And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: People in shops with no respect
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:05 
Gogmagog

Klatrymadon wrote:
Quote:
Maybe it's a getting older thing but there's something about a child in a Policeman's hat referring to me as "mate" that doesn't sit right.

Just out of habit, I occasionally say 'mate' to strangers clearly pushing 70. I always feel a bit silly as I realize it, but they're usually just chuffed to find that someone not of their generation is capable of being nice.

Speaking of which, I chuckled to myself yesterday afternoon when I was watching the Community Shield at chavpub. There was some brat of about 7 or 8 years old in there, batting a balloon around, and he repeatedly bounced it off the head of Cliff, the pensioner. Cliff, (ex marine, notoriously bad tempered, I quite like him and get on quite well as I don't give him shit, and generally treat him like any other bloke there) gets pissed off with this, and next time the balloon hits him on the head, he grabs it, shouts 'Watch this, Bucko' at the brat, and pops it with his fingernail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:08 
Paws for thought

The Rev Owen wrote:
I don't think I've talked to policeman since 1993 or thereabouts.

No, wait, it was a couple of years back when they came looking for someone who'd given my address as their address and they were trying to track him down. I don't remember what they called me.

I certainly don't talk to police officers very often.

I've spoken to police three times in recent years. First time after I was mugged and the second to verify I was me so that they could remove me from missing persons and most recently all the police searching for terrorism near us. Unsurprisingly, in all cases they were trying to be as nice as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:09 
SavyGamer

I don't mind being referred to by name. It catches me off gaurd sometimes if and when it happens, although thinking about it I often get sir and/or "Mr Procter" since I grew a classy beard.

Love certainly doesn't bother me, but I do think it is silly. You don't even know me...

Dudley wrote:
MaliA wrote:
LewieP wrote:
See people in a group of two who are in a crowded subway and sit on the remaining table for four, leaving me to have to sit at the other end of the place to my parents.

So they should stand, or something?

*boggle*

I must say, I am quite surrprised by the level of hate in this thread from some.

I believe the implication is that there are plenty of 2 person tables left.

Yeah that's exactly what I meant, sorry I wasn't clearer. They choose to sit on the only free 4 person table so they can have extra room, instead of sitting on one of the free 2 person tables, in full knowledge that it means the group of 3 in the queue behind them won't be able to sit together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:10 
I forgot about this - how vain

When I pulled a batman and caught a pickpocket, the ride and interview with the policeman was made much less stressful by him being rather informal.

It must be tough being a policeman and choosing the right attitude for the right situation.

Faith schools, scientologists and 2-D platform games.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I tried to talk to a policeman on 4 separate occasions to give a statement after being witness to an assault and criminal damage. On every occasion the policeman in question had fucked off somewhere when I went to the appointment.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 
August Member

Tmuk wrote:
Craster wrote:
It's not the time taken, it's the people that somehow seem taken aback by the fact that they have to pay for the goods, and fumble around in shocked surprise.

I think I cheered when I first started seeing those signs saying places weren't taking cheques anymore.

Yes, I agree 100%. See also people at cash points/ ticket barriers. Sorry, when I say people, I should really say women.

My girlfriend is very scathing (and vocal) about women who do this. She’ll regularly give the loudest sigh ever heard and say "of for fuck’s sake" at a particularly loud level.

Unfortunately she general chooses to do it to women who have the BIGGEST BOYFRIENDS IN THE WORLD without apparently considering that if he gets the hump and feels like smacking someone in the mouth, it’ll be me that’s going down like a sack of spuds.

She also doesn’t quite get that an upper class English accent can wind up a particularly unreconstructed kind of Scot..

Love eh?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 
Son of a Reaperman

On both occasions the police have spoken to me recently (flat got burgled, then me and a mate got caught having a crafty smoke in the park), I've found it impossible to take seriously and have joked around with them to the point where they probably start thinking I've got something to hide.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 

Lave wrote:
It must be tough being a policeman and choosing the right attitude for the right situation.

