Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 613  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gas Guzzling Money Pits
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 18:38 

I've owned three cars. I passed my test in 2000, but only got my first wheels eight years later, opening up the wonders of the supermarkets on the ring road to me.

i. Bright red early-1990s VW Polo . I was always surprised about how much I could fit into it. 2008 - 2010
ii. Blue P-reg Nissan Almera. A bit of a workhorse. 2010-2014
iii. Silver 2008 Chevrolet Lacetti . Yes, it's got all the stylings of a Tesco Value Cornflake packet and the interior is plastic, but it's a fun drive and surprisingly nippy especially when going round bends on country lanes. 2014 - date.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 
Kinda Funny Lookin'

Blue Citroen AX
Metallic Blue Citroen AX (Splendidly nippy and excellent in the snow)
Silver Citroen Saxo VTS (Probably my favourite car I've owned)
Bell end purple 1.6 Vauxhall Vectra (Company car...utterly forgettable)
Bronze(ish) Scooby 2.5 Legacy (excellent car, but the requirement for Super Unleaded and servicing after 8k meant it would have been cheaper to throw fivers out of the window while driving)
Black Skoda Octavia VRS (Excellent, speedy and economical, stolen twice and didn't come back the second time)
Blue 2005 1.6 Mitibushi Lancer Estate (Bought from my parents to replace the Octavia, a potato of a car that has done the business for the last seven or so years however my most recent MOT was very expensive and the engine light has just come on so it looks like it is on its last legs).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 13:16 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

"a potato of a car" - :DD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 17:15 
Soopah red DS

I have been driving a while, and as a result my list is:

V reg Ford Focus.
63 reg Ford Fiesta.

Um, that's it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 17:41 
INFINITE POWAH

Oooh, list!

Er,

1987 VW Polo called Arthur. Loved it, drove it to death.
S reg Peugeot 206. Horrible, horrible piece of shit car. Started making horrible noises (suspect was the engine mountings going) and traded it off onto a dealer as soon as I could.
R reg BMW 316i. Slightly underpowered but it was fun to drive. Got totalled by a twat who didn't understand how roundabouts worked (not me).
X reg Puma. Awesome funtimes. Only got rid of it because the clutch died.
02 reg Volvo V40 - it happens to all of us at some point. At some point I'll get rid - probably when we're back from Singapore. Then it's Disco time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 17:42 
UltraMod

MrChris wrote:
Then it's Disco time.

You're going to scour East London for Grim...'s bus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 17:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Lonewolves wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Then it's Disco time.

You're going to scour East London for Grim...'s bus?

Hell yeah. It's got 10k of audio kit in it - that's like the chuffing Sierre Madre, man.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 
Heavy Metal Tough Guy

My hire car whilst mine is in for repair is a white Ford Focus - I look like a right boy racer in it. It's a 1.6 diesel, however, so I'm not quite burning off any Porsches at the light though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:21 
Hello Hello Hello

£49.99 for four litres of oil!

CASTROL EDGE TITANIUM FST or something.

Extra annoyingly I have most of four litres of some super-duper OW40 left from when I had the Type-R (which was also fifty quid for four litres IIRC), but the S4 needs 5W30/5W40 and it has to meet VW504/507 spec.

The engines on the S4 are known to 'use' a bit of oil so they need periodically topping up with half a litre or so.

Fifty quid! For four litres!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:33 
UltraMod

You can use some of that money you don't pay tax with.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Hearthly wrote:
the S4 needs 5W30/5W40 and it has to meet VW504/507 spec.

This should do you:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FUCHS-TITAN-5W ... ag=beex-21

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:45 

Hearthly wrote:

I do an oil change every 3-5,000 miles in the Celica.

4.5 litres of Fuchs 10W50 for £42 (well, it was last time I bought it)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:50 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

I used to do a fluid and bearing change on the Tomcat every time it had been "out". Fortunately the Rover V8 would probably be happy if I used fairly liquid as lubricant so it only cost me around £50 for the whole lot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:51 
Hello Hello Hello

Grim... wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
the S4 needs 5W30/5W40 and it has to meet VW504/507 spec.

