Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 

Your mum didn't want to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 
*lurk*

GazChap wrote:
Your mum didn't want to.

:insincere:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:54 

Go on - just one more post until 200! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:55 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Mr Russell wrote:
And nobody else is interested in the real life, sad, true story of why Zeppo never wanted the iPod you had engraved for him?

I am ... I have not hear the story

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:56 

T-t-t TWO HUNDRED! :blown:

Last edited by Cras on Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
C-c-c-combo breaker.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:56 

To drag this vaguely back on topic :P

Picked it up on Saturday. Not a spot of rust on it, a couple of minor scratches and a scuff on the rear bumper. Recent cam belt change and full service.

It's a hoot to drive, although I'm not brave enough to test its limits just yet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:57 
ugvm'er at heart...

Zeppo changed his name via deed poll to "Apple 30Gb"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
To drag this vaguely back on topic :P

Picked it up on Saturday. Not a spot of rust on it, a couple of minor scratches and a scuff on the rear bumper. Recent cam belt change and full service.

It's a hoot to drive, although I'm not brave enough to test its limits just yet.

Shame I flogged mine just before you got this, you could have had some sexy bits from it :)
I know the guy who is parting it out if you want the oem front lip, or reclining bucket, or front strut brace, or anything like that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:09 

Yours was a Mk1 wasn't it?

Already has most of that stuff anyway being the Sport S-VT model :) I do need to get a rollbar/style bar though, looks a bit odd without one. And possibly a hardtop.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:16 
ugvm'er at heart...

It was a mk1, but most stuff in the mk1/2/2.5 can be swapped over. I had a TR-lane rollbar in mine, which fits all models, but that has been sold apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:18 
ugvm'er at heart...

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... 05/2804396

nnnngggghhhhh

Under £14k now...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:19 

Never understood the purpose of hard tops for MX5s. There's nothing better than blarting around on cold winters days with the roof down and the heater blowing. The hoods are excellent too, you can open and close them with one hand whilst still sat in the car and they have a proper glass screen and everything.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:22 
ugvm'er at heart...

Me either. Scrape off the ice and drop the top.

Fuck it, i'm going to buy another :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:24 

Is there any such thing as a "baby trailer" you can get for them like people have for bicycles?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:25 
ugvm'er at heart...

Luggage rack and gaffer tape.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:39 

I did see a bike rack on an mx5 yesterday. not sure on the make of bike rack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:51 

The hardtop is more so I can keep the car parked up unused for a little while without worrying about the condition of the soft top.

More of a nicety than a must-have though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 14:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Have we all seen the new MX5? It's absolutely lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 16:52 
chewbacca -future arc welder

GazChap wrote:
The hardtop is more so I can keep the car parked up unused for a little while without worrying about the condition of the soft top.

More of a nicety than a must-have though.

wouldn't do that, best way to preserve a soft top is to keep it up. If you fold it all away over winter with the hard top on then come spring you have some lovely big splits and creases in the fabric...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 16:53 
chewbacca -future arc welder

Also new MX-5 mmmmmmm :luv:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 17:11 

Trooper wrote:
Under £14k now...

The car might be.

The "bork fund" won't be though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 18:58 
Sitting balls-back folder

Fat thighs ruin it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 19:28 
ugvm'er at heart...

GazChap wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Under £14k now...

The car might be.

The "bork fund" won't be though.

Oh yes, the general maintenance and running costs are utterly horrific, god forbid anything actually goes wrong.
It even puts me off, so it must be pretty extreme :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 20:35 

I realise this post is probably sacrilege in this thread, so feel free to banish me to a thread of my own making.

I'm after a new car (so far, so good, I know), however, I do about 400 miles a week, so I'm after a much higher number in the mpg column than most of you are familiar with. I'm greedy though, and want the best of both worlds, so I still want something that can pull away at reasonable speed and still has a bit of power in it if I feel the need to overtake on the motorway.

On paper, I've pretty much trawled parkers for anything with the word eco in the name, and it looks like I'm still in the 1.6/1.7 diesel territory. So far, my potentials include: Ford Fiesta/Focus, Kia Ceed, Seat Leon, Vauxhall Corsa/Astra. Anything I'm missing, or anything there I should avoid like the plague?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 20:44 
Gogmagog

Golf. Get a golf.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 20:50 
Decapodian

What's your budget?
The previous generation VAG 2.0 TDI engines in a golf, Leon or Octavia will get close to 50mpg when driven sensibly and 9ish seconds to 60 if not.