Agreed, but really how hard is it for them to just say "put the gun down, sir"? Y'know, I might even have let them live.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:26 
making out to faces of death

LewieP wrote:
Love certainly doesn't bother me, but I do think it is silly. You don't even know me...

It's just a colloquial term up here in the provinces. It doesn't mean anything, much like the word, "Hello" is a meaningless pair of syllables. Love, chuck, pet, hinny, duck, they're just words people use who are trying to be nice without getting into any Mr/Mrs/Sir/Madam/Mate controversies. And because it's traditional, like.

There's nowt so queer as folk.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:32 

The habit some blokes in Yorkshire have of using "love" even when talking to other blokes kind of freaked me out when I first heard it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 

Don't you remember Pat Roach, as Bomber in Aufweidersehen Pet, calling everyone (including Jimmy Nail) "Alright my lovers?" He weren't from Yorksher like.

Maybe I'm showing my age too much. Cor, erm, Steps, eh? They're groovy!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:35 

Yeah 'Love' and 'Duck' finish about 80% of sentences where I grew up. It never occurred to me that people might find it rude.

In fact I would probably find there absence worrying, and wonder if I had offended them. They're a lot more friendly and warm than stilted phrases like "have a nice day."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 
Honey Boo Boo

Remember Mr Logic goes to the up, and (being Mr Logic) mistakes the busty barmaid's '£2 for your pint, lover' for a proposition?

"Would you care to indulge in sexual intercourse with me? I have a moderately large penis."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:38 
Son of a Reaperman

markg wrote:
The habit some blokes in Yorkshire have of using "love" even when talking to other blokes kind of freaked me out when I first heard it.

My (male) Leeds mates have a habit of putting kisses in text messages to blokes as well. I thought us Southerners were supposed to be the soft ones?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:40 

Sinister Minister wrote:
Tmuk wrote:
Craster wrote:
It's not the time taken, it's the people that somehow seem taken aback by the fact that they have to pay for the goods, and fumble around in shocked surprise.

I think I cheered when I first started seeing those signs saying places weren't taking cheques anymore.

Yes, I agree 100%. See also people at cash points/ ticket barriers. Sorry, when I say people, I should really say women.

My girlfriend is very scathing (and vocal) about women who do this. She’ll regularly give the loudest sigh ever heard and say "of for fuck’s sake" at a particularly loud level.

Unfortunately she general chooses to do it to women who have the BIGGEST BOYFRIENDS IN THE WORLD without apparently considering that if he gets the hump and feels like smacking someone in the mouth, it’ll be me that’s going down like a sack of spuds.

She also doesn’t quite get that an upper class English accent can wind up a particularly unreconstructed kind of Scot..

Love eh?

God yes.

I always complain that my girlfriend will

1) Buy ticket.
2) Put ticket in purse
3) Put Purse in hand bag
4) Close bag
5) Walk ten meters
6) Open bag
7) Open Purse
8) Get ticket
9) Go through barrier
and so on.

ARGH!

That and if she see's people misbehaving she will always chastise them ("as they won't hurt a woman") despite myself, and numerous female friends explaining to her that all they will all walk over and beat the shit out of me instead.

Tsck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:45 
Excellent Member

AceAceBaby wrote:
It's just a colloquial term up here in the provinces. It doesn't mean anything, much like the word, "Hello" is a meaningless pair of syllables. Love, chuck, pet, hinny, duck, they're just words people use who are trying to be nice without getting into any Mr/Mrs/Sir/Madam/Mate controversies. And because it's traditional, like.

Which, ordinarily love, is fine love. The problem, love, comes when every single pause for breath, love, or sentence is ended with love, love. Then love, it becomes INCREDIBLY ANNOYING LOVE.

That will be £3.50. Love.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:02 

Mr Chris wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:
when you have to serve over a hundred, that time adds up, and leaves you sighing inwardly a heck of a lot.

