Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:09 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
The Pit is open on Sunday! Pick me up on your way past!

I know it's a 4x4 but I don't think it is quite that capable :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Pfft. Some guy got a Volvo V70 XC round, you'd be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:24 
Hello Hello Hello

That's a nice car how come it's so cheap? High miles I know, but even so, cheap!

Obliteraingly bad on fuel likes, but then again you've had your share of guzzlers in the past already lolz.

Probably got a decent turn of pace too, isn't it the same 3-litre boxer they use in the Legacy Spec-B?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 19:32 
Gogmagog

Those wing mirrors look like they will fit mine. I hope you get more than 26mpg.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 20:21 
ugvm'er at heart...

Hearthly wrote:
That's a nice car how come it's so cheap? High miles I know, but even so, cheap!

Obliteraingly bad on fuel likes, but then again you've had your share of guzzlers in the past already lolz.

Probably got a decent turn of pace too, isn't it the same 3-litre boxer they use in the Legacy Spec-B?

Yup same engine, 250bhp,should be reasonably peppy.

It's from a guy on my Facebook, his new car is being delivered on Saturday so he wants rid. I expect £1500 is still better than he could get from a dealer, and his deposit on his new car (a Golf R) is £1500, so it works out.

I'm expecting 24mpg average, so anything over that is a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 22:38 
Best
Board Mother

I have a Hyundai i30 as a courtesy car at the moment (Jazzy returned home from the cottage to a pranged car...). It's a surprisingly nice drive, very smooth. I wouldn't want one myself though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:29 
Excellent Member

Quote:
It's from a guy on my Facebook, his new car is being delivered on Saturday so he wants rid. I expect £1500 is still better than he could get from a dealer, and his deposit on his new car (a Golf R) is £1500, so it works out.

There are some cracking lease deals on the Golf R, 3 people I work with have ordered them on 10,000 PA 2 year leases. They cost £250 a month as well as I think something like £2,000 down.

Almost got one myself, until my wife found out how fast they are and blocked it :DD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

asfish wrote:
Quote:

There are some cracking lease deals on the Golf R, 3 people I work with have ordered them on 10,000 PA 2 year leases. They cost £250 a month as well as I think something like £2,000 down.

Almost got one myself, until my wife found out how fast they are and blocked it :DD

Yup, the business lease deals on them have been incredibly good. Lots of dodgy deals being done on personal lease to get the business rate though, which ended up with a huge amount of cancelled orders by VW!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:39 
Filthy Junkie Bitch

Trooper wrote:
asfish wrote:
Quote:

Yup, the business lease deals on them have been incredibly good. Lots of dodgy deals being done on personal lease to get the business rate though, which ended up with a huge amount of cancelled orders by VW!

Which is a bit off, as the only differentiation should only be VAT, which isn't the suppliers problem.

My new car is actually more expensive for being on a business lease (before I claw the VAT back, natch).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:53 
Excellent Member

Trooper wrote:
asfish wrote:
Quote:

2 out of the 3 people have had their cars delivered so fingers crossed for the last one!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:42 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, you can pay your car tax monthly now. 18 year old Grim... would have loved that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:43 

I'm loving it too, now I only need to remember to get it MOT'd.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:52 
Unpossible!

I'm paying monthly, mainly because I can, godammit. Also, tax on a 16 year old 1.2 petrol = £140 :(

Edit: It's weird not having a tax disc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:07 
ugvm'er at heart...

Monthly costs extra though, remember.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:08 
Unpossible!

Typical Osborne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:08 
Unpossible!

Typical Osborne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:02 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Typical Osborne?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:03 

SHARON!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 13:06 
ugvm'er at heart...

Interestingly, the new tax system is quite convenient for a buying a car now, due to the inefficiencies in the system.
Whereas before if you bought a car and the seller wanted to keep the tax disc, you had a higher chance of being caught if you drove it home without taxing it, due to needing to display a tax disc.
Now that you don't need to display, and it's a computerised system that will check your car via cameras, the car will show up as taxed in the system, until the V5 gets sent in and processed. This typically take 2 weeks for DVLA to process.