This should do you:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FUCHS-TITAN-5W ... ag=beex-21

That appears to be substantially better value, and it meets the spec so it must be fine.

I will get that next time!

Lonewolves wrote:
You can use some of that money you don't pay tax with.

I pay all the tax and NI required by the laws of the land, unless you're suggesting I volunteer to pay more? :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 14:33 
Gogmagog

MaliA wrote:
Changed 3/4 spark plugs at lunchtime. The fourth wasn't changed as the insulation from the HT was left around it,and I didn't have my long pliers to remove it. I will buy new HT lead and dig it out.

Nothng jamming a screwdriver into something doesn't fix. Fourth plug done and new HT lead on and hopefully it is fixed. Otherwise, we're up to coil packs.

I had a brief look at the throttle body arrangement and it seems easy enough to swap, just the cable looks fiddly. I think I'd have been happy as a mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 14:16 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:

CASTROL EDGE TITANIUM FST or something.

Extra annoyingly I have most of four litres of some super-duper OW40 left from when I had the Type-R (which was also fifty quid for four litres IIRC), but the S4 needs 5W30/5W40 and it has to meet VW504/507 spec.

The engines on the S4 are known to 'use' a bit of oil so they need periodically topping up with half a litre or so.

Fifty quid! For four litres!

I want an S4 now, sick of driving ordinary cars. Fancy putting all those chips in you linked to as well

Wife is going to take some convincing, I don't help myself though. I found an S4 estate so went in with the "family car" line.

She commented on the room and how we could get kids in etc, then I blurted out " no way I would have kids messing up those red leather seats" :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 15:00 
Hello Hello Hello

It's early days for me and the S4, and plenty of time for MANY EXPENSIVE THINGS to go wrong with it of course, but I'm honestly prepared to say based on my time in it so far, that it's the best car I've ever owned.

It really is two cars in one, stick it in dynamic mode, set off for some 'spirited driving', and it's an absolute beast of thing, with truly gob-smacking pace and superb cornering ability. I know Cavey doesn't much rate the handling on these cars (and yes they do understeer, but the newer ones with the V6 are nowhere near as bad as the old V8s), but I've been driving the mountain road here for over 16 years, and this car handles it with aplomb - it feels as well planted on the road as the Scooby did.

However, leave it in auto mode, and it's pretty much just a normal everyday practical saloon car. Easy to drive, quiet and comfortable - with a handy burst of acceleration when it's needed. (Comfort mode is a bit too squishy and wallowy IMO, auto gets the job done for everyday driving fine.) I was off last week so did a fair bit of driving around with Mrs Hearthly in the car, she found it comfortable and pleasant, and was pleased with the heated seat :)

The B8 (2009-2015) S4 got a facelift and tech revision in 2012 (not sure on the exact model year but they're easy enough to spot), but even on my earlier 2010 car it's got all the toys and tech I want. In particular I love the dual-SD slots in the head unit, and the factory-fit iPod/USB connectors in the glove compartment, all of which are fully integrated into the MMI system. (I've got 144GB of music on tap via an iPod and two 32GB SD cards.)

I've already put several hundred miles on it, and it looks to be settling down to about 25mpg with a combination of driving styles, so not bad at all for a car packing 333bhp.

If you're seriously starting to look at these asfish just let me know as there are definitely a few options you want to be keeping an eye out for IMO. Specifically the Drive Select was an option on the pre-facelift cars (it's standard from the facelift onwards), I think you definitely want this. Also the MMI wasn't standard, which is pretty scandalous considering how expensive the S4 is even in its base configuration (£37K without any options at all), I think you definitely want this as well.

When it comes to the looks of the car that's subjective of course, personally I really like the fact it just looks mostly like a normal A4, with a few key differences if you know what you're looking for. White is a nice colour but fuck me they pick up the dirt and show it, very quickly.

