Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spam. Getting better?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:06 
Best
Board Mother

It's even in English!
Quote:

Dear Beneficiary,

On behalf of the board of Trustees and Executors to the Will of lateMrs. Susan T. Buffett, I wish to notify you that you were listed asa beneficiary to her WILL, for the sum of US$350,000.00 [Three Hundredand Fifty Thousand US Dollars] in the codicil and last testament of lateMrs. Susan T. Buffett.

Her BEQUEST / WILL were read on Friday, 28th of March, 2008 at theBritish Royal Court, England as she instructed before her death. Mrs. Susan T. Buffett was 72 years old when she died on July 29,2004. Until her death, Mrs. Buffett was a director of Berkshire Hathaway, her husband's holding company, and was president of the Buffett Foundation, which has contributed millions of dollars for education, medical research, population control and other charities.

Being a widely traveled woman, she must have been in contact with your organization in the past or simply you were nominated to her by one of her numerous friends in America. I hereby request that you contact us through our office email address or telephone number as soon as possible to enable us file an applicationon your behalf at the probate office for the execution of the WILL and remittance of your funds.

Yours Faithfully,

Jay Smith ( London )
Email: [email protected]
Phone: +44 703 174 7806

Not sure about the words in capitals though...

Post subject: Re: Spam. Getting better?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:19 
Excellent Member

Surely that's a bit too detailed and esoteric to work with anyone? I mean stupid people will have given up half way through in confusion and the relentlessly gullible will at least be pondering on the effort of filling out an application form and pretending you have a business.

Honestly, I should set up a Spam Training Site or something to introduce some standards of semi-plausibility and authenticity.

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:21 
Awesome
Yes

It will appeal to the greed of those who think they can get something for nothing.

I though this was going to be a thread about how the amount of spam was getting better. I was all set to praise the Gmail filters and everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:22 
Best
Board Mother

nervouspete wrote:
Surely that's a bit too detailed and esoteric to work with anyone? I mean stupid people will have given up half way through in confusion and the relentlessly gullible will at least be pondering on the effort of filling out an application form and pretending you have a business.

Psh, didn't you read it - you can just be nominated by a friend! ;)

Quote:
Honestly, I should set up a Spam Training Site or something to introduce some standards of semi-plausibility and authenticity.

That is a rather amusing thought. :smug:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:23 
Best
Board Mother

Mr Russ wrote:
It will appeal to the greed of those who think they can get something for nothing.

I though this was going to be a thread about how the amount of spam was getting better. I was all set to praise the Gmail filters and everything.

Actually I think it is that was from my junk mail and the first spam I've had in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:25 
SupaMod
Commander-in-Cheese

I thought this one, while clearly spam, was very professionally done:

Quote:
Dear Customer

You have received this email because you have opted for a TV Licence by email. Your application has been processed successfully and your TV Licence is ready to be viewed online.

Simply save the attachment included with this email and then open it with your web browser. The attachment isn't your actual TV Licence, but it will take you to the next step of the process. If you can't see an attachment with this email, please contact us.

If you need any help, please see our simple guide.

You may also find help on our questions and answers page.

Many thanks.

Paul Stanfield
Customer Service Manager
TV Licensing

Haha - just save this attached html file and then open it in your browser! Ha - Yeah, whatever!

Only - it's not spam. That's a real email from the TV licensing people. They do really think that's a sensible way to get people to view their TV license online.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:29 
Excellent Member

If there's just one maxim or truism we could usefully pass on to the next generation, it's 'if it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is'. The world would be so much better if everyone lived by this rule...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 17:32 
Excellent Member

Goddess Jasmine wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

Psh, didn't you read it - you can just be nominated by a friend! ;)

Tsk, silly me. Can't believe I missed that. Somebody pass me the phone, quick! :o

Bored? Why not look at some pretty pictures on my photography blog? Here: http://petetakespictures.com

Come & See My Flickery Pics Here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]