Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Speed kills
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:57 
INFINITE POWAH

All very true, markg, and there seem to be two seperate arguments going on that get confused and mixed up -

(1) speed limits are bad, m'kay; and

(2) speed cameras are bad, m'kay.

There are definitely issues with speed cmaeras, but I'm very much in favour of speed limits. I've yet to hear a suggestion from someone that would involve doing away with speed limits and not having teenagers twatting through villages at 60 miles an hour in the absence of policeman to determine that they're driving dangerously.

I think having speed limits plus the laws on dangerous driving/due care and attention are pretty much fine as they are - the former set out an absolute maximum which everyone is aware of, and the latter cover those instances where people are driving within the speed limit but overtaking dangerously, say.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 
making out to faces of death

Binary thinking like that is the basic problem.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 

Mr Chris wrote:

I agree. Let's debate (2), that's much more interesting. What do you think of the statistics I have presented, Mr Chris?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:07 
Sitting balls-back folder

People do twat about at 60 through built-up areas despite the speed limits (and are complete cunts).

I would entirely agree that a well-placed speed limit is good (although I would strongly disagree with current enforcement policies, ie speed bumps). I do think however that speeding should not be the sole basis for a fine/charge on national limited dual carriageways and motorways. Using it as a Bonus Multiplier would be awesome, though*. As would introducing a German/Japanese-style limiter on cars, and I'd go closer to the 112mph of the latter than 155 of the former.

I also don't entirely disagree with cameras - I think SPECS cameras are brilliant**, and every traffic light should come with an RLC. Fixed-point speed cameras I don't like (also unreliable ones, as evidence - provided by people convicted using them, natch - of the handheld laser ones seems to suggest).

* And not even costly to implement; all motorway traffic enforcement cars have calibrated speedometers and a large number, if not all, have video.

** If used appropriately; I definitely would not want national coverage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:18 
Excellent Member

BikNorton wrote:
As would introducing a German/Japanese-style limiter on cars, and I'd go closer to the 112mph of the latter than 155 of the former.

Doesn't stop your chavved up Nova doing stupid mph in a built-up area, which is far more dangerous than doing 100mph on a motorway.

Book me in the Face | Tweet me. Tweet me like a British nanny.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:22 

I really, really can't decide how to take that. Mostly as a personal affront, at the moment, because it's so badly distorting my post that I can't read it any other way, no matter how I try.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:32 
Gogmagog

BikNorton wrote:
People do twat about at 60 through built-up areas despite the speed limits (and are complete cunts).

I would entirely agree that a well-placed speed limit is good (although I would strongly disagree with current enforcement policies, ie speed bumps). I do think however that speeding should not be the sole basis for a fine/charge on national limited dual carriageways and motorways. Using it as a Bonus Multiplier would be awesome, though*. As would introducing a German/Japanese-style limiter on cars, and I'd go closer to the 112mph of the latter than 155 of the former.

Disagree, strongly. I don't think 'limiting' cars would work. It would only 'work' until a manufacturer broke the deal, as what happened in the IntercontinentalAttackPlatform wars in the motorcycle industies.

BikNorton wrote:
I also don't entirely disagree with cameras - I think SPECS cameras are brilliant**, and every traffic light should come with an RLC. Fixed-point speed cameras I don't like (also unreliable ones, as evidence - provided by people convicted using them, natch - of the handheld laser ones seems to suggest).

I like specs, as it only affects numberplates on the front. It's a good time to make good progress.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:34 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

BikNorton wrote:
I really, really can't decide how to take that. Mostly as a personal affront, at the moment, because it's so badly distorting my post that I can't read it any other way, no matter how I try.

I'm sure it wasn't.

Let's keep it as friendly as we can, folks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:37 

None of the German or Japanese manufacturers will normally break it, although I believe BMW would do so in the factory for things like the M3 CSL if you have a good enough racing licence.

Then again the Bugatti Veyron; maybe that rule is falling by the wayside (or maybe they've worked around it by saying it's made in Italy).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:42 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

I agree. Let's debate (2), that's much more interesting. What do you think of the statistics I have presented, Mr Chris?

I am not much surprised by them. I'm not surprised there hasn't been much of a decrease in road deaths since the 90s, to be honest.

It comes down to whether cameras are an enforcement tool (and in that role they can only ensure people stay within the speed limit in the 100m in front of them, so aren't much use) or a tool to decrease deaths. And it makes sense that the decreases will tail off once you've already stuck them on the accident hotspots. After that the cameras seem to get stuck where people are most likely to be speeding - not necessarily where they are most likely to prevent deaths. Which, of course, adds to the suspicion that they're a revenue raising tool.

