Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2873 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next
 Post subject: Football
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 15:05 
Excellent Member

Woo! The Guardian tip us as good outside bets for promtion to the Premier League, there is a feeling of optimism around Turf Moor and... 1-0 down in the first minute.

This is what being a Claret is about.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

Post subject: Re: Football
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 15:08 
Excellent Member

Six minutes in

Sheffield Wednesday 2 Burnley 1

Post subject: Re: Football
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 15:18 
Excellent Member

Slowed down a bit. They've scored another, but it took 18 minutes.

Sheffield Wednesday 3 Burnley 1.

Post subject: Re: Football 2008/09 season
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 20:15 
Excellent Member

In other news. In the World of Football, if you go behind your employers back to get a move away from the club, and then you, your potential new club and your agent persistently unsettle your existing club and try to force them into selling you, your new club pulls in a few influential friends to call you a "slave" then you mysteriously pick up an injury which prevents you playing for your new club on their pre-season tour, then when it is clear that you won't be leaving for said new club because you are bound by a contract you signed a year ago.

What happens?

You get a new contract.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 23:59 
Chinny chin chin

Aldershot win on their first game back in the league and there's already virtually no chance of them being relegated.

Meanwhile, Wrexham favorites to win the Conference?

AFC Wimbledon also off to a flying start in the Conference South.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 0:22 
Time Out for Fun

I watched 2 and half games this weekend and got to see one measly goal. booo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:13 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
Woo! The Guardian tip us as good outside bets for promtion to the Premier League, there is a feeling of optimism around Turf Moor and... 1-0 down in the first minute.

Bobbyaro is a Burnley fan too. Two of them on one forum! Whatever next?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 
Gogmagog

I support Wednesday and am pleased with this auspicious start to the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:55 
Participant in dramatic games

went to zwolle-mvv in the dutch first division (2nd in the pyramid), 0-0, but i needed football, ugly new stadium..

in myfc news, we played 2-2 against mansfield, who came down; apparently we voted the manager to pick the team, this should become fahsionable, as i want that for my membership

ajax starts in 3 weeks.., but 5 to go the first home game,very late..

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 23:10 

Oh I'm feeling rather confident about this season suddenly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 20:03 
Rude Belittler

Curiosity wrote:
Plissken wrote:

Bobbyaro is a Burnley fan too. Two of them on one forum! Whatever next?

Two of them in the same stadium?

Nah. never going to happen.

Mighty Villa kicked some arse this weekend, and I was glad to see Stoke getting tonked.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 20:33 

Does this mean we have 3 Villa fans on the forum then?
Any more want to own up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:17 
Sleepyhead

I love hoe Gabby was rubbish for about 82 minutes of our game, but still got a hat trick.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:05 
Time Out for Fun

Great weekend of football, I watched 5 and a half games through internet streaming magic.
also newcastle didnt get thrashed and played well, like a team, with team players, it was strange.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:08 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
Great weekend of football, I watched 5 and a half games through internet streaming magic.
also newcastle didnt get thrashed and played well, like a team, with team players, it was strange.

I like that keegan has brought back the tradition of players with big hair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:41 
Sleepyhead

After another woeful England performance, will Fabio Capello realise that the best fit wide player in the entire league might be worth a spot in his squad?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:46 
Gogmagog

Curiosity wrote:
After another woeful England performance, will Fabio Capello realise that the best fit wide player in the entire league might be worth a spot in his squad?

I didn;t evenbother watching it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 
Sleepyhead

MaliA wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

I didn;t evenbother watching it.

Just read a letter that amused me in the F365 mailbox, along the lines of:

"I think the last time I saw a good English performance at Wembley was when Muse played last year..."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:42 
Time Out for Fun

Curiosity wrote:

joe cole was playing heh. who do you mean though ashley young i hope.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:44 
Time Out for Fun

anyone got any predictions for this weekend?

Im pretty much certain newcastle are going to win against bolton, great new signings and a good buzz for the new season, and theres a free pint to any fan that goes to the ground before 2.10pm so the crowd should be up for it.

