Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Accidently underpriced used games..
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 18:55 
Excellent Member

Long pointless rant follows...

Dear game retailers (including general second hand stores that happen to sell games)

I understand that making a mistake when pricing up masses of used games at one time is easily done. I also understand that you can refuse to sell me the item at the incorrect price, which is your right and I do not have a problem with.

What I do have a problem with is staff telling me that "they can't find it" rather than having the decency to tell me "Im sorry there has been a mistake and I have to refuse to sell it you as this is company policy and I'll get bullfucked by the manager if I do".

See, if you tell me the truth I can say "Thank you anyway" and go look for something else that takes my fancy or whatever. But if you give me silly excuses when I know for a fact what has happened I either have to a) say "ok then" as though I have been stupid enough to believe it thereby appearing an idiot to your staff and anyone else nearby who has the nous to realise the truth or b) say "You mean it's been mispriced, and that you don't want to sell it which is quite legal and above board but also don't want to look stupid and would prefer that I did that for you" loudly in front of whoever is in the queue behind me, thereby calling the integrity and competency of your staff into question in front of other patrons. Now, I don't want to do either, but when I need to, it will always be b). Please, do not insult my intelligence.

And especially, please don't expect me to politely say "OK then" if you go, get the game, put it on the counter in front of me where I can see it and read the title (doesn't make a difference that it's upside down from my point of view), ring it up on the till (so that I can see the outward display showing the games name and a price three times as much as the one on the sticker), look at the screen with a non plussed looked for a few seconds, go back to the drawer you originally got the game from, have a cursory glance through the drawer for dramatic effect, THEN COME BACK AND TELL ME SOMEONE HAS GIVEN THE WRONG GAME OUT. 8)

Got to admit, Gamestation is the only store where this has happened and someone has been honest enough to tell me the truth. (For the record, either nothing at Game has been priced wrong, or they just sold it me regardless).

Post subject: Re: Accidently underpriced used games..
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 19:23 

Game's policy when I was there was to always sell unless you think the guy in front of you has been changing tickets.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 19:48 
Goth

Have you ever considered that y'know they genuinely can't find it? Gamestation employ complete morons who file things all over the place so it's probably genuinely lost. Cex are just as bad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 20:00 
Excellent Member

Nirejhenge wrote:
Have you ever considered that y'know they genuinely can't find it?

Well, this kind of negates that theory:

Quote:
And especially, please don't expect me to politely say "OK then" if you go, get the game, put it on the counter in front of me where I can see it and read the title (doesn't make a difference that it's upside down from my point of view), ring it up on the till (so that I can see the outward display showing the games name and a price three times as much as the one on the sticker), look at the screen with a non plussed looked for a few seconds, go back to the drawer you originally got the game from, have a cursory glance through the drawer for dramatic effect, THEN COME BACK AND TELL ME SOMEONE HAS GIVEN THE WRONG GAME OUT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 20:34 
Goth

It's still not 100% definitive proof. This is just circumstantial evidence! I demand a retrial! And an appeal! Objection! Look the goodyear blimp! (runs)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 20:52 
Awesome
Yes

I saw Final Fantasy VII for a tenner in the one in Grimsby, and he "couldn't find it" on that occasion either. But that was before he rang it though the till to check for misprices. He couldn't see it in his drawer at all.

Apparently this was due to the fact that "the discs are already supposed to be in the box, but it looks like someone has nicked them." This rang slightly true, as the demo disc for Final Fantasy VIII was still in there.

Surely that negates the point of the big disc drawers though. I wish I'd bought it when I was there on a previous visit, and it was locked away in the retro cabinet.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 21:57 
Excellent Member

Mr Russ wrote:
I saw Final Fantasy VII for a tenner in the one in Grimsby, and he "couldn't find it" on that occasion either. But that was before he rang it though the till to check for misprices. He couldn't see it in his drawer at all.

I once bought three games from the local Gamestation only to discover that two of them contained the wrong discs and one of them was shite, so I'm not terribly surprised that they sometimes can't find the right game.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 0:19 
Excellent Member

I choose not to support Gamestation as when I was in the market for a HDMI equipped 360 20gb console, they flagrantly lied about not being able to tell which stock had it without taking the 360 out of the box = BIG FAT LIE!

I then got game to pricematch, took th box to Gamestation and pointed out loudly that the way to tell was printed in size 30 ish font in black on the box HDMI

Lying twats.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 
making out to faces of death

I had two pre-owned games I bought recently prove to be faulty. If you saw the discs, you'd see they obviously were borken. One had delaminated near the middle, the other had huge scores thorugh it, and not John Williams ones. I wasn't able to tell at the time, because the blokey in the store decided to sticker the boxes shut for no obvious reason, except the obvious one of preventing me from inspecting the discs while people are queuing.

The did refund/exchange them but it's not like anyone was going to compensate my £6 parking/train fare or my four hours wasted returning faulty games.

Anyway, the moral I decided was to not buy pre-owned games any more. Pre owned games are killing gaming, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:16 
Paws for thought

Always insist on seeing the disc before you hand over the money.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:20 

AceAceBaby wrote:
The did refund/exchange them but it's not like anyone was going to compensate my £6 parking/train fare or my four hours wasted returning faulty games.

I got Virgin Megastore to refund my taxi fare after I got halfway home and found a game I'd paid for wasn't in the two carrier bags of stuff they'd handed me back when I'd gone back earlier to complain that they'd over-charged me £20 for a Wii, which in turn was after they'd tried to claim that Wii Play wasn't eligible for the bundle offer, despite being in their top 20 and the offer clearly saying any two games in the top 20.

Virgin Megastore, there.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:58 
Honey Boo Boo

AceAceBaby wrote:
it's not like anyone was going to compensate my £6 parking/train fare or my four hours wasted returning faulty games.

£6 is a pretty good price for parking your train, to be fair.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:23 
making out to faces of death

MetalAngel wrote:
AceAceBaby wrote:
it's not like anyone was going to compensate my £6 parking/train fare or my four hours wasted returning faulty games.

£6 is a pretty good price for parking your train, to be fair.

:DD It was two different days. It worked out ok on the second. Going into town I got to buy the cool little laptop I'd been waiting for, and with the refund I bought the game new elsewhere for less.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]