What does it matter to the cashier? Do you have quotas, or something? You're there at the checkout regardless of how long each customer takes.

You laugh but at Tesco they do yell at you if your items per hour falls too far.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:10 
UltraMod

Plissken wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:

Which, ordinarily love, is fine love. The problem, love, comes when every single pause for breath, love, or sentence is ended with love, love. Then love, it becomes INCREDIBLY ANNOYING LOVE.

That will be £3.50. Love.

Has anyone else suddenly started thinking the word 'love' looks really strange?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:12 

Looks fine to me, love. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:38 
Song Wars 08/09 Champion

Dudley wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:
when you have to serve over a hundred, that time adds up, and leaves you sighing inwardly a heck of a lot.

What does it matter to the cashier? Do you have quotas, or something? You're there at the checkout regardless of how long each customer takes.

You laugh but at Tesco they do yell at you if your items per hour falls too far.

They do (did) at Sainsbury's too.

Also if you're waiting to go home/on a break and the customer takes aaaages it does get a teeeensy bit annoying. Remember the checkout people aren't drones, but have one of the most boring repetitive jobs going. Speaking from experience.

I was always getting told off for not "talking to customers"...one example they gave me was if an old lady came through with cat food to say "Oh, you have a cat, what type, what's his name?". They didn't seem to care that I'd feel very uncomfortable feigning interest, she'd know I was feigning interest, and something the fellow "Operators" will be all to aware of...the one that won't stop talking even though she's finished, and the next people are waiting to come through the till. Hnnnngh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 14:56 

Tmuk wrote:
My (male) Leeds mates have a habit of putting kisses in text messages to blokes as well. I thought us Southerners were supposed to be the soft ones?

Obviously, tykes, and loiners in particular, are so manly, that everyone who isn't them, must obviously be a girl. But no tongues, they're "not poofs or owt."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 19:37 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Sheepeh wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:

They do (did) at Sainsbury's too.

Also if you're waiting to go home/on a break and the customer takes aaaages it does get a teeeensy bit annoying. Remember the checkout people aren't drones, but have one of the most boring repetitive jobs going. Speaking from experience.

I was always getting told off for not "talking to customers"...one example they gave me was if an old lady came through with cat food to say "Oh, you have a cat, what type, what's his name?". They didn't seem to care that I'd feel very uncomfortable feigning interest, she'd know I was feigning interest, and something the fellow "Operators" will be all to aware of...the one that won't stop talking even though she's finished, and the next people are waiting to come through the till. Hnnnngh.

Yeah, I had a manager in Canterbury who had awful, awful people skills and no grasp of the concept "leaving people alone for five minutes". He'd often come down and try to moan at me or someone else for not badgering someone, then go and badger them himself. They'd invariably tell him quite snappily that they were just browsing, because his horribly insincere smarm was revolting. Not that all approaches are like that, of course, but he exemplified a pretty clueless attitude of insincere manipulation that a lot of managers and companies try to encourage, and most normal humans easily detect and actively despise.

I've never liked being approached in shops, so only ever did it to people when they appeared to want to be approached or looked a bit lost - it's very easy to tell if you're at all good at reading people. If you're not, all you need to do is be visible, nearby, and make it gently clear with your expression and body language that you'll help if needed. Most people, even the shy people will get your attention when they need it that way. I know if I'm looking for something, I prefer to stubbornly search the entire shop while realising I look more like a mental the more I backtrack.

I also really hate, hate, hate feigned interest. It can be spotted a mile off, is rude and patronising, and generally makes me feel loathsome whichever end I'm on. Polite, meaningless chatter is different, though - the weather or the buses or the sheer size of the bell tower are all fine if you mean it and are just being gently friendly. But there's a difference between that and pretending to give a shit, and more still between those and actually giving a shit.