I still think that if we're going to have speed cameras, they should be hidden. That way it's not just those 100 metres in front of the camera that are having the limit enfroced, but putatively every metre of every road.

But whether we have cameras or not, we need the traffic police back - there are many more traffic crimes than just speeding. Take the mobile phone thing, for instance - it's been illegalised, but it's impossible to enforce without the bloody police doing so.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:47 

Mm, that was the core issue with the rename/paint/expose of Gatsos - that they're supposed to increase safety in dangerous locations; hence the stuff above plus a new camera supposedly only being placed at a location where there is a recent history of severe injury/fatality.

So by that argument, if people know a camera is coming and can see it, they're more likely to slow before the blackspot, as opposed to still careening through the blackspot but getting points and a fine a few days later, if they're not dead.

Which does at least have some logic behind it, which is quite refreshing from Government, even if it's somewhat skewiff compared to the original point of them (as I'm sure you can guess, I agree with this logic over hide'n'fine, which is even more surprising).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:52 

Mr Chris wrote:
It comes down to whether cameras are an enforcement tool (and in that role they can only ensure people stay within the speed limit in the 100m in front of them, so aren't much use) or a tool to decrease deaths.
If enforcing speed limits doesn't decrease deaths, injuries, and property damage, why would we bother to do so? I don't see these as separate issues at all.

Quote:
I still think that if we're going to have speed cameras, they should be hidden. That way it's not just those 100 metres in front of the camera that are having the limit enfroced, but putatively every metre of every road.
That, however, only compounds suspicion that they are revenue generators, suspicion that is somewhat founded, based on the statistics we have already discussed. I think everyone agrees that using them purely as revenue generators is rather naughty and it would be best if the police were careful to ensure their actions could not be construed like that.

Quote:
But whether we have cameras or not, we need the traffic police back - there are many more traffic crimes than just speeding. Take the mobile phone thing, for instance - it's been illegalised, but it's impossible to enforce without the bloody police doing so.
"Illegalised"? Is that fancy lawyer speak for "criminalised"?

:DD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 13:56 
INFINITE POWAH

richardgaywood wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
It comes down to whether cameras are an enforcement tool (and in that role they can only ensure people stay within the speed limit in the 100m in front of them, so aren't much use) or a tool to decrease deaths.
If enforcing speed limits doesn't decrease deaths, injuries, and property damage, why would we bother to do so? I don't see these as separate issues at all.

I meant reducing deaths in a specific death blackspot - my fault for not being specific.

Quote:
Quote:
That, however, only compounds suspicion that they are revenue generators, suspicion that is somewhat founded, based on the statistics we have already discussed. I think everyone agrees that using them purely as revenue generators is rather naughty and it would be best if the police were careful to ensure their actions could not be construed like that.

Indeed. I'd be happy if the revenue from fines went to, say, the NHS instead, which would help reduce that suspicion. Or just have points as the penalty, and no fine.

Quote:
Quote:
"Illegalised"? Is that fancy lawyer speak for "criminalised"?

A deliberate made up word, there. I'm trying to get it to catch on... :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:21 

Mr Chris wrote:
Or just have points as the penalty, and no fine.

The problem there is that it would just make it even "better" to drive without a licence.

Still, at least they're trying to get tough now, with the VLED (really, would it have been so hard to at least have a reasonable acronym for the replacement of "road tax"?) and insurance penalties of crushing your car. Hopefully lapsed MOTs are in or will soon be joining that club as well. Difficult to justify crushing your car for a non-injurous* offence though.

Which is a disgraceful practice (if indeed crushing is what actually happens, and not just for effect); surely any MOTable car should be sent to auction? Fine the offender £40 for an MOT, if it fails off to recycling with a further fine of £150.

* If that doesn't mean what I'm using it to mean, I mean 'an offence during the committing of which no injury was caused'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:33 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Mr Chris wrote:

:this: for any fixed fine.

A fine of £60 can be crippling to one person, and small change to the next.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Grim... wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

:this: for any fixed fine.

A fine of £60 can be crippling to one person, and small change to the next.

Still, 3 points is likely to add £60 to your next insurance bill anyway....

BikNorton wrote:
The problem there is that it would just make it even "better" to drive without a licence.

Hmmm. True. So, let's give the cash from the fines to the NHS, or to, I don't know, me.

Quote:
Still, at least they're trying to get tough now, with the VLED (really, would it have been so hard to at least have a reasonable acronym for the replacement of "road tax"?) and insurance penalties of crushing your car. Hopefully lapsed MOTs are in or will soon be joining that club as well. Difficult to justify crushing your car for a non-injurous* offence though.

