Be Excellent To Each Other

And, you know, party on. Dude.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 2220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official BETEO Achievement Whoring Club of Gentlemen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:48 
Honey Boo Boo

CoD4 finished on Veteran. All that remains unconquered is the notoriously luck-based Mile High Club level. And after almost two hours of attempts on that, I'd had enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 22:08 

That one's a prick to get apparently but I'm sure you'll manage it.

I just maxed out 1942 which I'm quite happy about.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 23:34 
Honey Boo Boo

The hardest bit is the first 15 or so seconds. You have to deal with the guy in the toilet (or run past him and hope you're on that 10% of runs where he doesn't kill you), run into the conference room, throw a flashbang at the furthest wall, shoot the guy waiting for you, dodge past all the guys you just blinded, stab the guy on the right in the little hallway. Getting past that is hard, and leads into an almost-as-hard bit where you must throw ANOTHER flash into the middle of the next area, and then run and hide behind the low wooden partition thing by the emergency exit.

The huge thread about it on Xbox360Achievements has the following two gems:

This guy getting absolutely furious at his 360... astonishingly, it isn't me playing CoD4.

This hilarious (and true) description of how Mile High Club *is* more luck than skill:
Quote:
Let's play the game with a 6 sided die!

ROLL #1:
1: You get hung up as soon as you try to sprint to the bathroom. Reroll.
2: You got shot to shit when you knife the first enemy. Reroll.
3: You get shot to shit by the guy at the doorway to the first seat room. Reroll.
4: You kill the guy in the doorway, toss your flash-bang, and run into DEATH because nobody was stunned. Reroll.
5: You stunned everybody, but they're all in the way. Reroll.
6: You stunned everybody and made it through the doorway without dying. Advance to roll #2.

ROLL #2:
1: Whoops, shotgun in the back. Reroll.
2: You toss your second flash-bang and die instantly. Reroll.
3: You toss your flash-bang, and run out to take cover, but you die. Reroll.
4: You toss your flash-bang too soon, stun yourself. Reroll.
5: You take cover, but you get killed by a guy shooting through three pixels worth of space. Reroll.
6: You successfully stun the enemies, duck and cover, and make it to the stairs unmolested. Advance to roll #3.

ROLL #3:
1: You toss your third flash-bang to the right, run up the left staircase, and die. Reroll.
2: You successfully stun the first area, but are unceremoniously gunned down by the parade in the hall. Reroll.
3: You stun the first area, kill the second, reload, and as you move to kill the guy around the corner, you die. Reroll.
4: You do everything right, but WHOOPS, shot in the back. Reroll.
5: Whoops, wrong button, you die. Reroll.
6: You make it to the hostage! Advance to roll #4.

ROLL #4:
1: Didn't kill the terrorist quickly enough. Reroll.
2: Fucking misaligned sights! Reroll.
3: Ran out of time. Reroll.
4: Whoops, missed too many times! Reroll.
5: Whoops, shot the hostage in the head. Reroll.
6: Saved the day, but you didn't get the achievement. Break controller, break TV, break Xbox.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:36 
Honey Boo Boo

I've just done it! 1000/1000 in CoD4, bitches!

How I did it:

1. Switch to pistol, sprint to toilet door, shoot toilet guy.
2. Go to the left, shoot shotgun guy, throw flashbang at the rear wall, take cover to the left (so you don't get blinded)
3. Emerge from doorway, grabbing shotgun (and discarding pistol), shoot anyone in your way and go into the doorways, heading to the right to hide behind the wall. Reload shotgun if possible (for example, if you're badly hurt) before going on to the next step.
4. Chuck flashbang around the corner and then charge out, shotgun some badguys as you dive behind the overturned wooden table. Let your buddies do the rest of this room for you. Reload while this is taking place.
5. Go up the first staircase and turn left, throw a flashbang up, turn around and go up the OTHER staircase. Your buddies will likely be in front of your, switch to MP5.
6. Pick off as many as you can, run through the door in front of you and watch for guys hiding next to the door as you come in. Hide against the far wall, and ready your shotgun.
7. Throw a flashbang around the corner into the next hallway, and RUN. Shotgun anyone who blocks the way with their blinded stumbling, but leave a few shells for the zig-zag bit of the hallway as you'll run headlong into two trrrrrists.
8. You're now at the dreaded doors. The hostage and lead trrrrrrist emerge. PAUSE THE GAME, have a shot of tequila, have some deep breaths, calm yourself.
9. Now, track the trrrrrrist's head with the pistol. Just as the timer ticks down past 1 second left, he'll lean dramatically to YOUR left. Pop him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 14:59 

well done that man!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:13 
UltraMod

