Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: It's too grim up North
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 
making out to faces of death

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

Apparently they're wrong about Liverpool, which is exploding in renaissance as we speak, but I dunno. They might have a point about Bradford. Leeds is mentioned as a "rich" city, but it's not a great place, and I never got any sense of progress or culture from it. I don't much like it at all, so it's hard for me to see it help Bradford along.

It's a shame in a way, because the centre of Bradford has some nice architecture, though maybe the hills annoy shoppers too much. Or the one way system, or the way you have to drive from shop to shop because they seem to have built retail parks in the city centre.

When I went to Manchester for Pride last year, I got the sense of a place that was a real "city" in the way I imagine it. Leeds seems more like a few roads round a mile square with the usual high street shops and not much else. I sometimes think that having the Playhouse all those years made the council put its feet up and decide there's plenty of that there culture in Leeds, 'appen. But, aside from grass roots music venues (I heard the Cockpit may be closing though) Leeds seems to be neatly annexed by Sheffield and Manchester for any larger music events or gigs.

Bradford has a museum of Film and Television, and a big IMAX thing, but I couldn't imagine anyone ever going for a night out in the city. I expect everyone gets the bus or a taxi to Leeds, where a night out is lager and a knifing in the alleys.

I know Mimi lives in a drugs war zone in That London, but the sheer size of that city must help if you have an urge to travel into the centre and indulge in some museums, theatre, eating places and all those things people apparently like to do on evenings.

Oxford should be nice, though. The lowest ratio of patients per GP in the country last I checked, so you'd probably never have to wait for an appointment.

Post subject: Re: It's too grim up North
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:45 
Gogmagog

AceAceBaby wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7556937.stm

Apparently they're wrong about Liverpool, which is exploding in renaissance as we speak, but I dunno. They might have a point about Bradford. Leeds is mentioned as a "rich" city, but it's not a great place, and I never got any sense of progress or culture from it. I don't much like it at all, so it's hard for me to see it help Bradford along.

It's a shame in a way, because the centre of Bradford has some nice architecture, though maybe the hills annoy shoppers too much. Or the one way system, or the way you have to drive from shop to shop because they seem to have built retail parks in the city centre.

When I went to Manchester for Pride last year, I got the sense of a place that was a real "city" in the way I imagine it. Leeds seems more like a few roads round a mile square with the usual high street shops and not much else. I sometimes think that having the Playhouse all those years made the council put its feet up and decide there's plenty of that there culture in Leeds, 'appen. But, aside from grass roots music venues (I heard the Cockpit may be closing though) Leeds seems to be neatly annexed by Sheffield and Manchester for any larger music events or gigs.

Bradford has a museum of Film and Television, and a big IMAX thing, but I couldn't imagine anyone ever going for a night out in the city. I expect everyone gets the bus or a taxi to Leeds, where a night out is lager and a knifing in the alleys.

I know Mimi lives in a drugs war zone in That London, but the sheer size of that city must help if you have an urge to travel into the centre and indulge in some museums, theatre, eating places and all those things people apparently like to do on evenings.

Oxford should be nice, though. The lowest ratio of patients per GP in the country last I checked, so you'd probably never have to wait for an appointment.

Ocford is very small, and bits of it are crap. The middle bit is OK, but it is as expensive as London to live in.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:47 
Comfortably Dumb

Surely the South doesn't need more people?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 

Quote:
Policy Exchange is one of the most influential right-of-centre think tanks and it has been credited with much of the fresh thinking behind the revival of the Conservative Party under David Cameron.

What a depressing article. The massive bunch of Tory bastards who are undoubtedly our next government are really going to massively fuck things up, far worse than they already are.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:54 
Chinny chin chin

markg wrote:
Quote:
Policy Exchange is one of the most influential right-of-centre think tanks and it has been credited with much of the fresh thinking behind the revival of the Conservative Party under David Cameron.

What a depressing article. The massive bunch of Tory bastards who are undoubtedly our next government are really going to massively fuck things up, far worse than they already are.

I thought the Torys have already disassociated themselves from that report? I believe this group are just the right wing version of the loony left think tanks that Labour use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:55 

Quote:
A mass migration to London, Cambridge and Oxford would stop them becoming "trapped" in poorer areas, it said.

Um.

Have they worked out where we're going to PUT these 3 million people in London?

