Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pimp Your Blog!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 16:24 
Not to be confused with elbow

Oooop, this is a dead'ed thread I suppose but...MY BLOG: http://katsramblesthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Ignore the huge piccy I added of me on there...I'm not vain, really! I just happen to like that pic and wanted to check the 'add piccy' function *twiddles thumbs*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 16:50 
making out to faces of death

I heartily endorse the purpleness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:04 

AceAceBaby wrote:
I heartily endorse the purpleness.

Purple is the new black...as said so...by me. I LOVE the colour!! Virtual Hi 5 on the purple-ness front

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:08 
baron of techno

oh the purplonity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:09 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:20 

Ack! I no see image >.<

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:42 
UltraMod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:48 

myoptika wrote:

oh my god!! THAT IS HORRIBLE!! Seriously, read my blog on my 'phobia's and fear' section. THAT thing is one *tries to block the 'I love you, you love me' song out*

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 17:51 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

It's just the "This old man, he played one" song, slowed down with different words.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 18:14 
Excellent Member

Grim... wrote:
It's just the "This old man, he played one" song, slowed down with different words.

Which is why they must all die, before they destroy more of the basic building blocks of musical excellence.

Tori Amos's breathy whispery cover of that on her 'Caught A Lite Sneeze' single is my fave thing by her. It is very breathy whispery. It is then followed by her cover of Chas 'n' Dave's 'That's What I Like'. Not so much.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 18:29 

Barney and The Bear in the big blue house get me....those 'brows' he has....holy hell, crap on a goddamn cracker they are scary! They move ALL the time, like two caterpillars humping...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 18:41 
UltraMod

I thought you liked purple things.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 18:45 

Barney the Dinosaur is a hundred times worse if you like purple.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 18:52 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Barney the Dinosaur is a hundred times worse if you like purple.

Here, here! He is an abom...abom...abom....he's a bloody bad thing!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:04 
Best
Board Mother

Shin wrote:
Barney and The Bear in the big blue house get me....those 'brows' he has....holy hell, crap on a goddamn cracker they are scary! They move ALL the time, like two caterpillars humping...

I LOVE Bear in the Big Blue House!! Cha cha cha!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:23 
Rude Belittler

Barney and Bear pale in comparison to the creepiest thing on kids TV. The Wiggles.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:37 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

This reminds me of that story where some little girl in the USA saw a real bear while out camping and ran toward it with her arms out for a hug. I think you can probably guess how that ended.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:46 
Peculiar, yet lovely

Grim... wrote:
This reminds me of that story where some little girl in the USA saw a real bear while out camping and ran toward it with her arms out for a hug. I think you can probably guess how that ended.

The bear sued for $400,000 and went on to host a short-lived chat show on America's favourite news channel, KBBKW.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 0:50 
Peculiar, yet lovely

The creepiest kids' tv thing I've seen for a while is the midnight garden, or something like that. It's faintly cute but moderately creepy, and the fact that it's sometimes cute makes it somehow worse. It also shares the faintly hallucinogenic feeling of some of the best 80s children's tv, and as a bonus, features a brand of nonsense-speak names and words that unshakeably strike me as vaguely racist. There's at least one episode about the "ninky nonk", for instance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:15 

:this: GET THAT PIC AWAY! >.<
Seriously though, what the FUCK is up with kids tv?! Does anyone remember 'Button Moon?' I mean...I couldn't eat with utensils for years of my life after that, jeeeez! I was quite a scared child, now turned into a scared adult!

Ah good, my new avtar is working

Also...'My name is iggle piggle, iggle iggle iggle, iggle piggle'
THAT is in my head everytime I hear 'Night Garden' mentioned. I look after a friend of mines kid sometimes and she LOVES it! Macca Pacca is well weird >.<....now Gaz knows why I get all the nursery rhyme and kids tv stuff right on the Quizzes :) we are so gonna win tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 21:46 
Legendary Boogeyman

Just thought it was worth mentioning I've drained off the bank holiday's excess anger into this blog post.