Im hoping man u get beat though, and they could possibly but in honesty having tevez back and a fitter rooney will be a big help to them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:46 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

joe cole was playing heh. who do you mean though ashley young i hope.

Ashley Young; legend in the making.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 18:50 
Obsolete

I'm waiting for someone to tell Roy Keane this isn't Football Manager 2008/09 and he can't bid for and buy as many players as he can get his hands on!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:02 
Sleepyhead

*weeps and weeps and weeps*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 22:48 

Curiosity wrote:
*weeps and weeps and weeps*

At least you didn't go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 23:11 
Time Out for Fun

ha I went to my game and we won mother fuckers. fighting with hull for 3rd place.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 23:16 

Runcle wrote:
ha I went to my game and we won mother fuckers. fighting with hull for 3rd place.

Battle of the giants. The sky 4 are quaking already.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:49 
Time Out for Fun

Hello, still wanting footy conversations, so what do you think of your team in the 2/3 weeks so far? where you think theyll come? what players do you think your club need before the transfer windows closes?

So far my team newcastle have got at least one point more than I thought they would have from the opening two games and the team is full of players enjoying the game and alot of players with points to prove like owen, guthrie, guiterrez, beye, taylor and there seems to be a greater sense of team work and effort than season before. I think a top 10 finish is entirely possible and possibly fighting around the uefa cup spots if we get a few more players in the right positions although time is running out.
As for signings, our defense doesnt look too bad so far, barring colocinis dodgy start against man u and steven taylor playing volleyball on saturday but n'zogbia isnt a left back and is a weak link in our back 4, luis enrique has never looked confident either so a left back should be a main priority. Also a decent back up striker would be nice especially since owen and vidukas injury shifts might overlap at some point, and finally a playmaker for the centre of midifield as we seem a bit to limited in attacking with only using wingers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:22 

So, Villa then. Better than expected last year finishing 6th with a tiny squad. Scored more league goals than enyone except Man U and Arsenal, but also conceded more than anyone else in the top half apart from Man City (who conceded 8 on the last day for a laugh).

Our signings so far have been of the defensive variety, finally signing a right back after choosing to go all of last season without a proper one.

So, scores loads, but concedes loads, but spent big on defense in the transfer window. Surely we're heading in the right direction?
Well, we've scored 6 in two games, which is more than anyone else, but we've conceded 5, which is as many as anyone else. So, no change at all then.

Obviously, a few of you may have heard about the ongoing Gareth Barry transfer thing, which will presumably reach an interesting conclusion on Sunday, when we have to play Liverpool.

We definitely need another striker and another right-sided midfielder, and maybe something else in the middle as well if Barry decides to bugger off somewhere.

I think we'll probably finish around 6th again, it's hard to say at the moment, but the other teams expected to challenge the top 4 haven't really done anything good either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 16:59 
Sleepyhead

Joans wrote:
So, Villa then. Better than expected last year finishing 6th with a tiny squad. Scored more league goals than enyone except Man U and Arsenal, but also conceded more than anyone else in the top half apart from Man City (who conceded 8 on the last day for a laugh).

Our signings so far have been of the defensive variety, finally signing a right back after choosing to go all of last season without a proper one.

So, scores loads, but concedes loads, but spent big on defense in the transfer window. Surely we're heading in the right direction?
Well, we've scored 6 in two games, which is more than anyone else, but we've conceded 5, which is as many as anyone else. So, no change at all then.

Obviously, a few of you may have heard about the ongoing Gareth Barry transfer thing, which will presumably reach an interesting conclusion on Sunday, when we have to play Liverpool.

We definitely need another striker and another right-sided midfielder, and maybe something else in the middle as well if Barry decides to bugger off somewhere.

I think we'll probably finish around 6th again, it's hard to say at the moment, but the other teams expected to challenge the top 4 haven't really done anything good either.

We desperately need a right winger. More than anything else, as NRC playing there just unbalances the whole side. I'm a big fan of Nigel, but he's not a bloody winger. Get a winger like Milner, SWP et al, get NRC in the middle with Barry, get more space for Ashley due to not always attacking through the one flank, win more games.