I'm currently trying to finish Bully off. It may be just me, but I'm finding the Nut Shots shmup really difficult. I had no problem with Consumo or Monkey Fling, however.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 20:17 
Skillmeister

Castle Crashers is rather a good whorey game. 160/200 in just under a day and it's been fun to do too. Looking for 3 multiplayer whores to whore off my Medic! and ranked things from.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 20:25 
Paws for thought

I'm a good whore.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 20:27 
Skillmeister

I know you are, Dave.

Also well done Meaty. Veteren CoD went beyond what I consider a fun experience when I spent 2 or 3 hours stuck in that blasted barn trying to get to my evac, so I stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 22:13 
Paws for thought

Dimrill wrote:
I know you are, Dave.

Also well done Meaty. Veteren CoD went beyond what I consider a fun experience when I spent 2 or 3 hours stuck in that blasted barn trying to get to my evac, so I stopped.

ANd yet you've decided to try again. And spent the last hour or so trying to blow up a village. Bet that's got to be annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 22:47 
Skillmeister

Yes. Yes it was. The timed bits of games are... evil.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 23:52 
Sleepyhead

Dimrill wrote:
Yes. Yes it was. The timed bits of games are... evil.

I played this again recently. Getting from the barn to the evac point with the SAS (the time you use the Javelin missiles) is a bloody nightmare. Especially when you make the checkpoint to the top of the road, but then die, and it respawns you at a point where you die in under five seconds almost every time because you passed the checkpoint and accidentally jumped into a hard spot to get out of... GRRRRRRR!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 14:24 
Skillmeister

I've just forced 1000/1000 out of CoD4 too. Blasted blasted mile high poo.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 15:58 
Honey Boo Boo

Getting to the barn isn't too bad... it's getting back across the field to the beginning of the slope that's the tough part. Half the time I'd die clambering over the fence (which you could easily go underneath, honestly) without even reaching the stupid drainage trench you need to crawl along.

Also, if there's loads of anti air detected and the helicopters can't land, why the hell are a) the Harriers not affected, yet b) not able to blow up this anti air for us?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:17 
Sleepyhead

MetalAngel wrote:
Getting to the barn isn't too bad... it's getting back across the field to the beginning of the slope that's the tough part. Half the time I'd die clambering over the fence (which you could easily go underneath, honestly) without even reaching the stupid drainage trench you need to crawl along.

Also, if there's loads of anti air detected and the helicopters can't land, why the hell are a) the Harriers not affected, yet b) not able to blow up this anti air for us?

Getting from the barn to the top of the road was fairly easy for me. Just leave the big barn and go through the right hand side of the little one. Then leg it around the absolute right hand edge of the next field to get to the checkpoint at the road.

My problem was I ran straight across the road and jumped over the barrier, and now when I start from there it starts with me on the other side of the barrier, and you can't get back out without retracing your steps, and 90% of the time you go back up to the road and are killed by unseen enemies. The 10% of the time I actually get out, I get cut down at whichever point I go to next. Since you're on point you have to turn corners and be ready to kill five men, all who can kill you with one bullet... grrrrrrr.

And the airstrikes are a lot less use than they are in the flippin' multiplayer!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:19 
Honey Boo Boo

So... are you on the barn side of the crash barrier? I'm confused.

I just jumped over it, slid down the hill and then ran through the inn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 16:34 
Sleepyhead

MetalAngel wrote:
So... are you on the barn side of the crash barrier? I'm confused.

I just jumped over it, slid down the hill and then ran through the inn.