Ah, I feel much happier now, even though it is work tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 21:50 
Excellent Member

*smiles*

Mate of mine is an ex-car salesman. He's got some stories - but I pass any offer through him, to see if it was bullshit. FOr instance, my and my wife got our Skodas on a "Cost price plus a quid" deal and I thought it was too good to be true, but he pointed out that the dealer will make more off the bonus from the manufacturer for shifting stock than they will on the car anyway.

But yeah, if you went to the Toyota dealer I think you went to... (On St Marys Way?)

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 21:52 

Comical's Blog wrote:
The car we wanted was not available in the UK for ‘14 weeks’. Toyota, he said, only have a fixed number they’re allowed to sell and after that no more. As such the only car available was a 5 door model that was £400 more expensive. Later in the conversation, after losing my cool and telling him no deal would be made on a 5-door model, MAGICALLY as many 3-door models as we wanted were suddenly available. What an enormous fucking lie, to actually tell us the car we WANTED wasn’t available in order to try to force us to buy something more expensive. What a CUNT.

Should I be looking to decipher some sort of code from "MAGICALLY WANTED CUNT" or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 21:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

Plissken wrote:
*smiles*

Mate of mine is an ex-car salesman. He's got some stories - but I pass any offer through him, to see if it was bullshit. FOr instance, my and my wife got our Skodas on a "Cost price plus a quid" deal and I thought it was too good to be true, but he pointed out that the dealer will make more off the bonus from the manufacturer for shifting stock than they will on the car anyway.

But yeah, if you went to the Toyota dealer I think you went to... (On St Marys Way?)

We considered going to the Stockport one, however we went to Macclesfield first (nearest to gf), and then Altrincham today.

I think my tactic now will be to ring the dealer and be very concise about the deal I want on the phone. Something along the lines of 'I want the car for this. If you can sell it for this, let me know, otherwise I'll not waste my time'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 21:58 
Excellent Member

If you want, I'll get the name of a guy at RRG Stockport. My father in law got his car from them, ironically after being pissed about by the Vauxhall dealership down the road. They waved bye bye to 20 years of custom, right there. (And that stupid fucking woolly mascot thing is quite clearing wanking himself off in the window.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

A name is good and gratefully received, but will it get me the deal I want? ;)

Edit: Obviously I say 'me' but I don't mean me, but I just can't in good conscience send the gf out to negotiate with a dealer herself. She's not like me. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:52 
Excellent Member

ComicalGnomes wrote:
A name is good and gratefully received, but will it get me the deal I want? ;)

Well, I can always get him to pre-warn the bloke!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 23:30 
Sleepyhead

Joans wrote:
Comical's Blog wrote:
The car we wanted was not available in the UK for ‘14 weeks’. Toyota, he said, only have a fixed number they’re allowed to sell and after that no more. As such the only car available was a 5 door model that was £400 more expensive. Later in the conversation, after losing my cool and telling him no deal would be made on a 5-door model, MAGICALLY as many 3-door models as we wanted were suddenly available. What an enormous fucking lie, to actually tell us the car we WANTED wasn’t available in order to try to force us to buy something more expensive. What a CUNT.

Should I be looking to decipher some sort of code from "MAGICALLY WANTED CUNT" or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:58 

I can't help but wonder exactly why you're getting a brand new car instead of a used Aygo. This one is only £4,500 for example.

Although that's a 3 door. This is a 5 door and is about the same price, but has much lower mileage and is a year younger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 

It did seem odd to me to have a big thing about getting a good deal and not being scammed, while casually setting fire to £50 notes (buying brand new). I enjoyed reading it, though. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:36 
baron of techno

GazChap wrote:
I can't help but wonder exactly why you're getting a brand new car instead of a used Aygo.

Or indeed the second hand Citroen C1 which is the cheapest of the 3 badges this car is sold in.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:38 
Legendary Boogeyman

GazChap wrote:
I can't help but wonder exactly why you're getting a brand new car instead of a used Aygo. This one is only £4,500 for example.

It'd take my gf 4 years to put 22k miles on a new car, so if it only loses 4 grand in that time then that's a bit of a bonus :) She, like me, wanted new just to preclude any possible problems from a previous owner/dodgy seller, and wanted the warranty, and of course, wants the fuzzy fun feeling of a new car.

