab that I drove.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 

35mpg is a distant fantasy for me! Since it was reset during the compression/leakdown testing the average is settling around 19 (and I've fucked the dpf).

And it's totally a mobile sofa, it just happens to also have the qualities you listed. S'why I love it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:01 
ugvm'er at heart...

19? in a diesel? Blimey, you should just get a petrol and be done with it :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:02 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

There's a 35?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:08 

tell me about it! I knew my.commute was pretty much worst-case for a derv but Jesus. The m3 gave 17, the twingo 25 and hel's focus sits at 26.

Though it's a shitload worse when I have a go, obviously.

the run to oxford tomorrow will make it worthwhile though, it returns 30 cruising at whatever speed I fancy when it gets going.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:11 

In other news, Porsche tell me they are overwhelmed with interest (and orders) for their Macan 4x4, which is basically a rebadged Audi Q5.

Bleh I say. BLEH.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 13:13 

BikNorton wrote:
35mpg is a distant fantasy for me! Since it was reset during the compression/leakdown testing the average is settling around 19 (and I've fucked the dpf).

And it's totally a mobile sofa, it just happens to also have the qualities you listed. S'why I love it! :D

Cripes, 19mpg is a bit steep mate :D
Still, bollocks to economy, the Cayman won't be much better when given the beans. :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 19:00 
Excellent Painter

@Cavey

Those new Caymans are very nice. Interestingly, where I'm working at the moment there's a 997 and a Cayman parked nose to tail and the Cayman looks slightly bigger. Are you leasing this or buying it outright? I'd be inclined to look carefully at aftermarket remaps if you're buying — I new someone once who had a first gen Boxster with a 911 engine in it. That was a bit quick.

I'm sure there will be a modified steering set up eventually, looking at how much the motoring press have been spunking over the GT3, which has the same electric steering as the standard Carrera but has a different tune.

Agree with you about Porsche being annoying with their deliberate model protectionist set ups. We all know the Cayman would absolutely slay a 911 with the same power. I understand it, but I still find it slightly cynical.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 19:29 

DBSnappa wrote:
@Cavey

Those new Caymans are very nice. Interestingly, where I'm working at the moment there's a 997 and a Cayman parked nose to tail and the Cayman looks slightly bigger. Are you leasing this or buying it outright? I'd be inclined to look carefully at aftermarket remaps if you're buying — I new someone once who had a first gen Boxster with a 911 engine in it. That was a bit quick.

I'm sure there will be a modified steering set up eventually, looking at how much the motoring press have been spunking over the GT3, which has the same electric steering as the standard Carrera but has a different tune.

Agree with you about Porsche being annoying with their deliberate model protectionist set ups. We all know the Cayman would absolutely slay a 911 with the same power. I understand it, but I still find it slightly cynical.

Cheers mate. :)
I don't have actual car dimensions to hand, but I'd be surprised if the Cayman (981) were longer than a (997) 991, as it's only a 2-seater, unlike the 911's 2+2 configuration?

I'm leasing (it's all 'on tick', being the arse that I am), so they won't let me remap the engine - but to be honest there's very little to be had anyway, given the lack of turbo. Most remaps I've seen only claim another 15PS or so, which doesn't really seem worth the expense, voided warranty and possible detriment to power curve and/or torque? Could be wrong.

As you say, the GT3 electric rack seems more promising - if you believe the mags. Me? I'm cynical; only the other day I was reading Top Gear online (ok not the best of sources/mags) - Paul Horrell said something along the lines of '... we used to think the BMW M135i was the bizz, but to be honest we'd never thrashed one down a 'corkscrewing' country lane when we told you all that..' or somesuch. I was appalled and said so in the comments; didn't get a response! Personally I think electric steering sucks balls on whatever car it's fitted to, and won't change that viewpoint until and unless *I* drive a car which disproves this theory. (The Cayman's electric steering is accurate and positive enough; there is *some* feedback, but it's a pale imitation of my old-school Boxster's hydraulic set up. And for what benefit? 0.01mpg? Ridiculous on any car, let alone such a focused, all-out sportscar. Gngh).

Agree with you about Porsche protecting the 911 by "hobbling" the superior mid-engined Boxster and Caymans with deliberately detuned engines, but the *real* scandal is that, in effect, other manufacturers 'allow' them to do this, by not providing anything like decent opposition? It's obscene that £50k+ Cayman S is 25PS down on what the exact same engine gives in the 911- but seriously, is any keen driver honestly going to take a BMW Z4, Audi TT RS or SLK(!) instead..? The 'detuned' Cayman will still wipe 'em out and out-handle them all in any real world situation?

Porsche told me that as part of their staff training, they make them drive a Z4, TT-RS and SLK at Silverstone, as well as the Cayman.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 23:33 
Hibernating Druid

As some may know my beloved little Ibiza TDi Sport was taken from me by a cunt in a Meriva.

Insurance thankfully paid out what it was worth but I couldn't find a replacement (well I found a bright yellow on but Mrs Z said 'fuck that'). Been looking at Leons and thought I found a beaut in the Autotrader in Stoke, which turned out to be a fucking shed after I went to see it. While we were out (Dad and myself) we decided to see another Leon over in Sheffield and she was nicey, so I've put a deposit on her and pick her up next week.