The current generation ones are 10% better and 10% faster.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:00 

Hmm, I forgot about Golfs, my excuse is that I was fed up by the time I'd got to Vauxhall. Budget is kind of an unknown, because I haven't really put things down on paper yet, let's say £10 -£12k, less is better, but I'd pay a bit more for something better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:05 
Awesome
Yes

Only going from what I've owned, Focus was great for motorway driving, but I used to get 66/67 mpg out of my Yaris (diesel).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:11 
Decapodian

Something like this?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:21 

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Don't really need something that big, looking for something a bit more economical, and not necessarily that fast. Thanks for looking though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 21:45 
Decapodian

This might be more likely then.

Or

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 2/usedcars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 22:05 

Yeah, better, I'll have a look at those in a bit more detail. Thanks.
For comparisons sake, I'm currently driving a 207, which, on paper, gets 64mpg and does 0-60 in 12.5 (I think). My (possibly flawed) theory, is that regardless of what I actually get (about 45, I think), something that gets more than 64mpg on paper, will do more than whatever it is I actually get, and I can get some vague ideas of how much it's going to cost me to run. Something like a Fiesta 1.6 econetic gets 85mpg on paper, which I think could save me around £500 a year in fuel, which I obviously find quite an attractive prospect. Sadly, they seem to be a fairly rare breed (at least locally), hence my horizon expanding exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 22:27 

I like my golf. A mk6 tdi is in your budget.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 22:36 
Ready for action

I do about the same miles as you and I drive a 1.8 petrol civic, getting average 45mpg. Think my next car will be a diesel though, maybe a focus or a nice high end estate like a bmw or a Volvo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:11 
Excellently Membered

What I find odd is that can get around 45 MPG from my 1.6 2001 shitty astra SXI. Yet my golf 2011 1.4 TSI get around the same despite being told it should shit all over it. I find the mpg a difficult thing to gauge until driven. The only difference is that the golf is mostly used as a day to day car and the astra for longer journeys, both petrol. Which might account for it but even on the longer runs I notice the golf struggles to keep a high mpg... I did once get close to 55 mpg but literally did 10 miles under the speed limit all the way to manchester. Which is a little boring.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:17 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Smaller cars get better miles than their bigger brethren, so you might want to think about a Polo rather than a Golf.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:28 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Or you buy this Jag for a grand, get 20MPG and then you've got £9k left to spend on petrol, which (if my post-quiz brain is working) will get you over 30,000 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:42 
Decapodian

Joans wrote:
Yeah, better, I'll have a look at those in a bit more detail. Thanks.
For comparisons sake, I'm currently driving a 207, which, on paper, gets 64mpg and does 0-60 in 12.5 (I think). My (possibly flawed) theory, is that regardless of what I actually get (about 45, I think), something that gets more than 64mpg on paper, will do more than whatever it is I actually get, and I can get some vague ideas of how much it's going to cost me to run. Something like a Fiesta 1.6 econetic gets 85mpg on paper, which I think could save me around £500 a year in fuel, which I obviously find quite an attractive prospect. Sadly, they seem to be a fairly rare breed (at least locally), hence my horizon expanding exercise.

The 1.6 TDI engine in those will return north of 60mpg on a longer run and are in the £30 tax band - plenty of people on Briskoda.net have the Fabia and are pleased with it getting a genuine 50-something MPG all round The Ibiza is mechanically the same and probably the better looking car. Both of those are top trim level examples, so you could sacrifice gadgets for a newer car, and if you want a bit more space without stepping up a class there's an estate version of each.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:10 

Grim... wrote:
Or you buy this Jag for a grand, get 20MPG and then you've got £9k left to spend on petrol, which (if my post-quiz brain is working) will get you over 30,000 miles.

This would be a sound plan if I was looking to upgrade again in around 18 months time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 23:32 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sympathies. The Ka has been overheating. Initial look see suggests blocked pipes or fucked water pump. Will try and find time to change the pump in the week. Or take bIg car to work.

Haynes manual ordered yesterday, it arrived today. Seems it could be as simple as a temp sensor doohickey. A ha ha ha. Simple.