Simple, innit?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:05 

Curiosity wrote:
Joans wrote:

We desperately need a right winger. More than anything else, as NRC playing there just unbalances the whole side. I'm a big fan of Nigel, but he's not a bloody winger. Get a winger like Milner, SWP et al, get NRC in the middle with Barry, get more space for Ashley due to not always attacking through the one flank, win more games.

Simple, innit?

You'd think so, for the first half on saturday we were doing Stoke no damage at all by constantly trying to attack down the right.
With about 5 minutes of the half left, the midfield reorganised to put Young on the right and Barry on the left. Then we started attacking down the left. *We need a slaps forehead dimlie*

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:00 
UltraMod

At this rate, AFC Bournemouth will have zero points by Christmas. Up the Cherries, etc. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:43 
Time Out for Fun

Looks like you villains are getting milner, hes just handed in a transfer request.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 17:20 
Excellent Member

The Gods mock us so.

First Liverpool spawn a raggedy raggedy win to get through to the Champions League group stages.

Now Human Rights FC are 1 minute from going out to a Danish pub team and get an equalising via an own goal.

TBH, I'd rather the Scousers hadn't gone through. Because laughing at them never, ever grows old.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 17:47 

Can someone explain why they just fixed the champions league draw to put Roma in Chelsea's group without drawing a single ball?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 18:05 

Wait, who are all these ridiculous teams in the champions league draw?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 19:57 
Excellent Member

I know! Celtic! Bloody Celtic!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 
Sleepyhead

Plissken wrote:
The Gods mock us so.

First Liverpool spawn a raggedy raggedy win to get through to the Champions League group stages.

Now Human Rights FC are 1 minute from going out to a Danish pub team and get an equalising via an own goal.

TBH, I'd rather the Scousers hadn't gone through. Because laughing at them never, ever grows old.

Another reader of The Fiver, I see.

:)

Transfer deadline day today. Ooooh, excitement! I'm hoping that VIlla sign a striker that isn't named Kevin Doyle.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:45 
Ticket to Ride World Champion

I am hoping Burnley sign a new team. And a manager who realises that accurate through balls to a quick striker are not the same as long balls over the top to said strikers head.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 22:16 

Why haven't we signed anybody yet?

What the hell is going on at Man City?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 22:24 

I'm enjoying today more than can possibly be healthy.

The whole of football has entered bizzaro world.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 22:28 

From what I can gather someone at Man City thinks they're playing Football Manager.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:12 
Sleepyhead

Joans wrote:
From what I can gather someone at Man City thinks they're playing Football Manager.

With the cheats turned on.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:15 

Curiosity wrote:
Joans wrote:

:DD

I think they're going to find that they've used an editor to give the club loads of cash, but without increasing their reputation they still won't be able to sign anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:18 
Time Out for Fun

Joans wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Joans wrote:

I think they're going to find that they've used an editor to give the club loads of cash, but without increasing their reputation they still won't be able to sign anyone.

erm robinho is going to city.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:28 

Well it never used to work for me. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:37 
Sleepyhead

Runcle wrote:
Joans wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Joans wrote:

erm robinho is going to city.

Or is he?

I still think that it's either a ploy to get Chelsea to up their price, or Robinho doesn't know that there are two teams in Manchester...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:42 

Apparently he has now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 23:44 
Sleepyhead

Joans wrote:
Apparently he has now.

That has got to be the most unusual transfer from out of nowhere that I've ever seen. The new owners bought the club and on the first day splash out 30+ million on a world class player, right from under the nose of Chelsea?

Their due diligence staff must be fucking fantastic!

Also... very glad that Villa have played them once already!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:23 
Chinny chin chin

Keegan to walk out of Newcastle. You heard it here first.

Although I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:43 
Sleepyhead

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Keegan to walk out of Newcastle. You heard it here first.

Although I may be wrong.

First? It was on the news a couple of hours ago that he might walk after 'crisis talks'!

Reply to topic  [ 2873 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 58  Next