The only way you will currently get caught, is if you get pulled over by the rozzers for some other reason, and they ask you about your tax.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:11 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The car's taxed, though.

As long as your insured, it's all good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:17 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
The car's taxed, though.

As long as your insured, it's all good.

As soon as you sign the V5 the car is no longer taxed. The tax is linked to the owner these days.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:22 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Oh, okay. It'd take a stroppy copper to write you up for that one, though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 14:33 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:

Luckily, as long as you aren't speeding, these days they won't bother to stop you for anything else, if you ever see one... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 15:43 
Gogmagog

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Luckily, as long as you aren't speeding, these days they won't bother to stop you for anything else, if you ever see one... ;)

...and don't they look young these days?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 15:52 
Paws for thought

Trooper wrote:
Luckily, as long as you aren't speeding, these days they won't bother to stop you for anything else

Objection: I've been in a car that was pulled over for being too slow and hesitant.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 16:20 
Gogmagog

Mr Dave wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Luckily, as long as you aren't speeding, these days they won't bother to stop you for anything else

Objection: I've been in a car that was pulled over for being too slow and hesitant.

Are you the Fresh Prince, or Calton?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:20 
Excellent Painter

http://m.autocar.co.uk/car-review/merce ... ive-review

Looks fantastic, drives like it too apparently

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:27 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Lovely as it is, I am sad about the removal of the gullwing doors, sadder still that it's gone from a big NA engine to a smaller blown one, and properly 8) about the fact that the turbochargers are inside the engine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 
Sitting balls-back folder

That's just bad wording I think - they've done the same as BMw did with the two power v8 in the x5 years ago and switched intake and exhaust around so the turbos are mounted in the V rather than outside the block volume, shortening the length of the manifold runners.

so merc get to say they're first road *car* because BMW have gone back to inline sixes for their blown *cars*.

No, hang on, the m5 is a blown v8 isnt it? Surely that'd be twinpower... So maybe they are part of the block, or some other sneak.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:58 

Apparently I'm confused on what twinpower is but they were definitely mounting the turbo inside the V of a V8 on something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 13:15 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

That makes me reshape my eyes somewhat less.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:29 
Prince of Fops

Advice! Does anyone have any experience of i-Shift gearboxes with Honda?

Is it essentially a semi-automatic? I'm looking at a second-hand Jazz after my ancient Golf decided to stop unlocking, in an unforgivable pique of passive-aggressiveness. But I'm not really after an automatic, would prefer a manual, but would be willing to live with i-shift if it's not a piece of i-shit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 13:27 
Level 6 Laser Lotus

Findus Fop wrote:

Is it essentially a semi-automatic? I'm looking at a second-hand Jazz after my ancient Golf decided to stop unlocking, in an unforgivable pique of passive-aggressiveness. But I'm not really after an automatic, would prefer a manual, but would be willing to live with i-shift if it's not a piece of i-shit.

have no experience myself but a quick web search brought up this -

Quote:
I-Shift, they call the Honda Jazz's ‘automatic' transmission. This is a misnomer. It doesn't. Shift, that is. Not very often, anyhow. And not very well at all.

It is, in short, utter pants. You're at the traffic lights. Light goes green. Pin the throttle. The little Jazz revs sweetly, up and into the VTEC. I-Shift decides to change up, because that's what automatic gearboxes do.

Accelerate, accelerate, and then... nothing. Complete loss of power. Your head jolts forwards towards the windscreen. Seemingly seconds and seconds of interminable nothingness as the i-Shift searches for the next gear - confound it, I'm sure I left it here somewhere - and then... clunk. Awkwardly, abruptly into gear, head thumped back into the headrest, up through the revs to do it all over again. Oh dear.