Waiting for people who take ages to get their money or whatever out is annoying when they just stood there doing nothing while you were wrapping their present/stamping their books. It's also generally annoying to have to stand there doing nothing - you're paid for the time, but I'd rather be paid to do something during that time. If you like the job, it means you get more stuff done, and if you hate the job, it means the time goes quicker so you can get home 'sooner'. Plus they stretch the queues out.

Tourists are the best, though. I do kind of miss hearing some of their stories. Old people in libraries can be pretty ace, too, if pretty sad sometimes. One regular in her eighties had been coming to that same library for her entire life, but for the last few years she'd all but lost her sight and had nothing but talking books left, and most of them were trashy patronising "pensioner demographic" stuff that really weren't her thing at all. On the other end of that scale, there was the probably equally old blind woman who used to seek out the young male members of staff and ask them to read out the synopses of the talking books for her. She liked the 'scandalous' ones above all, and I'm sure half the fun to her was listening to me read them out in a suitably melodramatic manner. Then there are kids like the little girl who followed you round trying to be helpful by shoving books from the returns trolley into random shelves, and when you were clearly having a bad day would run up and give you a hug....

... Er, so anyway, people, eh? The shits. I hate them all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 19:48 
Chinny chin chin

Tmuk wrote:
markg wrote:

Duncan Bannatyne signs autographs with kisses. Chinnytrufax!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 13:35 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

When I helped to restrain a crazy stabby-stab nutcase on the Tube the policeman gave me (and another chap) a rehearsed speech about how I shouldn't put myself in danger and how I should concentrate on getting myself safe if the situation arises again.
While he was saying all that he wrote "Thanks, mate" on his notepad in big letters and held it facing me for the remainder of the speech :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 13:37 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

Grim... wrote:
When I helped to restrain a crazy stabby-stab nutcase on the Tube the policeman gave me (and another chap) a rehearsed speech about how I shouldn't put myself in danger and how I should concentrate on getting myself safe if the situation arises again.
While he was saying all that he wrote "Thanks, mate" on his notepad in big letters and held it facing me for the remainder of the speech :)

That's both slightly pathetic and utterly ace.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 17:50 
Peculiar, yet lovely

nynfortoo wrote:
Grim... wrote:

That's both slightly pathetic and utterly ace.

Ah, it's not so pathetic. It's common in any job really to some extent - the police equivalent of a knowing "I couldn't possibly comment" from an employee responding to a complaint about their boss.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 17:54 

sinister agent wrote:
Ah, it's not so pathetic. It's common in any job really to some extent - the police equivalent of a knowing "I couldn't possibly comment" from an employee responding to a complaint about their boss.

I guess, but it's slightly pathetic that the police officer was obligated to tell Grim... he shouldn't have intervened. The writing on the pad was ace.

Was the victim okay? I know you've told this story before, but I can't remember the outcome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:25 
Honey Boo Boo

Sheepeh wrote:

Both my mother and I regularly suffer "Are you AMERICAN? Oh, Canadian then. Same thing, really. Why are you HERE? My cousin/nephew/sister went to Canada recently."

Really? That's lovely. What if I was from, say, Preston?

"Are you from YORKSHIRE? Oh, Preston, then. Why are you HERE? My cousin/nephew/sister went to Preston recently. On the M6. He was driving up to Barrow-in-Furness."

I don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 16:43 
Peculiar, yet lovely

"Oh, you're from the very depths of the underworld? What are you doing HERE?"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 16:44 

sinister agent wrote:

Welsh people say all of that just by looking at you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 17:03 
Peculiar, yet lovely

nynfortoo wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Except without the vowels, obv.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 17:10 
Excellent Member

AceAceBaby wrote:
Manners cost nothing!

A resounding this, though I'm not good at being polite to people who are rude to me first. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 18:24 
Honey Boo Boo

sinister agent wrote:
nynfortoo wrote:
sinister agent wrote:

Except without the vowels, obv.

Get out of my valley.

Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3