Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Pimp Your Blog!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:21 
Awesome
Yes

Calling all Bloggers on this here forum. I know a few of you have got blogs and that in your signatures, and I've gone and subbed to the RSS feed as a result, but I am like a man possessed, and want even more reading material.

As I respect the healthy majority of you on here, please post a link to your blog, with a couple of lines about the sort of thing you write about (if it even has a unifying theme) so I can waste away some more of my hours please. This is especially important for those of you who don't link your blog a lot, because I may have missed it.

Post subject: Re: Pimp Your Blog!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:23 
Awesome
Yes

Oh, and a mod may want to change the title to Pimp THAT Blog, or Pimp A Blog, or something....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:26 
Legendary Boogeyman

After writing a blog about a specific thing for a month, I must say I feel no compulsion to keep it up, writing about any little thing that comes to my brain like most blogs seem to do. I doubt anyone would give a toss about my brain dumps.

Although I suppose I could do an angry man blog, that would be very easy to populate.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:29 

I thought this place was your angry man blog?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:31 
Legendary Boogeyman

Perhaps it needs a dedicated home. It might be cathartic.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:34 

Make another thread and I'm sure we'll come up with a name for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:35 
That Rev Chap

I make uninteresting notes about the games I'm playing at http://www.inverty.com.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:35 

Um, may as well.

http://www.askduds.co.uk

Originally set up so I could answer any and all questions sent to me, but no-one really does so I've got nothing to answer. Now just an excuse for occasional rants about news, politics and motorsport with the occasional one liner thrown in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:36 
Excellent Member

http://www.mikelanders.co.uk

I'm in the middle of getting stuff written more often. And writing an RSS feed for it.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:38 

It's in my sig anyway, but, http://www.fscked.co.uk/, about random stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:42 
Awesome
Yes

Good stuff people!

Owen, your Seaman diary is one of the most excellent little peices of goodness I've seen for a while.
Duds - everyone likes a personal opinion. Subbed.
Plissken - Yes, sort out an RSS feed please!
Richard - I already sub to yours, and get told on your blog when you twitter, and on your twitter when you blog. Dugg your iPhone server figures theorising at one point as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 20:47 

richardgaywood wrote:
It's in my sig anyway, but, http://www.fscked.co.uk/, about random stuff.

Giving away as much or as little detail away as you wish, where do you work Rich? Your little blue circle puts you somewhere out the back of the Student Union, but I don't remember there being a lot there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:00 
Kindly deeds done for free

My long-neglected blog is at http://tossr.com but feel free to have a browse anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:03 

Mr Russ wrote:
Richard - I already sub to yours, and get told on your blog when you twitter, and on your twitter when you blog.
I'm still not 100% on that. I have WordPress set to just collect a daily summary of all Twitter posts now. I have a lot of people who only sub one feed or the other (mates and such) so I do like some cross-posting. Does it annoy you?

Quote:
Dugg your iPhone server figures theorising at one point as well.
Yeah, I was pleased with that stuff. I'm trying to write more in general; I have a lot of draft posts half-done.

Joans wrote:
Giving away as much or as little detail away as you wish, where do you work Rich? Your little blue circle puts you somewhere out the back of the Student Union, but I don't remember there being a lot there.
Keima in the CBTC. If you remember walking past a lot of tall, red railings just around the corner from the Woodville, that's the building.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:05 
Legendary Boogeyman

Presenting my new blog, made in the last 30 minutes:

http://www.brokenmind.co.uk - the blog of an angry man.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:06 

richardgaywood wrote:
Joans wrote:
Keima in the CBTC. If you remember walking past a lot of tall, red railings just around the corner from the Woodville, that's the building.

Only everyday on my way home from the maths building.

Edit - CG, you need to keep a big piece of wood by the front door for next time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:16 
Awesome
Yes

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Russ wrote:
Richard - I already sub to yours, and get told on your blog when you twitter, and on your twitter when you blog.
I'm still not 100% on that. I have WordPress set to just collect a daily summary of all Twitter posts now. I have a lot of people who only sub one feed or the other (mates and such) so I do like some cross-posting. Does it annoy you?