Fun update!

Yesterday we ran her details through a car broker website which, as we speak, is contacting Toyota dealers country wide for the best deal on the Aygo. The Macclesfield branch have obviously noticed the enquiry, because the salesman from Saturday rang her at 9am this morning to try to revive the sale. She told him the terms - £7.5 for the car and £3.5 on the part-ex, please.

He started talking about how he could 'maybe fiddle with the interest rates' on the financing, but cheerfully she wasn't buying it. Why do salesman think the only objective when buying anything is to pay as little as possible for as long as possible? Fllnnnngd.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 

ComicalGnomes wrote:
It'd take my gf 4 years to put 22k miles on a new car, so if it only loses 4 grand in that time then that's a bit of a bonus :) She, like me, wanted new just to preclude any possible problems from a previous owner/dodgy seller, and wanted the warranty, and of course, wants the fuzzy fun feeling of a new car.

The 5d 2007 model I listed above will still have the manufacturer's warranty on it (typically 3 years, so down to 2) and it's highly unlikely that they're driving it hard enough to cause problems if they've only put 7,800-odd miles on it.

The "fuzzy fun feeling" of a new car is frankly over-rated, especially at such a price premium. Still, not any of my business what you guys do with your money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:50 
baron of techno

No offence to you or your gf, comical, but it genuinely surprises me how much of their hard earned cash people are prepared to part with in return for the New Car cachet. And on Finance, are you mad??

About the only worthwhile thing you get with a new car is the new car smell, and even that supposedly gives you cancer..

You're as likely to get *more* problems with a brand new one anyway - time and again I hear about people dragging their new purchase back to the dealer half a dozen times in the first year, at great inconvenience to themselves. The shine soon wears off that.

And wow, haggling with dealers over the price? No wonder you're permanently furious - this is the type of thing I'd go to almost any length to avoid, including just paying the bloody sticker price.

Still, you're doing it so we don't have to, right? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:00 
Legendary Boogeyman

I see your logic Gaz, and I do agree. If you want it new you pay the piper and recognise you're paying over the odds for that priviledge. Personally I'd never had a new car, so I'd like one at least once, just so I now what it's like. :)

As for the gf, well, it's her money, and if I wasn't there screaming 'NO' in the dealer's face she'd have bought something way over the odds (moreso) already.

The principle of my blog post remains the same though, the car could be second-hand but the rules still apply. They're cunts, they lie, and they're overcharging you regardless.

Another update

Just to remind you - she wanted the 3 door Aygo for £7500 (list price £8045).

The dealer has just rung back again to offer her a 3 door Aygo with air conditioning (not as standard, is an extra that normally costs £500) for £8277. What's more, this would be a second-owner car, as 'apparently' its currently registered to the dealership as it was 'supposed to be a spare show car'. They've come down on the finance though, 5.9% instead of 8%.

Either way, I've told her to tell them to fuck off. This is the same deal abstracted into a different form. On Saturday they offered her £200 off the list price without air con. All they've done here is added the air con and offered her £200 off the cost of the extra. It's the same deal. She'd want the car + AC for, at most, £8000 for this to be an improved deal, otherwise I've told her to stick to her guns and demand £7500 for the basic model that isn't some second-owner bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:02 
Legendary Boogeyman

kalmar wrote:
And wow, haggling with dealers over the price? No wonder you're permanently furious - this is the type of thing I'd go to almost any length to avoid, including just paying the bloody sticker price.

Man, I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:07 

22k miles over four years, the car will never be run in right. Buyers would probably prefer some honest motorway mileage than assumed stop-start town driving, so that will probably harm the resale value. It can take 10k miles to loosen up an engine to where it starts running properly. Look into it, anyway. It might be worth convincing her to go on a few trips to the lakes or something while she has it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:13 

I bought nearly new from a car supermarket, no haggling to be had there.

Which is why I paid a smidge over half retail for a 6 month old car with 4900 miles on it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:15 

Also, if anyone's girlfriend needs a warm fuzzy feeling, I can provide for considerably less than £4000. :hat: :munkeh:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:17 
baron of techno

AceAceBaby wrote:
[color=#400080]22k miles over four years, the car will never be run in right.