It does seem ridiculously harsh, especially as the car could be worth somewhat more than the "debt". And that's it - it's just non-payment of a debt, isn't it? Do they come and demolish your house if you're late with your council tax?

Quote:
Which is a disgraceful practice (if indeed crushing is what actually happens, and not just for effect); surely any MOTable car should be sent to auction? Fine the offender £40 for an MOT, if it fails off to recycling with a further fine of £150.

I thought they used to do this - they got towed, and then impounded cars got auctioned off if the MOT wasn't paid, or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:36 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Nah, insurance companies don't care about points until you've got 6-9 of them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:37 

And what do points make?

(Sorry.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:37 

Kern wrote:
And what do points make?

Railway tracks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:51 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

Grim... wrote:

Mine bloody did.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:55 
INFINITE POWAH

Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Mine bloody did.

So did my wife's.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:56 

Yeah but Grim... is like the queen or the NHS, he's so rich he underwrites himself.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 14:58 

I don't think they're big on unattended cameras in North Yorkshire. I do know that there's a camera van often right at the exit to the A64 from Tadcaster, and Police volvos (and unmarked cars) driving up and down that road quite often. It would be interesting to see how that affects traffic collision statistics compared to unattended cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:00 
SupaMod
Est. 1978

Direct Line and NFU are the two companies I insure my cars with - Direct Line cares when you have 6 points, NFU when you have 9.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:02 

Mr Chris wrote:
Quote:

It does seem ridiculously harsh, especially as the car could be worth somewhat more than the "debt". And that's it - it's just non-payment of a debt, isn't it? Do they come and demolish your house if you're late with your council tax?

If you've not got a valid licence or MOT, you have no insurance (and possibly aren't qualified to drive). If you have no insurance, the people you plough into have nowhere to go for recompense but court, which will take ages and return something approaching zero.

Which is all fairly unlikely if you don't pay your council tax on time, and why the Government feels "encouraging" proper documentation is more important for cars. More surprisingly lucid, if somewhat off-target logic from someone in Government. Blimey.
AceAceBaby wrote:
I don't think they're big on unattended cameras in North Yorkshire. I do know that there's a camera van often right at the exit to the A64 from Tadcaster, and Police volvos (and unmarked cars) driving up and down that road quite often. It would be interesting to see how that affects traffic collision statistics compared to unattended cameras.
They regularly hide a van behind bushes above the eastbound Eccles exit of the M602. I'm not a fan of that tactic, especially as it blocks the pavement. Even though I'm in a car and am alongside it, so it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:07 

BikNorton wrote:
If you've not got a valid licence or MOT, you have no insurance (and possibly aren't qualified to drive). If you have no insurance, the people you plough into have nowhere to go for recompense but court, which will take ages and return something approaching zero.
It's also very hard to get away with not paying council tax, as it is attached to a fixed asset that can easily be tracked (i.e. your house). It's a lot easier to get away with not paying car tax, as you can fraudulently declare it SORN then keep driving it. Unless a passing policeman happens to run a PNC check on you, or you pass a semi-auto tax camera, you can potentially get away with this for ages.

The enhanced penalties reflect the risk of getting caught.

I have a great story about the local council towing my old car away, which was declared SORN and parked on a private parking area.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:08 
INFINITE POWAH

Did you cut it in half like that bloke in Gloucester?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:11 

Or people buy those cars from empty lots/the roadside with no current documents, or give a false address to the previous owner. If it's cheap enough, why would they care if it gets towed or crushed? I think someone joked once it would be cheaper to buy some anonymous roadside jalopy than get the train, if you wanted to drive to london on the cheap- just leave the keys in it when you get there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:19 

Mr Chris wrote:
Did you cut it in half like that bloke in Gloucester?
It's a story I would like to archive for the ages. I'll write it up for my blog and post a link here when I'm done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I had a nightmare time trying to prove to the DVLA that I no longer owned an old car. Because it explosmed on me and I got towed to the scrapyard, I didn't have the V5, so I couldn't get the scrapyard owner to sign the V5 counterfoil there and then. I had to fill in my part and send their bit off to them, which they obviously never bothered completing. I basically had no proof I was no longer in possession of the car. I had to get the AA guy to write me a sworn statement in the end.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:28 

Bureaucracies are fun, because they take a common law system where you're a criminal if you do this, that or the other, and turn it into one where you're a criminal if you don't do something, which is more of a code napoleon thing, probably.

I would be upset if the council or whoever came and stole valuable parts and scrap metal off my driveway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:29 
Part physicist, part WARLORD

It's daft how you have to keep declaring your vehicle SORN every 12 months else face the wrath of the DVLA or whoever is in charge.