I've lost 20bhp (Ibiza was the 130 variety) but gained more doors and bit of room for my bigger kids, working aircon, non bubbly alloys and electric windows that go all the way down :D

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:27 
Chinny chin chin

If you are worried about ninjas snatching your lady, then there is only one car choice:

As none of my family were ever snatched by ninjas I can only assume that when my Dad decided an XR3i was a sensible family car in 1988 he indeed knew of the ninja threat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 14:14 
Hibernating Druid

My Uncle Dave's XR3i was used in an armed robbery just after he sold it on.

Zardoz Trufax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 14:23 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Right, "after", okay!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 14:48 
Hibernating Druid

After.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 20:31 
Chinny chin chin

An equally ludicrous advert for the XR4.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 21:53 
Hibernating Druid

All car adverts should be exactly like that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 13:55 
Unpossible!

http://www.reddit.com/r/justrolledintotheshop

Good lord, some of these are bad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 18:51 

Today! Was oil and filter change (with flush), fuel filter and air/pollen ones
wasn't going to do the pollen but there's a service kit.which includes it for the same price as the others.without.

the oil must have been like tar, it revs like a bloody petrol now.

'bmw' oil was £174 plus vat, whatever he used instead was £70. Heh. Who'd think it'd want a) 5w30 and b) 9 litres.

Because a car had just been logged onto the mot station I had a choice of waiting or taking his.personal car, a seat Leon 1.9 tdi with upgraded turbo and injectors, mapped to 260bhp, poly bushes all.round to cope with the torque.

Its fucking horrible, and of course is saturated with oil, soot and brake dust. Still, nice of him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 19:43 
Decapodian

Went to check my new car over at the weekend, then will collect it in a fortnight. It all looks very nice IMO, and I'm looking forward to it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:38 
ugvm'er at heart...

The Beemer has been sent to BMW to fix the lights, apparently.
The 2001 C class merc i've been given as a loaner is fucking awful :D Cheap interior, rattly as fuck, very soft and bouncy. Hopefully it is fucked, rather than a typical example.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:05 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Went to check my new car over at the weekend, then will collect it in a fortnight. It all looks very nice IMO, and I'm looking forward to it.

Very smart mate, love the colour.
Likey! :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 13:08 

Trooper wrote:
The 2001 C class merc i've been given as a loaner is fucking awful :D Cheap interior, rattly as fuck, very soft and bouncy. Hopefully it is fucked, rather than a typical example.

Mercs suck balls mate, especially that vintage.
Also, a 12-year old heap as a "courtesy" car...? More like a fecking discourtesy car. Did it have the requisite overflowing ash tray, about four "Feu Orange" 80s car fresheners to hide the awful stink, and dog hair all over the seats? :D

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 14:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Cavey wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Mercs suck balls mate, especially that vintage.
Also, a 12-year old heap as a "courtesy" car...? More like a fecking discourtesy car. Did it have the requisite overflowing ash tray, about four "Feu Orange" 80s car fresheners to hide the awful stink, and dog hair all over the seats? :D

Their usual courtesy cars are Fiat 500s. The Merc came in the day before so he just chucked me the keys and said I could have that for as long as I needed it.
It's a family run business, rather than a national chain or anything like that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 14:45 
Decapodian

A chap came and picked up my Bravo this morning so I'm carless till next Saturday. Looks like I'll be using the Vespa to get to work.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 17:18 
chewbacca -future arc welder

We grew an exhaust manifold! each pipe took a day to shape and fit and theres 12 hours of solid welding in there. 3.5 mm stainless pipe is a proper bitch to work with!

Attachment:
WP_20140206_003.jpg

Attachment:
WP_20140214_005.jpg

Attachment:
WP_20140214_003.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 19:28 
Hibernating Druid

What's that going in?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 19:50 

A tiddly little mx5 :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Awesome work!
/looks outside
Fancy doing eight more?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:10 

why eight? you have eight mx5s??

tell you what really needs a turbo; a rover v8
/whistles innocently

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 

the golf is parked up as it is becoming more and more difficult to start, the pistons probably now resemble a pencil in a tin can, but it has done well for it's 170k odd miles and as a reward I am now looking for a seat ibiza/mk4 golf/skoda fabia/audi a3 circa 2000 to steal the engine from and do this. it needs to be a 1.8 petrol turbo 20v (audi a3 sport) manual and can have as much damage as it likes to the sides or rear. its surprisingly hard to find a non road worthy one around here and I might end up having to go to an auction which is a bit scary!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:26 
Decapodian

Have a look at Briskoda.net. There's usually a few Mk1 Octavia VRSs being broken for parts so you might get a decent engine there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 13:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

krazywookie wrote:
why eight? you have eight mx5s??

Eight pipes ;)

krazywookie wrote:
tell you what really needs a turbo; a rover v8
/whistles innocently

New-age heathen. Big V8s get superchargers.

Attachment:
chargerinstall003.jpg

Hrrrrrn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 15:13 

This disagrees... :p

srsly though, thats a pretty cool engine bay. except the ye-olde-worlde clutch master ;) how much power does it make?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 15:58 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Christ knows - it was just a picture from the internet.

There is a guy that got nearly five hundred horses from one though - from a 3.9 engine, the poor bloody thing :S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 17:47 
ugvm'er at heart...

My Beemer has been fixed! Apparently it was a fault with the iPod connector :shrug:
If I pick it up and it still has the intermittent headlight fault, I won't be a happy bunny...

Reply to topic  [ 30632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 357, 358, 359, 360, 361, 362, 363 ... 613  Next