No, the summary is a lot better. But I'm probably in the minority of people following you on both mediums. (media?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:21 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
http://www.brokenmind.co.uk - the blog of an angry man.
So very, very subbed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:23 
SavyGamer

SavyGamer.co.uk - Video Game bargains

Although I now also have a podcast, and am writing a lot of reviews, and have a few other features planned in the future.

And a kickass site redesign in the pipeworks. It is looking incredible (it's not me making it, so I am not bragging, the guy who is doing it for me has mad skills)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 21:39 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

http://www.mattbuildsatomcat.co.uk
It's about how I'm going to build a Tomcat, because there's hardly anything on the web about it at the moment. It will be dull unless you are building a Tomcat, or feel like seeing a mechanical retard build something that falls apart the first time it's started.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 23:20 

Mr Russ wrote:
No, the summary is a lot better. But I'm probably in the minority of people following you on both mediums. (media?)
Amusingly, completely at random, my Facebook status integration with Twitter has started working by itself. So now my blog posts get tweeted, and then get reposted into Facebook, and I just got a comment on my blog from a former colleague who saw the link on Facebook. Now if I could just generate blog posts automatically from Facebook content I could sit back and retire to count the ad revenues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 23:32 
SavyGamer

heh, I automatically post all my blog posts to twitter, and I wonder what would happen if I posted my twitters to my blog...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 23:48 

LewieP wrote:
heh, I automatically post all my blog posts to twitter, and I wonder what would happen if I posted my twitters to my blog...
If you use TwitterTools -- and I think you do from the post format -- it's clever enough not to put itself into a loop :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 23:53 
SavyGamer

I use twitterfeed. I think twittertools is only for wordpress isn't it?

Edit: and I use blogger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 23:59 

Hah, yes, TwitterTools is a Wordpress plugin (from alexking.org) for Twitter integration. It's the one I use. I have no idea about blogger. Turn it on and let's see!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 0:41 
SavyGamer

I don't dare, I might break the internets.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 0:51 
Where are you?

Mr Russ wrote:
please post a link to your blog

Revert to Saved (http://reverttosaved.com/)
Sort of a blog to augment my work for magazines, so it covers gaming, web stuff, media rants and such-like. If I get time this week, I'm also planning on proofing and editing the 7000-word transcription of my Mike Mignola interview and putting that online.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 0:55 
SavyGamer

Which mags do you write for again?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Playgirl ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:10 
Where are you?

LewieP wrote:
Which mags do you write for again?

At the moment, mostly MacFormat, .net, Computer Arts, and Retro Gamer, with occasional scribbling for a half-dozen others.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:17 
SavyGamer

I met a girl who said she was friends with the guy that started Retro Gamer the other night in Chorlton.

Heh, her and her sister described me as "that super interesting guy"

Small world I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:48 
That Rev Chap

Mr Russ wrote:
Owen, your Seaman diary is one of the most excellent little peices of goodness I've seen for a while.

Thank you. Pity my blog's not as interesting. I sometimes have this crazy plan to write interesting stuff about the games I play, but then I can never think of anything, especially as I try to avoid spoilers. So it's all "I got a new high score" and "I did two new levels" and "I unlocked a green car".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:41 

I have a blog, but I don't much know if there's anything on it that'll interest you :munkeh:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:47 

Dudley wrote:
Um, may as well.

Originally set up so I could answer any and all questions sent to me, but no-one really does so I've got nothing to answer. Now just an excuse for occasional rants about news, politics and motorsport with the occasional one liner thrown in.

See, when I first heard of ask Duds, I hoped that was exactly what is was - like Ask Monkey - a place for peopel to ask you questions.

but that's not immediately apparrent - there needs to be some text explaining where we can do this on teh landing page of the blog. I just spent five minutes trying to work out where to submit a question - if you made it more apparrent how/where to do this, you'd get more questions.

In celebration of finding the link, Monkey and I devised a question for you to answer.