You learn to drive round it a bit, easing off the accelerator on changes, helping i-Shift as much as you can. You will feel sorry for i-Shift. But even if you take manual control of the shifts from the flappy paddles, it's still awful: too slow to change, useless at matching the revs, jerky to the point of nausea, despite being a clutchless manual rather than a full automatic. It's a similar set-up to the equally ponderous Smart ForTwo. Maybe a normal auto would work better

So the topgear website thinks its pretty bad

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 13:40 
Prince of Fops

Slightly Green wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:

have no experience myself but a quick web search brought up this -

Quote:
I-Shift, they call the Honda Jazz's ‘automatic' transmission. This is a misnomer. It doesn't. Shift, that is. Not very often, anyhow. And not very well at all.

It is, in short, utter pants. You're at the traffic lights. Light goes green. Pin the throttle. The little Jazz revs sweetly, up and into the VTEC. I-Shift decides to change up, because that's what automatic gearboxes do.

Accelerate, accelerate, and then... nothing. Complete loss of power. Your head jolts forwards towards the windscreen. Seemingly seconds and seconds of interminable nothingness as the i-Shift searches for the next gear - confound it, I'm sure I left it here somewhere - and then... clunk. Awkwardly, abruptly into gear, head thumped back into the headrest, up through the revs to do it all over again. Oh dear.

You learn to drive round it a bit, easing off the accelerator on changes, helping i-Shift as much as you can. You will feel sorry for i-Shift. But even if you take manual control of the shifts from the flappy paddles, it's still awful: too slow to change, useless at matching the revs, jerky to the point of nausea, despite being a clutchless manual rather than a full automatic. It's a similar set-up to the equally ponderous Smart ForTwo. Maybe a normal auto would work better

So the topgear website thinks its pretty bad

ah great, thank you. Sounds like it's to be avoided. I can make myself nauseous well enough with my own sloppy gear changes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 16:54 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

A group of my friends are buying some cheap cars and going on a road trip to the Nürburgring in May next year. If anyone is interested in coming with us, drop me a PM for more info.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:02 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
A group of my friends are buying some cheap cars and going on a road trip to the Nürburgring in May next year. If anyone is interested in coming with us, drop me a PM for more info.

Toad and I are actively searching for a vehicle now, we should probably think of a team name first though...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:12 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Toad and I are actively searching for a vehicle now, we should probably think of a team name first though...

Christ, that's putting a lot of faith into my organisation skills :)

You should maybe wait for a confirmation date before putting any money down!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:13 
ugvm'er at heart...

Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Christ, that's putting a lot of faith into my organisation skills :)

You should maybe wait for a confirmation date before putting any money down!

:D just applying a little pressure ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:19 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

At this stage, at least, there's not much I can do until Nurturing update thier event schedule.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:44 
ugvm'er at heart...

No worries, I can work around whatever date it ends up being.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:46 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

thinking of getting a Toyota Auris 1.6 (2013) - anyone know of a reason not to get this? The next in line is the Seat Ibiza

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:53 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Keep the Ka!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:54 

:(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 13:59 
ugvm'er at heart...

Buy a Puma!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 15:16 
Gogmagog

Buy another Ka! I might fix the radio by then!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 16:41 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Trooper wrote:
Buy a Puma!

No, shush, we need plenty of those on the market.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 13:01 
Prince of Fops

While it seems like I won't be buying a honda because of it's cruddy i-shift, their clever bastards in marketing have been, well, clever.

https://www.youtube.com/user/HondaVideo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 15:32 

Right looking at a car tomorrow, it is a 1.6 2013 Toyota Auris done ~13000 miles. It is on the market for £11k.
How much should I pay for it?
Also, there is another one V.similar which seems to come with a 3.5 Toyota year warranty (cf 1 sales place yr), how much value would people place on that extended warranty?

Also, is there a way to check the brakes without removing wheels? Should the sales place have a "report" detailing the state of the car?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 21:44 

I just got a text from Williams offering me a 116i sport for £249 with no.deposit.

Why does their system think it's worth spamming me with that when I have a massive 3 litre diesel estate?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 21:49 
Decapodian

Because most families have more than one car these days?

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 373, 374, 375, 376, 377, 378, 379 ... 613  Next