Or how someone up north is going to cope with £850 studio flat rents?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 
Gogmagog

people up north live in caves and eat roadkill from the demon possessed horseless carriages.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 
Excellent Member

I love Manchester. I love any city that has the nads to get the IRA in to redecorate.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:20 

Dudley wrote:
Quote:
A mass migration to London, Cambridge and Oxford would stop them becoming "trapped" in poorer areas, it said.

Um.

Have they worked out where we're going to PUT these 3 million people in London?

Or how someone up north is going to cope with £850 studio flat rents?

The chap on Radio 4 this morning suggested expanding "London" one mile out in all directions would acheive the space, except for planning problems. It probably works as a pure numbers game, but people aren't numbers.

My cousin was sharing a flat in Leeds that was £900pcm, between three of them, admittedly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:26 
UltraMod

What? I expect the Home Counties might have a thing to say about that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:27 
INFINITE POWAH

myoptika wrote:

Fuck 'em, and the quad bikes their kids rode in on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:28 
Excellent Member

Basically that is a report written by people who don't see other human beings as, well human beings. They see them as "resources". Speaking as someone who grew up in an East Lancs town that is really struggling, what it doesn't need is people to leave. And that is ignoring the fact that they can't migrate. Their houses are generally worth less than 50k and are in low-income jobs. The area has lost Lucas, Michelin, Smith and Nephew and just about managed to hold on to Silentnight and Rolls-Royce*.

The place fucking rioted several years ago and everyone blamed racism. No-one took any notice of the real reason - economic deprivation.

*It is always a source of pride that the 'B' in RB-211 jet engines is the name of the town where I spent many of my childhood years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:30 

Doesn't it all rather ignore the fact that people are free to live wherever they like anyway. Why the fuck would everyone want to live in London? This just seems like a bunch of ignorant little Etonian twats who think that the world begins and ends with London and the South. In other words and for the most part, the Tory party. Fuck them all to hell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 

myoptika wrote:

me wrote:
It probably works as a pure numbers game, but people aren't numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 
Where are you?

AceAceBaby wrote:
The chap on Radio 4 this morning suggested expanding "London" one mile out in all directions would acheive the space, except for planning problems.

Well, yeah, what with London being surrounded by towns already. The only thing I can think of is some serious building between Reading and Oxford, which is largely farmland.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 
INFINITE POWAH

Plissken wrote:
It is always a source of pride that the 'B' in RB-211 jet engines is the name of the town where I spent many of my childhood years.

That'd be the engine that bankrupted the company then? :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:39 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Up north is ace. I love being able to travel for not very long at all, and find myself right in the countryside with nobody else around for miles.

I like to visit London, but I don't think I'd want to live there. I really hate how busy it is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:40 
INFINITE POWAH

As long as any mass migation is to London and the South East rather than the South West and the West Country that's fine by me. We're fine as we are over here, thanks. :)

Mind you, I appreciate no-one would probably want to bother, as it's all just moobeasties, zoider and turnips :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 
EvilTrousers

MaliA wrote:
people up north live in caves and eat roadkill from the demon possessed horseless carriages.

My in-laws live in a place called "North Cave" just down the road so you're more right than you thought.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:46 
Gogmagog

Trousers wrote:
MaliA wrote:

My in-laws live in a place called "North Cave" just down the road so you're more right than you thought.

Mrs A's from Buxton.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 
UltraMod

Buxton isn't the north.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 
That Rev Chap

Living in Kent, I think of Cambridge as being dangerously Northern.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:59 
Gogmagog

myoptika wrote:
Buxton isn't the north.

it's north enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:00 
Excellent Member

Mr Chris wrote:
Plissken wrote:
It is always a source of pride that the 'B' in RB-211 jet engines is the name of the town where I spent many of my childhood years.

That'd be the engine that bankrupted the company then? :)

Hey, when it got out of the door, it was a success!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

A day in Nottingham was enough of the wild, untamed North for me, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:04 
Excellent Member

I live in Manchester, and unless someone offered me a job paying £40k+ I wouldnt move to London.

I think Manchester is a "real city" and agree with the Leeds comments. I'm not fussed on Leeds at all really. People say Manchester is hard to drive around, well, I haven't ever been to Leeds and NOT got lost. Its incomprehensibly shite, IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:06 

nynfortoo wrote:
Wales is ace. I love being able to travel for not very long at all, and find myself right in the countryside with nobody else around but sheep for hundreds miles.
My-tuppance-FTFY.