There seems to be a reasonable number to choose from looking at sites such as Autotrader, so you can afford to be picky in terms of getting the one you want when it comes to colour/options/miles/price etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 16:24 

One thing I just cannot live with on Audis is the shocking MMI user interface, especially that bloody wheel thing on the satnav that takes about 10 minutes to enter a bloody postcode. All the car mags moan about Range Rovers touchscreen satnav but it's about a million times quicker and easier to use, as is the Porsche's which is also touchscreen. It's not a money thing as Mrs C's boggo A3 was similarly hobbled with this.

I honestly couldn't live with it, it's a deal breaker for me.

Dr Lave wrote:
Of course, he's normally wrong but interestingly wrong :p

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 16:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

The satnav destination entry on our Focus is fucking rubbish, too. Why is it so hard for car makers to give you a good interface?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 16:37 
Soopah red DS

It is an odd omission, when my 2002 Tom Tom one has a nice touch screen, all in colour and off you go, yet expensive cars sometimes have monochrome ugly screens (or am I way out of date on that front?) and no keyboard or touch screen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 16:48 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Dedicated sat navs almost away seem to be better for UI than built-in ones. Except for my Clio, which had a built in TomTom - the most sensible thing I've almost never seen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 17:27 

Exactly.
Imagine if, back in 2003 when we were all using little TomToms from Halfords at £99 a pop (instead of having to spec integrated satnavs in cars for £700-£2200), instead of having a sensible touch screen, you had to have some totally fucking pointless wheel thing where the handbrake handle should actually live? We'd all be saying how unfeasible shite it all was and why the chuff can't we have a touchscreen. Because you know, we'd be right to say such a thing, and unless I'm very much mistaken it's still a lot easier to punch in a postcode via a touchscreen than having to use some stupid piss-poor wheel because some hipster designer thinks it looks good (or, more likely especially in Audi's case - you have to *pay* even more to make their system actually usable, i.e. "option" a touch screen).

But of course, say this sort of thing these days and the techies all sneer at you... "touch screen..? Touch screen??? Oh how 2005!". :shrug:

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 17:46 
Excellent Member

Have to say my built in Skoda Sat Nav is really good, you can enter a postcode in via a touch screen really quickly

Also save addresses and then bring them up via voice commands ( bit hit and miss but ok)

It also checks for traffic issues and changes your route etc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 17:52 

My experience of voice recognition systems isn't good.
The new Merc E220D Bluetech estate I hired the other week had an even worse user interface than Audi's (even the car mags say it's pretty crap), and my attempts at salvation via the voice command button on the steering wheel did not end well.

It's a real shame because, actually, underneath this veneer of unfathomable shite, that Merc's a really, really good, if boring car, and it's amazing at what it does, i.e. munching hundreds of miles at a time in cossetting comfort, surprisingly good performance given the 50mpg real world economy and for a *huge* estate barge at that - and it is very nicely screwed together.

Ho hum.

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 17:53 
Excellent Member

Quote:
you're seriously starting to look at these asfish just let me know as there are definitely a few options you want to be keeping an eye out for IMO. Specifically the Drive Select was an option on the pre-facelift cars (it's standard from the facelift onwards), I think you definitely want this. Also the MMI wasn't standard, which is pretty scandalous considering how expensive the S4 is even in its base configuration (£37K without any options at all), I think you definitely want this as well.

Ok thanks will do, not going well at the moment, my wife has spent most of the car trip today listing other things we could buy for 25K. Also accused me of having a mid life crisis :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 17:54 

Mid life crises get a very bad rap - I've never worked this out, really, as I think they're awesome. What's not to like? :)

Dr Lave wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 18:23 
Hello Hello Hello

asfish wrote:
Ok thanks will do, not going well at the moment, my wife has spent most of the car trip today listing other things we could buy for 25K. Also accused me of having a mid life crisis :)

You're doing it wrong man. Buying my S4 took two Facebook messages to Mrs Hearthly :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 18:30 
UltraMod

Hearthly wrote:
asfish wrote:

You're doing it wrong man. Buying my S4 took two Facebook messages to Mrs Hearthly :)

"can I buy an Audi S4?"