Ain't that the truth. The transit I got last year had the suspiciously low mileage of 45k on it - on a 10 year old van? Well I went for it anyway, and it's been OK, but it's nowhere near as smooth to drive as my dad's one, which is the same age and has 230K miles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:19 
Legendary Boogeyman

Good lord ;)

Buying a new car is akin to buying coffee from Starbucks. It's about fours times as much as homemade own-brand stuff, but zillions of us buy it anyway 'coz we just want it'. So 'OMG NEW CAR = AIDS' arguments aside... :)

Dealer has rung back, upset that we're not taking his offer. She restated, once again, that she wants it at £7500. Now he's tried to tell her that she must remember that they're not really getting £3500 for her car, but actually £3000, and they're 'making up the loss themselves'. Well cry me a fucking river.

Anyway, she's told him its what she wants, and that she knows its not an unreasonable price because she's checked it out on a car brokering website. He's gone off now, again, to 'see what he can do'. Why do these people, in the face of an unmoving ultimatum, keep coming back with the same old shit repackaged in a different box?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:25 

If he has nothing better to do, it's worth his time to try bludgeoning people into a better (for him) deal. At least until close to the end of the fiscal quarter, and he's got a month in hand yet for that. If he finally comes round to £7600 with £3500 part-ex your girlfriend might take it. And he'll get his sale, and thousands of her money pounds, despite the fact that you think he's the worst kind of scum. When people who actively despise you are still willing to give you piles of cash, it's understandable to see why he wouldn't give two hoots what you think of him. It's not as if anyone told him there would definitely be no sale, because he's a twat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:34 
baron of techno

ComicalGnomes wrote:
Good lord ;)

Buying a new car is akin to buying coffee from Starbucks. It's about fours times as much as homemade own-brand stuff, but zillions of us buy it anyway 'coz we just want it'.

Sure, if you can afford to walk into the dealers and drop the 10k or whatever and drive off - I can see that, in fact I almost put money down on a MiEV which isn't even out until the end of next year.

But to borrow money to do it and even then spend ages at the counter trying to get a large discount off the asking price and arguing the toss? Hell, even going to multiple different stores to try your luck when you get knocked back?

Well, you appear to be able to deal with that so fair enough, and I am enjoying reading the saga :)

I'll tell you what I reckon though, these guys have a price they'll want to get for the car, and they'll try to get that from any angle as you've discovered. Under some circumstances they might flex a bit more than usual: but they're only going to do that on cars that aren't moving.

If you're looking at some unfashionable wagon with poor MPG, and it's been sitting on the dealer's lot for a year, yes, *then* they'll flex. Or if they've bought a batch of cars cheap near the end of a revision as a "get you in the door" pile-em-high strategy, you'll get a good deal then.

But a *lot* of well heeled people are trading down to small modern cars these days simply because it's sensible, and they're going to pay in cash and aren't going to expend time and dignity trying to get £500 knocked off.
So I think you'll be struggling to get them to move on an Aygo, especially one they'll have to transport in, because they just don't need to bother.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:39 

Telly Wheeler Dealer Bloke who is now on The One Show would probably whisper in your earpiece that you must demand Mats, Flaps and Fuel in the price!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:43 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

AceAceBaby wrote:
Also, if anyone's girlfriend needs a warm fuzzy feeling, I can provide for considerably less than £4000. :hat: :munkeh:

Quite. Just nick their ladyshave.

I will, at some point in my life, buy a new car. My current car was one year old, and my next one will probably be 4 years old or so. There's something important about buying a new car, regardless of the sense it makes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:44 

And Road Tax!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 

Craster wrote:
I will, at some point in my life, buy a new car. My current car was one year old, and my next one will probably be 4 years old or so. There's something important about buying a new car, regardless of the sense it makes.

There are only a few cars that I would ever consider buying new - the Nissan GT-R, the Corvette ZR-1, or (should they ever start production again) the DeLorean DMC-12.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:46 
baron of techno

GazChap wrote:
And Road Tax!

And first registration fee!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:52 

And cigarette lighter!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54