Started in barn - ran out of barn - ignored the main field in the middle as it was full of baddies - left via small shed to the right hand side - killed a few baddies - ran at full pelt to the road - crossed the road - jumped over crash barrier - STOP.

I'm to the right of the big pylon thing, near the cars that are parked by the next road down (by where the downed chopper is). I'm in the middle of a shrubbery. When i stand up and try to move anywhere, the people on the other side of the pylon/concrete thing (or from down below) shoot the heck out of me.

I'll get it done at some point... just not sure where the path of least resistance is from there, or if I have to start the effing thing again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 17:11 
Skillmeister

I've tried twice now to pick up that last achievement in Frontlines, but after playing CoD4 it's just such a badly designed multiplayer game. I've ended up ejecting the disc both times after 10-15 MINUTES :'(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 20:30 
Honey Boo Boo

In what respect is it badly designed?

What map are you attempting to do it on? I nearly had it on the Oilfield map by being very gung ho, but failed as the other team had one bloke who was fucking, fucking good.

I managed it by going onto a very quite game of Streets, and captured a lot of points and then just rushed in to get the last point to end the game. I only had maybe 12 points altogether, but I was the highest scoring and we won, so that's all it took.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 20:39 
Skillmeister

No teamtalk when not in a squad is a killer on objective based games. So frustrating. Many times I've come top of our team, but ended up losing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 17:01 
Honey Boo Boo

Yeah, that is perhaps the biggest flaw, and that it was a conscious design decision is even more infuriating.

Just keep trying, I guess, or try and win the game quickly once you've got a bit of a lead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 17:52 
Skillmeister

MmMmMMM! Also I'm having trouble finding populated games on there now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 18:22 
Honey Boo Boo

I think Call of Duty 4 has suffocated it.

Has anyone got Shivering Isles for Oblivion? Is it worth the dosh? I'm thinking about having a go, and also making a new character specifically for it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 18:26 
Paws for thought

MetalAngel wrote:
I think Call of Duty 4 has suffocated it.

But CoD4 was released 3 months previously. It would be more fair to say it didn't manage to displace CoD4.

Quote:
Has anyone got Shivering Isles for Oblivion? Is it worth the dosh? I'm thinking about having a go, and also making a new character specifically for it.

I have. I can't remember how much I paid for it. It's pretty much more of the same, really, but without a horse. A few funny moments, I seem to remember. I don't regret buying it, but as you may be able to tell, it's hardly made a lasting impression.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 18:54 
Honey Boo Boo

What I meant was, Call of Duty 4 got so much attention that everyone was too busy playing it to notice anything else coming out.

I've just had an urge to play more Oblivion, and, as my character has more or less done everything, it might be fun to start again and just do the Shivering Isles. Hmmm.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 19:09 

Shiv Isles is okay. Much better than Knights of the Nine which is utter dogshit.

I was thoroughly bored of Oblivion by the time I got around to Shiv Isles though (I'd completed Oblivion twice by then) and ended up rushing through on easy.

watch out for the bit where the story branches as there are achievements based on each choice you make.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 19:11 
Skillmeister

I'm quite tempted to buy it for the 360, but I've completed it thrice on the PC. Which also includes the opportunity to add mods and stuff, which the 360 dunt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 19:46 
Honey Boo Boo

Hmmm! Perhaps both my chars could visit then, and take different paths...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 21:28 
Skillmeister

Good lord Call of Duty 2 is draining. Fun, but draining.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:34 
Honey Boo Boo

Isn't Captain Price in it? And exactly the same age?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:22 
Skillmeister

There's a Cpt Price in it, aye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 
making out to faces of death

Is it still DI Don Beech out of The Bill?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:25 
Skillmeister

Not as far as I'm aware. I haven't really listened to it, to be honest. I've got ear infections in both ears so everything sounds weird and muted.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:39 
Skillmeister

Huzzah! I've managed to get that BLASTED "2 custom challenge victories" achievement in Test Drive. Damn other people playing this game! DAMN THEM! Now, I've got to do another 1,300 miles to get the 5000 mile thing. Any easy way to do this? I spent about an hour driving at full pelt around the interstates last night and only clocked up 200 miles or so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:40 
Honey Boo Boo

Congratulations, man, that is without a doubt the hardest one to get.