Rev Owen - I am extremely impressed with you sticking to your blogging - it's very up to date and thorough excellent stuff :D I am playing Animal Crossing too. You will be getting the Wii version, won't you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:54 
making out to faces of death

I didn't want to comment on your blog, Mimi, but I think you're in peril of a world of legal pain claiming copyrights on anything Beatle related.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 

Nah, it's my image, I can copyright my illustration of whoever I want. I have had this discussion with a few artists before and I can copyright my drawing, because it is a representation and not a phtograph, or some such nonsense. Nobody can use my drawing to make, for example, their own lunchboxes, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:01 
INFINITE POWAH

I would almost certainly want to ask a lawyer before coming to that conclusion (I'm not an IP lawyer but I'm about 75% certain you're right, for what it's worth), but I suspect it's a relatively low risk matter anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 
Excellent Member

Although it isn't being updated any more, people found our honeymoon blog a decent read.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:09 

Mimi wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Um, may as well.

See, when I first heard of ask Duds, I hoped that was exactly what is was - like Ask Monkey - a place for peopel to ask you questions.

but that's not immediately apparrent - there needs to be some text explaining where we can do this on teh landing page of the blog. I just spent five minutes trying to work out where to submit a question - if you made it more apparrent how/where to do this, you'd get more questions.

In celebration of finding the link, Monkey and I devised a question for you to answer.

Well there is,

http://www.enterspace.org/askduds/?page_id=2

The about page :) And the first post of the blog actually, but point taken. I will be researching your question thoroughly at work today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:11 
That Rev Chap

Mimi wrote:
Rev Owen - I am extremely impressed with you sticking to your blogging - it's very up to date and thorough excellent stuff :D I am playing Animal Crossing too. You will be getting the Wii version, won't you?

If I don't my wife will murder me. So, yes.

Also: I just two minutes ago paid off my final home loan in the DS version.

WOO HOO!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 

Mr Chris wrote:
I would almost certainly want to ask a lawyer before coming to that conclusion (I'm not an IP lawyer but I'm about 75% certain you're right, for what it's worth), but I suspect it's a relatively low risk matter anyway.

I checked with the copyright people at D.A. some time ago (it is actually from a pretty old illustration that I did a long while ago) and they sent me some useful links to legal information regarding artworks of famous figures.

Basically, it comes down to if you use your own stock images you are fine.

If you use another artist's/photographers stock you have to obtain permission from the copyright holder of that photo IF your finished piece is substantially similar in style and presentation to the original. Being a cartoon, and also the pose and arrangement being substantially different to the original, my picture is well above the requirements. It's the old 30% rule, stupid because it isn't actually a rule nor a quantifiable measure, but I did check this all out some time ago.

EDIT: i have just forwarded my query to one of the DA seniors (as she is a friend) and asked her if she'd mind doing me a favour in asking the lawyer there, who does all the legalities stuff regarding art copyright, so he'll have a proper firm answer, and she said she'll get right to it, so that's that done, but thanks for the concern, as it was something I looked into so long ago I never really worried about it, but further clarification never harms, .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:15 

Dudley wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dudley wrote:
Um, may as well.

Well there is,

http://www.enterspace.org/askduds/?page_id=2

The about page :) And the first post of the blog actually, but point taken. I will be researching your question thoroughly at work today.

Oh, I did find the page, but it needs to be made bigger, or the link be a graphic or something more eye-catching, or to read 'click here to ask Duds', then you'll get more questions, and that's such a fun idea for a blog. 99% of people will ask 'what does Monkey eat?'

Also, I hope you enjoy researching our question. It's something I have always been curious about.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:17 

My only theory currently involves a tremendously awful pun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:24 

sumatopoppih is not acceptable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:29 

Well there goes my other plan to ROT13 it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:21 
Excellent Member

Mr Russ wrote:
Plissken - Yes, sort out an RSS feed please!

Well volunteered for debugging!

RSS Feed v1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:26 

Plissken wrote:

CDATA is
Quote:
<![CDATA[...]]>
You feed seems to have
Quote:
[!CDATA[ ... ]]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:35 
Excellent Member

HAPPY NOW?

(Cheers. God, I have never got my head around XML.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:39 

Plissken wrote:
No. It needs more puppies. And a free pony with every download.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 22:50 
Excellent Member

That will be in RSS Feed v2.0.

Still, it has got me tidying the site up. I did it while I was learning ASP.NET, so it is rough as all hell behind the scenes

Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next