The Rev Owen wrote:
Oxford graduate, I think of Cambridge as being dangerous
FTFY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 

AceAceBaby wrote:

My cousin was sharing a flat in Leeds that was £900pcm, between three of them, admittedly.

I'm in a 3 bedroom flat with the kitchen converted to a 4th and the kitchen now sharing the lounge.

£2080 a month.

Quote:
*It is always a source of pride that the 'B' in RB-211 jet engines is the name of the town where I spent many of my childhood years.

Hey, I grew up near Aston Clinton, which gave the world something SO much cooler... :)

Quote:
I live in Manchester, and unless someone offered me a job paying £40k+ I wouldnt move to London.

Does that include the fact that £40k isn't as much in London? :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:18 

Dudley wrote:
I'm in a 3 bedroom flat with the kitchen converted to a 4th and the kitchen now sharing the lounge.

£2080 a month.

Hmm, move down south. It's great!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 

nynfortoo wrote:
Up north is ace. I love being able to travel for not very long at all, and find myself right in the countryside with nobody else around for miles.

I like to visit London, but I don't think I'd want to live there. I really hate how busy it is.

:this:
LaceSensor wrote:

I think Manchester is a "real city" and agree with the Leeds comments. I'm not fussed on Leeds at all really. People say Manchester is hard to drive around, well, I haven't ever been to Leeds and NOT got lost. Its incomprehensibly shite, IMHO.

...and :this:

...and Bradford>>>>>>>>Leeds. Bradford is ace!

...and that report can fuck off and die. "Move all the povs down to London, so they can fulfil their pre-destined life of servitude for rich, right wing cunts like us. No use to us up North where they can live a more simple and happy life. We'll just convince them they'll all become rich yuppies in the city."

Regeneration doesn't work because counsellors keep fucking it up and aiming it at the yuppies. "GREAT, a shit load more 3/4 million pound, city centre apartments in Leeds! Fantastic, that's just what the residents of the Middleton/Morley/Bramley/Holt Park etc need, especially when libraries/post offices/local sport centres/swimming pools etc are getting closed in droves... and the public transport is utterly shite so it's incredibly difficult and expensive to get to all the nice stuff in the city centre. Cheers."

That report has made me angry, and regardless of whether the Tories are associating with it or not, those people are their advisers, so when* they get in power in a couple years time, this is the direction things are going to head. Then living in the North will be a barrel of laffs, can't wait!

*not if

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 
UltraMod

richardgaywood wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire are ace. I love being able to travel for not very long at all, and find myself right in the countryside with nobody else around but sheep for hundreds miles.
My-tuppance-FTFY.

Pretty-much-anywhere-but-London-feex.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
I'd rather live in Cumbria than London. It's probably simply due to that being where I grew up; I like fields and mountains and radiation and that. I'm more likely to get horribly stabbed in the town I grew up in than London, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:45 

Oh gosh, don't get me started on public transport up here.

I think I'd move to Manchester if I don't move down south somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:46 
Sleepyhead

myoptika wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
London is ace. I love being able to walk for one minute, and find myself in the middle of massive green public spaces where you can sit, eat, drink, play or just wander around.
My-tuppance-FTFY.

Lovely Greenwich FTFY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:48 
INFINITE POWAH

Curiosity wrote:
myoptika wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
London is ace. I love being able to walk for one minute, and find myself in the middle of massively deprived areas sitting cheek by jowel with the overpriced, painfully trendy areas, where you can get mugged, raped, beaten up or just scowled at by the friendly residents.
My-tuppance-FTFY.

Lovely Greenwich FTFY

The Real London FTFY.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Oh gosh, don't get me started on public transport up here.

I think I'd move to Manchester if I don't move down south somewhere.

Precisely what I did 6 weeks ago and I'm realising what a brilliant decision it was more everyday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 

Curiosity wrote:
massive green public spaces
The Brecon Beacons are 519 square miles. We have different defintions of "massive".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 

richardgaywood wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
The Brecon Beacons are 519 square miles. We have different defintions of "massive".

I've a friend from Brecon who grew up on a farm, with virtually nobody else for miles. He never shuts up about how wonderful it is. If I could work out & wangle some kind of freelance, work from home via the internet type existence, I'd move to deepest, darkest Wales in a heart beat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that, too.

According to Wikipaedia the largest park in London is Hyde Park at 2.5 sq kilometres. Which is smaller than the size of Grim...'s garden.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Mr Chris wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

According to Wikipaedia the largest park in London is Hyde Park at 2.5 sq kilometres. Which is smaller than the size of Grim...'s garden.