Now we just need to get moip and one other person online and we can do the club races thing for you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:44 
Skillmeister

Ta muchly. I think my initial mistake in trying for it was going for the short easy drag race type events. I went for 3 or 4 5 minute plus checkpoint race things and got it quite easily in the end. One event only had me and the creator playing it :S

I whored out Myp's multiplayer ones with him the other day, so he now owes someone else the privilege of losing 30 times in a row :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:45 

Dimrill wrote:
Huzzah! I've managed to get that BLASTED "2 custom challenge victories" achievement in Test Drive. Damn other people playing this game! DAMN THEM! Now, I've got to do another 1,300 miles to get the 5000 mile thing. Any easy way to do this? I spent about an hour driving at full pelt around the interstates last night and only clocked up 200 miles or so.

You're not going to go quicker than the top speed of your car man :)

I'm impressed you're nearly 1000 miles behind me but have completed the whole thing, I haven't even found all the hitchhiker missions yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 
Skillmeister

Yeah, I know. I'm using the Saleen twin turbo thing and it's eating up the road, but it's not especially interesting bombing down the same highways all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 
Honey Boo Boo

Have you done both the around the island races (Millionaire's Challenge and Island Tour) yet? And found all the dealers and unlocked all the bikes and such?

I got really lucky with my challenges.

The first one was for Audis only, as people erroneously believe the TT is the fastest. I beat it easily in the A3.

The second was meant to be a nightmarishly convoluted journey in a Corvette. However, the creator hadn't realized that a short off-road shortcut at the beginning shaved about 30 seconds off the challenge, meaning I had a ridiculously good time that nobody could beat (because nobody else realized about the off-road bit either, I guess)

Thing is, there's lots of glitches and exploits (zomg sploitz) that people use to get ridiculous acceleration.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 
Skillmeister

Yeah, I've done everything except the 5000 miles and the club races. I'm currently using the nice 4 lane highway between Wonkyhonkylulu and WikiwikieBay - Wakawaka Peninsula.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:47 
Honey Boo Boo

The big highway from the southwest corner towards the airport is good and fast, as is the one that cuts north across the island.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:54 
Skillmeister

MetalAngel wrote:
as is the one that cuts north across the island.

That's the fella I'm using. The airport one is a little too narrow to maintain top speed without spanging into one of the many fire/garbage trucks that seem to wander at random across the island.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:01 

Can't help really, I've still got a couple of hundred miles to discover and in doing so, and my remaining challenges, will probably hit 5000 miles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 
Skillmeister

*shakes fist* I've worked out I've got 5 or so hours of top speed travelling in my Saleen to unlock it. :S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 

Do you get a TDU achievement for "lighting up" every piece of road on the map?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 

Yes.

Although I think it gives you a small amount of wiggle room so you're never searching for one tiny piece of offramp in 1000 miles of road.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:23 
Honey Boo Boo

Dudley wrote:
Yes.

Although I think it gives you a small amount of wiggle room so you're never searching for one tiny piece of offramp in 1000 miles of road.

You come damned close to it, though. I was sweeping my cursor around the map towards the end, waiting for it to show the red DO NOT ENTER indication so I could tell where I *couldn't* teleport yet.

I did the 5,000 miles thing almost without realizing, as I was going for cruises all the time with peeps off the Atari TDU forums.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:25 

Coo. I quite liked spotting little bits of road that were darker on the map and having a trundle. I should play it more. I cleaned out my moneh making a club, and my friend has a bajillion credits and loads more clothes. Although apparently buying more than one of something replaces the old one you had with the new one (buying a red t shirt deletes your blue t shirt). So I'm told. Talk about a nightmare for coordinating your outfits. There should be a snappy dresser achievement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:26 
Skillmeister

I systematically warped around to light up the roads, and it unlocked with an entire peninsula still to explore :S I think it must work on 99.5% of roads or something.

Edit: You can have my half a mill Ace if y'wan. I've no more use for money in this game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:27 

It's ok. I can make that much in an evening, I think.

Reply to topic  [ 2220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 45  Next