Woop! Lolz to follow.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 16:51 
Hello Hello Hello

CAR GET! IPOD GET!

Car is fab, exactly what I was hoping for, a really tight point-and-squirt hot hatch BUT perfectly tame and easy to get along with as a family car. Keep it under 4000rpm and nothing much really happens, did 60 miles on family duties today and it was a very easy car to get along with, cabin is a nice civilised place to be, no problems at all. (There was a slight raising of an eyebrow when Mrs Hearthly clocked that it was a three door and she'd have to climb in the back, but hey ho.)

I reset the computer when I got it and average MPG for the first 100 miles is 36.7mpg, not too shabby at all.

Have only opened it out a few times but it's classic VTEC, up to 4500rpm it's rather tame, 4500-6500rpm things get a lot livelier and then 6500rpm-8500rpm it goes absolutely fucking bananas. (It's had a replacement exhaust put on from the cat backwards, so it sounds pretty sweet too.)

The iPod arrived this morning (as very generously donated by GazChap, and very much appreciated it is too) and thus followed my first usage of iTunes on a PC for many years. OH MY GOD WHY IS ITUNES SO HORRIBLE? All I wanted to do was copy a few folders of trance to the iPod from the NAS, but of course iTunes doesn't work like that.

After much tussling and frustration with how iTunes sits between my music collection and the iPod, I managed to copy a load of trance on there and divined a method to create a playlist for it. (I've got hundreds of mp3s 60-70 minutes long, recorded straight off trance.fm and literally just called 001.mp3, 002.mp3, 003.mp3 and so on, and iTunes is hassling me about artists and genres and wanting to fucking scan everything to look for stuff, fucking thing.)

Thanks to a Civic Wiki site I learned that the playlists need to be called Honda1xxxyyyzzz, Honda2xxxyyyzzz etc and then the iPod kit in the Civic sees the iPod as a nine disc CD changer and you can control it from the head unit/steering wheel, with 'discs' 1-7 being the first seven playlists on there, 8 being a random play of everything on the iPod, and 9 being whatever it's playing when you plug it in.

I just did one massive playlist for all the trance I'd copied to the iPod, disconnected it from iTunes, plugged it into the connector in the Civic, a Honda logo popped up on the iPod's screen and it worked perfectly. The connector also charges the iPod so no need to worry about that, and it resumes exactly where it left off when you turned the ignition off when you next turn the ignition on. (The head unit also controls the iPod's power, so I don't have to touch the iPod at all, it simply sits in its little hidden cubbyhole.)

So after the initial frustration with iTunes and me wishing I just still had a USB connector like in the Accord, it's turned out to be absolutely fine, and I really do doff my cap to GazChap for being so kind as to post the iPod out to me for just the cost of postage. (Having had a look on eBay they're not exactly worthless!)

So yeah, all seems pretty cool :)

Attachment:
IMG_20141003_133933.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20141003_133942.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20141004_163906.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 18:33 
Gogmagog

Sounds great!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 18:37 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Sympathies. The Ka has been overheating. Initial look see suggests blocked pipes or fucked water pump. Will try and find time to change the pump in the week. Or take bIg car to work.

Haynes manual ordered yesterday, it arrived today. Seems it could be as simple as a temp sensor doohickey. A ha ha ha. Simple.

Woop! Lolz to follow.

Changed it. Getting spring clips off then looking for them took longer than anything else. Here's the hole where the air box is, it sits beneath it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 22:26 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Top work, Mali.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:12 
Gogmagog

Grim... wrote:
Top work, Mali.

Ta. I totally didn't have to take the air box off again when I remembered the air intake was still blocked half a turn away from starting the engine, either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 21:22 

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/models

Saw one of these on site yesterday. It looks nice close up.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

So after a car, similar reqt's to Joans. Was just looking at the Seat website, and the mpg is quoted at 5.1mpg for a 1.2 Seat Ibiza. This seems a little low?

Also, why is the Seat website so shit. What is the difference between the 1.4 85PS and the 1.2 105PS? Why would I choose the 1.4?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 13:11 
Decapodian

The 1.2 is a far newer turbocharged engine that will be both quicker and more efficient than the old 1.4. It's definitely the one to go for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 13:20 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nooo! You can't get rid of the Ka!

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 370, 371, 372, 373, 374, 375, 376 ... 613  Next