Indeed. It's akin to saying a bird has plenty of room to fly in its cage.

The parks in London are quite nice, but they're only parks. You can reach the sides in a few minutes. You can walk for a day in the countryside and still be almost no closer to civilisation — ace.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:07 

North Yorkshire Moors FTW! My absolute favourite part of this whole pokey little island.

Bleak = Beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:08 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

You can be in Epping Forest in 20 minutes, mind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:11 

pupil wrote:
I've a friend from Brecon who grew up on a farm, with virtually nobody else for miles. He never shuts up about how wonderful it is. If I could work out & wangle some kind of freelance, work from home via the internet type existence, I'd move to deepest, darkest Wales in a heart beat.
I spent a lot of time throughout my teen years -- like, most of my weekends and weeks on end during the holidays -- here at a friend's family's farm.. It's not far from the town where I lived but it was very rural there. Spent a lot of time mucking about with air guns, motorbikes, an old Mini, and building a tree house out of 30-odd kg steel lintels we scrounged from somewhere (we had to use a block and tackle to get them into the trees). Looking back, it was exceedingly ace.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:11 
Future War Cultist

Location: Nottingham. Again. No, wait, I'm back in Manchester.
Craster wrote:

Attachment:
005eppingforest29102005.jpg

Do tell me how.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:13 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:

20 minutes? If you're travelling at 2am, perhaps.

It used to take us an hour to get from Beckenham to, say, Chartwell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:56 
Sleepyhead

Mr Chris wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I grew up in a small village in the middle of nowhere, on the border of Staffordshire and Shropshire. Nothing but green for miles around. Rolling fields, animals, the works.

Odd thing, there was nowhere you could actually go in to for miles around, bar the small school playing fields. Sure, you could walk through some fields, but they'd be full of cows, and not exactly suitable for, say, having a picnic or playing a game of footy.

Where I am, in London, next to both Greenwich Park and Blackheath, I find it amusingly ironic that I have a freedom with regards to grassy expanses that I never had, despite previously living in the countryside.

So, whilst the countryside is better for:

1) Utter solitude
2) Animals
3) Rambling

Big parks/commons (which are bigger) are more fun (in my opinion).

Plus I get the bonus of all the history, plus tons of cool pubs, bars, cinemas, restaurants, shops, markets, architecture (and jobs) too.

:)

Apologies for being a London apologist... but I do so very love where I live.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 16:42 
Honey Boo Boo

Bradford isn't that bad. Granted there were a few more chavs about than some places but it was fine otherwise. Instead of getting millions to move to fucking London they should encourage more businesses to move north (which is what, 2 hours by train? That is fuck all... many London workers commute longer than that) so all the decent jobs arent all centred in the southeast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 16:56 

MetalAngel wrote:
Instead of getting millions to move to fucking London they should encourage more businesses to move north (which is what, 2 hours by train? That is fuck all... many London workers commute longer than that) so all the decent jobs arent all centred in the southeast.
That was in the original article. The report apparantly calls for land currently earmarked for industrial use be turned over to residential instead. This eases price pressure on housing in the south east, and puts industrial land pricing up, which encourages firms to relocate to other parts of the country such as the north.

I am usually wary of such common-sense sounding economics advise though as it usually turns out to be horribly flawed in some subtle manner. In this case, for example, I suspect that forcing industrial land pricing upwards would probably just force a bunch of firms to relocate overseas, rather than making them move northwards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 17:49 
Comfortably Dumb

Dudley wrote:

Hey, I grew up near Aston Clinton, which gave the world something SO much cooler... :)

Clinton Cards?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 18:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

markg wrote:
Doesn't it all rather ignore the fact that people are free to live wherever they like anyway. Why the fuck would everyone want to live in London? This just seems like a bunch of ignorant little Etonian twats who think that the world begins and ends with London and the South. In other words and for the most part, the Tory party. Fuck them all to hell.

This. What this country needs is not more fucking people in London. It needs more of what's in London to be distributed about the place. Every other sane country in the world has several cities of great significance dotted about. Here it's just everything automatically defaulting to fucking London, and they expect everyone to follow because it's simply so wonderful and everywhere else is so horrid, don't you know.

America manages with cities that are thousands of miles apart. Businesses more than cope with it - they thrive.

I'd live in Manchester if I could. It was lovely when I went, and some of my favourite people came from there or around there.

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next