"If it means getting rid of that fucking Mercedes then yes"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:08 
Excellent Member

Hearthly wrote:
asfish wrote:

Problem is that I've never shown any interest in cars before. I have 2 Skodas. The estate for mywife I just went and bought it as she told me that's what she wanted.

Then my Octavia I just called the dealer bought it and had them deliver it to work :)

I told her a car related mid life crisis is better than leather trousers and a girlfriend half my age!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 14:09 
Gogmagog

You don't have to wash leather trousers very often.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:06 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've just been flashed and waved at by another Nissan Cube owner.

I'm now part of some kind of club I guess. How exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:07 
UltraMod

TheVision wrote:

Owners of the most boring car in the world club

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:17 
Hibernating Druid

They're not boring at all!

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:20 
Comfortably Dumb

TheVision wrote:

Nissan Doggers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:21 
UltraMod

Zardoz wrote:

The Fiat Panda was doing boxy shit like that 20 years ago

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:22 
Gogmagog

Lonewolves wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

The Fiat Panda was doing boxy shit like that 20 years ago

So was your mum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 16:22 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

Zardoz wrote:

:this: I have to admit, I didn’t like it at first as it does look a little odd… but the more I drive it, the more I like it. It’s different which is fine for me. It’s also comfy, the stereo sounds good and has Bluetooth which I didn’t realise would be so useful.

I’ve seen one with Space Invader decals all around it… I think I’d like to do that to it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 17:56 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Lonewolves wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Owners of the most boring car in the world club

They're no Multipla.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 19:17 
INFINITE POWAH

Multiplas are a work of demented genius. A bit like the car version of a platypus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:11 
Hibernating Druid

TheVision wrote:
I’ve seen one with Space Invader decals all around it… I think I’d like to do that to it.

Do this:

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

I've got to admit, that is hella flush.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:41 
INFINITE POWAH

TheVision wrote:

Spooky - those were the first words that popped into my head when I saw that car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MrChris wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Spooky - those were the first words that popped into my head when I saw that car.

This must be a sign... What are you up to this weekend MrChris? Fancy coming over to make my car hella flush?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 
Unpossible!

Zardoz wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Do this:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:56 
Unpossible!

That tilt shifted picture makes it look like a toy shot at a low angle though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 
Gogmagog

DavPaz wrote:

oh, memories

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:03 
SupaMod
"Praisebot"

MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

oh, memories

I either missed that or forgot about it completely... Either way, brilliant!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 
INFINITE POWAH

TheVision wrote:
MaliA wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

oh, memories

I either missed that or forgot about it completely... Either way, brilliant!

ditto.
I love Mali.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 
UltraMod

Back when he was funny and not just an apologist for has-been spin doctors.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:13 
Master of dodgy spelling....

Lonewolves wrote:
Back when he was funny and not just an apologist for has-been spin doctors.

Yeah
One, two, princes kneel before you
That's what I said, now
Princes, Princes who adore you
Just go ahead, now
One has diamonds in his pockets
That's some bread, now
This one, said he wants to buy you rockets
Ain't in his head, now
Aah, dee, dee, dee, dee
This one, got a princely racket
That's what I said, now
Got some big seal upon his jacket
Ain't in his head, now
You marry him, your father will condone you
How 'bout that, now
You marry me, your father will disown you
He'll eat his hat, now
Marry him or marry me
I'm the one that loves you baby can't you see?
I ain't got no future or a family tree
But I know what a prince and lover ought to be
I know what a prince and lover ought to be
Said, if you want to call me baby
Just go ahead, now
And if…

Reply to topic  [ 30628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 439, 440, 441, 442, 443, 444, 445 ... 613  Next