I don't think they bother sending notices half the time either if your 12-month period is coming to an end. I'll need to see when my old bike was declared, so cheers for the reminder!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:29 

AceAceBaby wrote:
Or people buy those cars from empty lots/the roadside with no current documents, or give a false address to the previous owner. If it's cheap enough, why would they care if it gets towed or crushed? I think someone joked once it would be cheaper to buy some anonymous roadside jalopy than get the train, if you wanted to drive to london on the cheap- just leave the keys in it when you get there.

Joke nothing, someone did it.

Bought a Sierra in London, insured and taxed it for 1 month (got a refund afterwards for remaining time), drove 2 people to Scotland for cheaper than the best train price.

Might even have been Top Gear Magazine back in the pre-TV show days.

EDIT : AHA! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1479878.stm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:34 

"The petrol cost £87.53"
Blimey, remember those dizzy days of wonder and freedom...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:35 
INFINITE POWAH

Petrol at my favourite petrol station has now dropped to 112 per litre. I thought, "goodness, that's cheap", then remembered that it was half that about 18 months ago, and slapped myself for being sucked in by their cost cutting tokenism.

We're doomed, aren't we?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:37 

My Dad, some few years ago wrote:
I'm not filling up there. No way I'm paying 80p a litre.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:39 
INFINITE POWAH

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:40 

It's 110.9p here at the moment, down from 115.9p the other week. Morrisons dropped the prices, then everywhere else followed suit. I was hoping they were going to play off eachother, but it doesn't look that way.

Petrol has risen 25p or so a litre since I started driving, and that was fairly recently :( :( :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:41 
INFINITE POWAH

I started my new job in june last year, commuting 60 miles a day. It was about 78p a litre back then. A week or two ago it was 120p.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:41 

Mr Gordon Brown, probably wrote:
Of course, in real terms, things have never been cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:42 
INFINITE POWAH

I would really, really hate to be poor right now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:44 

Mr Chris wrote:
I started my new job in june last year, commuting 60 miles a day. It was about 78p a litre back then. A week or two ago it was 120p.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Really? Maybe my memories of such low prices have been worryingly repressed then. I started riding in april last year and could have sworn the prices were in the low 90s, but I didn't pay too much attention.

Shocking :'(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:45 
INFINITE POWAH

nynfortoo wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

Really? Maybe my memories of such low prices have been worryingly repressed then. I started riding in april last year and could have sworn the prices were in the low 90s, but I didn't pay too much attention.

Shocking :'(

It was either in the high 70s or low 80s, yeah.

I shall look it up, actually, as I may be massively wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:46 

I know. Only being able to afford a 37" LCD to watch Sky Football on, I wouldn't know where to put my face with the neighbours. And our Jordan wants a Nintendo DS for his birthday and my kids get what my kids want, so we'll be eating Iceland turkey twizzlers. And I've had to switch to Lambert and Butler for my ciggies.

Tax hikes on two litre-three litre engined cars is hitting the poorest families! >:(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:49 
INFINITE POWAH

Ah, snobbery.

/JPickford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:52 
Legendary Boogeyman

Fair comment though by Ace, a lot of people are very inefficient with their spending, so their level of poverty is often relative to what they're used to. In other words, people don't want to cut back on the essentials like FAGS AND BEER, and this makes them more poor than they'd otherwise be.

Fucking hell, despite earning a fairly decent wage I'd bankrupt myself if I drank and smoked regularly, so I don't know how anyone 'poorer' than me can cope.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:54 
Legendary Boogeyman

Also Chris, when I passed my driving test 8 years ago, the petrol at my local pump was 79.9p, which is about the only time I bothered to remember. Since then it's been on a steady increase, and only jumping to silly degrees in the last year or two.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:55 
Hibernating Druid

Up north our 2 star is still 15p a flagon.

'Not without talent but dragged down by bass turgidity'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:56 
Legendary Boogeyman

Zardoz wrote:
Up north our 2 star is still 15p a flagon.

How much is that in furlongs per two weeks?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 15:56 

A change in my job means I'm now also commuting 60 miles a day, rather than the 4 that I was doing previously. My employers decided to pay my mileage at the time, rather than give me a payrise.

Since then, I've had a 12% payrise, but am still making the mileage claims in the hope no one will notice and stop me, because I would be severely out of pocket otherwise, even with the payrise. I'm having to buy at least £50 worth of petrol every week, and that's if I do little more driving each week than my commute. And before anyone says, no, I cannot use public transport to get to work unless I want to pay substantially more than £50 per week and add another two hours to my journey time. Each way.

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next